Exercise and Workout thread!

Exercise and Workout thread!

Author
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
ual wrote:
notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
If you wanna lose weight, really the best thing to do is learn about basic nutrition first and foremost (as soon as a "diet" says eliminate carbs, run away as fast as you can) and just start walking. Walk everywhere. To work, to the shops, around the block when you have a free 30 minutes. Whenever. Walking is great to start you off. Once you feel comfortable, start some light jogging or mix it up Fartlek style and do 2 minutes jogging/5 minutes walking for half an hour or whatever. If you need any help or have any questions, PM me :)

Also, the higher your muscle mass is, the more fat you will burn. This means that doing weight and building up your deeper-lying muscle will help accelerate fat burning. 20% of your muscles make 80% of your external appearance so that's 80% of your muscles you can work on building up without becoming some massive hulk-like being :P

Interested in your reasoning behind dismissing carb elimination as an effective body fat reducer.

Oh short term it's fine, but more often than not the weight will pile straight back on when you reintroduce carbs into the diet. To make it sustainable you need to reduce carb intake, but not eliminate them. As you know they're the bodies primary energy source so getting rid of them can and usually will bring on lethargy and the like. It's good to have carbs in the morning but after that they're best eliminated, save for maybe a small amount at lunch or morning tea.

The lethargy you refer to is temporary. The body runs just fine without carbs once fat adapted.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz2EIKErGcU
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

UnitedGal wrote:
ozboy wrote:
ual wrote:
Diet is the most important factor though. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Yep. I'll never forget this borderline obese bird at the gym. After 12 months on the treadmill/bike she was about as fat as when she first started :lol: :lol: :lol:

You sir are a moron

I've been that obese woman & it's taken 2 years to lose not a lot - had to stop due to my grandad moving in & switching from casual work with gym time on my hands to full time with ***** all time so I'm heading back.

I liken it to quitting smoking - most I know tried multiple times before found what's worked

Apart from idiots like you not knowing how long it takes too lose weight, bringing people like me down being a deterrent for anyone to set foot in a gym, the amount of information and bullshit weight loss diet secrets out the is enough to make your head spin!

I'm going to have by the looks of it the time for two gym sessions per week ( at night ) I don't have much space at home to do a lot either...

I like leftrightout's sig:
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
ozboy
ozboy
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

afromanGT wrote:

Gridiron pre-season kicked off today. Anticipating a world of pain tomorrow.

How long you been playing?

As for the pic, steroids do help :idea:
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

I did last season's pre-season then fractured my arm at work and wouldn't have come back until the third week of the season so it was season over. So this'll be my second crack at being a rookie :lol:
ozboy
ozboy
World Class

afromanGT wrote:
I did last season's pre-season then fractured my arm at work and wouldn't have come back until the third week of the season so it was season over. So this'll be my second crack at being a rookie :lol:

What are the participation numbers like? What type of person is drawn to playing?

On a related note, I can't take seriously people who crap on football as boring but follow cricket or NFL. My guess is they follow from tradition, not because they actually like the game.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

ozboy wrote:
afromanGT wrote:

What are the participation numbers like? What type of person is drawn to playing?

On a related note, I can't take seriously people who crap on football as boring but follow cricket or NFL. My guess is they follow from tradition, not because they actually like the game.

That works both ways, I follow football because it's a game I grew up with but 'discovered' NFL as an adult working night shift. I've played all the sports that people label 'boring' at some point :? Tennis, Golf, football, cricket, NFL...I must be drawn to boring sports :lol:

They're all pretty big boys who play. I'm 6'1" and ~86 kg, I'd be on the smaller side of the team if I make the cut. There's a few small lads but they're thick set and stocky. Most of them are tall and athletic or Polynesian and built like a brick shit house. And then there's one bloke who's a fucking tank :lol: He's about my height and 90+ kg and it's ALL muscle.

There's about 45 lads in the team from memory, excluding the rookies. But a few will drop off as the season draws closer.

Edited by afromanGT: 7/12/2012 08:24:14 AM
ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
If you wanna lose weight, really the best thing to do is learn about basic nutrition first and foremost (as soon as a "diet" says eliminate carbs, run away as fast as you can) and just start walking. Walk everywhere. To work, to the shops, around the block when you have a free 30 minutes. Whenever. Walking is great to start you off. Once you feel comfortable, start some light jogging or mix it up Fartlek style and do 2 minutes jogging/5 minutes walking for half an hour or whatever. If you need any help or have any questions, PM me :)

Also, the higher your muscle mass is, the more fat you will burn. This means that doing weight and building up your deeper-lying muscle will help accelerate fat burning. 20% of your muscles make 80% of your external appearance so that's 80% of your muscles you can work on building up without becoming some massive hulk-like being :P

Interested in your reasoning behind dismissing carb elimination as an effective body fat reducer.

Oh short term it's fine, but more often than not the weight will pile straight back on when you reintroduce carbs into the diet. To make it sustainable you need to reduce carb intake, but not eliminate them. As you know they're the bodies primary energy source so getting rid of them can and usually will bring on lethargy and the like. It's good to have carbs in the morning but after that they're best eliminated, save for maybe a small amount at lunch or morning tea.

The lethargy you refer to is temporary. The body runs just fine without carbs once fat adapted.

Learn something new every day :P
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Does exercising on an empty stomach burn more calories?
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:

Depends on lots of things, and it's a long conversation to get to that point.

The short & skinny of it, in your situation it won't really matter but you may have a bit of a performance increase from eating within 30-60minutes before your workout.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

notorganic wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

The short & skinny of it, in your situation it won't really matter but you may have a bit of a performance increase from eating within 30-60minutes before your workout.

In my situation?
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I find working out is the best way of getting fit

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

ual
ual
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

KiwiChick1 wrote:

Don't. Eat something like a banana or muesli bar for some energy about 30-60 minutes prior so you can actually exercise. You need to eat.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

Don't. Eat something like a banana or muesli bar for some energy about 30-60 minutes prior so you can actually exercise. You need to eat.

I'm not interested on whether or not it's healthy or recommended, but is it true?
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

ual wrote:
notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:

Learn something new every day :P

For someone that has a healthy metabolism and is insulin sensitive, natural starches are fine.

For people needing to lose bodyfat, possibly metabolically damaged and insulin resistant, a ketogenic (High fat, Moderate protein, Very low carb) eating plan coupled with some HIIT is the best way to get to where you need to be before slowly introducing starches back into the diet.

notorganic
notorganic
Legend

KiwiChick1 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

In my situation?

Non-professional.
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

afromanGT wrote:
Gridiron pre-season kicked off today. Anticipating a world of pain tomorrow.

Wasn't wrong. In a world of pain right now. I forgot I had those muscles.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

notorganic wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:

In my situation?

Non-professional.

Ah. I'm not really interested in performance increasing, just losing weight.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

So will you lose more weight by exercising before eating or not??
ual
ual
Pro

Not in the balance of things, no. If you don't eat prior then you'll be starving after exercise and will eat more than you would have had before.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

ual wrote:
Not in the balance of things, no. If you don't eat prior then you'll be starving after exercise and will eat more than you would have had before.

That's not the case for me, so ultimately I'm assuming that's a yes.
ual
ual
Pro

KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:

Well it's pretty obvious isn't it? Eat less and you'll lose more weight. You'll burn the same amount of calories but you just won't have any calorie intake before exercising (which will probably slow you down and reduce intensity/duration, but hey).
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:

Well it's pretty obvious isn't it? Eat less and you'll lose more weight. You'll burn the same amount of calories but you just won't have any calorie intake before exercising (which will probably slow you down and reduce intensity/duration, but hey).

Okay, fine, I was just wanting an opinion on it. Intensity and duration is just fine actually.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:

It's not just a case of calories in vs calories out. Simply eating less does not magically fix weight issues, and usually creates a whole lot more.

Kiwichick, there are so many other ducks that you need to line up before you start thinking about fasting for any period of time.

-how many calories do you eat per day?
-What is the macro breakdown of your food intake?
-how many hours of sleep per night are you getting?
-What supplements do you take, if any?
-What is your exercise routine?

All of these things are supremely more important than whether you eat before your workout or not.
Kruse_Terrace
Kruse_Terrace
Amateur
Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)

So frustrating going to the gym and watching people who have no idea what they're doing!

Most 15-18 year old males mostly
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Kruse_Terrace wrote:
So frustrating going to the gym and watching people who have no idea what they're doing!

Gotta learn somehow, mate. You were a gym novice too once.

That's the main reason a lot of people are scared off from the gym - fear of judgement/looking foolish.
Kruse_Terrace
Kruse_Terrace
Amateur
Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)Amateur (660 reputation)

afromanGT wrote:
Kruse_Terrace wrote:

Gotta learn somehow, mate. You were a gym novice too once.

That's the main reason a lot of people are scared off from the gym - fear of judgement/looking foolish.

That is true.

I guess they mainly annoy me because they wear their snapbacks and their singlets and think they're cool as fuck because they 'lift'

You know the type
afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend

Yeah...and sooner or later they'll hurt themselves and have to start over, but doing things properly this time.
KiwiChick1
KiwiChick1
Legend

notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:

It's not just a case of calories in vs calories out. Simply eating less does not magically fix weight issues, and usually creates a whole lot more.

Kiwichick, there are so many other ducks that you need to line up before you start thinking about fasting for any period of time.

All of these things are supremely more important than whether you eat before your workout or not.

I'm not fasting, I'm just eating less. I had no idea it would be such a difficult question to answer.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend

KiwiChick1 wrote:
notorganic wrote:
ual wrote:
KiwiChick1 wrote:
ual wrote:

I'm not fasting, I'm just eating less. I had no idea it would be such a difficult question to answer.

It's not that it's a difficult question to answer, but that the premise of the question is flawed.

If you are deliberately not eating before working out, you are fasting.

I'm not intentionally being a dick, but you're looking at tinkering with things that are further down the line than you need to be.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search