The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
I don't think things are as bad as some think.The fact is the last two games we beat ourselves.We dominated possession against two teams that could do nothing except get everyone compact and behind the ball and wait for impatient roar players ,limited in options, to turn the ball over.Which they did time and time again.more patience and thought was needed to bring out the defence and open spaces.
Tactically we played the wrong game .Because NJ and MH needed to win more than the Roar did.Trying to pass through a compact defence was always going to be difficult and having players high up the field when a midfielder walks or passes into trouble in the center of the field is just asking for trouble.options are always available ,just more thought has to go into out thinking the compact defence and forcing the opposition to take some risks themselves.

This is a problem that has been there all season. There are some games where we won or draw and could easily have lost, purely because we became too impatient, lacked pace and there was no movement off the ball.

Champion teams can win a game if they dominating a team that is pushing them and leaving space open, or a team that sits back and waits for you. Brisbane should have put this minor premiership to bed long ago. You afford to let impatience get the better of you.
Edited
8 Years Ago by zimbos_05
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

zimbos_05 wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
I don't think things are as bad as some think.The fact is the last two games we beat ourselves.We dominated possession against two teams that could do nothing except get everyone compact and behind the ball and wait for impatient roar players ,limited in options, to turn the ball over.Which they did time and time again.more patience and thought was needed to bring out the defence and open spaces.
Tactically we played the wrong game .Because NJ and MH needed to win more than the Roar did.Trying to pass through a compact defence was always going to be difficult and having players high up the field when a midfielder walks or passes into trouble in the center of the field is just asking for trouble.options are always available ,just more thought has to go into out thinking the compact defence and forcing the opposition to take some risks themselves.

This is a problem that has been there all season. There are some games where we won or draw and could easily have lost, purely because we became too impatient, lacked pace and there was no movement off the ball.

Champion teams can win a game if they dominating a team that is pushing them and leaving space open, or a team that sits back and waits for you. Brisbane should have put this minor premiership to bed long ago. You afford to let impatience get the better of you.

Yes, impatience and not knocking the ball around smoothly or on the carpet like they use to do under Ange. Clearly this is not a priority under Mulvey. I'm not talking about crosses or long passes just not rolling it on the deck as much as it should be to make it easier on themselves and putting their team mates under unnecessary pressure. It something Mulvey needs to focus on if he wants a champion team. If one still doesn't understand what my point is just look at the replay vs Heart played on the best pitch in the country and compare.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar #1 wrote:
I'd like to see either hingert or Donachie come in at RB and push Franjic further up the field. He gives us some creativity and trickery around the box.

Also Petratos must start instead of Henrique next week. Henrique is useless and fucks up atleast one great goal scoring chance a game either by missing from 6 yards out, not being tall enough for a 5 ft cross or simply getting pushed off the ball. Plus Petratos is a genuine goal threat, Henrique is not.

Agree with all that. I do think Henrique is a great impact threat however and provides that improvisation not demonstrated by other Roar players. The whole team is overall very short and most teams win the heading duals against us. Again something I've been concerned about (contracting too many midgets) before the season.

Petratos I believe should be given a go as central striker, in place of Berisha. Has quick feet and decent movement at speed over short distances.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

paulc wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
I'd like to see either hingert or Donachie come in at RB and push Franjic further up the field. He gives us some creativity and trickery around the box.

Also Petratos must start instead of Henrique next week. Henrique is useless and fucks up atleast one great goal scoring chance a game either by missing from 6 yards out, not being tall enough for a 5 ft cross or simply getting pushed off the ball. Plus Petratos is a genuine goal threat, Henrique is not.

Agree with all that. I do think Henrique is a great impact threat however and provides that improvisation not demonstrated by other Roar players. The whole team is overall very short and most teams win the heading duals against us. Again something I've been concerned about (contracting too many midgets) before the season.

Petratos I believe should be given a go as central striker, in place of Berisha. Has quick feet and decent movement at speed over short distances.

I agree with you on Henrique.He is poor at finishing.but he can create a lot of opportunities with his positioning and runs.
It was interesting in the last game how he supposedly got in the team ahead of Petratos because he was so good during training.In this respect the midfield failed again.Miller in particular spent most of the time passing backwards when we had the chance to break the last line of defence open.
In my opinion most of the fault with the last two performances lies with the players and their lack of intensity and failure to concentrate throughout the whole game.In games past we have endured because we refused to crack.That fine line to success is very thin and our drop in intensity has resulted in one goal losses.
The telling point is we have gone into half time all square twice and playing the better football.After half time we have conceded the goal.This is historically unlike Roar.But to me is symptomatic of leading the comp and relaxing,losing momentum and now struggling to get it back.However with the recently injured players getting some game time .it's only a matter of time before someone gets thrashed.
I still see big opportunities against those counterattack teams when they lose the ball in our half or when they press and leave space between the midfield and defensive line or as a result the defensive line is too far up the field.We just have to get forward quickly and stop propping on the ball and passing backwards.

Edited
8 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
paulc
paulc
Legend

My experimental team................

Theo
Hingert North Smith Ferreira
Franjic Brattan Mackay
Solo Petratos Broich

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend

My 11 would be

Bench: Solo/Dimi, Lustica, Berisha, North, Acton

Edited by zimbos_05: 25/2/2014 12:25:09 PM
Edited
8 Years Ago by zimbos_05
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

lolitsbigmic wrote:
[quote=walsh23]For the weekend, fitness permitting for all of course.. I'd go with
Theo
Hingert North Smith Brown
Brattan
Lustica McKay
Franjic Broich Petratos

I don't think Nico is fit enough to start a game, but i'd like to see him given about 20 - 30 mins instead of the 5-10 he's been getting all game.
Franjic is better up the park, Steffanuto needs to be dropped - Brown isn't going to get better on the bench or in the youth league.

I agree with your squad selection with two exceptions.
(1) I would have Miller ahead of Lustica.
(2) I would drop Smith for Donachie.

Other then the above two changes, I agree with players and positions.

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Edited
8 Years Ago by BrisbaneBhoy
paulc
paulc
Legend

crimsoncrusoe wrote:
In this respect the midfield failed again.Miller in particular spent most of the time passing backwards when we had the chance to break the last line of defence open.

You know I don't have to say I agree 100% with this :d

Miller basically tries to play it safe all the time given his lack of ball skills and in doing so maintains the status quo and doesn't add value from a proactive or offensive perspective.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
In this respect the midfield failed again.Miller in particular spent most of the time passing backwards when we had the chance to break the last line of defence open.

Miller basically tries to play it safe all the time given his lack of ball skills and in doing so maintains the status quo and doesn't add value from a proactive or offensive perspective.

:lol: I served that one on a platter, you are slipping.How many minutes did that take?;)
Edited
paulc
paulc
Legend

crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

:lol: I served that one on a platter, you are slipping.How many minutes did that take?;)

:lol:

But now you got me going (bastard). During the Mick Mulvey press conference he says that his main half time instructions were for the team to keep probing in the final third because they were not doing enough of it. Now if this was his main attack plan then why didn't he change something at half time like replacing Miller, the main culprit who constantly plays negatively contrary to what Mulvey expects of his players? Why wait until well after the first goal was conceded before doing something?

There's been some main problems not just vs Heart but Newcastle also as well as WSW before that. That's 3 games.

I'm not happy I tell ya, not at all.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

But now you got me going (bastard). During the Mick Mulvey press conference he says that his main half time instructions were for the team to keep probing in the final third because they were not doing enough of it. Now if this was his main attack plan then why didn't he change something at half time like replacing Miller, the main culprit who constantly plays negatively contrary to what Mulvey expects of his players? Why wait until well after the first goal was conceded before doing something?

There's been some main problems not just vs Heart but Newcastle also as well as WSW before that. That's 3 games.

I think Miller needs to be replaced with a proper creative no. 10. We have lacked one ever since Nichols left. We need somebody to take the burden off Broich who at present seems to be our only creative outlet.
Edited
8 Years Ago by YerNathanael
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

YerNathanael wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

I think Miller needs to be replaced with a proper creative no. 10. We have lacked one ever since Nichols left. We need somebody to take the burden off Broich who at present seems to be our only creative outlet.

Hingert/Donachie to RB, Franjic to RM for Miller, Petratos to RW for henrique. Both Petratos and Franjic can score goals and create them. Henrique and Miller do not have those qualities.

Personally I think its a no brainer and it peeves me a little to see Henrique start every week ahead of Dimi.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
YerNathanael
YerNathanael
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Roar #1 wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

Hingert/Donachie to RB, Franjic to RM for Miller, Petratos to RW for henrique. Both Petratos and Franjic can score goals and create them. Henrique and Miller do not have those qualities.

Personally I think its a no brainer and it peeves me a little to see Henrique start every week ahead of Dimi.

Agreed. Dimi's close control and shooting ability shits all over Henrique's. IMO it's time to let Henrique go.
Edited
8 Years Ago by YerNathanael
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class
World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)World Class (6.4K reputation)

YerNathanael wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

Agreed. Dimi's close control and shooting ability shits all over Henrique's. IMO it's time to let Henrique go.

I totally agree about letting Henrique go. He doesnt have the speed that he used to and I think he just isnt up to the standard anymore. But I feel like he still has 1 or 2 years to go on his contract after this season, which is a shame.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
paulc
paulc
Legend

Amazing isn't it.

Henrique, Stefanutto and Miller have been given overly generous contracts that should have ended this season at best.

Of the 3 though Henrique can still be an X Factor when he comes on as a sub and therefore makes him a cheap squad player.

The other 2 do nothing.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

YerNathanael wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

How quickly we forget the Jets game ... where we barely created a chance till Henrique replaced Petratos who started and had done nothing. :oops:

Edited
8 Years Ago by clockwork orange
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

paulc wrote:
Amazing isn't it.

Henrique, Stefanutto and Miller have been given overly generous contracts that should have ended this season at best.

Of the 3 though Henrique can still be an X Factor when he comes on as a sub and therefore makes him a cheap squad player.

The other 2 do nothing.

Miller is a valuable experienced head when McKay and Franjic are absent with the NT. Steffanuto needs to retire gracefully at the end of the season.
Edited
8 Years Ago by clockwork orange
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class

clockwork orange wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
YerNathanael wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

How quickly we forget the Jets game ... where we barely created a chance till Henrique replaced Petratos who started and had done nothing. :oops:

We still didnt win. Sure henrique may do some good things, But his fuck ups and turn overs by far out weigh the good he does. He has missed 2/3 tap ins, a header from 6 yards, 2 badly missed placed passes the could/ should have leaded to a goal, a number of scuffed shots, just this season off the top of my head. Sure its ok to make mistakes but he doesnt make up for them with a goal or assist later on
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
paulc
paulc
Legend

clockwork orange wrote:
paulc wrote:
Amazing isn't it.

The other 2 do nothing.

Miller is a valuable experienced head when McKay and Franjic are absent with the NT. Steffanuto needs to retire gracefully at the end of the season.

Mulvey didn't put cool heads (even though he could have) in midfield when Miller was out. So what's the difference if Mackay and Franjic are not there due to NT duties which would not be many?

However I do agree with you that experience does count and I'd have Miller in ahead of Fereirra, Clut or Lustica this season at least.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class

Hopefully Lustica gets his form back,because he is here for a while.Miller I think needs game time for confidence before he starts to think about passing forward instead of backwards.If you look at our midfield options,Brattan,McKay,Miller and Lustica are all small,but generally good technically.They shine when the game is played at a faster pace.When it is slower they tend to pass backwards more and can lose the midfield battle because they get out muscled.WSW,NJ and MH did this.
Roar play best when up front there is a lot of movement (not backwards).
Generally they have no trouble taking the ball down the wings and to the line.In fact teams are happy to let them do that ,because so often the stacked defence forces them to pass back and sideways until they give up and pass the ball to noone and are forced to chase a counter attack.
In my opinion they are too structured sometimes in the front third in these situations and dont take the obvious option of getting the ball into the box from the sides.Once the ball is at some ones feet inside the box ,the defenders can no longer hack at their leasure.Plus with a few of our technically proficient players holding the ball in the box anything can happen.In this respect ,Berisha should be getting in the box but closer to the the ball.Once the ball is at his feet in the box ,its panic stations for the defence.So get him closer to the sides of the box to mix things up.Same for Petratos .
When I watch Roar games I see these opportunities all the time.But so often the front three are predictably spread across the field.If they were compressed to overload one side with others coming from deeper to cover ,when a break was made down a wing,it would be easier to pass their way into the box and draw in defenders away from the center.With Brattan and Franjic positioned more centrally for the pass back,there would be a lot of opportunities for shots on goal.
Edited
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class

I think Lustica will come good. He is still getting used to being back at the Roar and maybe still getting over the break up with Adelaide. I thought he was very good during his loan spell with us and added some goals which was great.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
paulc
paulc
Legend

Unfortunately, even if Lustica comes really good Mulvey has to justify to the board the contract and larger payments to Miller, so Miller will end up being No1 until his contract runs out for Mickey to save face.

I'm placing my midfield hopes on Lambaridis for next season more than Lustica. I just wish Miller will go away.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
paulc
paulc
Legend

crimsoncrusoe wrote:
Hopefully Lustica gets his form back,because he is here for a while.Miller I think needs game time for confidence before he starts to think about passing forward instead of backwards.If you look at our midfield options,Brattan,McKay,Miller and Lustica are all small,but generally good technically..

I'm on record stating from the outset that Miller doesn't fit the Roar playing culture and so far he has failed to meet that expectation.

I also don't believe he's that technical. You already mentioned how negatively he plays now look at the details. Passes almost always with his instep, unable to control the ball under mediocre pressure, unable to feed clever balls, can't dribble (how can you when he is constantly playing with a straight back and unable to drop his shoulder) etc.

That's why I'm looking forward to see Lambaridis next season as he impressed me in the few times I've seen him. He's certainly got the height we're missing and the skill that is absent from Miller.

Don't hate the guy as some may have asserted but just want what's obviously best for the team.

Edited by paulc: 26/2/2014 02:35:59 PM

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class

paulc wrote:
Unfortunately, even if Lustica comes really good Mulvey has to justify to the board the contract and larger payments to Miller, so Miller will end up being No1 until his contract runs out for Mickey to save face.

I'm placing my midfield hopes on Lambaridis for next season more than Lustica. I just wish Miller will go away.

Do you know how much Miller is on?
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
lbennie
lbennie
Amateur
Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)Amateur (597 reputation)

paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:
Hopefully Lustica gets his form back,because he is here for a while.Miller I think needs game time for confidence before he starts to think about passing forward instead of backwards.If you look at our midfield options,Brattan,McKay,Miller and Lustica are all small,but generally good technically..

I'm on record stating from the outset that Miller doesn't fit the Roar playing culture and so far he has failed to meet that expectation.

I also don't believe he's that technical. You already mentioned how negatively he plays now look at the details. Passes almost always with his instep, unable to control the ball under mediocre pressure, unable to feed clever balls, can't dribble (how can you when he is constantly playing with a straight back and unable to drop his shoulder) etc.

That's why I'm looking forward to see Lambaridis next season as he impressed me in the few times I've seen him. He's certainly got the height we're missing and the skill that is absent from Miller.

Don't hate the guy as some may have asserted but just want what's obviously best for the team.

My god you speak some shit :lol:

We play like shit when we're missing miller or mckay.
Both have been mainstays in what is, far & away, the best midfield in the league so far.

Edited
8 Years Ago by lbennie
paulc
paulc
Legend

lbennie wrote:
paulc wrote:
crimsoncrusoe wrote:

My god you speak some shit :lol:

We play like shit when we're missing miller or mckay.
Both have been mainstays in what is, far & away, the best midfield in the league so far.

I know you'll always support uncle Liam but we did very well earlier without Miller earlier in the season when he was injured. It's when the gaffer continues to put two inexperience young defenders in a 3 man mid is when we have issues.
You should read what everyone have said about Miller in these last few posts, that is if uncle Liam has taught you to read.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar #1 wrote:
paulc wrote:

No, do you?

But take note that the reason given for Miller's departure from Glory was because he wanted more money and a term longer than one year. Then bingo, he's at Roar on a 2 year term and a wage, well it's quite reasonable to assume it is to Miller's satisfaction and expectation. It will also be senior player's wage higher than any of the young Aussies used to date including Lustica. All common sense.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
Roar #1
Roar #1
World Class

paulc wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
paulc wrote:

No, do you?

But take note that the reason given for Miller's departure from Glory was because he wanted more money and a term longer than one year. Then bingo, he's at Roar on a 2 year term and a wage, well it's quite reasonable to assume it is to Miller's satisfaction and expectation. It will also be senior player's wage higher than any of the young Aussies used to date including Lustica. All common sense.

I don't, but you keep saying he is on a lot when both of us don't know. Maybe he was willing to take less per year at the Roar in order to get a 2 year deal. Ie 250k a year for 2 years instead of 300/350k for 1 at glory.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar #1
paulc
paulc
Legend

Roar #1 wrote:
paulc wrote:
Roar #1 wrote:
paulc wrote:

No, do you?

I don't, but you keep saying he is on a lot when both of us don't know. Maybe he was willing to take less per year at the Roar in order to get a 2 year deal. Ie 250k a year for 2 years instead of 300/350k for 1 at glory.

I keep saying "larger" payments, compared to alternatives.

I wouldn't bet he'd be cheap as chips considering the reasons he left Glory.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
8 Years Ago by paulc
Mrmcjewpants
Mrmcjewpants
Pro
Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)Pro (3.6K reputation)

not sure if its been posted but its an interview with thomas broich about his highs and lows in Germany and i think its a great insight

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/172559939539/Broichs-highs-and-lows
Edited
8 Years Ago by Mrmcjewpants
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search