The Aussies Abroad Thread

The Aussies Abroad Thread

Author
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:
Interesting to see Devere fit and playing but not getting called up when he was meant to get a call up last time

:lol: It's quite clear from Holger's comments that any young player not in the current squad is not good enough. #-o

Well for Devere to get a call up he needs to be playing every week for his club and putting in top level performances. Merely getting names as MOTM and selected for teams of the week in his competition, as well as having a good scoring record for a CB, is not anywhere near good enough. You have to be realistic about these things, Lucas Neill is obviously a far superior choic.

I think it's quite obvious he plays to many balls along the ground, which doesn't suit our hoof ball game plan.

Very true, that sort of high percentage game play is completely unsuitable to modern football. With the sophisticated 'patear largo' (Spanish is sophistaicated right?) game plan the Socceroos are implementing his propensity for putting his foot on the ball and picking a pass is never going to fit in.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

All the action overnight from the Aussies abroad incl. an important goal from a would-be Socceroo http://osaussies.com/thursday-wrap/
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Voice ofReason wrote:
All the action overnight from the Aussies abroad incl. an important goal from a would-be Socceroo http://osaussies.com/thursday-wrap/

Wow... Carle playing off the bench? i would have thought the M/E leagues would be his jam!

Good on Porta for putting one away infront of Holger.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Wow... Carle playing off the bench? i would have thought the M/E leagues would be his jam!

This is a strange thing to say, but why are we looking at Porta now his peak is behind him? I think we should be looking at him, but 3 years ago he was banging them in.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

This is a strange thing to say, but why are we looking at Porta now his peak is behind him? I think we should be looking at him, but 3 years ago he was banging them in.

1) Because his peak is not behind him. He's 29 years old right in his peak.

2) Because we always had much better options than him until now.
Without Mark Viduka or Harry Kewell and with Joshua Kennedy's constant fitness concerns our standards are suddenly much lower.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Sorry if i was unclear, i don't want Porta in the NT. i was simply congratulating him on scoring infront of Holger :lol:

In terms of Carle, i really rate him and his style of play. I thought he'd be a bit hit in the M/E if he has fast, technical players around him and more time on the ball.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Neanderthal wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Without Mark Viduka or Harry Kewell and with Joshua Kennedy's constant fitness concerns our standards are suddenly much lower.

+1. Although when Holger was first told of a striker score multiple goals in Uruguay, he needed to look at him then. His fourth goal for the season in as many games, hopefully this continues for him.
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Last season he did get 17 goals in 16 games for Nacional. But anyway, he is getting looked at now because he is in the M/E that simple.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Voice ofReason wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Last season he did get 17 goals in 16 games for Nacional. But anyway, he is getting looked at now because he is in the M/E that simple.

Which is a massive concern for me.

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Neanderthal wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Isn't he about to turn 30? Usually strikers are in their peak form around 26-28, but my point really is that if he had come into the Socceroos 3 years ago he would be a settled member of the squad with around the same number of caps as Brosque.

Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

Overnight action saw a return from injury of one and a late goal by another http://osaussies.com/friday-wrap/
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Nice, Leckie's finally back.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

good to see leckie back hopefully davidson is back soon
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

General Ashnak wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Farrand93 wrote:
Voice ofReason wrote:

Which is a massive concern for me.

For sure. But is that Porta's fault or Holger's? Porta did just about everything Humanly possible last season to get a look in.

That said, If Holger's aim is to get us to the WC, then maybe Porta has a part to play. It's clear that re-building the squad is not his aim, if it was, Porta would not have much of a part to play. Most people on this forum think that the two can be done at the same time, my guess is that Holger disagrees.

Also, while i'm undecided on Porta, it's worth noting that no other country in the world would exclude a player who is performing well just because he is 29... Players who find form and are considered amongst the best the nation have at the time, should always be considered. England do it, Germany do it, Uruguay do it...
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

Farrand93 wrote:
For sure. But is that Porta's fault or Holger's? Porta did just about everything Humanly possible last season to get a look in.

That said, If Holger's aim is to get us to the WC, then maybe Porta has a part to play. It's clear that re-building the squad is not his aim, if it was, Porta would not have much of a part to play. Most people on this forum think that the two can be done at the same time, my guess is that Holger disagrees.

Also, while i'm undecided on Porta, it's worth noting that no other country in the world would exclude a player who is performing well just because he is 29... Players who find form and are considered amongst the best the nation have at the time, should always be considered. England do it, Germany do it, Uruguay do it...

It is entirely the fault of Holger and before him Pim, Porta can only do what he has been doing for years and be a consistent goal scoring threat.

If Holger wants to qualify us for the next WC then he needs to grow some balls.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

nick carle left for similar reasons. saudi arabia is the only league i rate there. It should help ur chances with the roos moving to the a league more than these leagues. If every aussie playing in china the middle east and the mlsplayed here the league would be as good as the k league if not better
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

grazorblade wrote:
nick carle left for similar reasons. saudi arabia is the only league i rate there. It should help ur chances with the roos moving to the a league more than these leagues. If every aussie playing in china the middle east and the mlsplayed here the league would be as good as the k league if not better

Fuarrrrr!

Imagine injecting:

Kennedy
North

bosnar
Madaschi
McKay
Wilkinson
Cornthwaite
Burns
Hamill
Simon
Devere

Djulbic
Santalab
Salley
Mullen
Griffiths J.
Hughes
Susak
Griffiths R.

Neill
Bresciano
Spiranovic
Porta
Brosque
Ognenovski
Carle
Carney
Reddy

wow... A few of them wouldn't get a run, but that'd be nice to have those guys in the league.

Edited by farrand93: 7/10/2012 12:17:34 PM

Edited by farrand93: 7/10/2012 12:31:18 PM
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Farrand93 wrote:
grazorblade wrote:

Fuarrrrr!

Imagine injecting:

Kennedy
North

bosnar
Madaschi
McKay
Wilkinson
Cornthwaite
Burns
Hamill
Simon
Devere

Djulbic
Santalab
Salley
Mullen
Griffiths J.
Hughes
Susak
Griffiths R.

Neill
Bresciano
Porta
Brosque
Ognenovski
Carle
Carney
Reddy

wow... A few of them wouldn't get a run, but that'd be nice to have those guys in the league.

Edited by farrand93: 7/10/2012 12:17:34 PM

let aussie team choose three players from that list and all of a sudden we have perhaps the strongest league in asia...
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

That might be jumping the gun a little.

Reddy, plus the boys from China (Minus the Griffos) don't really demand a spot in the league. Most of the other names on the list would be good for the league though.
Misc
Misc
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

I missed it as i was overseas recently, but Brosque in the UAE now!?
I must admit i havent watched football from this league, is it in any way a much higher level than the A-league?
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Misc wrote:
I missed it as i was overseas recently, but Brosque in the UAE now!?
I must admit i havent watched football from this league, is it in any way a much higher level than the A-league?

Probably a better league for technique to be honest...
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

if u chose players judiciously...also add cahill and
culina to the list just for fun

for brisbane roar id take spira carle and devere

for sfc id take devere culina and bosnar

for wsw id take carney porta and burns

for au id take griffiths brosque and mullen

for
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

for mv id take madaschi north and maybe a dm

for ccm id take og kennedy and wilkinson

you get the picturethese become some of the best sides in asia...
Misc
Misc
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Reading through ESPN's comments, Kruse seemed to play a full game for his team last night and picked up a yellow. they lost 1-0
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

All the action from yesterday http://osaussies.com/saturday-wrap/
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Voice ofReason wrote:
All the action from yesterday http://osaussies.com/saturday-wrap/

The amout of "...was not in the squad" was upsetting
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Gee seems to be a bad week especially given how it was looking the last few weeks

Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

All the action from Sunday http://osaussies.com/sunday-wrap-2/
sanga1
sanga1
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Nathan Burns, what a sad story it's become. Once touted as an exciting youngster ready to make the next step in his career, now it seems he's benchwarming week in week out in the K-League. How did it all go wrong?
Voice ofReason
Voice ofReason
Pro

sanga1 wrote:
Nathan Burns, what a sad story it's become. Once touted as an exciting youngster ready to make the next step in his career, now it seems he's benchwarming week in week out in the K-League. How did it all go wrong?

He's been injured
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search