Casey-Dandenong soccer clubs ready to unite behind local push for an A-League license

Casey-Dandenong soccer clubs ready to unite behind local push for an...

Author
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
williamn - 18 Nov 2016 11:12 PM
Dandenong Rangers, good to see some competition from the victorian areas and also good that there is atleast a bid from each of sydney, melbourne and brisbane so will be tough on ffa, will be hard to turn down a big city team.

Dandenong Rangers.. I like the name
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Isn't that the WNBL teams name?
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Nov 2016 9:40 AM

They can already get fucked

Viennese Vuck

Edited
8 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
StarvinMarvin
StarvinMarvin
Hacker
Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)Hacker (301 reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Nov 2016 9:40 AM

Except there is already a major basketball club in Dandenong with that name.

kavorka
kavorka
Amateur
Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)Amateur (663 reputation)

For me of all the bids (in Victoria at least), this is the real sleeping giant.

If done properly, this could be massive. i really see alot of parallels with the Wanderers

Of all the sporting codes, all have been too timid to tap into the South Eastern market, you are talking about a catchment area of over 1 million people.

It would be great if they could start small, like a 10k stadium, establish a base, and grow it organically and develop an identity for the area.

I have no doubts in my mind, if done properly it would work.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Don't see the parrelels with the Wanderers, west Sydney was the traditional hot bed of the sport, home to many NSL clubs and an existing base, melbournes south east has never had a top tier club, not even in the NSL, they had basketball in the 90s with the south east Melbourne magic and that was it, but even they played at rod laver arena before folding, Still maintain this is where the heart license should have gone, at least as a base, but they screwed it up. It would be a 3rd plastic club and anyone who has any interest that way would already follow one of the other two that exist, could have been a different story if they tried it a decade ago, I still maintain top tier football codes will always be based out of the cbd in this city..that's the direction the vic government started taking us when they knocked over Waverley park. We don't do suburbs here anymore, it will look bush league.
Edited
8 Years Ago by southmelb
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
As far as victorian expansion options go, its a no brainer..

1.First, and obviously smfc. All their ducks in a row. A real club that exists in the here and now, with a championship history.

2. Geelong. In the next round of expansion once they invent a club.

3. Casey. Is really the only other "ffa westfield expansion franchise metrics catchment area TM" that vic has without going completely bush. Theyre also 3rd because theyre the shittest potential away trip known to mankind.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

From what I have read this is the best bid by light years... stadium is the only issue but could they use the old AFL one at least for a couple of seasons... BTW I am from the Central Coast and have no idea of how things work in little Mexico ...
Edited
8 Years Ago by Midfielder
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Midfielder - 19 Nov 2016 12:50 PM
From what I have read this is the best bid by light years... stadium is the only issue but could they use the old AFL one at least for a couple of seasons... BTW I am from the Central Coast and have no idea of how things work in little Mexico ...

Precicelsy midfielder. Youre out of your depth again. Try understanding what youre talking about before making such lofty statements like "best bid in years".

"stadium is the only issue "

Ok. Just the superfluous little irrelevant stadium thingy... And other than the fact that the proposal is for a not yet invented club, the ffa must be barking not jumping on this with both feet.

Ps. I mean who doesn't want hal teams to play out of AFL stadiums.. Thanks but no thanks.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

Edited
8 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
HortoMagiko - 19 Nov 2016 12:35 PM
As far as victorian expansion options go, its a no brainer..

1.First, and obviously smfc. All their ducks in a row. A real club that exists in the here and now, with a championship history.

2. Geelong. In the next round of expansion once they invent a club.

3. Casey. Is really the only other "ffa westfield expansion franchise metrics catchment area TM" that vic has without going completely bush. Theyre also 3rd because theyre the shittest potential away trip known to mankind.

you forgot to add the phrase 'in your opinion'.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The herald sun poll results as of now:

South Melbourne - 50%

Geelong - 19%

Casey/Dandenong - 31%

Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
All three options have pros and cons

Surely the idea of a South - Eastern Melbourne team would have to be a very attractive option to the FFA as it meets the where the fish are mantra and the area has no local competition all, the lack of infrastructure is a not insurmountable but very real problem. 
Geelong has the stadium which is its advantage over the Eastern Melbourne option but it also has other barriers to contend with such as local AFL competition.
South Melbourne has to contend with two other Melbourne CBD teams which may work for or against it, and its supposed ethnic ties which may or may not be relevant.

Hopefully the FFA considers each bid carefully and who is to say we can't have more than one extra team in Victoria/Melbourne.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

There is no chance SMFC will get granted an expansion license. The FFA would not care how by viable or successful it will be. Their only hope is through the establishment of promotion and relegation.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Joffa - 19 Nov 2016 2:13 PM
HortoMagiko - 19 Nov 2016 12:35 PM

you forgot to add the phrase 'in your opinion'.

OK.. In my opinion Dandy is the shittest potential away trip known to mankind (besides nix).

Ange Postecoglou

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

tsf - 19 Nov 2016 6:34 PM
There is no chance SMFC will get granted an expansion license. The FFA would not care how by viable or successful it will be. Their only hope is through the establishment of promotion and relegation.

Ange Postecoglou

Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

southmelb - 19 Nov 2016 3:07 PM
The herald sun poll results as of now:South Melbourne - 50%Geelong - 19%Casey/Dandenong - 31%

So two out of the three options aren't even existent as clubs and SM (whose fans would've voted in the poll) only manage 50%?
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Most of the votes for the other 2 would be from people that don't want south in for obvious reasons as opposed to supporting the other 2, half the vote is a pretty significant win overall, we obviously outnumber the haters. Would have thought the fastest growing region in Victoria would run us a bit closer.
Edited
8 Years Ago by southmelb
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Draupnir - 19 Nov 2016 7:23 PM
southmelb - 19 Nov 2016 3:07 PM

So two out of the three options aren't even existent as clubs and SM (whose fans would've voted in the poll) only manage 50%?

True. An overwhelming landslide doesnt quite cut it.

Go out and get some fresh air draupy. 

Ange Postecoglou

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

The other option for a stadium could be Sandown as there are apparently plans to sell the land by the racing club.

There is a station there also and could be worked into a mixed use development by a generous developer :)

Overall though, how can a stadium of 10k+ be built that makes financial sense out there?There are very limited opportunities to use the stadium effectively across the year which makes this a difficult one to see happening.

In my view though, a club playing out there and not just based there would be a big strategic advantage. It's a big market that has not been tapped into effectively yet.

If a stadium solution can be reached, this would be my priority list of the 3 potential bids:

1/ South-East Melbourne
2/ South Melbourne FC
3/ Geelong

not a rapper
not a rapper
Super Fan
Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)Super Fan (135 reputation)

Well SW andP - no less, so-called commercial partnerships that are not fully disclosed, investing in digital platforms for grass roots, to connect them to A League-hot air..which means what?  Incentives for stakeholders at all levels, I can go on and on, I'm bored! Just expansion!!!!!!!!!!!! More strakeholders will come in with more products and services-on the field! We should be able to say yeah, we can currently sustain at least 14 teams. All I care about.
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

not a rapper - 20 Nov 2016 12:25 AM
Well SW andP - no less, so-called commercial partnerships that are not fully disclosed, investing in digital platforms for grass roots, to connect them to A League-hot air..which means what?  Incentives for stakeholders at all levels, I can go on and on, I'm bored! Just expansion!!!!!!!!!!!! More strakeholders will come in with more products and services-on the field! We should be able to say yeah, we can currently sustain at least 14 teams. All I care about.

I'm sorry but I really, genuinely, don't understand what you're getting at.

Commercial partnerships can't be useless projects by definition.  The game gets something from them.  Often they can't be "fully disclosed" because the commercial partner wants it that way.  Westfield's investment in the W League would be an example perhaps?

If you mean the registration system in reference of the "digital platforms for grass roots" then I differ strongly.  It's simply the best admin tool that's ever been gifted to the local game.  Saves an absolute fucktonne of problems for small clubs and larger clubs alike.

Incentives for stakeholders at all levels?  How is that broad heading a useless project in any form?  The FFA Cup is a useless project? Or what?

If you want expansion of the professional game then you and I and a million others agree.  It's not a useless project and there are no projects useless or useful that I am aware of that contradict or conflict with the aim of increasing the size of the professional game in this country.  I only differ from many on the subject in how it should be done.  I want to see ambitious Clubs take their desire and make it happen by cooperation amongst themselves, rather than sit round whining about how it isn't being gifted to them.  If that had been the attitude of decades past then the game wouldn't even be played here today.  It would seem the loudest complainants have the least desire to do the heavy lifting. 

"We should be able to say yeah, we can currently sustain at least 14 teams. All I care about."
Laudable but nothing to do with "useless projects".  AFAIK the FFA is negotiating to have 12 teams guaranteed and possibly 14 teams in the next 4 years.  (Wouldn't surprise me if they just added 4 straight up). They have said they actually want 16 but they will only add more teams in a manner that keeps the the League stable rather than risk losing them quickly as has happened in the past.  I can live with that.
Plenty can't. 

Casey-Dandenong are ambitious.  I like that. More power to them.  If they truly believe then they will make it happen.  If they just say "we have a great idea and now we want someone else to run with it" then they will fail absolutely.

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Dandenong-Casey (DC) Athletic.

Anything associated with South East Melbourne just is too long to roll off the tongue imo.
tsf
tsf
Legend

aussie pride - 21 Nov 2016 10:58 AM
Dandenong-Casey (DC) Athletic.

Anything associated with South East Melbourne just is too long to roll off the tongue imo.

if it was 6 clubs coming together then DC United would make sense too (I think there is an MLS team called that though)
Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

tsf - 21 Nov 2016 11:02 AM
aussie pride - 21 Nov 2016 10:58 AM

if it was 6 clubs coming together then DC United would make sense too (I think there is an MLS team called that though)

DC United is where Fred landed after Victory. You'd think there would be copyright issues with that, wouldn't there?

tsf
tsf
Legend

hutchonholiday - 21 Nov 2016 11:10 AM
tsf - 21 Nov 2016 11:02 AM

DC United is where Fred landed after Victory. You'd think there would be copyright issues with that, wouldn't there?

yeah, they'd probably have a worldwide patent the name, but I'm unsure of legalities regarding football club names. You'd imagine with traditional clubs clashes are fine, but with franchises it's more of a grey area
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

since Dandenong Rangers is taken, how about Melbourne Rangers FC.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Die Die Rangers Fucking Die

Viennese Vuck

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Mornington Magic
Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Really piss the AFL off and take Casey Scorpions? Or go Casey Football Group, or CFG?
Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

East Melbourne United
or EMUs
lol

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search