The NFL thread - now with added Hayne

The NFL thread - now with added Hayne

Author
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
scotty21 wrote:
Season opener about to kick off.

Hope the pats and Brady get hit by the karma bus.

Who does everyone one follow here? I'm a Green Bay man myself.

Cheers in advance for the 50pt loss on Monday morning
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

karta wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
This is an interesting article.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/hey-aussies-dont-follow-jarryd-hayne-to-the-nfl/story-fnq2nnu6-1227520504721

I find this passage particularly perceptive.

“This runs headfirst into a larger phenomenon most Australians would rather pretend doesn’t exist: seeking acceptance from the USA. There’s a dichotomy of disdain for perceived cultural imperialism butting up against this notion that gaining success it in the United States means you’ve “made it”.

“This applies to chefs, actors, musicians and of course athletes. Hayne is that dream made manifest, and it’s one other players will seek too.”

There's a large element of this in the Hayne story.

Mark Bosnich on the back page made an interesting point that he thought Mat Ryan's ascendancy to Valencia was more significant given he is actually playing real matches, in the world game.

But, nup, we seem to care more about a guy playing practice matches in a sport that means bugger all in this country and outside the US.

BTW, I hope Hayne does really well, but there are a few people who I've actually heard comparing this to Cathy Freeman's gold medal and friggin' Don Bradman.

I mean, C'mon.

I couldn't agree more. It's like I don't see how this achievement ranks higher than Matt Ryan making it to Valencia and pipping the spot of a Brazilian international. Or Kruse ripping it up in the Bundislega.

I just think the media makes more of this than really need be.

Mat Ryan wouldn't even be at Valencia had that Brazilian international not done his knee in the final game of last season.

And? How exactly does that undermine his achievement? In a world of if buts and maybes.

Not undermining his achievement, what Ryan is doing at Valencia is great, but he didn't 'pip' anything, he Bradbury'd it. He got lucky with Alves being injured and credit to him he's making the most of that luck and the chance that came from it.

Think people need to stop semi-bagging poor ol Bradbury too imo.

-PB
Tbf he's only famous for getting lucky twice in a row and being Aussie. Not a bad way to be remembered.

As he has said many times in interviews, doesn't change all the training and effort for years and years in the lead up to the final, not too mention qualification and what not.

Think its a bit naive to ever discredit his win as just pure BS luck.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
karta wrote:
paulbagzFC wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
TheSelectFew wrote:
u4486662 wrote:
Munrubenmuz wrote:
This is an interesting article.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/hey-aussies-dont-follow-jarryd-hayne-to-the-nfl/story-fnq2nnu6-1227520504721

I find this passage particularly perceptive.

“This runs headfirst into a larger phenomenon most Australians would rather pretend doesn’t exist: seeking acceptance from the USA. There’s a dichotomy of disdain for perceived cultural imperialism butting up against this notion that gaining success it in the United States means you’ve “made it”.

“This applies to chefs, actors, musicians and of course athletes. Hayne is that dream made manifest, and it’s one other players will seek too.”

There's a large element of this in the Hayne story.

Mark Bosnich on the back page made an interesting point that he thought Mat Ryan's ascendancy to Valencia was more significant given he is actually playing real matches, in the world game.

But, nup, we seem to care more about a guy playing practice matches in a sport that means bugger all in this country and outside the US.

BTW, I hope Hayne does really well, but there are a few people who I've actually heard comparing this to Cathy Freeman's gold medal and friggin' Don Bradman.

I mean, C'mon.

I couldn't agree more. It's like I don't see how this achievement ranks higher than Matt Ryan making it to Valencia and pipping the spot of a Brazilian international. Or Kruse ripping it up in the Bundislega.

I just think the media makes more of this than really need be.

Mat Ryan wouldn't even be at Valencia had that Brazilian international not done his knee in the final game of last season.

And? How exactly does that undermine his achievement? In a world of if buts and maybes.

Not undermining his achievement, what Ryan is doing at Valencia is great, but he didn't 'pip' anything, he Bradbury'd it. He got lucky with Alves being injured and credit to him he's making the most of that luck and the chance that came from it.

Think people need to stop semi-bagging poor ol Bradbury too imo.

-PB
Tbf he's only famous for getting lucky twice in a row and being Aussie. Not a bad way to be remembered.

As he has said many times in interviews, doesn't change all the training and effort for years and years in the lead up to the final, not too mention qualification and what not.

Think its a bit naive to ever discredit his win as just pure BS luck.

-PB

Clearly the achievement in getting to the final was not luck, but winning the final itself was obviously down to a huge amount of luck.
scotty21
scotty21
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
scotty21 wrote:

There are seriously a ton of Bears fans here

Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

scotty21 wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
scotty21 wrote:

There are seriously a ton of Bears fans here

Buffalo Bills man here. Yeah I had a great period in the 90's then a sustained run of mediocrity.
I actually haven't seen them play for a long while now.
But I always remember those good years and DE Bruce Smith.
Every time my own team got new jerseys to play in, I always made sure I got Bruce's number 78 whether I was defense or not at the time.
scotty21
scotty21
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
Jesus Christ, Brady has been incredible today

Shouldn't have even been playing

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

the Steelers talking about how they know how to stop Gronk looks hilarious now, was funny at the time anyway, but after this :lol:

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

Let me tell you something, I've been watching this game for 30 years, and no rookie has ever impressed me as much as Hayne has. I've seen all the greatest. I've seen 30 superbowls. I've seen it all man. Hayne has that something special that I've only seen in very few players. Players that are sitting in the Hall of Fame right now. Players that kids and men aspire to be. Hayne is special let me tell ya.

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:
the Steelers talking about how they know how to stop Gronk looks hilarious now, was funny at the time anyway, but after this :lol:

top meme :lol:

Came up on twitter every time the Steelers left Gronk open, so a lot :lol:
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

scotty21 wrote:

Indianapolis Colts

Edited by switters: 12/9/2015 12:43:37 AM
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:
sydneycroatia58 wrote:

top meme :lol:

Came up on twitter every time the Steelers left Gronk open, so a lot :lol:

:lol:

scotty21
scotty21
World Class

Seattle getting dicked on the goal line again :lol: :lol:

scotty21
scotty21
World Class

Solid away win first up for the Packers. =d>

scotty21
scotty21
World Class

Jameis Winston's first throw in the NFL was a pick 6

scotty21
scotty21
World Class

Mariota putting up one hell of a debut. 4td's in the 1st half

The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

scotty21 wrote:

Best part was when they put the QB comparison stats up and he's laughing his arse off in the background :lol:
scotty21
scotty21
World Class

The Maco wrote:
scotty21 wrote:

Best part was when they put the QB comparison stats up and he's laughing his arse off in the background :lol:

Lol yep. The Buc's fans boo Winston off at HT after having a horrid first half although the host on redzone said this morning that the last player to throw a pick 6 on their very first throw was a bloke call Brett Favre

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

scotty21 wrote:
Solid away win first up for the Packers. =d>

Not to disappointed with the loss really. Was not expecting to be that competitive, the change under Fox compared to Trestman is amazing. The more Forte gets the ball the better we'll be. Cutler also looked completely different to last season, 50% completion, but was less down to him and more down to some droped catches.

Defense looked better than I was expecting, especially Kyle Fuller who had a horrible pre-season.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

So much for that whole WInston being more NFL ready than Mariota stuff before the draft :lol:
Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Go Rams Go. 34-31 in overtime

choke on that Seattle.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Hayne named in starting lineup according to ABC 24.

Member since 2008.

Buggalugs - you should...
Buggalugs - you should have listened...
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Quote:
Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne is making his NFL debut for the San Francisco 49ers after being named in the team's 46-man squad for the team's season opener.

Earlier this month Hayne was named in the 49ers final 53-man roster, prompting rampant speculation on whether he would be named for week one.

On Tuesday morning, the 49ers revealed their list of seven players who would miss out on the game.

These included reserve kick returner DeAndrew White and fourth-string running back Mike Davis.

This left Hayne in the 46 who would "suit up" for the Monday Night Football game - which is being nationally televised in the US - against the Minnesota Vikings at the 49ers home ground of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

The 49ers took the opening kickoff from the Vikings, but Hayne remained on the bench, as wide receiver / returner Bruce Ellington caught the ball in the end zone for no return.

The bulk of carries at running back will go to 49ers starters Carlos Hyde and Reggie Bush.

Bush is also available to return kicks, as is Ellington.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-15/hayne-plane-picked-to-play-for-niners/6776716
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Reggie Bush hobbles off the field, @jarrydhayne_1 watch intensifies #hayneplane

Hayne is now 2nd Running Back

Edited by Buggalugs - you should have listened...: 15/9/2015 12:47:20 PM
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

.I think wesh ould have an Aussies abroad thread for sports other than football. :lol:

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Career over
Pro

Jarryd Hayne muffs the first punt of his career. The Vikings take over at the 43

https://twitter.com/WillHillAus/status/643619123763671040

Edited by Buggalugs - you should have listened...: 15/9/2015 01:00:58 PM
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

#haynespill

u4486662
u4486662
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

bugger.
Pro

He’s got the ball from a pass - HE BEATS ONE! He beats ... no, that’s all. Just one. Good little run though. He made 7 yards

https://vine.co/v/eF3zYxb3ZJE

Edited by Buggalugs - you should have listened...: 15/9/2015 01:20:50 PM
scotty21
scotty21
World Class

Hayne takes a punt back about 10yds but a flag means the punt is taken a again. Then the bloke who takes that punt takes it all the way only to come back for another flag.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search