The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Quote:

Gillard has credibility issue: Labor MP

February 4, 2012 - 12:56PM

Tasmanian Labor MP Dick Adams says Prime Minister Julia Gillard has a credibility issue with some voters.

Speculation is continuing that Ms Gillard will be replaced as ALP leader with support reportedly growing for Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd returning to the top job.

Mr Adams, who represents the eastern Tasmanian seat of Lyons, says while the prime minister has support, not all voters are convinced.

"She has a bit of a credibility issue with some of the decisions that she's made," Mr Adams told ABC News 24.

"That's a message for her that she has to get out there that her credibility is sound."

He said the government had not been able to communicate its achievements to the electorate in an effective way.

"I think Cabinet has to take some responsibility for the message delivery and how their leadership is coming through for government and they need to look at themselves in a pretty hard way from that perspective," he said.

"All these things that weren't spent in the last government are being spent by this government to position Australia into the future.

"If you can't get that message out, yeah, somebody's got to take that responsibility and that's got to be done."

Mr Adams was frustrated that parts of the government's message had confused parts of the electorate.

"In general circumstances the economy is good. In those circumstances anywhere in the world the government is then pretty sound.

"I would cite the issues that I encountered when we first started to do the mining tax and people were asking me why we were putting a tax on super and we had a super tax running out there in people's minds."

He believed that the leadership issues were being "blown up" and said nobody has rung him about it.

"I've been around a long time and I've had a lot of calls over the years from people who aspire to leadership. I've had no calls.

"I've had nobody calling me to start making up lists and I don't believe there are lists being made up.

However, he said Labor heavyweights would be looking at the current polling which shows Labor a long way behind the coalition.

"Polling that is being done by the political parties, they're always the polls that you make political decisions about.

"And the machinery of the parties act on those and I'm sure my colleagues in that role will be looking at those and making decisions."

Asked if Ms Gillard had his 100 per cent support, Mr Adams replied that he supported the leader.

"If I change my mind I would tell the prime minister that she doesn't have my support.

"I will support the leader. I don't believe it's time to change the leader."

Caucus members will meet in Canberra on Sunday for a pre-parliament strategy day.

AAP

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/gillard-has-credibility-issue-labor-mp-20120204-1qyh2.html#ixzz1lNIXlaQV

Edited by Joffa: 5/2/2012 02:19:09 PM

Edited by Joffa: 18/2/2012 10:26:17 PM

Edited by Joffa: 2/3/2012 12:27:19 PM

Edited by Joffa: 3/3/2012 01:58:34 PM

Edited by Joffa: 13/3/2012 11:09:22 PM

Edited by Joffa: 18/3/2012 02:41:34 AM

Edited by Joffa: 23/3/2012 11:40:18 PM

Edited by Joffa: 24/3/2012 07:51:30 PM

Edited by Joffa: 24/3/2012 07:52:33 PM

Edited by Joffa: 27/3/2012 12:52:56 PM

Edited by Joffa: 8/5/2012 08:10:30 PM

Edited by Joffa: 18/5/2012 11:14:56 PM

Edited by Joffa: 19/5/2012 03:25:18 PM

Edited by Joffa: 27/5/2012 10:57:49 AM

Edited by Joffa: 9/6/2012 05:13:37 PM

Edited by Joffa: 10/6/2012 12:57:21 AM

Edited by Joffa: 30/6/2012 03:03:29 PM

Edited by Joffa: 8/7/2012 06:06:46 PM

Edited by Joffa: 15/7/2012 02:50:45 PM

Edited by Joffa: 18/7/2012 07:58:43 PM

Edited by Joffa: 21/7/2012 12:24:24 AM

Edited by Joffa: 22/7/2012 08:19:51 PM

Edited by Joffa: 22/7/2012 08:20:35 PM

Edited by Joffa: 18/8/2012 12:51:15 AM

Edited by Joffa: 26/8/2012 11:05:07 AM

Edited by Joffa: 8/9/2012 06:06:13 PM

Edited by Joffa: 12/9/2012 10:35:18 PM

Edited by Joffa: 29/9/2012 10:27:05 PM

Edited by Joffa: 20/10/2012 11:44:32 PM

Edited by Joffa: 30/10/2012 06:45:51 PM

Edited by Joffa: 2/11/2012 08:27:28 PM

Edited by Joffa: 4/11/2012 01:55:01 PM

Edited by Joffa: 8/12/2012 01:28:35 AM

Edited by Joffa: 30/1/2013 04:07:59 PM

Edited by Joffa: 22/2/2013 07:13:27 PM

Edited by Joffa: 28/3/2013 09:09:38 PM

Edited by Joffa: 10/7/2013 04:24:48 PM

Edited by Joffa: 7/9/2013 08:30:39 AM

Edited by Joffa: 8/9/2013 09:28:36 AM

Edited by paladisious: 9/2/2015 01:37:43 AM

Edited by paladisious: 14/9/2015 09:56:03 PM

Edited by joffa: 14/9/2015 11:43:58 PM

Edited by paladisious: 15/9/2015 12:29:13 AM

Edited by Joffa: 20/9/2015 05:42:06 PM
Edited
2 Years Ago by mcjules
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Give this man a payrise! His insights are amazing.
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I thought Helen Clark was off putting, this JUlia Gillard takes the cake. I saw a Sack Gillard Tiwtter or something the other day.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Quote:
Backers of Julia Gillard predict Kevin Rudd will fail if he challenges

by: Samantha Maiden From: Sunday Herald Sun February 05, 2012

ANGRY Julia Gillard backers have challenged Kevin Rudd to "bring it on" when he returns to Australia tomorrow - and have predicted any leadership putsch will fail.

The Foreign Affairs Minister is jetting out of Germany this morning, after a marathon international travel trip to spend just over 24 hours at the Munich Security Conference.

As one of the Prime Minister's most loyal supporters yesterday confided they feared the momentum for a leadership spill was now "unstoppable", Ms Gillard spent the day holed up at The Lodge.

Queensland MP Bernie Ripoll, a Gillard loyalist, issued a public challenge for the agitators to bring it on amid speculation that Wayne Swan, Ms Gillard and other frontbenchers might refuse to serve Mr Rudd if he's re-elected by caucus.

"Let them call for a spill," Mr Ripoll said.

"Let's see who commands the numbers in caucus. Let's just do it.

"They won't - and I will tell you why. They don't have the numbers."

The Gillard camp believes Mr Rudd's support could be as low as 20 in the 103-member caucus.

Labor MPs will descend on Canberra today for a three-hour talkfest in the ALP caucus room followed by a barbecue at The Lodge where the Prime Minister will talk up the tax cuts and welfare increases that will flow to families from May to compensate for the carbon tax.

Despite rampant speculation, both sides are playing down the prospect of a clash next week.

But they concede the atmosphere is "volatile" and "febrile", and could lead to a clash before the March 24 Queensland election or soon after in a special meeting of ALP caucus.

A gun-toting independent MP Bob Katter also used the Queensland launch of his firearms policy yesterday to bolster Mr Rudd's credentials, hinting he would "most certainly" be open to considering a deal with a future Rudd government.

"Everybody knows that Kevin and I are friends and have been mates," he said.

"I have great respect for him."

Mr Katter's comments followed independent MP Rob Oakeshott's warning that dumping Ms Gillard would be a "breach of contract" with the independents who helped Labor form government and he would renegotiate his deal to support the Labor Government.

The Foreign Affairs Minister's backers yesterday claimed Cabinet was now split over a Rudd resurrection with one minister predicting MPs regarded as loyal to the Prime Minister, including Anthony Albanese, Greg Combet, Mark Butler and Penny Wong, were "soft" and would go to Mr Rudd when push came to shove. Chris Bowen, Martin Ferguson and Robert McClelland are already being counted in the Rudd camp.

A Rudd campaign insider said yesterday the ALP caucus had "the biggest dose of cabin fever since the Voyage of the Damned".

But a senior Victorian Labor MP dismissed Mr Rudd as a wrecker who would never marshal the numbers. The MP, a firm Gillard supporter, estimated Mr Rudd's camp probably numbered no more than 20 members of caucus.

He dismissed estimates yesterday that divided caucus 47 votes to Ms Gillard, 32 to Mr Rudd with 24 undecided as about "as accurate as an East German five-year economic forecast".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/backers-of-julia-gillard-predict-kevin-rudd-will-fail-if-he-challenges/story-fn7x8me2-1226262766537

notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Turnbull should cross lines and challenge, would be hilarious.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:

Gillard is the worst PM since McMahon. Discuss

Misha Schubert
February 5, 2012

WHEN Tony Abbott, at the National Press Club last week, invoked academic Robert Manne dismissing Julia Gillard as ''the least impressive prime minister since Billy McMahon'', the Liberal crowd laughed loudly. Their derision was as much for one of their own former leaders as for the woman who is struggling as Prime Minister.

Manne, considered by conservatives a lion of the left, didn't intend a literal comparison with McMahon, the jug-eared figure of mockery who presided over the Liberals' defeat in 1972 after 23 years in power.

Nor did Manne mean the worst prime minister, mindful of the damage he argues John Howard did to the country. Manne's criticism, and his argument for a resurrection of Kevin Rudd as Labor leader, was about a lack of a narrative, compellingly told, about where and how Australia should chart its course. It's a criticism shared by many of her own MPs, disenchanted and dispirited, as they gather anxiously in Canberra today to hear her pitch for the year and mull over the risks of a switch back to Rudd.

''The Australian people feel the need for some kind of largeness of the Prime Minister, a capacity to dramatise and create a story about the nation, about the world,'' Manne said. ''I thought it might happen [with Gillard] but it just hasn't. I think she just seems to be awkward and mechanical, repetitive and cliche ridden. She doesn't seem to have developed a vision or a capacity to speak in a way that interests people.''

Manne's thesis is qualified. Most of Australia's leaders post-World War II have been impressive, and in that he counts Howard too. His exceptions fall between Robert Menzies and Gough Whitlam - Harold Holt, John McEwen, John Gorton and McMahon.

Historian Stuart Macintyre disputes Manne, arguing Gillard has faced unparalleled political challenges to a prime minister's authority from a hung Parliament with so many bit players. ''She has faced a task that no one has since Menzies and [John] Curtin, and in the circumstances of the war, particularly after 1941, it was inconceivable [the two independents of the day] would desert the government.'' Fate dealt Gillard a much larger coalition to put together and a lesser hold.

''Her political task in managing that circumstance and maintaining office has been uniquely difficult in federal politics and her capacity to do so has been impressive,'' Macintyre said. Yet she may be ''the least effective in articulating a viewpoint since McMahon - we're not talking about too many PMs, here, six, and some of them were unusually eloquent''.

Academic Judith Brett, who has chronicled the history of conservative politics, sees little parallel between the ''bumbling and silly'' image of McMahon and the public's take on the Prime Minister now. Yet there is something ''implausible'' about the public persona of Gillard - stiff and defensive and guarded - which has impeded a connection with people.

''The only person who looks like a leader in the federal parliament at the moment is Malcolm Turnbull. Neither of them [Gillard nor Abbott] appear to be on top of the issues - you don't see them thinking in public, so you don't have any sense of how they are thinking about the problems of the country - you can't believe they are thinking in as simple-minded a way as their statements,'' she said.

Simon Crean, a former Labor leader and one of those in the mix if Gillard loses the leadership, takes a whack back at Abbott for invoking the Manne slight.

''He's the most negative person in the history of the country, a person who stands for nothing, passing judgments about a prime minister who as education minister did more than anyone else to inject the most significant expenditure into the greatest investment a country can make - the education of its people,'' he said.

Liberal tactics chief Christopher Pyne comes to the defence of McMahon's reputation.

''That's clearly unfair on Billy McMahon. He inherited a two-decade-old government with a small majority at the end of its natural life. She took over a two-year-old government with a thumping majority and trashed it in one election. She carries the wooden spoon in this particular race.''

Gillard's friend Warren Snowdon, a parliamentary secretary who has served four Labor prime ministers, insists she is impressive in the psychological strength she has brought to adversity.

''I've served under a number of PMs and she is right up there when it comes to self-control and not allowing herself to be flustered by the idiocy of attacks. She's as tough as teak and has real equilibrium''.

There is scant direct parallel with McMahon, whose personality and circumstances were vastly different. As academic Norman Abjorensen wrote, ''as Prime Minister, McMahon cut a ludicrous figure - a man captive of his own fantasies and seemingly not of this world.'' Gillard, for all her faults, is a realist.

As time went on, both McMahon and Gillard were unable to convince the electorate their ascension was the right choice. After eight months with McMahon as prime minister, in December 1971 one in two voters thought the switch from Gorton was a bad decision. At last count, Rudd outpolled Gillard two to one as preferred Labor leader.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/gillard-is-the-worst-pm-since-mcmahon-discuss-20120204-1qypm.html#ixzz1lTR1pYT1

T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

I wasn't around when McMahon was PM, and do not understand the bad wrap he gets. Anybody care to explain??
zimbos_05
zimbos_05
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

i have only known Howard, Rudd and Gillard....

so in saying that, i would say Gillard is the worst we have had.
batfink
batfink
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

i been through

gillard,rudd,howard,keating,hawke,fraser,whitlam,mcmahon,gorton,mcEwen & holt.....

this government with rudd/Gillard wins hands down as the most untrustworthy incompetant pack of morons
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Leadership is pretty irrelevant when it comes to governance.

From America, but relevant to our current situation:
Quote:
The question, “If I were President I’d…” implies that if you swap out one leader, put in another, then all will be well with America—as though our leaders are the cause of all ailments.

That must be why we’ve created a tradition of rampant attacks on our politicians. Are they too conservative for you? Too liberal? Too religious? Too atheist? Too gay? Too anti-gay? Too rich? Too dumb? Too smart? Too ethnic? Too philanderous? Curious behavior, given that we elect 88% of Congress every two years.

A second tradition-in-progress is the expectation that everyone else in our culturally pluralistic land should hold exactly your own outlook, on all issues.

When you’re scientifically literate, the world looks different to you. It’s a particular way of questioning what you see and hear. When empowered by this state of mind, objective realities matter. These are the truths of the world that exist outside of whatever your belief system tells you.

One objective reality is that our government doesn’t work, not because we have dysfunctional politicians, but because we have dysfunctional voters. As a scientist and educator, my goal, then, is not to become President and lead a dysfunctional electorate, but to enlighten the electorate so they might choose the right leaders in the first place.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
New York, Aug. 21, 2011

batfink
batfink
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

good article but i do thing there are many many things wrong with why our governments don't function properly....

Federal/state/council/voters are but a few
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Been around since 7 days before Hawke got canned.

Since I've been old enough to understand and follow politics and political events, I'd say she's been the worst, Kevin Rudd was cringeworthy at times, but she's been fucking awful full fucking stop.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

batfink wrote:
i been through

gillard,rudd,howard,keating,hawke,fraser,whitlam,mcmahon,gorton,mcEwen & holt.....

this government with rudd/Gillard wins hands down as the most untrustworthy incompetant pack of morons

But what did McMahon do that was so bad??
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

McMahon was out of step with the changing times, he was a supporter of the then on the nose Vietnam war and was also heavily critical of China at a time when Nixon was extending the olive branch and opening the lines of communication and trade. McMahon was seen as being a throw back to the Menzies era of White Australia and the economic prosperity of the sheeps back at a time of oil crisises and rapidly rising inflation.

He was seen as an able cabinet mininster but was out of step with the mores of the day and was also terribly outclassed by a young(ish) firebrand in Gough Whitlam who was challenging the status quo and suggesting scandalous ideas like abolition of executing prisoners,Medicare/universal healthcare, free tertiary education, legal aid and the abolition of conscription.

And amongst all of this there was quite strong and persistant rumours that he was homosexual and he married very late in life which appeared to give the rumour mongers and haters credence and justification(in their mind) for any discrimination.

Edited by Joffa: 6/2/2012 07:40:16 PM
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Have you Aussies still got this Gillard as Prime Minister? How long will it take you to get rid of her?
batfink
batfink
Legend

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan wrote:
Have you Aussies still got this Gillard as Prime Minister? How long will it take you to get rid of her?

forever it would appear](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

Yes, it will literally be forever that we will be stuck with this PM.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

"Julia Gillard is such a bad Prime Minister, lets vote for Tony Abbott instead"

Fuck this country

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Joffa
Joffa
Legend

The one saving grace of Julia Gillard is that Tony Abbott threatens to be even worse.
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro

New_Dawn_Kiwi_Fan wrote:

Next election is in 2013.
T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro

Joffa wrote:
The one saving grace of Julia Gillard is that Tony Abbott threatens to be even worse.

I doubt it.

I don't think Tony Abbott will be a good PM, but at least he won't be alligned with the extremist Greens party. Alot of these ridiculous policies are Greens policies which the ALP needs to bend over for in order to stay in power.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

I don't think Tony Abbott will be a good PM, but at least he won't be alligned with the extremist Greens party. Alot of these ridiculous policies are Greens policies which the ALP needs to bend over for in order to stay in power.

Which ones are included in 'a lot of these ridiculous policies'?
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

How is being the only left-wing party suddenly extremist?

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

A lot of these ridiculous policies are Gillard putting herself between a rock and a hard place and being stubborn as a mule.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Quote:
Julia Gillard accuses opposition of muckraking

by: Paul Osborne From: Herald Sun February 08, 2012 6:20PM

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has accused the opposition of muckraking and evading debate on the economy, after the coalition tried to censure her over the Australia Day fiasco.
The strategy failed but all eyes were on independent MP Andrew Wilkie who sided with coalition MPs, for the first time since Labor reneged on a gambling reform deal, during a vote to suspend parliament.

The suspension motion was put on Wednesday to force Ms Gillard to answer questions about the involvement of her office in the protest at a Canberra restaurant on January 26, which caused a security scare.

Mr Wilkie told AAP he supported the motion because "there are so many claims and counter-claims swirling around about the Australia Day scuffle and a parliamentary debate would have been one way of finding out the facts of the matter".

Prime ministerial media staffer Tony Hodges quit after passing on information to a union official, who in turn reported Tony Abbott's presence to Aboriginal tent embassy representatives, who mistakenly believed the coalition leader had called for the embassy to be moved on.

In a heated question time and suspension motion debate, opposition business manager Christopher Pyne and other frontbenchers quizzed Ms Gillard over the role of her other advisers and whether she had a "black ops" unit dedicated to undermining Mr Abbott's credibility.

Mr Pyne said the incident, coupled with the broken election promise on the carbon tax and the torn-up deal with Mr Wilkie, had "cast a shadow" over the government's integrity.

"Comparing her to Lady Macbeth is unfair to Lady Macbeth," Mr Pyne said.

Ms Gillard, who had used question time to talk up the government's economic credentials, said the opposition raised the Australia Day issue because its economics team was at odds over when a coalition government could deliver a budget surplus.

"Their muckraking and recklessness, their petty politics, does them no good," Ms Gillard said.

"The national interest just passes them by."

The prime minister, who met with manufacturing union bosses earlier in the day, also said Mr Abbott was trying to be like the Clint Eastwood movie character Dirty Harry.

"The leader of the opposition stands for doing the dirty on the car industry," she said, referring to plans by the coalition to cut $500 million in government funding by 2015.

Mr Abbott, who visited a Canberra school on Wednesday to talk about online safety, said the prime minister had shown a lack of concern for sacked workers when she spoke last week about "growing pains" in the manufacturing sector.

"These are real people," he said.

Ms Gillard said the government was "all ears" when it came to automotive workers and that Australia needed a strong car industry if it was to modernise its economy.

Promoting her theme of creating a "new economy", the prime minister on Wednesday announced a key plank of the national broadband network: a $620 million deal to put up two satellites to provide the most remote parts of Australia with high-speed broadband within three years.

- AAPhttp://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/julia-gillard-accuses-opposition-of-muckraking/story-fn7x8me2-1226266048933

T-UNIT
T-UNIT
Pro

skeptic wrote:
T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

Carbon tax, the gay marriage issue, the NBN, although that wasn't a Greens policy.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

T-UNIT wrote:
skeptic wrote:
T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

Carbon tax, the gay marriage issue, the NBN, although that wasn't a Greens policy.

Asylum seeker policies, NBN and disaster relief fund were nothing to do with Greens policy.

Carbon Tax is about all they've had a hand in.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend

Sourth Korea joins Australia, NZ in setting carbon limits

http://www.theage.com.au/business/world-business/sourth-korea-joins-australia-nz-in-setting-carbon-limits-20120208-1reuy.html

Edited by Joffa: 8/2/2012 09:17:43 PM
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

T-UNIT wrote:
skeptic wrote:
T-UNIT wrote:
Joffa wrote:

I doubt it.

How are any of these "ridiculous policies"?
batfink
batfink
Legend

perhaps it's not only the policies but rather the policy outcomes that annoy the population,the mismanagement,the waste, the lack of accountability, the lies, i think most Australians are sick of the twisting,conniving conceited attitude of this government, truthfully how can the leader of this country continue to blame the opposition for the governments mistakes?? she wanted a minority corrupted government and she got it.....they say if you sleep with dogs you get fleas and thats what wilkie & oakshot are dogs.....and anyone who can't see the manipulation the greens have placed on this government has to be kidding themselves

this is a minority goverment looking after the needs of minority groups.......

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search