Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer team

Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer...

Author
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
libel - 7 May 2017 3:54 PM
Cheap tix would be a key differentiator, if their cost structure permits. Otherwise, why would people bother with the transport hassle and second rate facilities.

Cheaper tickets obviously would help but that would not be the main decider for new fans, most would just want to support another team other than the roar, a smaller stadium also brings a better atmosphere as well, it is about a 15-20 min walk from the nearest train station so not too bad but I can see it may put some people off.

Sure Suncorp has nice facilitates and is easy enough to get there by train but that has never been a reason why I would go and watch them. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Wrong threadddddddd

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by paulbagzFC
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

scott21 - 7 May 2017 3:47 PM
@waz I would consider Toowong Indooroopilly Kenmore etc west, all north of the river.The river is a natural divide. By that definition City are north and Brisbane CBD is north and Lions are south.The FCBC guy mentioned it at their launch. It is in my opinion smart. A north/northern Brisbane team can also focus on/claim Sunshine Coast if they don't get a team in a div 2 etc.We catn split the city into city, north, south, east & west when talking about AL. It would have to be north south if anything. The line is the river.

This is the problem with using the river as a north south divide. South Bank, West End, etc are all north of Kenmore and are part of the city whereas Kenmore is south of the city, yet you'd call Kenmore north and SB/WE south. The geography doesn't match with people's actual experiences.

No team playing out of Suncorp or Ballymore is going to get people from the Sunny Coast to call them their team. Some might come to the odd game because they like football but that's it, it's too far away.

I think the reason we disagree on this is that, if what you've said is generalisable, people on the southside don't interact with the city as much, so to them Brisbane and northside are all just one thing, whereas for northsiders going into the city is pretty common and most of us have city friends. That creates a sense of familiarity with the city but also highlights the differences between home and Brisbane, which is why the idea of a team based in the city calling itself a 'northside team' rankles so much.
Edited
7 Years Ago by maxxie
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ maxxie

I think your reply is a perfect explanation of the potential problems 👍
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

If it's such a divide then perhaps Dolphins should try to enter a team.

Moreton Bay Dolphins lol or Dolphins FC
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

scott21 - 7 May 2017 6:36 PM
If it's such a divide then perhaps Dolphins should try to enter a team.Moreton Bay Dolphins lol or Dolphins FC

Would honestly support Moreton Bay United if they entered a team in the A-league/2nd division. 

Speaking of the Dolphins, a couple of years ago they were making noises about joining the NRL but said they'd play their games at Suncorp. No-one was having it. You can't say you're a north-side team and play in the city. 
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
MrBrisbane - 7 May 2017 4:13 PM
libel - 7 May 2017 3:54 PM

Cheaper tickets obviously would help but that would not be the main decider for new fans, most would just want to support another team other than the roar, a smaller stadium also brings a better atmosphere as well, it is about a 15-20 min walk from the nearest train station so not too bad but I can see it may put some people off.

Sure Suncorp has nice facilitates and is easy enough to get there by train but that has never been a reason why I would go and watch them. 

But there is no untapped market in Brisbane just wanting to support a "not Roar" team most other things being equal. You would just end up with an even smaller bunch of tryhards than Heart.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Blues' 'self-inflicted wound'

Bristol City v Birmingham (12:00 BST)

Richard Wilford

BBC WM

"You can't really view Birmingham City's late relegation scrap as anything other than a self-inflicted wound.

"When new owners Trillion Trophy Asia unexpectedly dispensed with the services of manager Gary Rowett in December, the club were flirting with the play-offs and there were few signs of danger.

"Gianfranco Zola arrived for an ill-fated four months at St Andrew's. Ultimately it proved foolhardy as he managed only two wins in 22 league games.

"Zola's resignation gave Harry Redknapp, Steve Cotterill and Paul Groves three games to save the club's Championship status. That may have been just enough. The victory over Huddersfield in the final home game, playing most of the match with 10 men, was the stuff of real togetherness, spirit and mettle. But it should never have come to this."

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

libel - 7 May 2017 8:55 PM
MrBrisbane - 7 May 2017 4:13 PM

But there is no untapped market in Brisbane just wanting to support a "not Roar" team most other things being equal. You would just end up with an even smaller bunch of tryhards than Heart.

I think there is plenty of people out there that would support a new team in Brisbane, its not like Roar have done a wonderful job off the field. The difference between Heart and Brisbane City is they already have a history behind him, already have their own ground, clubhouse etc

How much of crowd are we really expecting from any new team that comes in anyway? If they can average between 6-8k in the first season I think that would be fine, its not like some of the teams already in are pulling decent crowds anyway. With the cheaper rent at Balleymore they probably wouldn't even need that much to break even anyway, compared to Suncorp which is a plus.

Not sure why you are labelling fans as tryhards?

Edited
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I think even 6-8k is going to be a stretch, unless they can make themselves a real no frills, community club and price tickets accordingly. They are no South Melbourne.

Mr B
Mr B
Legend

libel - 7 May 2017 9:22 PM
I think even 6-8k is going to be a stretch, unless they can make themselves a real no frills, community club and price tickets accordingly. They are no South Melbourne.

All a guessing game at the end of the day, plus they are just one of many potential teams that could get the nod at a time we still don't really know anyway. I still think any new team coming in will get low crowds, but if they can break even or even make a profit they should be welcomed like South Melbourne. 

Edited
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

maxxie - 7 May 2017 6:45 PM
scott21 - 7 May 2017 6:36 PM

Would honestly support Moreton Bay United if they entered a team in the A-league/2nd division. 

Speaking of the Dolphins, a couple of years ago they were making noises about joining the NRL but said they'd play their games at Suncorp. No-one was having it. You can't say you're a north-side team and play in the city. 

You are from Redcliffe and would support Dolphins if they went into football I assume, but would MB accept it? or is it too Redcliffe?

There was the article below and I have been posting about Toronto in the pro rel thread. Dolphins imo should look at joining the Super League. Bombers will most likely be the next Brisbane team.... whenever that happens. I would prefer Souths Logan but thats not going to happen and they could be a southern team playing at Suncorp. 

I dont think people would support Dolphins outside of locals but in Queensland people would watch it on tv and they could organize their own tv deal. 

Fulham FC started todays London Broncos. I dont see why Dolphins couldnt do the same thing. May have to create 2 new teams so Redcliffe District Rugby League Football Club still play in the Queensland comp and have varied names and logo for Super League and A-League due to ip issues in Australia. I would love to see such ambition. 

Super League: English rugby league could expand to Australia, John Kear

Wigan Warriors
Wigan Warriors beat Australian Grand Final winners Cronulla Sharks 22-6 on Sunday

English rugby league should look to expand to Australia, according to Wakefield director of rugby John Kear.

Super League sides impressed in the weekend's World Club Series against NRL sides, with Warrington claiming victory against Brisbane and Wigan beating Cronulla in the World Club Challenge.

Canada's Toronto Wolfpack will play in the English third tier this season.

"I think we can globalise the game commercially and competitively," Kear told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It is feasible and it does make sense. I'm a big supporter of the Toronto experiment and I'm sure that if that's successful then you could look to expand the game to other cities in North America.

"Perth or a team from Papua New Guinea or Fiji could get involved in our competitions."

At present the vast majority of the 16 NRL teams are on Australia's east coast with other teams in Melbourne and Canberra, plus the New Zealand Warriors.

Kear believes the mentality of the NRL could lead to clubs on Australia's west coast, such as Perth, being interested in competing in an English competition.

"If the NRL have any sense then they would look to support it. The sport is massive in Australia and generates a huge amount of revenue," he added.

"I'm certain we could develop Super League there and the NRL should welcome it and look to assist us because the bigger the game is the better it is."

'The logistics are not a problem'

Sydney Morning Herald journalist Steve Mascord said Super League sides should start "standing up for themselves" against the NRL.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "Five years ago if someone had asked you what was more likely, a team in the British competition in Toronto or in Perth then you would have said Perth.

"Domestically the sport is hemmed in this country and the only way for it to get beyond that wall in this country is to go outside of it.

"Why not start the Super League season in Australia? It's been discussed and it's a genuine possibility.

"It's time for the game in the northern hemisphere to tap into the money that is in the sport in Australia."

He added: "Don't talk to me about the logistical problem. In the Super 14 rugby union competition the transit time from Dunedin to Pretoria is the same as getting from Australia to England.

"It can happen all year round and the benefits to the game in terms of sponsorship and broadcasting would be enormous."

Rugby league needs to be 'forward thinking'

Jon Wilkin
Jon Wilkin started his professional career in 2002

St Helens captain Jon Wilkin believes that English rugby league is missing out by not having a team in either Manchester or Liverpool.

The former England international thinks Salford Red Devils should look to move to Manchester from their current base in the AJ Bell stadium in Eccles.

"Sentimentally Salford are attached to where they're from but you can not let history be the anchor that drags you under," the 32-year-old said.

"Salford need a bigger fanbase and I think they need to engage with fans in Manchester city centre. There is an opportunity there.

"Having Manchester and Liverpool as hubs for the game has to be a focus for the sport.

"We need a strategy and we need to get to know big business better. I think the sport has been treading water for a while now."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/39039979

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
maxxie
maxxie
Pro

@scott21 I don't think Caboolture and the various Pine Rivers suburbs would support a team called Redcliffe, whether it be in football or rugby league, unless they loved the game and wanted to see it closer than Brisbane. You'd have to call the team Moreton Bay (I think Moreton Bay United is appropriate considering you'd be uniting Cabo, Pine and Redcliffe around a common team).

As for Super League, I think if the Dolphins had a shot at professional league on TV they'd jump at it. They're an pretty ambitious lot. And you're right, Queenslanders would definitely watch it, seeing a QLD team in English super league is pretty fucking interesting and we'd want to believe that a QLD team not even accepted into the NRL could beat the poms. I don't watch much league anymore since there's so much football is on TV but I'd watch the Dolphins if they were playing against English teams.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

maxxie - 8 May 2017 12:18 AM
@scott21 I don't think Caboolture and the various Pine Rivers suburbs would support a team called Redcliffe, whether it be in football or rugby league, unless they loved the game and wanted to see it closer than Brisbane. You'd have to call the team Moreton Bay (I think Moreton Bay United is appropriate considering you'd be uniting Cabo, Pine and Redcliffe around a common team).

As for Super League, I think if the Dolphins had a shot at professional league on TV they'd jump at it. They're an pretty ambitious lot. And you're right, Queenslanders would definitely watch it, seeing a QLD team in English super league is pretty fucking interesting and we'd want to believe that a QLD team not even accepted into the NRL could beat the poms. I don't watch much league anymore since there's so much football is on TV but I'd watch the Dolphins if they were playing against English teams.

Ïd go to games just for the (anti English) racism. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Rugby League in Brisbane is a good comparison - the broncos have become so dominant that the NRL have abandoned a second team for the city. Kinda SFCs wet-dream really. In a limited supply of sports fans and sponsorship the NRL figured either Broncos would suffer or the second team would struggle badly and possibly fail. So the status quo lives on - the suspicion is that's why Ipswich are keen on the A League, get a stadium with tenants up then hope for an NRL team (the suspicion is the same with Tasmania - the end game is actually an AFL team not an A keague team)
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

MrBrisbane - 7 May 2017 9:11 PM
libel - 7 May 2017 8:55 PM

I think there is plenty of people out there that would support a new team in Brisbane, its not like Roar have done a wonderful job off the field. The difference between Heart and Brisbane City is they already have a history behind him, already have their own ground, clubhouse etc

How much of crowd are we really expecting from any new team that comes in anyway? If they can average between 6-8k in the first season I think that would be fine, its not like some of the teams already in are pulling decent crowds anyway. With the cheaper rent at Balleymore they probably wouldn't even need that much to break even anyway, compared to Suncorp which is a plus.

Not sure why you are labelling fans as tryhards?

You have about 300 former GCU fans who would support 'not the roar' "laugh".

Honestly though, for a 2nd team to come in, you really need to tap the growth area i.e. Springfield. Lot's of families etc. Same old jargon but it does hold true.

World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Waz - 7 May 2017 4:06 PM
 If FCBC want to differentiate from Roar they need to do it on something else not geographically/ I'd start with 60 years of heritage and go from there.

Easy

Start by earning their place, instead of just buying it.  Will then have a marked point of difference

World Class

Is this the bid Miron was banging on about ?

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ ToldyaSo

Under the current structure you can't "earn your place" but I agree, that would be the best way of doing it if it were possible. That won't change until Gallops departed for the ARU though ...
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Waz - 8 May 2017 6:57 AM
Rugby League in Brisbane is a good comparison - the broncos have become so dominant that the NRL have abandoned a second team for the city. Kinda SFCs wet-dream really. In a limited supply of sports fans and sponsorship the NRL figured either Broncos would suffer or the second team would struggle badly and possibly fail. So the status quo lives on - the suspicion is that's why Ipswich are keen on the A League, get a stadium with tenants up then hope for an NRL team (the suspicion is the same with Tasmania - the end game is actually an AFL team not an A keague team)

Its News Corps fault. The same newscorp that owns the Sunday and Courier Mails, 68% of the Broncos, Fox Sports and Big League magazine.

They cant own 2 clubs in the same city. 

Brisbane is big enough for 2 NRL teams. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

& the obligatory piss take

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Waz - 8 May 2017 11:08 AM
@ ToldyaSo Under the current structure you can't "earn your place" but I agree, that would be the best way of doing it if it were possible. That won't change until Gallops departed for the ARU though ...

90% of the discussions here correctly relate to the importance and appropriateness of an area to draw interest and attendances to games. P&R will throw this critical criteria right out the window if the promoted team doesn't come from such area.

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

There's no clear divide or strong point of differentiation in Brisbane like there is in Melbourne or Sydney. Perhaps Logan somewhat but even then the constituents are hardly ones with a track record of attending matches or having a keen interest in Australian football. Population is only about 370,000 in a massive area of 996 square kilometres which is hardly advantageous.

The top countries of birth (outside Australia) for people living in Logan include (in order from highest):

• New Zealand
                • England
                • Philippines
                • South Africa
                • Samoa
                • Scotland
                • Fiji
                • India
                • Germany
                • Papua New Guinea
                • Netherlands
                • China

I fear for any new team coming into Brisbane just for the sake of having a derby unless it is in a football growth area which is hard to pin point.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
        7 Years Ago by paulc
        aussie scott21
        aussie scott21
        Legend

That's your problem Paul. No vision like the dinosaurs.

"Logan City (map) is located in South East Queensland, situated between the City of Brisbane to the north and Gold Coast to the south. Logan City - the gateway to Queensland and the Asia Pacific region - covers over 950 square kilometres and has a population of just over 300,000 or 6.4% of Queensland's population. Looking ahead to the next 20 years, Logan City will continue to be one of the fastest growing cities in Queensland. The population is expected to increase by up to 200,000 within the next 20 years and Logan's objective is to create at least 53,000 jobs to support this population growth."

http://www.economicprofile.com.au/logancity

"The site in the Norwell Valley would become Australia’s largest masterplanned city, triple the land size of Ipswich’s Greater Springfield which is projected to house 105,000 people by 2030."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/national/northern-gold-coast-cane-fields-on-market-to-build-vast-new-city-and-set-land-sale-record/news-story/c88beb21aa15a980f3e1c86cd88bf217

Projections for Logan and (new) North Gold Coast are probably 700k by 2037. But we should wait. Consolidate.

The truth is Logan has only really had one team. Scorpions... and they died. Souths Logan Magpies play all their games at West End.

So no-one really knows how it would go. Growing up there and not moving as an adult I would assume a football team in a national comp would be successful.
        Edited
        7 Years Ago by scott21
        paulc
        paulc
        Legend

Like I said the constituents are hardly those that will support Australian football. It's a rugby league area.

In a resort somewhere

aussie scott21
        aussie scott21
        Legend

Queensland is a rugby league area.
        aussie scott21
        aussie scott21
        Legend

"The council, which has the nation’s fourth largest refugee intake, is expected to place a request with a federal parliamentary committee today.

Logan mayor Luke Smith said funding was needed for employment services, language courses, driving schools and counselling.

“We are the most culturally diverse city in Australia, we love that,” he said."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/logan-city-council-calls-on-federal-government-to-help-fund-refugee-resettlement-services/news-story/6c8bc5171cf9a1f7de3effc76ea23b53

The demographic will change in the future.
        paulbagzFC
        paulbagzFC
        Legend
        Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

scott21 - 12 May 2017 10:41 PM
        & the obligatory piss take

If you're gonna claim the 65 year heritage, just call yourselves Brisbane City and hand dat IP up to the FFA.

Otherwise fuck off you're established in 2017.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

TheSelectFew
        TheSelectFew
        Legend
        Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 13 May 2017 7:25 AM
        scott21 - 12 May 2017 10:41 PM

If you're gonna claim the 65 year heritage, just call yourselves Brisbane City and hand dat IP up to the FFA.

Otherwise fuck off you're established in 2017.

-PB

Comparable to that Southern Cross bullshit South Melbourne tried to push. Selling your soul to be part of Frankys wet dream is utterly shameful and quite frankly embarrassing.

bigblueman
        bigblueman
        Fan
        Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)Fan (91 reputation)

Waz - 8 May 2017 6:57 AM

Ye, na. Almost all SFC fans are very very glad we have WSW now, we are MUCH better as a club since 2012 as a result of their entry. Might have been tough going at times, but the rivalry has driven us far beyond the club we were and would be were it still a 1-club city. I think the same would occur in Brisbane, it appears alot of disenfranchised fans have left Roar, and there is a need to engage the 60% of the 50,000 you get to your Grand Finals on a more regular basis.

Its not a matter of going in then out
        - Mike Charlesworth, 14/11/2016

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search