Official AUFC Thread

Official AUFC Thread

Author
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 2:57 PM
Al Hassan and Mauk are back but Strain, Lopez and Juric are out injured. Not confident at all going into tomorrow.

Ah crap :/
Still, if we are going to beat them it's likely gonna have to be with pace so you never know
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Davide82 - 29 Jan 2021 3:00 PM

Still, if we are going to beat them it's likely gonna have to be with pace so you never know

Pretty much but in an ideal world, Kitto wouldn’t be anywhere near the starting LW spot so I’m not expecting much but would love to be proven wrong.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Pace down the wings - Brown is often caught high and slow to get back so a good counter attack down Roars left could be painful 
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:05 PM

Pretty much but in an ideal world, Kitto wouldn’t be anywhere near the starting LW spot so I’m not expecting much but would love to be proven wrong.

Having said that, if we can get Mohamed Toure running at Gillesphey, I think we could have a lot of joy.

Gillesphey is good in the air but has looked suspect when people are running at him.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:15 PM

Having said that, if we can get Mohamed Toure running at Gillesphey, I think we could have a lot of joy.

Gillesphey is good in the air but has looked suspect when people are running at him.

Gillesphey will monster Toure, he’s been brought up the English way - if Toure gives him grief he’ll go straight through him on a tackle (legally) and Tourre will be lucky to finish the game. 

sub007
sub007
World Class

Waz - 29 Jan 2021 3:18 PM

Gillesphey will monster Toure, he’s been brought up the English way - if Toure gives him grief he’ll go straight through him on a tackle (legally) and Tourre will be lucky to finish the game. 

Yeah nah, Toure has put seasoned pro’s on their asses with his strength, I can’t see Gillesphey causing him many issues.

Kusini is a huge lad but given he’s still young and hasn’t played much, idk how strong he is.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Well between Halloran Toure and one of the other young attackers we have been rotating, pace up front won't be an issue.

I guess you are right it might be Kitto and Halloran wide with Toure in the middle, not sure how he would go being marked by two CBs though so I'd have someone else ST just causing a nuisance really
sub007
sub007
World Class

Davide82 - 29 Jan 2021 3:24 PM

Well between Halloran Toure and one of the other young attackers we have been rotating, pace up front won't be an issue.

I guess you are right it might be Kitto and Halloran wide with Toure in the middle, not sure how he would go being marked by two CBs though so I'd have someone else ST just causing a nuisance really

We played 442 with Halloran and Kitto last week so I’d assume it would be the same except with Yengi in for Juric.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:26 PM
Davide82 - 29 Jan 2021 3:24 PM

We played 442 with Halloran and Kitto last week so I’d assume it would be the same except with Yengi in for Juric.

yeah true sorry, I guess Veart has no real reason to change the formation from last week
sub007
sub007
World Class

Davide82 - 29 Jan 2021 3:48 PM
sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:26 PM

yeah true sorry, I guess Veart has no real reason to change the formation from last week

Actually I’m listening to Veart’s press conference right now and it’s sounds like Mohamed will lead the line on his own and the 442 was only to exploit some of Victory’s weaknesses.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:53 PM
Davide82 - 29 Jan 2021 3:48 PM

Actually I’m listening to Veart’s press conference right now and it’s sounds like Mohamed will lead the line on his own and the 442 was only to exploit some of Victory’s weaknesses.

Geez big test for him if true and I hope his 1v1 ability and speed is not wasted there.

We certainly won't be able to use him like we have been Juric.
Maybe he will play as a false 9/deep striker and we will try play solely on the counter
Waz
Waz
Legend

sub007 - 29 Jan 2021 3:23 PM
Waz - 29 Jan 2021 3:18 PM

Yeah nah, Toure has put seasoned pro’s on their asses with his strength, I can’t see Gillesphey causing him many issues.

Kusini is a huge lad but given he’s still young and hasn’t played much, idk how strong he is.

We’ll see. Gillesphey’s back pocket was big enough for MacLaren and it was Juric I think would have worried him. Tourre up against Brown is my worry, he’s both slow and lazy so it’s a huge test for Brown 
sub007
sub007
World Class

5 games in and it’s clear to see the squad desperately needs some experience and quality. I can’t see us competing for the spoon so we aren’t that bad but at the same time, I think we need a mini rebuild. There seems to be a lot more out of contract players than normal we could see a lot of changes. This could go out the window in a few weeks given changes of form, tactics, injuries, etc but if I were Bruce, this is what I would be doing for next season.

Goalkeepers

Contacted for next season: Delianov, Cox (Scholarship)

Given Gauci, a scholarship player has overtaken Dakota as number two, I’d promote him to a senior contract and release Dakota

Defenders

Contacted for next season: Strain, Timotheou Kitto

Marrone: A very reliable and consistent performer for a number of years and a great servant to the club but this could be his last year. He had a shocker against Perth and was dropped for the Victory game and was benched in favour of Abetew last night. He did way more than Abetew did last night after he came on but it’s too early to say whether he’ll stick around for next season or not.

Abetew: Has played 3 games at Right Back despite being more of a centre back and hasn’t impressed in any of them. Given he will be 22 next season, he needs to quickly lift or be released and at this stage I would unless he shows significant improvement.

Elsey: A solid defender and a local boy who grew up supporting the club. Keep

Jakobsen: Has been one of the league’s best defenders for a number of years but I think we need to look at some younger options. Release.

Smith: On a one year scholarship deal but has been good for the most part. Keep and promote to a full time deal.

Javi Lopez: Looked very good against Victory but has spent a majority of his career at right back where we already have a good Australian player in Ryan Strain. I would release him and use the $ he’s on to strengthen other areas of the squad.

Midfielders

Contracted for next season: D’Arrigo, Caletti, Mauk

Konstandopoulos: A positive box to box mid who provides energy and is capable of scoring goals. Keep.

Caletti: I know I said he’s contracted but since his blinder in round 1, he has been poor and I don’t think we need him. Offer mutual termination and use the coin he’s on to find a cheap backup AM.

Troisi has already departed and the coin he was on can be used to fund a replacement obviously.

Forwards

Contracted for next season: Halloran, Al Hassan Toure, Mohamed Toure (scholarship but should be promoted to full time)

Juric: Looks good so far but not good enough to go overseas again. Keep.

Dukuly (scholarship) : Has shown promise but not AL standard yet. I would promote him to a full time deal just so we can meet the competition rules of having 3 U21 players on senior contracts.

Niyongabire: I like him but given he can’t get a game over Dukuly who he’s over two years older than and isn’t AL standard yet, I can’t justify keeping him. Release.

Yengi: Showed some promise last night but isn’t going to be playing much football given the players ahead of him. Keep but loan out.

Costanzo (scholarship): Hasn’t played yet but still young enough to stay on a scholarship deal. Keep.

In summary, this is what I think the squad should look like next season.

Starting XI

Delianov
Strain Elsey New Smith
new
Mauk new
Halloran Juric new

Second XI

Gauci
Marrone/new New Timotheou Kitto
D’Arrigo
Konstand new
A Toure M Toure Dukuly

scholarships:
Cox
Costanzo

Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 1:06 PM
5 games in and it’s clear to see the squad desperately needs some experience and quality. I can’t see us competing for the spoon so we aren’t that bad but at the same time, I think we need a mini rebuild. There seems to be a lot more out of contract players than normal we could see a lot of changes. This could go out the window in a few weeks given changes of form, tactics, injuries, etc but if I were Bruce, this is what I would be doing for next season.

Goalkeepers

Contacted for next season: Delianov, Cox (Scholarship)

Given Gauci, a scholarship player has overtaken Dakota as number two, I’d promote him to a senior contract and release Dakota

Defenders

Contacted for next season: Strain, Timotheou Kitto

Marrone: A very reliable and consistent performer for a number of years and a great servant to the club but this could be his last year. He had a shocker against Perth and was dropped for the Victory game and was benched in favour of Abetew last night. He did way more than Abetew did last night after he came on but it’s too early to say whether he’ll stick around for next season or not.

Abetew: Has played 3 games at Right Back despite being more of a centre back and hasn’t impressed in any of them. Given he will be 22 next season, he needs to quickly lift or be released and at this stage I would unless he shows significant improvement.

Elsey: A solid defender and a local boy who grew up supporting the club. Keep

Jakobsen: Has been one of the league’s best defenders for a number of years but I think we need to look at some younger options. Release.

Smith: On a one year scholarship deal but has been good for the most part. Keep and promote to a full time deal.

Javi Lopez: Looked very good against Victory but has spent a majority of his career at right back where we already have a good Australian player in Ryan Strain. I would release him and use the $ he’s on to strengthen other areas of the squad.

Midfielders

Contracted for next season: D’Arrigo, Caletti, Mauk

Konstandopoulos: A positive box to box mid who provides energy and is capable of scoring goals. Keep.

Caletti: I know I said he’s contracted but since his blinder in round 1, he has been poor and I don’t think we need him. Offer mutual termination and use the coin he’s on to find a cheap backup AM.

Troisi has already departed and the coin he was on can be used to fund a replacement obviously.

Forwards

Contracted for next season: Halloran, Al Hassan Toure, Mohamed Toure (scholarship but should be promoted to full time)

Juric: Looks good so far but not good enough to go overseas again. Keep.

Dukuly (scholarship) : Has shown promise but not AL standard yet. I would promote him to a full time deal just so we can meet the competition rules of having 3 U21 players on senior contracts.

Niyongabire: I like him but given he can’t get a game over Dukuly who he’s over two years older than and isn’t AL standard yet, I can’t justify keeping him. Release.

Yengi: Showed some promise last night but isn’t going to be playing much football given the players ahead of him. Keep but loan out.

Costanzo (scholarship): Hasn’t played yet but still young enough to stay on a scholarship deal. Keep.

In summary, this is what I think the squad should look like next season.

Starting XI

Delianov
Strain Elsey New Smith
new
Mauk new
Halloran Juric new

Second XI

Gauci
Marrone/new New Timotheou Kitto
D’Arrigo
Konstand new
A Toure M Toure Dukuly

scholarships:
Cox
Costanzo

Lopez is also a very good DM and won't be played at RB.
Timotheou could be a starter  as a CB.
AU need an AM but have let it slide so far. This play it out to the WIngs and crosses in the box can be too predictable. They lack technical ability to play it through the middle.
This could be because AU have 1000 wingers.
sub007
sub007
World Class

soccerfoo - 31 Jan 2021 3:27 PM
sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 1:06 PM

Lopez is also a very good DM and won't be played at RB.
Timotheou could be a starter  as a CB.
AU need an AM but have let it slide so far. This play it out to the WIngs and crosses in the box can be too predictable. They lack technical ability to play it through the middle.
This could be because AU have 1000 wingers.

He probably won't play at RB but that's his preferred position. I'm hoping/half expecting Isaias to return so him leaving would free up funds for that to happen.

We don't have an AM because the one we did have left 2 weeks before the season started and it's nigh on impossible to recruit one at the moment. The club have said they are looking for one but it's difficult in the current climate.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 3:34 PM
soccerfoo - 31 Jan 2021 3:27 PM

He probably won't play at RB but that's his preferred position. I'm hoping/half expecting Isaias to return so him leaving would free up funds for that to happen.

We don't have an AM because the one we did have left 2 weeks before the season started and it's nigh on impossible to recruit one at the moment. The club have said they are looking for one but it's difficult in the current climate.

AU should ask for a loan of young Iannucci of Victory. He is getting splinters on the pine unjustly atm.
Lopez will be encouraged and will still be there next season. Isaias was talking him up at the beginning of the season, introducing him to fans on socials.
sub007
sub007
World Class

soccerfoo - 31 Jan 2021 3:54 PM
sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 3:34 PM

AU should ask for a loan of young Iannucci of Victory. He is getting splinters on the pine unjustly atm.
Lopez will be encouraged and will still be there next season. Isaias was talking him up at the beginning of the season, introducing him to fans on socials.

Signing Iannucci would be a completely pointless signing for a parties.

He would be playing even less with us than he would at Victory while he would be a complete waste of a squad spot and money.

No one knows what Lopez’s future would be. He only signed a one year deal and if I were Bruce, I wouldn’t extend it.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 4:02 PM
soccerfoo - 31 Jan 2021 3:54 PM

Signing Iannucci would be a completely pointless signing for a parties.

He would be playing even less with us than he would at Victory while he would be a complete waste of a squad spot and money.

No one knows what Lopez’s future would be. He only signed a one year deal and if I were Bruce, I wouldn’t extend it.

Lopez through ball is excellent like when he set up a goal afew matches back. He would be wasted at RB or LB. He is more a LB where Noah Smith has been playing anyway.
There are no technical players at AU, just speed. Iannucci would get a game every week cause he is technical. Another to consider is Sam Sullivan from Phoenix.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
sub007
sub007
World Class

soccerfoo - 31 Jan 2021 4:18 PM
sub007 - 31 Jan 2021 4:02 PM

Lopez through ball is excellent like when he set up a goal afew matches back. He would be wasted at RB or LB. He is more a LB where Noah Smith has been playing anyway.
There are no technical players at AU, just speed. Iannucci would get a game every week cause he is technical. Another to consider is Sam Sullivan from Phoenix.

Lopez played over 200 games as a RB in La liga lol but he can play in midfield. I’m not questioning his ability but he’ll be 36 next season and I think we can get better value for money if we strengthen other areas of the squad instead.

Iannucci is a young winger who almost certainly isn’t as good as what we have so we don’t need him.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
sub007
sub007
World Class

Nathan Konstandopoulos has likely done his ACL again according to Purebred Reds - Adelaide United Fan TV.

If true, then I'm gutted for him and he gets well soon.

Life's so cruel. Last season he was performing really well and finally got into the starting XI and then he does his ACL. His recovery went well apparently and as soon as he got back into the XI this season it happens again.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Ugh poor bastard.

I've always really liked the "move the ball forward" energy he brings.

Has a few deficiencies in his game but can't help but wonder how good a player (at this level) he could have been if he'd played 70+ games by now. 

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Good player that Yaya Toure. Anyway, Who is the Foreign Midfielder with technical ability AU are talking with Hmmm??
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Just to bump this topic back up to the front page (before AUFC goes to shit again): How good is Juric on a scale of 1 to 10? Personally, he is sitting at an 8 for me.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Davide82 - 16 Feb 2021 10:13 AM
Ugh poor bastard.

I've always really liked the "move the ball forward" energy he brings.

Has a few deficiencies in his game but can't help but wonder how good a player (at this level) he could have been if he'd played 70+ games by now. 

This is his issue, I think he's not going to get past being a journeyman for AUFC.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Deli
Strain                                   Lopez
       Timotheou        Jakobson
                     Juande
         D'Arrigo          Mauk
Halloran                          Goody
                       Juric

Toure  Toure  Niyongambire

Good team.
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
sub007
sub007
World Class

soccerfoo - 28 Feb 2021 5:54 PM
                      Deli
Strain                                   Lopez
       Timotheou        Jakobson
                     Juande
         D'Arrigo          Mauk
Halloran                          Goody
                       Juric

Toure  Toure  Niyongambire

Good team.

I'd be very surprised if Timotheou starts when everyone is fully fit. 

Also will be interesting to see how Lopez and Strain fit into the team. One of them has always been fit while the other has been injured.
sub007
sub007
World Class

If I were picking the team, this is what I'd go with

Delianov
Strain Elsey Jakobsen Smith
Lopez
Juande Mauk
Halloran Juric Goodwin

Gauci, Marrone, Kitto, D'Arrigo, Niyongabire, A Toure, M Toure

Wouldn't be surprised if Carl picks Abetew ahead of Marrone and Yengi over Al Hassan
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

sub007 - 28 Feb 2021 5:59 PM
If I were picking the team, this is what I'd go with

Delianov
Strain Elsey Jakobsen Smith
Lopez
Juande Mauk
Halloran Juric Goodwin

Gauci, Marrone, Kitto, D'Arrigo, Niyongabire, A Toure, M Toure

Wouldn't be surprised if Carl picks Abetew ahead of Marrone and Yengi over Al Hassan

Two mid thirties in the engine room is a concern which is why I went for D'Arrigo as the no.8 and Javi @ fullback. I am a fan of Noah Smith as well.
sub007
sub007
World Class

soccerfoo - 28 Feb 2021 6:59 PM
sub007 - 28 Feb 2021 5:59 PM

Two mid thirties in the engine room is a concern which is why I went for D'Arrigo as the no.8 and Javi @ fullback. I am a fan of Noah Smith as well.

It is a concern for sure but I went that way for three reasons.

1. Javi Lopez is so calm and composed on the ball and is clearly a level above everyone else in the team.
2. Strain is a better player than D'Arrigo and was outstanding before getting injured.
3. D'Arrigo looked ineffective when playing as an 8.
Edited
3 Years Ago by sub007
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

sub007 - 28 Feb 2021 7:06 PM
soccerfoo - 28 Feb 2021 6:59 PM

It is a concern for sure but I went that way for three reasons.

1. Javi Lopez is so calm and composed on the ball and is clearly a level above everyone else in the team.
2. Strain is a better player than D'Arrigo and was outstanding before getting injured.
3. D'Arrigo looked ineffective when playing as an 8.

Only problem is Juande or whoever that Spanish No.6 is not a creative player which your team is lacking I feel.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search