The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
muscleboy1957
Under 7s
Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
View from the fence - 29 Dec 2016 5:45 PM
muscleboy1957 - 29 Dec 2016 1:27 PM

The response from football supporters by NOT attending Western Sydney Wanderers games at their temporary venue at the Sydney Showgrounds certainly re-inforces my point about the general public demanding better facilities................the drop-off in attendances is substantial for the Wanderers and no wonder as the Showground is a very ordinary customer experience.

Also I did read that one of the US Major League clubs built their new stadium partly from a number of individual contributions of $500,000 from people overseas investing this minimum amount in exchange for permanent residency entry into the USA.....................maybe the Tasmanian bid can go to the Federal Government with a similar approach.................their are plenty of people living overseas that would step-up with a $500,000 investment in exchange for the chance to live permanently in Australia.............if it can be done in the USA why not for Tasmania  :-)

Worldsbestgame
Worldsbestgame
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

View from the fence - 29 Dec 2016 12:18 PM
Worldsbestgame - 28 Dec 2016 2:49 PM

Thanks very much!

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
FRANCIS LEACH: GEELONG A-LEAGUE BID IS THE REAL DEAL
BY JUSTIN TALENT 

Francis Leach has backed in Geelong’s A-League expansion bid as a serious contender after another positive turnout at Skilled Stadium on Monday night for Melbourne Victory’s 4-2 win over Newcastle.

The SEN football commentator says that the crowd of just over 14,000 people who attended the match is a good turnout considering the weather and opposition Victory played against, and shows that Geelong are hungry for a local side.

“I reckon it is (the real deal),” Leach said on SEN Breakfast.

“The big football community there is certainly hungry for it and 14,000 there last night is pretty good. The conditions weren’t great and Newcastle aren’t a top drawing team but the noise in the stadium was certainly fantastic.

“I think they have a real chance to become a really big A-League franchise.”

This is third Victory match the region has hosted at the home of the Geelong Cats AFL side in three years. The first game drew 21,000 fans in 2015 while last year's fixture against Central Coast Mariners was played in front of 13,000 people.

Leach says that despite the lack of a rectangular stadium fit for the A-League in the region, the currently under-development Skilled Stadium provides a much better experience than many other oval stadiums due to its narrow layout.

“It is a pretty good place to watch the game,” he said.

“It’s not a rectangular stadium but it is a fairly narrow stadium. The facilities are superb and it is going to be an incredible stadium when it is fully finished down there at Geelong.”

The football caller says that should the local Geelong council get behind the bid, Geelong would be a perfect expansion candidate for the 2018-2019 season.

“It comes down to a proactive city council. If they really want the club there, they’ll make an effort to make overtures,” he said.

“Geelong would be perfect…I think there is going to be a third team in and around the Greater Melbourne area and I think Geelong would be ideal for it.”

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The bigger geelongs ground gets the worse it will be, will have a 36,000 capacity when its done, way too big for a team that will be getting 6k most weeks. It will be no different to the collingwood and carlton teams in the nsl..will look horrible. You want a stadium thats in the 12-14k region for such a team.
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

- Say's the bid is the real deal.
- Gives absolutely no details into the specifics of the bid. 

What a nothing article, we already knew all this stuff.

Viennese Vuck

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 4 Jan 2017 8:17 AM
- Say's the bid is the real deal.
- Gives absolutely no details into the specifics of the bid. 

What a nothing article, we already knew all this stuff.

The disappointing thing about the expansion lack of plan from the FFA is that the competing bids should not be "competing". They should be assessed on their individual merits, and so bought into the league in an orderly fashion. At the moment there are 2 spots allegedly available next year, and approximately 12 bidders. More than enough to have an expanded A League and to give us a decent A 2 League. But by stuffing around, the FFA will ultimately cruel the chances of most of the bidding consortia to ever see the light of day.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

southmelb - 4 Jan 2017 6:08 AM
The bigger geelongs ground gets the worse it will be, will have a 36,000 capacity when its done, way too big for a team that will be getting 6k most weeks. It will be no different to the collingwood and carlton teams in the nsl..will look horrible. You want a stadium thats in the 12-14k region for such a team.

In fairness, the new stand is being built on the western side, so that'll be much better for football as there'll be more seats on the wings instead of where the second newest stand of the stadium is on the southern end behind the goal.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Just for fun (or my idea of it, anyway) I put a 1:1 scale Hindmarsh on one of the ovals in Greaves Reserve, the location mooted by the Mayor of Dandenong for a potential stadium for a South Eastern Melbourne based team. Fits like a glove!

Yarraman Station is just outside of this picture to the left, only three or four minutes' pleasant walk through the park to the station. Dandenong Station is to the right of the picture, 1.2km along Railway Parade.

I made sure that it was the correct size by measuring 100m before screencapping on google maps and scaling the stadium to match in photoshop. Some might notice I've taken away the top tier of the northern stand, but I've probably more than made up for this by being able to extend the main stand and opposite stand along the whole width of the field due to the extra space in Dandenong that Hindmarsh doesn't have due to surrounding roads.

It's also worth mentioning that I've aligned the stadium with the railway to maximise space rather than running north-south, although the 30 or so degree angle is probably closer to the ideal angle than straight north facing one due to the fact we don't live on a flat Earth; the sun sets in the north-west rather than straight west at this latitude, so 30 degrees is actually closer to the optimum angle.

I know nobody's publicly announced that they'd stump for a Dandenong Hindmarsh, or even a stripped-down cheapo scaffold-based version, but I think it was interesting to see how all the parts come together down there. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

paladisious - 5 Jan 2017 12:26 AM
Just for fun (or my idea of it, anyway) I put a 1:1 scale Hindmarsh on one of the ovals in Greaves Reserve, the location mooted by the Mayor of Dandenong for a potential stadium for a South Eastern Melbourne based team. Fits like a glove!

Yarraman Station is just outside of this picture to the left, only three or four minutes' pleasant walk through the park to the station. Dandenong Station is to the right of the picture, 1.2km along Railway Parade.

I made sure that it was the correct size by measuring 100m before screencapping on google maps and scaling the stadium to match in photoshop. Some might notice I've taken away the top tier of the northern stand, but I've probably more than made up for this by being able to extend the main stand and opposite stand along the whole width of the field due to the extra space in Dandenong that Hindmarsh doesn't have due to surrounding roads.

It's also worth mentioning that I've aligned the stadium with the railway to maximise space rather than running north-south, although the 30 or so degree angle is probably closer to the ideal angle than straight north facing one due to the fact we don't live on a flat Earth; the sun sets in the north-west rather than straight west at this latitude, so 30 degrees is actually closer to the optimum angle.

I know nobody's publicly announced that they'd stump for a Dandenong Hindmarsh, or even a stripped-down cheapo scaffold-based version, but I think it was interesting to see how all the parts come together down there. 

Love it!
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Meh. Lakeside is better ;) 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

We need more investigation into the Sunshine Coast imo

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Here's a bonus dodgy 3D photoshop I knocked up, looking towards the Dandenong CBD:

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

paladisious - 5 Jan 2017 2:39 AM
Here's a bonus dodgy 3D photoshop I knocked up, looking towards the Dandenong CBD:

Hardly dodgy. It looks great. But didnt the mayor say that theyd be playing out of aami? 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

HortoMagiko - 5 Jan 2017 2:52 AM
paladisious - 5 Jan 2017 2:39 AM

Hardly dodgy. It looks great. But didnt the mayor say that theyd be playing out of aami? 

Only ad interim:

Mayor of Greater Dandenong Jim Memeti has confirmed his council has identified two possible locations to base a potential A-League club, as the race towards expansion heats up.

Their preference is to build a 20,000 seat boutique stadium at the Dandenong Showgrounds, and while AAMI Park would be the home ground early on, training facilities would be ready in the area by July 2017.

“There’s been talks of locations in the City of Greater Dandenong, we’ve identified two locations, one being the Bennett St showgrounds, which is probably the best one, it’s only less than one kilometre away from Dandenong train station,” Memeti told SEN Afternoons.

“We would have training facilities ready to go as early as July, council is currently constructing a $12million precinct for soccer at Patterson Park.

“Potentially we could be playing home games at AAMI Park, and in the future the showgrounds…we could build a boutique stadium holding 20,000 people.

Source.

The Dandenong Showgrounds, AKA Grieve Reserve, is the site I photoshopped.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Yeah agree totally. And Its not just the fact that its an AFL oval (which for mine is bad enough - AFL ovals should absolutely be a deal breaker for an expansion club imo) you look how roar have struggled in a rectangular stadium thats too big..let alone strikers playing out of suncorp...or casey playing out of aami for that matter. Suicidal expansion.

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
7 Years Ago by HortoMagiko
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 5 Jan 2017 3:15 AM

Yeah agree totally. And Its not just the fact that its an AFL oval (which for mine is bad enough - AFL ovals should absolutely be a deal breaker for an expansion club imo) you look how roar have struggled in a rectangular stadium thats too big..let alone strikers playing out of suncorp...or casey playing out of aami for that matter. Suicidal expansion.

Geelong simply can't happen unless they have a purpose built 15k capacity rectangular stadium. There's no way they're going to draw huge crowds week in week out. Would be a disaster. I never go to the Geelong games because the viewing is atrocious, worse than Etihad when the seats are out. 
And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

scott21 - 5 Jan 2017 2:07 AM
We need more investigation into the Sunshine Coast imo

and Hamilton Island 

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Stu4206
Stu4206
Under 7s
Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)

azzaMVFC - 5 Jan 2017 8:44 AM

Geelong simply can't happen unless they have a purpose built 15k capacity rectangular stadium. There's no way they're going to draw huge crowds week in week out. Would be a disaster. I never go to the Geelong games because the viewing is atrocious, worse than Etihad when the seats are out. 

You have to imagine that with 12 bids all competing, the FFA would be in a position to demand that a bid like Geelong or Dandenong/Casey comes with commitments to build a rectangular stadium within a set time period - perhaps a staged developed, e.g. 8,000 by 2022, 12,000 by 2026 and so on. The demand for licenses in the MLS means they are able to pick bids that will play out of suitable stadiums, with most now building their own.

I realise we're in a different market with a 15x smaller population and far less population centres, but as has been mentioned, you'd hope the FFA view each of the bids as possible future clubs in either the A-League or a second division (rather than all competing for only 2 spots) and sets tough criteria around stadiums. If those areas really want a team they will pony up the money, lobby state and federal governments for funding, and/or look to private investors.

The MLS turned the corner when they realised that teams needed to stop playing out of empty NFL stadiums but rather small intimate venues at >80% capacity. They've done an amazing job at creating demand in a very tough sporting market.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Stu4206 - 5 Jan 2017 11:57 AM

You have to imagine that with 12 bids all competing, the FFA would be in a position to demand that a bid like Geelong or Dandenong/Casey comes with commitments to build a rectangular stadium within a set time period - perhaps a staged developed, e.g. 8,000 by 2022, 12,000 by 2026 and so on. The demand for licenses in the MLS means they are able to pick bids that will play out of suitable stadiums, with most now building their own.

I realise we're in a different market with a 15x smaller population and far less population centres, but as has been mentioned, you'd hope the FFA view each of the bids as possible future clubs in either the A-League or a second division (rather than all competing for only 2 spots) and sets tough criteria around stadiums. If those areas really want a team they will pony up the money, lobby state and federal governments for funding, and/or look to private investors.

The MLS turned the corner when they realised that teams needed to stop playing out of empty NFL stadiums but rather small intimate venues at >80% capacity. They've done an amazing job at creating demand in a very tough sporting market.

2022, is casey and strikers playing out of ammi and suncorp respectively,  for the next 5 years. Suicidal.

Expansion of closed leagues is by and large unchartered waters. We can only base it off MLS, as vastly different as their demos are... Our own short foray into this model shows how tentative the road is.... From super clubs like mvfc to super failures like aukland kingz. And I do not profess to have the answer(s) to this riddlle. (Im anti closed league).

End of the day, we can only look at the bids that are on the table. Thats why i obviously lean towards a sustainable boutique stadium like lakeside. It alreafy there. We dont have to stress about that one. Its one ticked off the list. 

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

HortoMagiko - 5 Jan 2017 3:15 AM

Same. And tbh the novelty of the road trip wore off pretty quck for me. And yeah aami is so good for so many reasons, and not least the view and convienience, in a perfect world we don't play anywhere else at home.

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Fantastic effort Pala!
I would have no clue how to do something as good as this but i bet it would've taken a while, quality work as always.
That 3D caption is really cool work.

Over the next few weeks I may be in the area so i'd be happy to swing past and take a few photos of the precinct if it helps you at any way. 
From what I could find via google maps, your location for the stadium is basically bang on imo, all the other ovals have existing use as far as i'm aware.
Personally i reckon you could fill 3 out of the 4 corners to if need be.

I love how Australia has both Hindmarsh & NIB Stadium in our league. They really are the templates we need to follow in future boutique stadium imo.
It was promising to hear that Tasmania were looking at the NIB model for their proposed reconfiguration of North Hobart.

Stu4206
Stu4206
Under 7s
Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)Under 7s (14 reputation)

HortoMagiko - 5 Jan 2017 12:35 PM
Stu4206 - 5 Jan 2017 11:57 AM

2022, is casey and strikers playing out of ammi and suncorp respectively,  for the next 5 years. Suicidal.

Expansion of closed leagues is by and large unchartered waters. We can only base it off MLS, as vastly different as their demos are... Our own short foray into this model shows how tentative the road is.... From super clubs like mvfc to super failures like aukland kingz. And I do not profess to have the answer(s) to this riddlle. (Im anti closed league).

End of the day, we can only look at the bids that are on the table. Thats why i obviously lean towards a sustainable boutique stadium like lakeside. It alreafy there. We dont have to stress about that one. Its one ticked off the list. 

I agree wholeheartedly. SMFC have a suitable stadium ready now, and bids like Wollongong or Southern Sydney would likewise. Those bids should get the green light for 2018/19 and the bids that require stadiums built get the green light for when they're stadiums are ready, e.g. 2022. 

If 10,000 turn up to Geelong's first game at a purpose built 12,000 stadium, its going to be a better atmosphere with more people returning, demand higher, creating urgency about attending games, signing up for memberships. 

If 12,000 turn up to Geelong's first game at a 40,000 AFL ground and the atmosphere sucks, a lot can turn off really quickly, there's no demand for tickets or memberships.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

aussie pride - 5 Jan 2017 1:19 PM

Fantastic effort Pala!
I would have no clue how to do something as good as this but i bet it would've taken a while, quality work as always.
That 3D caption is really cool work.

Over the next few weeks I may be in the area so i'd be happy to swing past and take a few photos of the precinct if it helps you at any way. 
From what I could find via google maps, your location for the stadium is basically bang on imo, all the other ovals have existing use as far as i'm aware.
Personally i reckon you could fill 3 out of the 4 corners to if need be.

I love how Australia has both Hindmarsh & NIB Stadium in our league. They really are the templates we need to follow in future boutique stadium imo.
It was promising to hear that Tasmania were looking at the NIB model for their proposed reconfiguration of North Hobart.

Cheers AP! :)

Fortunately the roads around the oval in question are covered by Street View so we can all have a little look that way (here's the google maps link) but if you have time to scout out the location in real time and report back your findings that would be awesome!

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Ryan Reynolds: The case is building builds for an A-League franchise in Geelong
Ryan Reynolds, Geelong Advertiser
29 minutes ago

THE consortium hoping to bring an A-League franchise to Geelong must be sitting back and smiling.

Tuesday night’s A-League clash between Melbourne Victory and Newcastle Jets saw 14,000 people stream through the gates; proof there is a thirst for elite summer sport in the region.

But there is still a lot of water that needs to go under the bridge before a consortium even thinks about making an official approach for a franchise.

Proposed framework for the expansion is due to be released next month and those supporting a Geelong bid — who have been happy to remain in the shadows — will surely have meetings with FFA in the lead up.

And while many will argue the 14,000 that walked through the gates was largely down to Melbourne Victory’s powerhouse pulling power, there are plenty of reasons why Geelong can host a successful team in football’s top flight.

There is a multi-million dollar stadium with perfect access to public transport, a walk away from the city that lays dormant through summer.

It has state-of-the-art, broadcast quality, floodlights which give the league flexibility with fixturing.

Its grandstands are almost new and the pitch has drawn rave reviews from Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone and a plethora of A-League coaches including Victory’s Kevin Muscat.

A purpose-built rectangular stadium would be nice, but it’s doubtful any other bid will have a facility quite like Geelong’s.

The key for a Geelong bid is for it to find a grassroots supporter base that can make it financially stable in the long term.

But signs are hopeful there, too. There are almost 4000 registered players in Geelong with the number growing rapidly on the back of growing numbers in junior ranks.

Those behind the bid know that there may have to be some short-term pain while the club finds its feet, but there is plenty of potential to grow a supporter base much quicker than many of the other teams in the competition.

The Geelong team has to capture the imagination of western Victoria and while its base may be here, there is no reason why towns like Colac and Warrnambool cannot be targeted.

A trip to Melbourne from places like Colac, Warrnambool and Portland for a football game may be a stretch, but that extra hour saved in the car by coming to Geelong is surely more appealing.

The Cats have done this well with their Warrnambool Cats buses that come down for home games.

There is nothing to stop a Geelong A-League team playing a game against a low drawing side like Wellington in one of those towns either.

What happens next is in the hands of our local consortium, the FFA and the A-League. But the potential is there for a Geelong-based club to be successful.

Good to have a Hollywood A-Lister supporting their bid!
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The almost 4K registered players really ain't much.

It will be an interesting cat and mouse game between a potential a league franchise or Bbl in Geelong , the t20 international coming up there is already sold out and naturally the town will get talked up for bbl expansion as well.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

southmelb - 5 Jan 2017 10:06 PM
The almost 4K registered players really ain't much.It will be an interesting cat and mouse game between a potential a league franchise or Bbl in Geelong , the t20 international coming up there is already sold out and naturally the town will get talked up for bbl expansion as well.

No it isnt much...its negligible in terms of expansion criteria. And Its not the only wrong thing w this article.

Aside from the fact that hes selling simmonds stadium..which boggles my mind, hes saying the consortium themselves admit they "know that there may have to be some short-term pain while the club finds its feet".....  Which doesnt do alot to alay my concerns.. sounds painful. And how long is a piece of string?

Its also just a tad worrying when he says "Colac, Warrnambool and Portland........There is nothing to stop a Geelong A-League team playing a game against a low drawing side like Wellington in one of those towns either""... Just put a bullet into the ratings right now.

Ange Postecoglou

Edited
stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

" FFA that they definitely want to go with the model involving associations joining forces to cover a wider area and won't support a bid from a stand-alone team "

You can forget West Adel, Brisbane Strikers , South Melbourne if this becomes part of the criteria.  Regional Australia will become the winner from expansion.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

they probably don't want stand alone regional teams is what I gather from that. Doesn't mean they wouldn't go for an established club in a major city.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Fury and GCU in! 

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

This is fantastic mate!
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search