The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
StiflersMom - 15 Sep 2016 1:42 PM
azzaMVFC - 15 Sep 2016 12:52 PM

basically insisting if you come here you live by our rules, well that was my take on it. 

And there's nothing wrong with that. 

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
azzaMVFC - 15 Sep 2016 2:11 PM

Only a matter of time before she moves on from Muslims and starts on Africans.

So far, similar to Asians, they have also not caused problems. 

Condemned666
Condemned666
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The thing about Hanson's speech is...

What about those who dont assimilate with Australian stuff? Ie watch afl and cricket. The Beach, Home and Away?

And theres an expectation to just carry on as per usual?
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Heineken - 15 Sep 2016 2:44 PM

Flagged as an answer lol?

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Heineken - 15 Sep 2016 2:44 PM

Exactly. 

switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 15 Sep 2016 12:05 PM
lol at the Greens upping and leaving though rather than sitting, listening and getting points to counter her argument with.

-PB

Usually id agree. But with pauline hanson it would go through one ear and out the other.
Edited
8 Years Ago by switters
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

I remember  the speech  she gave on the asian invasion. And the hateful ignorant  views that made my parents and mine life a living hell . Just listening to her now is a throw back. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Conroy randomly #gone

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Attorney-General George Brandis urged to resign amid claims he misled parliament

• 932 reading now

Attorney-General George Brandis is facing calls to resign after the government's top legal adviser accused him of misleading Parliament, in a dramatic escalation of a toxic row between the country's two most senior legal officers.

Senator Brandis has come under fire over a contentious move to restrict his ministerial colleagues' ability to seek independent legal advice directly from Solicitor-General Justin Gleeson, SC.

Pause
1:11
/
1:34
Fullscreen
Mute

MORE NEWS VIDEOS

The Brandis diaries

Attorney General George Brandis has to hand over his diaries to Labor's Mark Dreyfus after losing his bid to keep his meetings secret. Courtesy ABC News 24

Documents released at a Senate inquiry on Wednesday suggest same-sex marriage laws and a proposal to strip dual nationals involved in terrorism of Australian citizenship were flashpoints in a simmering feud between the two men.

Mr Gleeson, the government's top legal adviser, said in an explosive submission to the inquiry that he had not been consulted about a change requiring all ministers – including the prime minister – to obtain the written approval of Senator Brandis before seeking his advice.

Senator Brandis claimed in Parliament Mr Gleeson was consulted about the legally binding change, made days before the election.

Mr Gleeson said he had taken steps to have the change "withdrawn and for a proper consultation process to commence" but they had "proved futile".

"Had I been consulted ... I would have made a submission to the Attorney-General, in the strongest terms, that [the change] should not be made," Mr Gleeson said.

Legal experts have expressed concern the change is a power grab that restricts the independence of the Solicitor-General.

Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has called on Mr Brandis to resign.
Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has called on Mr Brandis to resign. Photo: Nick Moir

Mr Gleeson said there had been times since his appointment in 2013 when he had been asked directly by "persons, such as a Prime Minister or Governor-General" to provide confidential advice and it was "critically important" this should continue.

Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus said "Senator Brandis has misled the Australian Parliament and lied to the Australian people".

Attorney-General George Brandis is facing calls to resign after the government's top legal adviser accused him of ...
Attorney-General George Brandis is facing calls to resign after the government's top legal adviser accused him of misleading Parliament. Photo: Fairfax Media

"He has no choice but to resign. If Senator Brandis does not resign, then Mr Turnbull must show some leadership and sack Senator Brandis," Mr Dreyfus said.

But Senator Brandis said in a submission to the inquiry, set up by Labor with the support of the crossbench, that he was "surprised" he had not been invited to make a submission.

He insisted Mr Gleeson was consulted about the change. He added that since he made the change he had received ten requests for referrals to the Solicitor-General and had referred "all ten of them".

Mr Gleeson wrote to Senator Brandis in November 2015, raising concerns the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) rather than his office was consulted on a marriage equality proposal that was "under active consideration by the government".

Mr Gleeson also said he was not consulted about significant changes to a proposal to strip dual nationals involved in terrorism of Australian citizenship. Senator Brandis later made public statements that Mr Gleeson had advised there was a "good prospect" the law would withstand a High Court challenge.

Mr Dreyfus said it was "very concerning that Senator Brandis failed to consult the Solicitor-General on this important legal matter".

"It's also very concerning that Senator Brandis ... [appears] to have misrepresented the advice of the Solicitor-General," Mr Dreyfus said.

University of NSW associate professor Gabrielle Appleby told the Senate inquiry on Wednesday the changes "may be in the future a way the Attorney-General can freeze out the Solicitor-General".

In his submission, Mr Gleeson said he was "already seeing evidence that requests for advice on matters of very great significance to the government and the community are going to persons other than the Solicitor-General".

Senator Brandis and the office of the Prime Minister were contacted for comment.

Aikhme
Aikhme
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

What Pauline is saying is correct to some extent.

Muslim migration needs to be stemmed back. It's just too many people are afraid to say it. 
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Baird to backflip on the greyhound ban. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

lol how does one endorse a bill of the opposition against you're own government?

As a gaff or not, how does this happen lol?

-PB

Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 13 Oct 2016 9:01 AM
lol how does one endorse a bill of the opposition against you're own government?

As a gaff or not, how does this happen lol?

-PB

Ever since Malcolm triggered the election over the ABCC he has drifted from 1 clusterfucck to the next.
Even though the blame can be spread accross others - surely we are coming close to that backstabbing moment.....
Who will be PM by years end?
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

What is with Q&A stacking it's audiences these days?

Regarding the closure of Ford and the Carlton United Brewery sackings, it's life. Shit like this will happen when money cannot be made. It's appalling that the audiences gets all whiney over people being sacked and criticises the only person making sense who said "you're not entitled to a job and it's not the governments problem to ensure you have one".

Manufacturing will die in this country because it's too expensive. It's the reality of the situation. Unless we can find ways to reduce costs, we don't stand a chance. I don't get how people cannot grasp this?

I had to laugh at the section on Unions and safety. The trade union rep (can't remember her name) was going on about safety and brought up the two construction workers killed by a concrete panel in Brisbane. I think she hasn't actually been on a site or done an induction in her life. The reality of construction sites is that you fill out such a mountain of paperwork these days (SWMS, Risk Assessments, JSA's) that common sense goes out the window. Workers follow a process rather than thinking about what they are doing. I don't know the details about the Brisbane tragedy but increasing safety protocols will never prevent these accidents. Increasing union activity on construction sites won't change this. Unions already make projects more expensive than they need to be.
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

BETHFC - 18 Oct 2016 9:24 AM
What is with Q&A stacking it's audiences these days?

Regarding the closure of Ford and the Carlton United Brewery sackings, it's life. Shit like this will happen when money cannot be made. It's appalling that the audiences gets all whiney over people being sacked and criticises the only person making sense who said "you're not entitled to a job and it's not the governments problem to ensure you have one".

Manufacturing will die in this country because it's too expensive. It's the reality of the situation. Unless we can find ways to reduce costs, we don't stand a chance. I don't get how people cannot grasp this?

I had to laugh at the section on Unions and safety. The trade union rep (can't remember her name) was going on about safety and brought up the two construction workers killed by a concrete panel in Brisbane. I think she hasn't actually been on a site or done an induction in her life. The reality of construction sites is that you fill out such a mountain of paperwork these days (SWMS, Risk Assessments, JSA's) that common sense goes out the window. Workers follow a process rather than thinking about what they are doing. I don't know the details about the Brisbane tragedy but increasing safety protocols will never prevent these accidents. Increasing union activity on construction sites won't change this. Unions already make projects more expensive than they need to be.

I am with you there 100%. People just don't understand that everything has a cost and that governments cannot magically make money appear.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

It ignores that car manufacturing in pretty much every other country in the world is:
1. Subsidised by tax payers
2. Protected with tariffs

Having manufacturing skills such as those in car manufacturing have strategic benefits and many nations recognise this.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Edited
8 Years Ago by mcjules
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

mcjules - 18 Oct 2016 12:19 PM
It ignores that car manufacturing in pretty much every other country in the world is:
1. Subsidised by tax payers
2. Protected with tariffs

Having manufacturing skills such as those in car manufacturing have strategic benefits and many nations recognise this.

1. Correct. Subsidizing every ford territory with $7k per car is a lot though. What do other countries spend on subsidies? They still didn't save manufacturing in Detroit though
2. What's our excuse here for not doing the same?

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

BETHFC - 18 Oct 2016 12:35 PM
mcjules - 18 Oct 2016 12:19 PM

1. Correct. Subsidizing every ford territory with $7k per car is a lot though. What do other countries spend on subsidies? They still didn't save manufacturing in Detroit though
2. What's our excuse here for not doing the same?

2. Trade deals

-PB

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Just looked up subsidies (slow day at work).

Hard to find anything reliable or recent. Most subsidizing in the EU appears to focus on green vehicles.

Based on what I could find, our contribution per capita might be small compared to Germany or the USA but our total output of vehicles is so small that the cost per unit of vehicles is unnaturally high. Therefore our cost per unit (car) to the taxpayer is high but our cost per capita (cost per car to each citizen) is low because our total output is low.

That's the best I could find.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

BETHFC - 18 Oct 2016 12:41 PM
Just looked up subsidies (slow day at work).

Hard to find anything reliable or recent. Most subsidizing in the EU appears to focus on green vehicles.

Based on what I could find, our contribution per capita might be small compared to Germany or the USA but our total output of vehicles is so small that the cost per unit of vehicles is unnaturally high. Therefore our cost per unit (car) to the taxpayer is high but our cost per capita (cost per car to each citizen) is low because our total output is low.

That's the best I could find.

Larger economies lean towards more tariffs I believe to encourage locals to buy their cars. We have been screwed a bit by the US as companies like Ford and GM have been put under internal pressure to not import so many of our cars even though our large cars are(were) generally better quality and cheaper than the US made equivalents. This of course reduces the amount of production we can do here.

There are a number of factors and it's complex, the point is that some government intervention is not a bad thing. One of the righties made a point that it wasn't fair that car manufacturing got money and others didn't to survive but like I said sometimes there is strategic reasons for keeping local expertise.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

On a different topic, that Four Corners episode on children in Nauru was heartbreaking.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

mcjules - 18 Oct 2016 1:09 PM
BETHFC - 18 Oct 2016 12:41 PM

Larger economies lean towards more tariffs I believe to encourage locals to buy their cars. We have been screwed a bit by the US as companies like Ford and GM have been put under internal pressure to not import so many of our cars even though our large cars are(were) generally better quality and cheaper than the US made equivalents. This of course reduces the amount of production we can do here.

There are a number of factors and it's complex, the point is that some government intervention is not a bad thing. One of the righties made a point that it wasn't fair that car manufacturing got money and others didn't to survive but like I said sometimes there is strategic reasons for keeping local expertise.

Seems fair. Sounds like our weak politicians at it again. If we made cars constructed overseas more expensive and spruiked our own maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

On Q&A last night they were talking about the Carlton Breweries and why they didn't get government funding to support sacked workers and how bad the situation was. The reality is that the government can't support everyone. I think if they believe in manufacturing, they need to force us into being competitive. However, won't that just increase costs across the board?

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

On a different topic, that Four Corners episode on children in Nauru was heartbreaking.

The emails that were read out near the end were absolutely terrible :(

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Yet nothing will change.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Good to see Scabott being a fuckwit again.

-PB

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

You know whats more heartbreaking? The four corners report on the thousands of asylum seekers who died en route here.

Oh wait...
rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

I believe its got a lot to do with sad face. Sad face, especially on a child, strikes a chord with our emotions and enables us to sing our virtues of compassion and empathy to the world, by condeming the governments evil policies.

As for a dead asylum seeker children, well they fucking dead so who gives a shit. Face probably got chewed off by a shark. Ewww.
Aikhme
Aikhme
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

it's all fabricated by the ABC and Guardian.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Aikhme
Aikhme
Aikhme
Pro

rusty - 21 Oct 2016 3:06 PM
You know whats more heartbreaking? The four corners report on the thousands of asylum seekers who died en route here.Oh wait...

Shhhhh.....we are suppose to brush that under the carpet! 
rusty
rusty
World Class

To me it proves how insincere they are. Mostly they are just looking to tear down the government and look good in UN statistics. Notice how they praise countries like Jordan for they're treatment of asylum seekers, yet say nothing of the conditions in those camps. But when it comes to Nauru and PNG theyre torture camps. Duplicitous assholes.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rusty
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search