Second "Test" Aus v Pak

Second "Test" Aus v Pak

Author
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 3 Dec 2019 5:38 PM
Funny that Starc with this amazing strike rate, and who has done very well in this series against Pakistan, was dropped for most of The Ashes. 

Think it was a fair call during the Ashes. From memory his red ball form had been mediocre and they aren't the conditions for Starc in general. It's the last place you want someone spraying the new ball around. Although in hindsight, he might have been very useful in that match where we couldn't get the last wicket. That's the thing about him, releases pressure but can take wickets out of nowhere. Very good in specific conditions.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

flyslip - 3 Dec 2019 7:34 PM

Think it was a fair call during the Ashes. From memory his red ball form had been mediocre and they aren't the conditions for Starc in general. It's the last place you want someone spraying the new ball around. Although in hindsight, he might have been very useful in that match where we couldn't get the last wicket. That's the thing about him, releases pressure but can take wickets out of nowhere. Very good in specific conditions.

I think Shane Warne made the good point that yes, he’s expensive, but he’s not in the team to be a line and length bowler. Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson & Siddle do that. Starc gives you that X factor where he can come in with raw pace and blast a few short balls or Yorkers and mix things up a bit.
flyslip
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

ThingyBob - 3 Dec 2019 8:01 PM

I think Shane Warne made the good point that yes, he’s expensive, but he’s not in the team to be a line and length bowler. Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson & Siddle do that. Starc gives you that X factor where he can come in with raw pace and blast a few short balls or Yorkers and mix things up a bit.

Fair observations. He's a certainty to be in our starting 11 against the kiwis, injury permitting. Can be invaluable on our flattish wickets.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Funny that Starc with this amazing strike rate, and who has done very well in this series against Pakistan, was dropped for most of The Ashes. 

why funny?

he was terrible.

like awful...

like even with a good 2018 he still ranked 19th ;)

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I think starc is the best bowler in the world on a wicket where a draw is highly likely

However, if a draw is super unlikely we have much better options because his average is higher than others.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

grazorblade - 5 Dec 2019 1:01 PM
I think starc is the best bowler in the world on a wicket where a draw is highly likely

However, if a draw is super unlikely we have much better options because his average is higher than others.

How much world cricket do you watch? In all seriousness?

You're saying he is a road warrior. As roads lead to draws, dustbowls and green vipers do not. And the best suited to roads. But roads only occur in NZ and Aus. So that makes Starc the best bowler for Aus, except, he isn't. Cummins is clearly outbowling him as did Rabada, Bumrah and many more.

I do agree he is a fine road warrior, though. But the best? I seriously question that...
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Paddles - 5 Dec 2019 1:02 PM
grazorblade - 5 Dec 2019 1:01 PM

How much world cricket do you watch? In all seriousness?

You're saying he is a road warrior. As roads lead to draws, dustbowls and green vipers do not. And the best suited to roads. But roads only occur in NZ and Aus. So that makes Starc the best bowler for Aus, except, he isn't. Cummins is clearly outbowling him as did Rabada, Bumrah and many more.

I do agree he is a fine road warrior, though. But the best? I seriously question that...
No need to lose your manners

As to backing up my claim, if a draw is a danger you care more about strike rates than average.
of all current players above around 20 test matches only Rabada has a higher strike rate. Starc has one of the lowest strike rates of all time but an average in the mid to high 20s which makes him decent but not outstanding on helpful pitches. Cummins might overtake him but its too early to tell if his stats are warped by a small sample size.
Edited
5 Years Ago by grazorblade
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

grazorblade - 7 Dec 2019 5:16 PM
Paddles - 5 Dec 2019 1:02 PM
No need to lose your manners

As to backing up my claim, if a draw is a danger you care more about strike rates than average.
of all current players above around 20 test matches only Rabada has a higher strike rate. Starc has one of the lowest strike rates of all time but an average in the mid to high 20s which makes him decent but not outstanding on helpful pitches. Cummins might overtake him but its too early to tell if his stats are warped by a small sample size.

And I am certain that I said Rabada was better than Starc on roads, SR or everage right? ;) He is right? :) Where's Bumnrah -d dont tell me Bumrah is behind Starc in Aus... now way. I havve to check

SO I checked Bumrah has Starc beat on average and SR in Aus. Shalll I check Rabada too? Or you admit Starc aint all that now against what I said... politely...

Just checked, Rabada has Starc easily beat in Aus... vs Warner and Smith even... :)

So where are you going with this Starc is the best on roads argument?????

Politely you are wrong. And I said you were wrong poilitely without losing my manners. But now I have confirmed all stats. I just knew SA and India thrashed you there in Aus. :)

SHall I do Cummins in Aus too? 

Cummins has the much superior average 22.7 vs 26.8 bvut a slithly worse sr of 48.2 vs 47.7.

Im taking CUmmins on those numbers. But you know - there is a half ball strike rate argument to be had...

Rabada and Bumrah eat starc in Aus :)
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Paddles - 7 Dec 2019 5:22 PM
grazorblade - 7 Dec 2019 5:16 PM

Where exactly do you allege that I lost my manners? old chum?

And I am certain that I said Rabada was better than Starc on roads, SR or everage right? ;) He is right? :) Where's Bumnrah -d dont tell me Bumrah is behind Starc in Aus... now way. I havve to check

SO I checked Bumrah has Starc beat on average and SR in Aus. Shalll I check Rabada too? Or you admit Starc aint all that now against what I said... politely...

Just checked, Rabada has Starc easily beat in Aus... vs Warner and Smith even... :)

So where are you going with this Starc is the best on roads argument?????

Politely you are wrong. And I said you were wrong poilitely without losing my manners. But now I have confirmed all stats. I just knew SA and India thrashed you there in Aus. :)

SHall I do Cummins in Aus too? Oh heck why not... Wait up

Cummins has the much superior average 22.7 vs 26.8 bvut a slithly worse sr of 48.2 vs 47.7.

Im taking CUmmins on those numbers. But you know - there is a half ball strike rate argument to be had...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Rabada and Bumrah eat starc in Aus and ask for more sir :)

The 9th best strike rates of all time for any player with more than 30 tests is nothing to be sneezed at. Bumrah and Cummins might over take him. With Rabada in Australia you are going off small statistics but there is an argument that he his better in those conditions given his impressive career strike rate but too early to comment on Bumrah
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 3 Dec 2019 10:54 PM

why funny?

he was terrible.

like awful...

like even with a good 2018 he still ranked 19th ;)

Starc has redeemed himself, in the recent Test series against Pakistan, and, in the series against Sri Lanka  earlier this year.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

I think it is perplexing that the most successful bowler in the World Cup did not play most Tests against England, because his bowling didn't adhere to coach devised game plans for success in England. 

I just wonder where the selectors will go with a player  like Warner  now he has had a long career, with an average of somewhere near 60 at home and I was told 25 away, today.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search