ABC firms for free-to-air soccer rights

ABC firms for free-to-air soccer rights

Author
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
SWandP - 3 May 2017 2:43 PM
Davide82 - 3 May 2017 11:15 AM

It's only one data point but, he is the sole reason I stopped watching the A League on SBS.  Moving it off HD meant that it was no longer even worth watching with the sound off.
Got Foxtel HD.  It's single greatest advantage is no Basheer.  Really.  Not even kidding.

You're not alone, plenty have expressed a dislike for Basheer.

He doesn't worry me, not in the least, when I'm watching a game, the commentators barely register for me - they are never the reason why I choose to watch live sport (or not).

As I said earlier, I'm not aware of too many commentators in any sport who are universally loved.  Go to any sports forum, and everyone is whinging about commentators.
Edited
7 Years Ago by pippinu
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
OPINION

Chasing the audience: is it over and out for cricket on free to air TV?

With free-to-air broadcasters under pressure, Cricket Australia is going to struggle to squeeze more dollars out of its broadcast rights, argues Marc C-Scott in a crossposting from The Conversation

How Australians watch cricket on screens in the future could depend on what happens with the Nine Network’s current discussions with Cricket Australia over the 2018-23 media rights. The Conversation

UBS media analyst Eric Choi said the current deal costs Nine about A$100 million a year but generates only A$60 million to A$70 million in gross revenue.

Choi said the network should either ask for access to more content at no additional cost, or step away from its long association with cricket.

The ramifications of Nine’s decision could be broad, impacting not only its potential revenue and viewers, but also participation rates among Aussies playing grassroots cricket.

Cricket’s current standing

The current media rights deal for cricket includes the Nine Network and Network Ten. Nine has the rights to international tests, one-day internationals and T20 international games played in Australia, whereas Ten has the rights to the Big Bash League (BBL).

The BBL has become a crucial cricketing brand, continuing to gain high ratings and listed in Australia’s Top 20 engaging programs for 2016.

The league also has excellent crowd attendance, having recently ranked 9th in the world’s top-attended sports leagues.

Based on the BBL’s success and the increases seen in the new media rights for the Australian Football League (AFL) and National Rugby League(NRL), Cricket Australia will want to see an increase in the bidding for its rights.

This is particularly relevant if Cricket Australia still relies as heavily on these rights as in 2012, when it said the rights accounted for 60%-80% of the total annual income.

But can the media rights continue to increase with the current unstable media landscape?

The current media landscape

According to Arnhem Investment Management, the era of advertising-supported premium sport on Australian television is “drawing to a close”.

The free-to-air (FTA) broadcasters are also currently requesting that the government reduce license fees and reconsider plans to further restrict gambling ads during the broadcast of sports.

Ten has said it expects its revenue to be “above the 1.2% increase” it outlined in February this year. Yet it will still need to undertake a “significant focus” on a corporate cost-cutting program and profitability as a priority.

New stakeholders

With FTA broadcasters under financial pressures, any increase in new rights will require new stakeholders.

Foxtel currently shows international cricket matches played overseas, but does not have local coverage rights. If it could gain local cricket rights, this would further strengthen Foxtel’s sports offering of AFL, NRL, A-league, V8 Supercars, and many international sports.

Australia’s anti-siphoning regulation could prevent Foxtel completely dominating the cricket media rights. But this list is expected to be trimmed further by the government this year, furthering opening up the sports media battleground for pay television in future rights deals.

The future for digital rights

Digital rights will also be a major consideration with the new cricket media rights. While most would be looking at Telstra and Optus, there have been new players in this area who may also wish to place a bid.

Currently Cricket Australia has the Cricket Australia Live app which allows users to pay a subscription (A$30 per year or A$5.99 a day) to gain access to live streaming of games, but the new rights could also see this change.

Optus may continue its affiliation with cricket. It recently become the official mobile media partner of Cricket Australia, and principal sponsor of the Melbourne Stars Big Bash League team. Customers can access cricket content via the Optus Sports app, which also includes Optus’ recently acquired English Premier League.

Twitter has had success with broadcasting the US National Football League (NFL) and the Melbourne cup last year. This year it signed a two-year deal with the US National Lacrosse League. Twitter may consider its interest in a global sport like cricket.

Amazon, which recently launched its Prime Video service in Australia, could also be a contender. This year Amazon won the rights for NFL Thursday night matches. It paid US$50 million for ten games, five times the price paid by Twitter last year. Amazon may look at the cricket as another potential global sport to add to its catalogue.

Another consideration is if Nine or Ten were to obtain the digital rights and use the free and subscription approach that the Seven Network used as part of their Rio Games coverage last year.

The impact on the viewing experience

Can you “slice and dice” too much? This is a question being asked in the US by CBS chief executive Les Moonves with regard to the NFL.

Adding another stakeholder to cricket will impact the viewers’ experience. This year the new AFL media rights created some frustration linked with the way the rights had been negotiated, particularly the digital rights.

Telstra, the digital rights holder, is restricted by its agreement to limit live match videos to a 7-inch screen size. Highlights and replays are available in full-screen size 12 hours after the match ends. (Foxtel, meanwhile, can stream the games full-screen.)

This change has outraged some fans who paid the A$89 subscription fee for the AFL Live app. Because of the screen size restrictions, Telstra users with a large phone or tablet have a large amount of black space on their screen.

Some Australians are being creative in working around the restrictions.

Media coverage and participation

The media rights for sport can be looked at far more broadly than solely the coverage of the game itself.

In the United Kingdom there has been ongoing debate associated with cricket’s coverage. Since the sport moved to pay-TV, there has been a decline in participation levels, which many argued is primarily due to the game no longer being broadcast free to air.

Reports of a Sport England Active People survey show a 32% drop in participation levels in people aged over 16 since coverage of cricket moved to satellite and cable TV.

There are now steps being taken to introduce a new Twenty20 tournament in the UK, built around the success of the Indian Premier League and Australia’s BBL, which had some games live broadcast in the UK during the last season.

This is an interesting case study for Cricket Australia, which only last year announced cricket as “No 1 as the current top participation sport in Australia”.

Any changes to the rights that impact the percentage of Australians with access to the coverage, could also see a decline in participation based on the UK experience.

https://mumbrella.com.au/chasing-audience-cricket-free-air-tv-442296

This puts the soccer in good stead. F all FTA money and the league is going gangbusters. Grassroots can and does pretty much support itself and is growing every year. 

Scarp the salary floor.... and roof while youre at it and lets get things going. 

Everyone trying to justify FFA taking money to go to grassroots is wrong. Thats the professional leagues money.

Cricket, NRL and AFL will all suffer in the future when they start to make players pay more to play. Football already does it and shouldnt change. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

^^^^^

Thats one hell of a good article and interesting it seems to imply at the end FFA are smarter than the AFL / NRL... I don't know if thats right ... but it is a very good read.

Some of the links in the article are also worth reading.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Midfielder
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Tbh, the model I can see happening in the future is Foxtel buying all the rights to live sports and then portioning out a few games a week to FTA/Streaming. I think the days of FTA networks dominating the sport rights negotiations are coming to a close, simply because they will see more value in producing another bloody renovation or cooking show.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Midfielder - 3 May 2017 11:45 PM
^^^^^

Thats one hell of a good article and interesting it seems to imply at the end FFA are smarter than the AFL / NRL... I don't know if thats right ... but it is a very good read.

Some of the links in the article are also worth reading.

I'll give you a tip.. the FFA are not smarter than the AFL.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 4 May 2017 9:36 AM

I think Midfielder is suggesting that the AFL may have backed the wrong horse in accepting a $2.5 billion TV deal which includes substantial FTA coverage.

In the meantime, the FFA is free as a bird, ready to latch onto digital technology which will take it into the 21st century, free of the noose of a dieing industry.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

One thing that will be interesting is changes to gambling laws and any caveats in FTA agreements re: future ad revenue 

Changes to gambling placement will have a major effect on FTA sport value. The value of those AFL rights will weaken, which is obviously why McLachlan is mounting ludicrous arguements for gambling ads on TV. 
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

tsf - 4 May 2017 9:50 AM
One thing that will be interesting is changes to gambling laws and any caveats in FTA agreements re: future ad revenue 

Changes to gambling placement will have a major effect on FTA sport value. The value of those AFL rights will weaken, which is obviously why McLachlan is mounting ludicrous arguements for gambling ads on TV. 

If that happens, the NRL will feel it much more.  I went on the NRL website the other day and could not believe how much gambling advertising there is.

I checked the fixture, and the amount of odds and CLICK HERE! was unbelievable.  Game day is even worse. All NRL clubs are completely dependent on pokies too.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Pip & Footballer

My comment pertaining to Football and the AFL was related to what the article said not my personal opinion ..

Also I through the posters comments copied below were part of the article, when they are not so my bad..

I quote from the article at the end of the article.

This puts the soccer in good stead. F all FTA money and the league is going gangbusters. Grassroots can and does pretty much support itself and is growing every year. 

Scarp the salary floor.... and roof while youre at it and lets get things going. 

Everyone trying to justify FFA taking money to go to grassroots is wrong. Thats the professional leagues money.

Cricket, NRL and AFL will all suffer in the future when they start to make players pay more to play. Football already does it and shouldnt change. ""
Edited
7 Years Ago by Midfielder
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Footballer - 4 May 2017 9:56 AM

If that happens, the NRL will feel it much more.  I went on the NRL website the other day and could not believe how much gambling advertising there is.

I checked the fixture, and the amount of odds and CLICK HERE! was unbelievable.  Game day is even worse. All NRL clubs are completely dependent on pokies too.

Wuth TV maybe yes, but many AFL clubs also get many $ from pokies. It basically keeps many above water. For example carlton get 30% of their revenue from them. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by tsf
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

tsf - 4 May 2017 10:19 AM
Footballer - 4 May 2017 9:56 AM

Wuth TV maybe yes, but many AFL clubs also get many $ from pokies. It basically keeps many above water. For example carlton get 30% of their revenue from them. 

Both the NRL & AFL enjoy large revenue streams from gambling both ads and by way of club and pub pokie revenue. Further their TV deals are heavily supported by gambling ads. Cricket also enjoys via various things gambling support.

If the government ever gets serious and can take the heat from 7, 9, 10, Fox and News trying to protect their commercial products changes to gambling advertising and pokie regulation at sites would require significant adjustments ...
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Midfielder - 4 May 2017 10:16 AM
Pip & Footballer

My comment pertaining to Football and the AFL was related to what the article said not my personal opinion ..

Also I through the posters comments copied below were part of the article, when they are not so my bad..

Cricket, NRL and AFL will all suffer in the future when they start to make players pay more to play. Football already does it and shouldnt change. ""

I'm pretty sure those quotes are not from the article. They look like scott21's personal comment BELOW the article.

And suggesting the FFA is smarter than the AFL/NRL is pretty funny. The FFA are so smart theyre actually avoiding getting a FTA deal at all.  Take that dying FTA platform!
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Footballer - 4 May 2017 11:19 AM

I'm pretty sure those quotes are not from the article. They look like scott21's personal comment BELOW the article.

And suggesting the FFA is smarter than the AFL/NRL is pretty funny. The FFA are so smart theyre actually avoiding getting a FTA deal at all.  Take that dying FTA platform!

Thats what I said when I said my bad.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

TOTALLY OUT OF LEFT FIELD AND MAYBE TOTALLY MAD AND ARGUABLY A CRAZY QUESTION.

Read something today about league.

Then through .... consider this ...

Each of the ten clubs puts in an additional 3.5 million dollars into an investment company called for want of a better word """FOOTBALL""" so thats 35 million.

FFA borrow 35 million to also invest in """ Football""

This means the investment vehicle "FOOTBALL"" has 70 million dollars.

Football buys between 55 & 70 % of channel 10.

Ten then buy the rights to Football for say 15 million per year ..

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Midfielder - 4 May 2017 12:33 PM
Footballer - 4 May 2017 11:19 AM

Thats what I said when I said my bad.

No probs, I got that first time.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Midfielder - 4 May 2017 12:39 PM

Each of the ten clubs puts in an additional 3.5 million dollars into an investment company called for want of a better word """FOOTBALL""" so thats 35 million.

The owners have already lost massive money over the past 12 years, it's unlikely they'll put $5 mill each into something that is destined to lose more money (actually, even more likely to lose money than just owning an A-League club).
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

This. Is. Brilliant. 

A code debt financing the purchase of a commercial tv network that is heamoraging money and has written down its value by hundreds of millions in each of the last few years....and then paying itself $15M cheeky ones

What could possibly go wrong? 

domglory
domglory
Fan
Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)Fan (59 reputation)

azzaMVFC - 4 May 2017 9:36 AM

Wouldent say the afl are smart they have the dollars  and a big head start nothing to do with smart and a lot of fools following the seagulls chasing a chip all day lol.

Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro

Um.

We're being punk'd, yes?
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Footballer - 4 May 2017 3:00 PM

Um.

We're being punk'd, yes?

drunk'd

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)

Come to think of It I am Glad the FFA isn't reliant on Gambling revenue

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

This is one of my points when I wrote football is in good stead. 

----------------------------------
FFA dont rely on gambling money but the other codes do. FFA is not smarter but are in a position to be fortunate that this hasnt effected them. At the same time if football was the number 1 sport it would have so.....

AFL womens league will cost the AFL because it gets ratings. I assume FTA will not pay more for this. More teams will come in and demand higher wages. Football is in the shadows plus the players can go to US and Europe to play professionally.

Players arent funded from the top like the other codes which is good imo because eventually that will be the case for them also. Or at least a significant rise. We keep hearing "people are choosing Auskick over football" yet footballs numbers increase every year. 

NRL will also have higher costs in the future. I dont think it will be as successful on tv as AFLW. It may be popular with girls though because they may be able to go to the olympics with rugby 7s

If AFLX :) ever gets off the ground its just going to be e higher cost. 

Professional women's rugby league competition on its way 'quite soon‘Strategic approach’ to open pathways for young Australian players Women’s game secures first major sponsorship deal to support girls
The Australian Jillaroos
Rugby league is also playing catch-up with a number of other sports such as AFL football but a new sponsorship deal has raised hope of a professional competition. Photograph: Mark Kolbe/Getty Image

NSWRL’s chief executive says a professional women’s rugby league competition will come to fruition soon. David Trodden said rugby league is taking a “strategic approach” in ensuring players from the age of six can continue right through to open age and professional competitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/12/professional-womens-rugby-league-competition-on-its-way-quite-soon

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

An A-League club costs FFA $2.6 miillion plus ($10 million for refs, travel / 10) so ca $3.6 million. How much does a BBL, AFL or NRL club cost CA AFL or NRL?
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)Hardcore Fan (278 reputation)

scott21 - 4 May 2017 3:40 PM
An A-League club costs FFA $2.6 miillion plus ($10 million for refs, travel / 10) so ca $3.6 million. How much does a BBL, AFL or NRL club cost CA AFL or NRL?

AFL about 12 to 13 on average and NRL about 10. Both (AFL this year, NRL next) to increase significantly on the back of new tv rights deals

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=2946
https://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2017/NRL-Annual-Report-2016.pdf

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Australian Football dude - 4 May 2017 3:56 PM
scott21 - 4 May 2017 3:40 PM

AFL about 12 to 13 on average and NRL about 10. Both (AFL this year, NRL next) to increase significantly on the back of new tv rights deals

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=2946
https://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2017/NRL-Annual-Report-2016.pdf

But they pay refs, travel etc on top of that?

Id imagine AFL admin costs more than FFA, at least I hope it does. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Australian Football dude
Australian Football dude
Hardcore Fan

scott21 - 4 May 2017 4:01 PM

By 10s of millions I would suggest
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

I bet it's pretty close, certainly if you compare Gallop's wage to his AFL counterpart.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

paladisious - 4 May 2017 5:20 PM

I bet it's pretty close, certainly if you compare Gallop's wage to his AFL counterpart.

But surely they have many more staff and advertising? bigger squads to travel, higher ref costs due to more matches etc.

If we say a mild estimate 30 mil plus 13 mil x 18 teams we are at 264 million per season while FFA pay 36 atm

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)

Pip & Footballer

sorry there I want to keep the salary cap. See you wan this league to end up like the EPL.

You really want  a repeat of Clive Palmers Gold coast united don't you? Sure let that team spend 20 million dollars, what happens if an A-league side runs out of money and goes into administration, what happens then? Oh that's right, as long as it isn't your money your spending.

World Class

Razor Ramon - 4 May 2017 5:41 PM

what happens if an A-league side runs out of money and goes into administration, what happens then? 

deducting 15 points usually fixes it.  

If you have relegation of course

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search