NPL- Queensland Conference

NPL- Queensland Conference

Author
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
KenGooner_GCU wrote:
The lads were appreciative about it as well and some Moreton Bay teenies were trying to start their own little (poor) active support. In fairness at least they tried, hopefully they keep going they might be a good little group by the end of the season. Fucking nightmare to get to though.

How many were at the game? What was the quality like?
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Not great at crowds but I'd say a few hundred. Quality wasn't bad, it was relatively quick.

Hello

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

So i've just moved into college at UQ from Melbourne and probs going to need to find a local club to support during the long winter. Any ideas? Some mates suggested Olympic or Strikers being the closest and I've got fam in north Queensland so i was tempted to just watch Fury games when they are in Brisbane but not sure yet.

Viennese Vuck

FT08
FT08
Fan
Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)

4wanderer4 wrote:
Any idea on how successful the Fury-FNQ match was? Hopefully there were heaps of old Fury jerseys there.

Also anyone got any video from the matches?

Heard it was a good crowd. Strikers used to put out videos of their home games.
FT08
FT08
Fan
Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)Fan (86 reputation)

KenGooner_GCU wrote:
The lads were appreciative about it as well and some Moreton Bay teenies were trying to start their own little (poor) active support. In fairness at least they tried, hopefully they keep going they might be a good little group by the end of the season. Fucking nightmare to get to though.

More active support is needed in the state league here. Mareeba should of really had an active element with the decent crowds they used to get.
FT08
FT08
Fan

paulbagzFC wrote:
KenGooner_GCU wrote:
Palmy lost 3-2 but it was a good night and we'll be back.

Will see you down there in July.

-PB

Shit trip. Only 2 going that I know of.
FT08
FT08
Fan

melbourne_terrace wrote:
So i've just moved into college at UQ from Melbourne and probs going to need to find a local club to support during the long winter. Any ideas? Some mates suggested Olympic or Strikers being the closest and I've got fam in north Queensland so i was tempted to just watch Fury games when they are in Brisbane but not sure yet.

I'll message you.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

melbourne_terrace wrote:

I'm coming down for a couple of away games if you wanna catch up for secks?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

FT08 wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
KenGooner_GCU wrote:
Palmy lost 3-2 but it was a good night and we'll be back.

Will see you down there in July.

-PB

Shit trip. Only 2 going that I know of.

Fuck em, I'll still go if you go lol

-PB

El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star
Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)

TheSelectFew wrote:
El Toro wrote:
Went to the Western Pride v QAS match this arvo. Ended in a 2 all draw.
QAS snatched a late equaliser. A guess would be about 500 or so people there, maybe more. Nice little ground.
Judging from what I saw Palm Beach could have a field day against Pride next weekend, especially if they have pace in the front third. QAS managed to get in behind a fair bit with their quicker players. Pride tried to play the ball out from the back and had heaps of trouble doing it- many turnovers after someone tries the miracle ball after being frustrated.

Good quality? Better than the old Queensland league?

Wouldn't say better, but then I don't think either team will be pushing towards the top this year. There seemed to be a bit of a divide between player ability. Some had real skill, others left me saying "what the hell was that shit?"
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star
Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)Rising Star (907 reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:
QAS snatched a late equaliser. A guess would be about 500 or so people there, maybe more. Nice little ground.
Judging from what I saw Palm Beach could have a field day against Pride next weekend, especially if they have pace in the front third. QAS managed to get in behind a fair bit with their quicker players. Pride tried to play the ball out from the back and had heaps of trouble doing it- many turnovers after someone tries the miracle ball after being frustrated.

Do you know who was in the QAS side?

No sorry, got there just as the anthem was playing so didn't hear any team announcements. didn't recognize anyone as such.

edit here they are

QAS
PLAYER   #   
Elliott Ronto   13   
Andres Pascoe   20   
Jack Bladen   6   
Mitchell Hore   19   
Jack Lightbody   5   
Nicholas Klaassen   11   
Roman Hofmann   2   
Samuel Sibatuara   7   
Fraser Stevens   3   
Shannon Brady   12   
Karamo Kamara   17   
Logan Grillo   16   
Sam Herlihy   8   
Abraham Yango   9   
Joshua Riis   18   

Edited by El Toro: 11/3/2013 08:43:54 AM
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

WITH just minutes to go, you could feel the excitement around the North Ipswich Reserve.

Every shot at goal and desperate defence off the line was met with feverish anticipation.

But it wasn't a rugby league match more commonly played at the city's premier ground.

It was the Ipswich region's latest major sporting team, Western Pride, on the verge of a historic first-up football victory.

As Pride players, officials and supporters dared to dream of a perfect start, the QAS found a late equaliser.

However, the 2-2 draw showed that Western Pride has the skill, speed and support structure to be highly competitive in this year's National Premier League state competition.

After trailing 1-0, Pride equalised when prolific goal-scorer Peter Drager pounced on a cross by Russell Woodruffe that the QAS goalkeeper failed to control.

The ground erupted with excitement when Pride left winger Will Jordan netted the goal of the match to put his team 2-1 up in the second half.

Jordan's super strike from outside the penalty box produced hugs and delight befitting a FA Cup grand final victory.

However, it was the determined QAS players who were rewarded with the late equaliser.

After creating history as Pride's first NPL goal-scorer, Drager emerged from the dressing room anything but disappointed.

"Both teams played pretty well and we're happy to get a point out of it," a grinning Drager said.

As Division 1 Golden Boot winner the past two seasons, Drager knows how to finish off chances close to goal.

He rated Jordan's second goal "a cracker".

"We obviously would have liked a win being 2-1 up with 10 minutes to go," Drager said.

"But it was a good game. Four goals, I'm sure the spectators are happy with it."

Drager was replaced with 20 minutes to go, having given his all coming back from an ankle injury.

"I was pretty tired," he said. "I didn't train last week and I missed the week before as well."

Drager said the team performance would give Pride a boost, being a new side.

"We haven't scored goals in the last two (trial) games and to come out and score two tonight, I know Kasey (player/coach Kasey Wehrman) is pretty happy with that," Drager said.

Wehrman chose not to play in yesterday's match.

However, his smile of satisfaction backed up what he thought of his newly-formed team which features several of the region's most promising players.

"I thought the boys did really well," Wehrman said.

"I think they went into their shell a bit when they went up 2-1 and gave away the ball a bit too much. But QAS deserved to get a point at the end. They worked really hard."

Former international player Wehrman was heartened by his young team's commitment.

"Every game we've had, they've never disappointed me when it comes to workrate and today they bust their gut as well," he said.

"It's just a case of more confidence and trying to stick to our plan of holding the ball and being positive."

Pride created a number of useful chances in both halves, showing they have the attacking ability to test sides in the NPL.

Apart from the late goal, the side's defence was also solid.

Goalkeeper Steve Purdie was tidy, supported by captain Niall McCarthy and gritty Aaron Christensen. "AC" made an last-ditch sliding save off the line in the first half.

Exciting prospects like Lincoln Rule and Jay Kitching were busy.

"Our boys matched them pretty well," Wehrman said.

"QAS are a young team that have been training all year round. But we've had two weeks of no training pitch due to the weather and our boys are a little bit underdone when it comes to games.

"I was more than happy with them."

The Ipswich Knights opened their Brisbane Premier League season with a 3-2 victory over Logan.

State of play

National Premier League (state competition): Western Pride 2 (Peter Drager, Will Jordan) drew QAS 2.

Under-18: QAS d Western Pride 7-0.

Pride's next opponent: Saturday v Palm Beach at Gold Coast.http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/newcomers-in-fine-npl-debut/1786208/
FT08
FT08
Fan

GCU - Brisbane Branch wrote:
From what I've read crowd was approx 1,500 which is a very solid turnout especially considering the weather.

Today is a big one for two famous Aussie clubs. The Fury make their return to football and I'm assuming there'll be quite a few from Townsville make the drive up to Cairns for their game vs FNQ. And for the very first time in its history the Brisbane Strikers will be fielding competitive junior teams.

Estimate of 5-600 for the FNQ V Fury game apparently.
waggzzz2
waggzzz2
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

FT08 wrote:
From what I've read crowd was approx 1,500 which is a very solid turnout especially considering the weather.

Today is a big one for two famous Aussie clubs. The Fury make their return to football and I'm assuming there'll be quite a few from Townsville make the drive up to Cairns for their game vs FNQ. And for the very first time in its history the Brisbane Strikers will be fielding competitive junior teams.

where'd you hear this from?
FT08
FT08
Fan

waggzzz2 wrote:
FT08 wrote:

Fury FB page.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:

No sorry, got there just as the anthem was playing so didn't hear any team announcements. didn't recognize anyone as such.

edit here they are

QAS
PLAYER   #   
Elliott Ronto   13   
Andres Pascoe   20   
Jack Bladen   6   
Mitchell Hore   19   
Jack Lightbody   5   
Nicholas Klaassen   11   
Roman Hofmann   2   
Samuel Sibatuara   7   
Fraser Stevens   3   
Shannon Brady   12   
Karamo Kamara   17   
Logan Grillo   16   
Sam Herlihy   8   
Abraham Yango   9   
Joshua Riis   18   

Can't say I know any of them. They must be quite young as I don't think any of them have played for the Roar NYL side.
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:

edit here they are

QAS
PLAYER   #   
Elliott Ronto   13   
Andres Pascoe   20   
Jack Bladen   6   
Mitchell Hore   19   
Jack Lightbody   5   
Nicholas Klaassen   11   
Roman Hofmann   2   
Samuel Sibatuara   7   
Fraser Stevens   3   
Shannon Brady   12   
Karamo Kamara   17   
Logan Grillo   16   
Sam Herlihy   8   
Abraham Yango   9   
Joshua Riis   18   

Can't say I know any of them. They must be quite young as I don't think any of them have played for the Roar NYL side.

I would have picked half of them as 15!
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

background of 3 QAS players- Holland Park Hawks players Karano Karama, Abraham Yango and Nick Klaassen have earned call-ups to the Queensland Academy of Sport for 2013. Their call-ups cap off a stellar 2012 season, which saw the Hawks finish just shy of the grand final.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

FT08 wrote:
waggzzz2 wrote:
FT08 wrote:

Fury FB page.

Great numbers if true!

GCU - Brisbane Branch
GCU - Brisbane Branch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)Hardcore Fan (283 reputation)

Match report from Strikers 2-1 win against Redlands.

http://www.brisbanestrikers.com.au/?p=2854

And watch post game reaction from both sides here.

http://www.brisbanestrikers.com.au/?p=2858

Entertaining game despite both teams showing a bit of Round 1 rustiness. Not too bad a crowd by Perry Park standards, especially for a 6pm Sunday night kick off (usual Strikers home games kick off 7pm Saturday). I'd guess approx 500-600. Not much in the way of crowd atmosphere though but you can't have it all.

Edited by gcu - brisbane branch: 11/3/2013 10:49:56 PM

Edited by gcu - brisbane branch: 11/3/2013 10:51:16 PM
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Fury it is, will be at the match against Moreton Bay. Nothing quite like the local grounds, will be interesting to check them out.

btw is there any chance some matches will have video highlights like the VPL or NSWPL?

Edited by melbourne_terrace: 11/3/2013 10:35:22 PM

Viennese Vuck

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Children / Concession $8.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

12 years and under - FREE

Great valuemMembership packages will be available shortly.
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

seems expensive for a local game
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

Thought that as well.
FT08
FT08
Fan

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

SC must be trying to corner the 12 and under market.
El Toro
El Toro
Rising Star

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

Thought that as well.

Maybe their plan is to act as much as possible like an A-League club (memberships, matchday packages etc)and be mistaken for one come next expansion
zarate
zarate
Rising Star
Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)Rising Star (934 reputation)

El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
El Toro wrote:
Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Sunshine Coast FC Fire
‎2013 Ticket Prices:

Adult - $13.00
Family (2A + 2C) $35.00

Thought that as well.

Maybe their plan is to act as much as possible like an A-League club (memberships, matchday packages etc)and be mistaken for one come next expansion

Foolproof.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend

Haven't had a chance to watch this, But the season launch and some highlights of Brisbane City v Olympic FC.

http://www.youtube.com/user/footballqueensland/featured
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Haven't had a chance to watch this, But the season launch and some highlights of Brisbane City v Olympic FC.

http://www.youtube.com/user/footballqueensland/featured

Cheers for that link R_B, good stuff.

-PB

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Footage looks good.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search