FFA Cup revamp...

FFA Cup revamp...

Author
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
lost - 2 Dec 2020 11:27 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Dec 2020 11:09 AM

That would be brilliant. There is a couple of months between the end of the A League and the start of the round of 32. It will be interesting to see how A league teams approach the cup. Train straight through or have a miny off season. Some players may come off contract. Might see some A league clubs have their pants pulled down, especially those that missed  the A league finals.

Point is that the A league teams don't seem to value ACL for whatever reason but all other clubs see this as a chance to either re-live some former glory or establish themselves for the first time ever... Lots of them have mad arse "benefactors" who would throw a few mill away on a whim just to see their little suburban club play in ACL... Whatever happens, it will definitely at least be entertaining.
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Anyone know if the name is going to be changed from the FFA Cup?? (ie- to Australian Cup or FA Cup etc)

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 2 Dec 2020 11:17 AM
df1982 - 2 Dec 2020 3:30 AM
This or making the lower A-League teams start in the state qualifiers was the answer. Nix have no business in a "Australia Cup."

Why the issue with Wellington? I presume you have the same problems with the Welsh teams in the English PL, monaco playing in the French league, or those 3 Canadian teams in the MLS? 
And what about those pesky foreigners who keep playing in the Australian open golf or tennis? No business being there.

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Well done FA.  Hopefully they can build on previous years and turn this into a bigger comp.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Angus - 2 Dec 2020 1:34 PM
melbourne_terrace - 2 Dec 2020 11:17 AM

Why the issue with Wellington? I presume you have the same problems with the Welsh teams in the English PL, monaco playing in the French league, or those 3 Canadian teams in the MLS? 
And what about those pesky foreigners who keep playing in the Australian open golf or tennis? No business being there.

None of those countries you mention are in seperate confederations but anyway Monaco is a micro state that might as well be in France, Wales is part of the same TV market as England so it makes little difference and the Canadian teams should be moving to the CPL now that they have their own league. I also couldn't care less about Golf or Tennis and don't really think comparing it's even worth comparing club based sport with a league format to individual sports that operate on a tour basis.

With Australian footballs limited resources, every dollar raised by the game is better spent on an Australian team instead of a foreign team.

Nearly all our broadcast money is raised in Australia with TV money driven by ratings for Australian teams. Wellingtons Fox ratings on the other hand are trash and the SKY TV deal doesn't even cover their participation. If they can't be arsed paying for us gifting them with a professional pathway whilst taking on all the risk of running the competitions, then i see no reason for keeping them at the expense of an Australian team.

Australian teams have a lot more wider benefits for football in their regions as they build academies, train local players, engage local fans and media attention which helps build the overall strength of the game in the community. We get none of those benefits with Wellington, just a professional first team that a few Australians move to and few people care about playing.

Viennese Vuck

petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 2 Dec 2020 6:43 PM
Angus - 2 Dec 2020 1:34 PM

None of those countries you mention are in seperate confederations but anyway Monaco is a micro state that might as well be in France, Wales is part of the same TV market as England so it makes little difference and the Canadian teams should be moving to the CPL now that they have their own league. I also couldn't care less about Golf or Tennis and don't really think comparing it's even worth comparing club based sport with a league format to individual sports that operate on a tour basis.

The French Cup is open to the respective cup winners from French overseas territories.
Although it's a competition within a UEFA nation, teams from North America, Africa and Oceania compete in it as well.

And if one of these teams from North America/Africa/Oceania was to win the French Cup, they would compete in the UEFA Euro league...

Last year's overseas competitors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Coupe_de_France#Overseas_Territories_teams

So there you go. It's not just Australia that has teams from overseas (other confederations in fact) competing in it's domestic cup.

Caterm
Caterm
Fan
Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)

Fantastic news regarding the return of the ffa cup, now for the NPL sides to screw the mums & dads for more money for little Johnny to participate at there club so they can get better players/ coaches and pay them top dollar for there side to make the final and have a chance into ACL, hope it does not happen?
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

petszk - 2 Dec 2020 7:45 PM
melbourne_terrace - 2 Dec 2020 6:43 PM

The French Cup is open to the respective cup winners from French overseas territories.
Although it's a competition within a UEFA nation, teams from North America, Africa and Oceania compete in it as well.

And if one of these teams from North America/Africa/Oceania was to win the French Cup, they would compete in the UEFA Euro league...

Last year's overseas competitors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Coupe_de_France#Overseas_Territories_teams

So there you go. It's not just Australia that has teams from overseas (other confederations in fact) competing in it's domestic cup.

loll carrying on like New Caledonia and French Polynesia are independent countries is a streeeeettttttch. The reality is just these territories are just various degrees of France and with the way the French carry on about their overseas land, they are somewhat obliged to include them in Football.

We on the other hand have no good reason or obligation to include a team from another country that is completely independent and is in another confederation.

Viennese Vuck

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 2 Dec 2020 8:09 PM

loll carrying on like New Caledonia and French Polynesia are independent countries is a streeeeettttttch. The reality is just these territories are just various degrees of France and with the way the French carry on about their overseas land, they are somewhat obliged to include them in Football.

We on the other hand have no good reason or obligation to include a team from another country that is completely independent and is in another confederation.

Didn't new Caledonia have a vote for independence from france??
Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Unless we want to. 
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

I'm fine with Phoenix in the A-League, but I think it would be a good point of difference if the soon-to-be "Australia Cup" were restricted to Australian teams. And good for the Phoenix too to have competitive matches against other NZ sides if they participated in New Zealand's own cup (which has been going on for something like 100 years).

Sure, they would probably win it nearly every year, but surely the opportunity to go head to head against the likes of Auckland City or Canterbury United would be more enticing to their fans than an away match at Bentleigh Greens or whatever.
overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 2 Dec 2020 8:51 PM

Fully support Wellingtons involvement in the Australasia Cup. 

Some on here always bagging Welly, well they are as welcome as Welsh clubs in English Leagues, and are performing well. I say good luck to them!
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

#nixout

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 2 Dec 2020 8:51 PM

They did.  One more referendum to go.

Member since 2008.

lost
lost
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)Hardcore Fan (219 reputation)

Difficult for Wellington. Oceania Confederation consider them an Australian team and Asian Confederation consider them an Oceania team. They are not eligible for the Oceania Champions League or the Asian Champions League. It should be one or the other. FIFA have sat on the fence. Ideally it should be the OCL, so that Oceania would have a professional team in the World Club Championship (or at least a team good enough to beat a professional team). Phoenix should be allowed to compete in the FFA Cup up until the time they are accepted into the OCL.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Dec 2020 10:03 PM
Im glad they didn't  go with the group stages idea... 

Disagree again. A group stage (as a one off) that drags out for 10-12 weeks would have been ideal when we have an 8-month offseason coming up. 

df1982 - 2 Dec 2020 3:30 AM
In general, I like all of these proposals. I imagine the "neutral venue" for the final will be Canberra. Simon Hill mentioned this in an earlier article, and everything else in that article has pretty much panned out (I'm sure he got JJ to speak off the record). 8 out of 12 A-League are within a few hours of Canberra by road (Sydney: 3h, Newcastle: 5h, Melbourne: 7h) and two of the other four are a short flight away. Only Perth or Phoenix would be hard done by.

I would support Canberra as a permanent venue for the final as long as the final was always played on a Saturday to make it easier for everyone to travel. But I would expect the ACT government to pump some money in to make this happen.  

I would also make the permanent date of the final the Saturday after November 16 to always commemmorate November 16, 2005. 

hotrod - 1 Dec 2020 9:26 PM
Bottom 4 playoff too for the AL.
That way there is a definite disincentive to finish in the bottom 4.

yep. this is pretty important. 

TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Think the neutral venue is waste. Should have just been drawn like every game before it. The only reason seems to be ‘But England do it like this..’
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 3 Dec 2020 11:29 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Dec 2020 10:03 PM

Disagree again. A group stage (as a one off) that drags out for 10-12 weeks would have been ideal when we have an 8-month offseason coming up. 

No mate, its only the A league clubs that will have a long off season, the rest of Australian soccer will be just fine.
The new FA, now that the A-league has been left to fend for itself, is tasked with looking after the whole of the game, not just the 11 professional clubs.
Like I've said before, they can organise a leagues cup or some sort of carnival between themselves to fill the empty days before the following season - They play each other 3-4 times a year anyway, what's another 2-3?
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)

TimmyJ - 3 Dec 2020 1:27 PM
Think the neutral venue is waste. Should have just been drawn like every game before it. The only reason seems to be ‘But England do it like this..’

I can’t find where it is quoted by JJ that we are going to do it like this because England do...can you enlighten me.
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

libelous - 3 Dec 2020 3:47 PM
TimmyJ - 3 Dec 2020 1:27 PM

I can’t find where it is quoted by JJ that we are going to do it like this because England do...can you enlighten me.

I just doesn’t make sense here that’s all. That’s e only reason that I can think of. Why else would they do it? 
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

TimmyJ - 3 Dec 2020 4:55 PM
libelous - 3 Dec 2020 3:47 PM

I just doesn’t make sense here that’s all. That’s e only reason that I can think of. Why else would they do it? 

Because having at the home ground of one of the finalists gives an unfair advantage to whoever is hosting (and unlike the A-League grand final, there is no way of deciding this on merit).

And it's not just England that does this, but Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Japan, etc., etc.
df1982
df1982
Rising Star

I would support Canberra as a permanent venue for the final as long as the final was always played on a Saturday to make it easier for everyone to travel. But I would expect the ACT government to pump some money in to make this happen.  

I would also make the permanent date of the final the Saturday after November 16 to always commemmorate November 16, 2005. 

It should be held on the international calendar break in November, which coincidentally enough is usually some time around November 16.

Hopefully the ACT government comes to the table and provides a bit of funding in exchange for long-term hosting rights.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Dec 2020 3:21 PM

No mate, its only the A league clubs that will have a long off season, the rest of Australian soccer will be just fine.
The new FA, now that the A-league has been left to fend for itself, is tasked with looking after the whole of the game, not just the 11 professional clubs.
Like I've said before, they can organise a leagues cup or some sort of carnival between themselves to fill the empty days before the following season - They play each other 3-4 times a year anyway, what's another 2-3?

Also back a league cup if aleague teams want more games. A-league teams plus the NPL premiers for 4 groups of 5 achieves that neatly gives everyone two home and two away games minimum.

Viennese Vuck

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 3 Dec 2020 7:02 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Dec 2020 3:21 PM

Also back a league cup if aleague teams want more games. A-league teams plus the NPL premiers for 4 groups of 5 achieves that neatly gives everyone two home and two away games minimum.

Yeah but the NPL teams in most states are already playing 26 rounds plus finals, plus Npl national finals plus ffa/state cup, they dont NEED the extra games
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
BrisbaneBhoy - 2 Dec 2020 1:02 PM
Anyone know if the name is going to be changed from the FFA Cup?? (ie- to Australian Cup or FA Cup etc)

We all know that it'll be [Sponsor Name] Cup. If they can find one, that is.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

paladisious - 3 Dec 2020 10:12 PM
BrisbaneBhoy - 2 Dec 2020 1:02 PM

We all know that it'll be [Sponsor Name] Cup. If they can find one, that is.

Wasn’t it called “The FFA Cup sponsored by Westfield” before though? 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

df1982 - 3 Dec 2020 6:56 PM

Hopefully the ACT government comes to the table and provides a bit of funding in exchange for long-term hosting rights.

I can't see FA choosing Canberra as a permanent venue for the final unless the ACT Govt comes to the party with financial support. And so they should as travelling fans will bring in a lot of money.

petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Okay, so having a team from another country in Australian competitions (A-League, FFA Cup) is terrible and we shouldn't do it because no-one else in the world does it*.

* No-one else in the world does it, provided you ignore;
Berwick Ranges (English, playing in the Scottish leagues)
Cardiff & Swansea (Welsh, playing in the English leagues)
FC Andorra (Andorran, playing in the Spanish leagues)
Lemlands IF (Finnish, playing in the Swedish leagues)
AP Campionese (Italian, playing in the Swiss leagues)
FC Büsingen (German, playing in the Swiss leagues)
7 clubs from Liechtenstein who play in the Swiss leagues, but have a domestic cup.
Monaco in the French leagues
Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal (Canadian, playing in the US)
Teams from New Caledonia, Tahiti, Reunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc playing in the French cup. (Oceania, Africa, North America playing in France)
The aforementioned teams in the French cup being eligible to qualify for the UEFA Europa league.

But sure, if you ignore all those examples, Australia is unique in having a team from another country competing domestically.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

petszk - 4 Dec 2020 3:03 PM

Okay, so having a team from another country in Australian competitions (A-League, FFA Cup) is terrible and we shouldn't do it because no-one else in the world does it*.

* No-one else in the world does it, provided you ignore;
Berwick Ranges (English, playing in the Scottish leagues)
Cardiff & Swansea (Welsh, playing in the English leagues)
FC Andorra (Andorran, playing in the Spanish leagues)
Lemlands IF (Finnish, playing in the Swedish leagues)
AP Campionese (Italian, playing in the Swiss leagues)
FC Büsingen (German, playing in the Swiss leagues)
7 clubs from Liechtenstein who play in the Swiss leagues, but have a domestic cup.
Monaco in the French leagues
Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal (Canadian, playing in the US)
Teams from New Caledonia, Tahiti, Reunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc playing in the French cup. (Oceania, Africa, North America playing in France)
The aforementioned teams in the French cup being eligible to qualify for the UEFA Europa league.

But sure, if you ignore all those examples, Australia is unique in having a team from another country competing domestically.

With the exception of the MLS franchises (who are a joke of a thing anyway) do any of these other clubs have a guarantee of participation in the first division of their "adopted" countries win, lose or draw? Regardless of where they finish on the table? 
libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)Rising Star (780 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 4 Dec 2020 3:52 PM
petszk - 4 Dec 2020 3:03 PM

With the exception of the MLS franchises (who are a joke of a thing anyway) do any of these other clubs have a guarantee of participation in the first division of their "adopted" countries win, lose or draw? Regardless of where they finish on the table? 

That’s a pretty disingenuous comment to make.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search