The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

Author
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
loki - 10 Jan 2017 8:56 AM
It's true, Sydney doesn't snort balls anywhere near as badly as it did ten years ago. It's actually possible to find a decent bar up there now, rather than wondering whether your mates are taking the piss out of you by talking about this 'great pub' they're taking you to that inevitably ended up being another fucking RSL.

Lol, cricketers Arms is one of the oldest pubs in Australia. 

If you come to Sydney and end up in an RSL you're not looking particularly hard for something good. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jan 2017 12:07 AM
hutchonholiday - 9 Jan 2017 1:37 PM

You're basically asking your fellow Melbournians to talk up Sydney. You are only going to get the typical, chip on shoulder responses there buddy.

The SFS is in a great part of town and only a 5 minute walk away from some of the best urban areas in the country. Head north to oxford street to Indian Home Diner in Paddington to get the best damn Indian food outside of India (I lived in London for a year, trust me), or go back down Foveaux street towards Central Station to the Cricketers Arms. Sure, the lockout laws have taken their toll but the zone ends outside Surry Hills. Strawberry Hills hotel on Devonshire Street is a great pub and is open till like 6am or something ridiculous like that. As for the game, if both teams keep their form up there will be 25k+ at this game easy. Any crowd at the sfs beyong 15k has a decent atmosphere, better that any match i've witnessed at ethihad, though nowhere near as good as Aami Park. I would like to think this will be the game that will decide the premiership and there will be a large Victory contingent present. Have fun.

To be fair, I did live in Brisbane and loved it but I'd still tell everyone to avoid Roar away like the plague. 

The novelty of Sydney FC away has run its toll with me after many an ordinary experience whilst Adelaide somehow always manages to be madness.

If you guys hosted us at Kogarah or Shark Park for whatever random reason, I'd be down as it at least changes things up and keep things intimiate. Sometimes you just miss the coins flying past your head...

Viennese Vuck

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Have to keep Ansell and Donachie in this market. Australian CB's are probably the most valuable player we could produce $$$ wise with the +1 rule. 
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jan 2017 10:20 AM
loki - 10 Jan 2017 8:56 AM

Lol, cricketers Arms is one of the oldest pubs in Australia. 

If you come to Sydney and end up in an RSL you're not looking particularly hard for something good. 

Have been to the Cricketers, and to the Strawberry Hills as well as a bunch of other pubs (the Hoey, Abercrombie, Lansdowne etc when they were open) around Sydney after having a girlfriend from there and heading back and forth for about five years. They're all 'fine' but they were nothing special and always had the same vibe of being a bit of an old man pub with pokies in the corner and seemed to be attempting to stay as generic as possible. Have been back in the past few years and there's a hell of a lot of good bars now that the licensing laws have changed, but the Sydney bar scene was utterly fucking horrendous compared to Melbourne's up until about 2011-2012.

If you think they were at all comparable before that you're awfully naive.
Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Best thing about today's presser - Rojas 100% ruled out a January transfer out of the club. He is here to win a title with us this season.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

tsf - 9 Jan 2017 4:46 PM
azzaMVFC - 9 Jan 2017 4:18 PM

Yeah, it's quite odd. Surely he did a preseason. It's like he has got the Ian Baker-Finches. Another possible explanation is something I picked up on from looking at his Instagram.

Yeah, needs more hot babes in his piccies

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

RedFunk
RedFunk
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

hutchonholiday - 10 Jan 2017 11:49 AM
Best thing about today's presser - Rojas 100% ruled out a January transfer out of the club. He is here to win a title with us this season.

Try to at least. 
Hutch
Hutch
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

FunkMasterFlex - 10 Jan 2017 12:40 PM
hutchonholiday - 10 Jan 2017 11:49 AM

Try to at least. 

Nothing wrong with a little optimism.

At least he's in a squad still able to try ;)
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

loki - 10 Jan 2017 10:58 AM
sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jan 2017 10:20 AM

Have been to the Cricketers, and to the Strawberry Hills as well as a bunch of other pubs (the Hoey, Abercrombie, Lansdowne etc when they were open) around Sydney after having a girlfriend from there and heading back and forth for about five years. They're all 'fine' but they were nothing special and always had the same vibe of being a bit of an old man pub with pokies in the corner and seemed to be attempting to stay as generic as possible. Have been back in the past few years and there's a hell of a lot of good bars now that the licensing laws have changed, but the Sydney bar scene was utterly fucking horrendous compared to Melbourne's up until about 2011-2012.

If you think they were at all comparable before that you're awfully naive.

Not at all. Melbourne has shat on Sydney for food and drinks for decades. Funilly enough the only time ive thought otherwise was when you had the lockout trial in place around 08/09. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Dark times. Dark, dark times.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

View from the fence - 10 Jan 2017 11:53 AM
tsf - 9 Jan 2017 4:46 PM

Yeah, needs more hot babes in his piccies

Getting warm...
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jan 2017 1:32 PM
loki - 10 Jan 2017 10:58 AM

Not at all. Melbourne has shat on Sydney for food and drinks for decades. 

I have lived in both, Sydney is a fanatstic city but culturally it is not close. But that is fine because Sydney has so much more to offer.
Thai food, and Asian food in general is done better in Sydney, but when it comes to anything cutting-edge or different, they usually follow Melbourne a year or two later. We have better laws and locations that make this possible. For years any half baked artist or designer could stump up teh cash for a bar in a lane in melbourne. In sydney you needed to be part of a lebanese crime family with the aesthetic tastes to match. 

It is slowly changing in Sydney. I often say if you had a hybrid of both cities it would be one of the world's great cities. 
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

tsf - 10 Jan 2017 1:53 PM
View from the fence - 10 Jan 2017 11:53 AM

Getting warm...

I remember the jazz hands goal celebration

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

View from the fence - 10 Jan 2017 5:06 PM
tsf - 10 Jan 2017 1:53 PM

I remember the jazz hands goal celebration

So what has that got to do with his lack of game time? (The insinuation, not the jazz hands, lol)
World Class

sanchez - 10 Jan 2017 6:23 PM
View from the fence - 10 Jan 2017 5:06 PM

So what has that got to do with his lack of game time? (The insinuation, not the jazz hands, lol)

No idea,  ask tsf.  He's the one with spider senses

sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

View from the fence - 10 Jan 2017 6:53 PM
sanchez - 10 Jan 2017 6:23 PM

No idea,  ask tsf.  He's the one with spider senses

Well, yeah kinda was tbh. Help us Spiderman/TSF
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

tsf - 10 Jan 2017 1:58 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 10 Jan 2017 1:32 PM

I have lived in both, Sydney is a fanatstic city but culturally it is not close. But that is fine because Sydney has so much more to offer.
Thai food, and Asian food in general is done better in Sydney, but when it comes to anything cutting-edge or different, they usually follow Melbourne a year or two later. We have better laws and locations that make this possible. For years any half baked artist or designer could stump up teh cash for a bar in a lane in melbourne. In sydney you needed to be part of a lebanese crime family with the aesthetic tastes to match. 

It is slowly changing in Sydney. I often say if you had a hybrid of both cities it would be one of the world's great cities. 

Thing is with Sydney, the best 'ethnic' food joints are generally out in the burbs, i.e Cabrammatta for Vietnamese, Lakemba for Lebanese etc.Wouldn't have a clue if this is the case in Melbourne or not.  I've often combined a city wide pub crawl with a food safari. Its the best. 

Anyway, enough off topic. Hopefully heading to Melbourne on Invasion Day to watch Sydney beat Victory and celebrating at the Espy the day afterward ;) 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Great to hear the Victory Secret that Geria has re-signed for two years, hope it's true!
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

paladisious - 11 Jan 2017 5:57 AM
Great to hear the Victory Secret that Geria has re-signed for two years, hope it's true!

3 years :laugh:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer O/S at the end of this year however. 

tsf
tsf
Legend

Great news on geria. 

RE Aus day...anyone heard whispers of a fan solidarity protest on Aus day game? Basically everyone kneeling for the Aus anthem? Probably not as I just made it up then, but bloody hell it would make the MSM go effing mental 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

tsf - 11 Jan 2017 4:44 PM
Great news on geria. 

RE Aus day...anyone heard whispers of a fan solidarity protest on Aus day game? Basically everyone kneeling for the Aus anthem? Probably not as I just made it up then, but bloody hell it would make the MSM go effing mental 

You can do what you like, I won't be participating.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

1 year extension for Thomas!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C18nNcNVQAAcV9c.jpg

sanchez
sanchez
Pro

jlm8695 - 12 Jan 2017 4:49 PM
1 year extension for Thomas!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C18nNcNVQAAcV9c.jpg

Only 1 year? Maybe he wants to test the waters o/s? You would think the club would want him around longer
tsf
tsf
Legend

I am 50/50 on thomas. He makes few mistakes and our defence has been a lot better exposing him a lot less. I am still happy with him between teh sticks, I am just not sure his is euro standard.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Great news on geria. 

Solidarity for whom?
dpg2004
dpg2004
Rising Star
Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)Rising Star (837 reputation)

Do you guys think Bozanic is marquee worthy?

Should coach renew his contract?

I believe his over-hyped...average player. 
tsf
tsf
Legend

dpg2004 - 12 Jan 2017 6:43 PM
Do you guys think Bozanic is marquee worthy?

Nobody does
tsf
tsf
Legend

433 - 12 Jan 2017 6:25 PM

Solidarity for whom?

The first Australians. Anyway, I was only posting in jest.

Sort of. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Novak Djokovic was our lucky charm and vocal supporter when we put four past Brisbane last year. He's in town and had a kickaround for charity with Archie, will we get a repeat performance?

sanchez
sanchez
Pro

tsf - 12 Jan 2017 6:45 PM
433 - 12 Jan 2017 6:25 PM

The first Australians. Anyway, I was only posting in jest.

Sort of. 

Not really a fan of 'Invasion Day' but also not too interested in making political statements at football matches (or on football forums)
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search