The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
Worldsbestgame
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 8 Feb 2017 2:39 PM
Worldsbestgame - 8 Feb 2017 2:13 PM

I also support CCM but know that the status quo will not remain. Paradoxically, while people lambast our owner for not spending enough on the squad he is investing in developing alternate revenue streams. This will mean a sustainable club in the very near future and eventually a future proof club that will have the wherewithal to bounce back quickly if the worst happens and we are relegated.

I love that CCM are future proofing themselves. Better to get started on it now when there is no threat of relegation. Once PR does eventuate, if they should happen to fall, they would be well placed to bounce back up and hopefully pick up a nice trophy on the way back up (please FFA make the A2 trophy better than the toilet seat!).

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

aussie pride - 5 Feb 2017 6:34 PM
Here's some photos of Lakeside at the nitro athletics.Tbh on the wing opposing the TV cameras, it would be pretty awesome if they could get a second tier very similar to NIB in Perth. Would be the missing piece to complete the ground with quality elevated wing views and a great overview of the lake at skyline of the cbd.

The view from behind the goals is utterly shocking. 
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Davo1985 - 8 Feb 2017 5:59 PM
aussie pride - 5 Feb 2017 6:34 PM

The view from behind the goals is utterly shocking. 

agree, but not as shocking as spotless down the big screen end.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

South Melbourne legend Fernando De Moraes backs NPL club’s bid to be added to A-League

THE player dubbed the greatest in South Melbourne’s Victorian Premier League history has backed the club’s bid to be awarded an A-League licence.

Brazilian attacking midfielder Fernando De Moraes, who made 174 appearances over a nine-year career at South Melbourne, said the club had everything in place to become a successful A-League club.

De Moraes said South Melbourne’s 12,000-capacity home Lakeside Stadium and existing fan base should work in the club’s favour.

“I think so, they should,” he said.

“People say it is because of their history, but I think when you put the club out there, they have a lot of supporters.

“They won’t have to do a lot of promoting to bring supporters into the club like A-League clubs do because they started off out of nothing.

“Which Victory did, and they did a great job, and City is trying to build up that football culture.

“I think South Melbourne already has all of that.”

The club labelled De Moraes “without doubt the best player we’ve had” after he announced his retirement three years ago.

Two extra teams are expected to be added to the national competition next year, with South Melbourne issuing one of the more vocal bids.

“The club has the name, has the culture, has the supporters, has the stadium, the facilities,” De Moraes said.

“It’s all about the federation making a decision.

“It’s a big promotion as well. It’s one of the biggest clubs in Australia. It has a big history.”
Victoria United (Geelong), Tasmania and Wollongong are among the other regions to express interest.

De Moraes, a former captain of Australia’s futsal team the Futsalroos, currently coaches for Futsal Oz in Brunswick.

He was a member of the South Melbourne team which took out the VPL title in 2006 and was crowned the VPL player of the season in 2010.

“Back in my days, sometimes we would have 800 supporters on a cold Sunday night,” he said.

“They were the same supporters that would come during the year week-in, week-out, no matter what happened.

“They were not young people, they were old people that loved the club and they would be there no matter what.”

South Melbourne has been linked with a move to make Brazilian legend Roberto Carlos its inaugural A-League coach, while it was rumoured the club expressed interest in signing former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba as its marquee player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inner-south/sport/south-melbourne-legend-fernando-de-moraes-backs-npl-clubs-bid-to-be-added-to-aleague/news-story/0515f1b3d84d1e3a66eba2d32df68e9e
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

How many people do South Melbourne get to a game on average?
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

433 - 8 Feb 2017 10:07 PM
How many people do South Melbourne get to a game on average?

How many do most state league clubs average a game. State leagues get no coverage and are dead ends. Asking for their crowd numbers is pointless as it's not a true indicator of how they will go in the national league.

South averaged 7K last NSL season. I'd suspect that they'd do a lot better.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Worldsbestgame - 8 Feb 2017 3:54 PM
patjennings - 8 Feb 2017 2:39 PM

I love that CCM are future proofing themselves. Better to get started on it now when there is no threat of relegation. Once PR does eventuate, if they should happen to fall, they would be well placed to bounce back up and hopefully pick up a nice trophy on the way back up (please FFA make the A2 trophy better than the toilet seat!).

Heard it will be the lid on top.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 8 Feb 2017 10:31 PM
Worldsbestgame - 8 Feb 2017 3:54 PM

Heard it will be the lid on top.

Heard it will be the bowl underneath, ready to catch adelaide united when we drop
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bohemia - 8 Feb 2017 10:46 PM

Heard it will be the bowl underneath, ready to catch adelaide united when we drop

Haha true. But Adelaide are doing a Leicester. 

Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

Surely it's the S-Bend? Certainly fucked if you went down any further

Which brings me to my question (bare with me, TheSelectFew, don't tell me to fuck off, serious question), how does the "full pyramid" work where, at some point, you presumably have levels that are playing in winter? Do those clubs sit out 12 months after earning promotion? What about in the other direction?

I'm actually warming to the idea of Pro/Rel. Massively risky but probably a better shot than the current "single-white-female" strategy which seems like a dead end. That seems the a big practical issue though - the summer winter thing

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Australian Football dude - 8 Feb 2017 11:02 PM

Which brings me to my question (bare with me, TheSelectFew, don't tell me to fuck off, serious question), how does the "full pyramid" work where, at some point, you presumably have levels that are playing in winter? Do those clubs sit out 12 months after earning promotion? What about in the other direction?

I'm actually warming to the idea of Pro/Rel. Massively risky but probably a better shot than the current "single-white-female" strategy which seems like a dead end. That seems the a big practical issue though - the summer winter thing

Fuck off. 

Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

TheSelectFew - 8 Feb 2017 11:04 PM

Fuck off. 

As predictable as this A League season! 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

K. 
Australian Football dude - 8 Feb 2017 11:07 PM

K. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Who are you fooling Mr Football
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan

aufc_ole - 8 Feb 2017 11:16 PM

Who are you fooling Mr Football

I said warming to it....it is highly risky and there is no easy path forward...

Surely someone supportive of the "full pyramid" model has thought through the summer / winter problem though? 

(I'm not Mr Football btw, I suspect  he's "Pipinu")

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Australian Football dude - 8 Feb 2017 11:43 PM

Surely someone supportive of the "full pyramid" model has thought through the summer / winter problem though? 

Aww yeah? You reckon.

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

You could have the B-league/A-league 2 (whatever it is called) in the summer as well. The only thing that would stay in the winter would be our state NPL competitions. Maybe we could have them starting later.. maybe the B-league/A-league 2 could be a shorter season so that there is a month between seasons for this clubs that drop from B-league/A-league 2 to their state NPL have enough time to get ready. 
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

All depends what cistern you play

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

View from the fence - 9 Feb 2017 11:57 AM

All depends what cistern you play

Aha
Oh dear.....
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Davide82 - 9 Feb 2017 2:14 PM
View from the fence - 9 Feb 2017 11:57 AM

Aha
Oh dear.....

C'mon - after over 4000 posts Timmy finally got a smile out of me.

Edited
7 Years Ago by patjennings
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan

theFOOTBALLlover - 9 Feb 2017 11:53 AM

You could have the B-league/A-league 2 (whatever it is called) in the summer as well. The only thing that would stay in the winter would be our state NPL competitions. Maybe we could have them starting later.. maybe the B-league/A-league 2 could be a shorter season so that there is a month between seasons for this clubs that drop from B-league/A-league 2 to their state NPL have enough time to get ready. 

That's my assumption. You would either need to "stagger" the bridging leagues between summer and winter or have a "purgatory" league between , say. the second division and the state leagues that, say, ran from November to April

If the A and A2 leagues had 14 teams, the A3 might have 12 teams and play a 22 match season.  Relegated clubs drop straight in to the state season (with no chance of promotion)  or wait until the next season

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Australian Football dude - 8 Feb 2017 11:07 PM

Unlike the AFL where the team that finished 7th became the premiers!!!!:Whistling:

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

patjennings - 9 Feb 2017 2:23 PM
Davide82 - 9 Feb 2017 2:14 PM

C'mon - after over 4000 posts Timmy finally got a smile out of me.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NxA9Wmq8ISblK/giphy.gif

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
southmelb - 8 Feb 2017 9:41 AM
So basically the current state of play is that the 2 preffered teams the ffa would want are nowhere near ready, so we are delaying it, don't expect to hear anything worth listening to from the ffa until something starts cooking with the 3rd Sydney team, they must be struggling to find suckers.The whole thing is a scam, kinda hoping we pull our bid, they have already made it obvious that ours and tasmanias is out the door.

I really hope so. Lay back until the lowys are well and truly gone and the governing body has its shit together. Im dead serious. Just keep doing your thing imo, but make winning the ffa cup every year the prime directive of the club. Shove it up lowy any chance you get.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

HortoMagiko - 10 Feb 2017 7:58 AM
southmelb - 8 Feb 2017 9:41 AM

I really hope so. Lay back until the lowys are well and truly gone and the governing body has its shit together. Im dead serious. Just keep doing your thing imo, but make winning the ffa cup every year the prime directive of the club. Shove it up lowy any chance you get.

Bring back the NSL, the FFA has done a shit job!!!!

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

robbos - 10 Feb 2017 8:25 AM
HortoMagiko - 10 Feb 2017 7:58 AM

Bring back the NSL, the FFA has done a shit job!!!!

Retarded comment. 

And yeah the infamously corrupt lowy dynasty have engaged 18% of participants and a closed salary capped league of 9 aus teams in over a decade. Whatever floats your boat. 

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

robbos
robbos
Pro

HortoMagiko - 10 Feb 2017 8:32 AM
robbos - 10 Feb 2017 8:25 AM

Retarded comment. 

And yeah the infamously corrupt lowy dynasty have engaged 18% of participants and a closed salary capped league of 9 aus teams in over a decade. Whatever floats your boat. 

Thanks for your intelligent comment!!!
Follow the game for 40 years now, the game has never been better, far from perfect, yes, but not the doom & gloom you project, you want corrupt dynasties, have a look at your beloved Sth Melb & the old NSL.
Have a nice day.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

robbos - 10 Feb 2017 8:36 AM

Follow the game for 40 years now, the game has never been better, far from perfect, yes, but not the doom & gloom you project, you want corrupt dynasties, have a look at your beloved Sth Melb & the old NSL.
Have a nice day.

That's right folks, no matter how many times the FFA cock everything up, display rampant nepotism or refuse to listen to fan demands, it doesn't matter as long as things are only marginally better than a semi-professional league that finished up nearly 15 years ago.

Way to aim high.

Viennese Vuck

Edited
7 Years Ago by melbourne_terrace
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

Have a nice day.

Bahaha. Such a defensive delicate flower arent you. 

Um maybe you havent noticed the very lowys you defend are in hot water with their overlords, who are finally forcing their hand to reform the corrupt and inept governance they have instilled in our game.

You have two gears - nsl , hal. Pedestrian lesser of two evils argument. I dont hate ffa. I hate lowys and and their puppet gallop. Replace them and i might just love the ffa. Open the hal up and i might just fall back in love with that too again. 

And if by the "game has never been better" you mean no div2 on the horizon, no pr, 9 pro clubs, shit 6 year tv deal,  corrupt incompetent leadership, no transfers, reduced squad sizes, etc etc etc then like i said, whatever floats your boat. I prefer the good things weve achieved without having to compromise the very integrity credibility and growth of the sport in this country. 

Ange Postecoglou

HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro

melbourne_terrace - 10 Feb 2017 8:42 AM

That's right folks, no matter how many times the FFA cock everything up, display rampant nepotism or refuse to listen to fan demands, it doesn't matter as long as things are only marginally better than a semi-professional league that finished up nearly 15 years ago.

Way to aim high.

Bahahaha. True true. Makes em feel tough beating up on the semi pros.

Ange Postecoglou

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search