Second "Test" Aus v Pak

Second "Test" Aus v Pak

Author
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Pakistan still 132 behind our first innings total with only 5 wickets left. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Interesting that GOAT is going around the wicket to the right handers. 

I wonder what the strategy is behind this move?

Labu could have just dropped a hard one at silly mid on! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

flyslip - 1 Dec 2019 10:35 PM
Got to agree that Paine is a very good keeper (especially to spin) and Captain. Good batting average for a keeper also. A shame about the injuries or he might have had the keeping job many years ago. Not very good with drs though.

Not being brilliant with DRS is not sufficient reason to replace a captain doing well - surely? 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

A good pressure over from GOAT in that last one.

I think he is getting good loop, dip and bounce. 

H is bowling some tight line and length too, Good bowling in partnership. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 1 Dec 2019 9:12 PM
Decentric - 1 Dec 2019 6:30 PM

DC..think about it. This is a pink test which usually means there is something for the quicks after dusk. Tim made the correct choice as he now has our quicks belting down a new cherry in the twilight hours. His decision has now been vindicated with three cheap wickets all from the moving ball. Hazlewood back to his best tonite.

Hazlewood bowled very tightly at times today too.

He was suffocating at times.Tough batting for Pakistan against this combo of him and Lyon.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 2 Dec 2019 1:33 PM
Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 12:20 PM

Good point. They are after all in their second strait innings. I think Tim has handled his bowlers well. No long spells.. and time off while the slowies have their trundles. No doubt picking a fourth quick was needed.. but Tim was not to know that he'd be enforcing a follow on. 

I think there were good arguments either way, Baggers. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 2 Dec 2019 4:12 AM
baggygreenmania - 1 Dec 2019 9:17 AM

mid to high 30s is pretty decent overseas these days. It would be one of our best players

I've heard this view expressed about openers' averages being okay under 40, as a few runs on the board makes it so much easier for the number three, four, etcetera to follow. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 1 Dec 2019 9:12 AM
Keyboard Warrior - 30 Nov 2019 9:41 PM

Starc the recipient of three very poor shots. If he is not mopping up cheap tail wickets he is getting gifts to lift his wicket tally. Meanwhile CA and the media are gushing all over him.

Is this a question of Starc being a much better bowler in Aus than England? 

Hence, the domestic attention?

I know we've seen a lot of the likes  of Warner and Starc overseas, tempering our  judgement.

I seem to remember Starc bowling quite well in the Subcontinent, but I could be wrong. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Trailing by 99, could Pakistan put Aus under pressure if they managed a lead over 130? 

Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

On TV they just showed how Josh H’s balls nearly all hit the same spot of good line and length about the size of a hanky against right handed batters.

Impressive! 
flyslip
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 4:22 PM
flyslip - 1 Dec 2019 10:35 PM

Not being brilliant with DRS is not sufficient reason to replace a captain doing well - surely? 

Who wants him replaced? Even if we did, we haven't got anyone near as good behind the stumps to replace him with. I just wish he would pass drs duties on to Smith or someone who is going to be realistic about it. I noticed when he sent a decision to drs the other day his tally at that time was something like 20 failures, 2 umpires call and 2 successes. That's ordinary lol.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 5:10 PM

I know we've seen a lot of the likes  of Warner and Starc overseas, tempering our  judgement.

I seem to remember Starc bowling quite well in the Subcontinent, but I could be wrong. 

He did well in Aussie's disaster tour to SL in 2016. He kept attacking the stumps and went well. The rest of the team had a horror tour.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Rizwan clean bowled Hazlewood. 

I think Rizwan played down the wrong line under lights. 

9-235 under lights with only 1 wicket to go playing against the new ball. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Abbas run out! 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Cummins runs Abbas out. 

Australia 2-0 in the series. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

flyslip - 2 Dec 2019 6:23 PM
Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 4:22 PM

Who wants him replaced? Even if we did, we haven't got anyone near as good behind the stumps to replace him with. 

Some on this forum have called for him to be replaced. 

They think he hasn’t made enough runs, even though he had the third highest batting average of any keeper a few Tests ago, and, he is easily the best keeper -and - captain. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Just missed a bit of the game. 

Did Lyon take wickets 3,4 and 5 bowling from around the wicket to right hand batters? 

Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

I expected Pakistan to be tough to beat after destroying Australia A in the practice, lead up match. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

Paine is just saying how difficult it can be to field with the pink ball under lights. He responded to a question about what they can do better and said field better than yesterday under lights. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 7:55 PM
Just missed a bit of the game. 

Did Lyon take wickets 3,4 and 5 bowling from around the wicket to right hand batters? 

To answer my own question - yes. 

Shane Warne identified that when GOAT bowls around the wicket he gets more body thrust and drive in his action. 

Ostensibly, this imparts more spin and loop on the ball. 

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 7:43 PM
Rizwan clean bowled Hazlewood. 

I think Rizwan played down the wrong line under lights. 

9-235 under lights with only 1 wicket to go playing against the new ball. 

I saw a little tail in DC. Beaut delivery. 
Lyon stole the quicks thunder. His 5 for came out of nowhere. Some poor execution and two clever balls.. specially the one that removed Yasir Shah.

Starc stole the first innings.. Hazlewood the second. Cummins a rather quiet game.

Now for the Black Caps in 10 days. Another day/niter me thinks.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Keyboard Warrior - 2 Dec 2019 8:02 PM
I expected Pakistan to be tough to beat after destroying Australia A in the practice, lead up match. 

Yep. We were ruthless. It has to be said Pakistan erred bringing such an inexperienced bowling attack here. Davey Warner wont mind tho.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 2 Dec 2019 8:46 PM
Decentric - 2 Dec 2019 7:43 PM

I saw a little tail in DC. Beaut delivery. 
Lyon stole the quicks thunder. His 5 for came out of nowhere. Some poor execution and two clever balls.. specially the one that removed Yasir Shah.

Starc stole the first innings.. Hazlewood the second. Cummins a rather quiet game.

Now for the Black Caps in 10 days. Another day/niter me thinks.

There was some criticism of the pink ball from pace bowlers. They think it gets too soft too quickly and needs more work.

Do you think H bowled better than Lyon in the second dig, Baggers?

I definitely like the pink ball Tests and think if the ball is easy to play during daylight hours, it compensates by doing more at dusk.

Paine said he has difficulty not with direction, but depth of the pink ball when catching. He said the ball hits the gloves slower or quicker than he anticipates. He attributed the  pink ball's unique characteristics  to some of the dropped catches.

IMO the pink ball is a another variable just like  different types of pitches are prepared in different countries. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Starc is a real enigma. On song he can rip thru a side with sheer pace. Then he produces a spell where he has trouble landing the ball on the cut surface.. ala Mitch Johnson. Like Johnson he gets a lot of his wickets with bad balls but he can produce the unplayable spell that can net him a brace such as we saw in the first innings tho several of those were due to poor batting or rather impatient batting.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 3 Dec 2019 9:21 AM
baggygreenmania - 2 Dec 2019 8:46 PM

There was some criticism of the pink ball from pace bowlers. They think it gets too soft too quickly and needs more work.

Do you think H bowled better than Lyon in the second dig, Baggers?

I definitely like the pink ball Tests and think if the ball is easy to play during daylight hours, it compensates by doing more at dusk.

Paine said he has difficulty not with direction, but depth of the pink ball when catching. He said the ball hits the gloves slower or quicker than he anticipates. He attributed the  pink ball's unique characteristics  to some of the dropped catches.

IMO the pink ball is a another variable just like  different types of pitches are prepared in different countries. 

The Pinkie is a worry. Great under lites but benign in daylite hours. Were most of those dropped catches in daytime. I am willing to say they were. Starc said the pinkie had characteristics more of the white ball when bowled at day. One bloke that will never bag the pinkie is Hazlewood. He has always produced during the twilite under lites with it and did again here. The two that removed Babar and Ul-Huq on Sunday evening were masterful balls. It was that spell that IMO knocked any remaining fite out of Pakistan.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 2 Dec 2019 5:32 PM
On TV they just showed how Josh H’s balls nearly all hit the same spot of good line and length about the size of a hanky against right handed batters.

Impressive! 

Send the clip to Mike.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 3 Dec 2019 9:31 AM

Starc is a real enigma. On song he can rip thru a side with sheer pace. Then he produces a spell where he has trouble landing the ball on the cut surface.. ala Mitch Johnson. Like Johnson he gets a lot of his wickets with bad balls but he can produce the unplayable spell that can net him a brace such as we saw in the first innings tho several of those were due to poor batting or rather impatient batting.

I love watching Starc bowl. I always sense something exciting is going to happen when he is tossed the ball.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

ThingyBob - 3 Dec 2019 12:10 PM
baggygreenmania - 3 Dec 2019 9:31 AM

I love watching Starc bowl. I always sense something exciting is going to happen when he is tossed the ball.

I heard he has the 2nd highest strike rate in history!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 3 Dec 2019 5:20 PM
ThingyBob - 3 Dec 2019 12:10 PM

I heard he has the 2nd highest strike rate in history!

I’ve just read something like this for those who have taken 200 wickets. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Funny that Starc with this amazing strike rate, and who has done very well in this series against Pakistan, was dropped for most of The Ashes. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search