The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
highkick05 - 17 Aug 2018 5:19 PM
We better have a third option for the striker position come NT games. Who will that be ?

Maclaren #1
Juric #2 (however, has so many problems with injury, we really need a better backup striker)
#3    ?

Should be Giannou or Mebrahtu
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Why? They’re bad players
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Neanderthal - 22 Aug 2018 9:35 PM
Why? They’re bad players

Both are at better leagues and substantially better clubs than Mclaren and both fit the single strikers spot better than jmac
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Decentric - 19 Aug 2018 10:28 AM
highkick05 - 18 Aug 2018 1:54 AM

There is always room for improvement for any player.

Risdon was much improved and did a decent job. According to BVM he improved more than any other player under his tutelage.

When did bvm say that decentric?

His decision making still sucks tho. So many times he just put the final ball in without really looking when a bit of composure to cut inside his man and tee it up to the penalty spot for one of our advancing mids would have been the best. 
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Aussie A league strikers... still young...
Pretty grim.

Perth-None really
Adelaide-Blackwood(97), Stamateopolous(99)
Melbourne-Athiu(92)
Melbourne City-None really
Sydney-Lokolingoy(97)
Western Sydney-Scott(97), Majok(98), Roberts(01)
Central Coast-Macdoanld(96), Murray(95)
Newcastle-Petratos(98)
Brisbane-Taggart(93), Dagostino(98)
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

chondro - 22 Aug 2018 10:05 PM
Aussie A league strikers... still young...Pretty grim.Perth-None reallyAdelaide-Blackwood(97), Stamateopolous(99)Melbourne-Athiu(92)Melbourne City-None reallySydney-Lokolingoy(97)Western Sydney-Scott(97), Majok(98), Roberts(01)Central Coast-Macdoanld(96), Murray(95)Newcastle-Petratos(98)Brisbane-Taggart(93), Dagostino(98)

Lol Abysmal 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

there is big wraps on the city's Iannucci, if anyone's going to produce one its probably city.
Edited
6 Years Ago by jas88
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Kids on scholarship. Hard to see him getting any minutes. Still so young, only 17.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Both are at better leagues and substantially better clubs than Mclaren and both fit the single strikers spot better than jmac

I am J Mac’s biggest critic. Never rated him as anything more than a one dimensional counter attack goal poacher. But that doesn’t make Giannou or Mebratu any good either.
You’re probably better off judging players on their performances rather than lazily using their clubs ELO ranking (which they might never even play for).
I prefer Nabbout and Juric until we produce something better.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Was just thinking, with Jedinak and Milligan still playing at high levels at their relative seniority, I’d like to see them stick with the national team for the Asian Cup.

If we keep them as the only 2 elder statesmen and everyone else is at an age young enough for Qatar I reckon that’s the best scenario.

Thoughts?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Bowden - 23 Aug 2018 11:21 AM
Was just thinking, with Jedinak and Milligan still playing at high levels at their relative seniority, I’d like to see them stick with the national team for the Asian Cup.If we keep them as the only 2 elder statesmen and everyone else is at an age young enough for Qatar I reckon that’s the best scenario.Thoughts?

If they're doing well then keep them around to guide the younger players. Their versatility is our benefit. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

September international break will see us in camp in Antalya. Maybe we can play a local side. One advantage is we should invite around 30 players into the camp. No news on October but it's clear our first game under Arnold in Australia will be against SK. 
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Bowden - 23 Aug 2018 11:21 AM
Was just thinking, with Jedinak and Milligan still playing at high levels at their relative seniority, I’d like to see them stick with the national team for the Asian Cup.If we keep them as the only 2 elder statesmen and everyone else is at an age young enough for Qatar I reckon that’s the best scenario.Thoughts?

29yo plus at Asian Cup from World Cup 23  - all will be 32 plus by the 2022 World Cup
Cahill - 39 (ret)
Jones - 36
Jedi - 34
Vukovic, Milligan - 33
Meredith, Kruse - 30
Jurman 29

GA is likely to move on at least 2 more by the Asian Cup and 1 or 2 more early in the initial group phase of next WC cycle - getting the balance right will be important.

Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Neanderthal - 23 Aug 2018 7:37 AM
I am J Mac’s biggest critic. Never rated him as anything more than a one dimensional counter attack goal poacher. But that doesn’t make Giannou or Mebratu any good either.You’re probably better off judging players on their performances rather than lazily using their clubs ELO ranking (which they might never even play for).I prefer Nabbout and Juric until we produce something better.

Giannou just started in AEK larnacas Europa league qualifer against sturm graz winning 5 nil. Both Larnaca and sturm graz and much bettercclubs currently than hibs. Mebrahtu has an excellent scoring record in a league much better than scotland and has been purchased by a very strong club in a position they are light in. The point I'm trying to make is why are we clamouring over McLaren so much when we have other strikers also doing well at higher levels
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Thought Giannou was good enough to persist with considering how light on we are in that section. His ability to hold and lay off to midfielders, as well as to draw fouls in good areas are surely worthwhile in a team with more midfield talent than anything else. 
Bowden. i thought Milligan had retired from international duty after the WC? I remember that that was the talk before the Peru game
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 23 Aug 2018 8:12 PM
Neanderthal - 23 Aug 2018 7:37 AM

Giannou just started in AEK larnacas Europa league qualifer against sturm graz winning 5 nil. Both Larnaca and sturm graz and much bettercclubs currently than hibs. Mebrahtu has an excellent scoring record in a league much better than scotland and has been purchased by a very strong club in a position they are light in. The point I'm trying to make is why are we clamouring over McLaren so much when we have other strikers also doing well at higher levels

I'm all for new strikers getting a go at National level, but I think you might be blowing Mebrahtu's horn a bit hard there. He wasn't ever that great in the A-League, he scored 10 from the end of the 16-17 season to the end of the 17-18 season. And now all of a sudden that he's moved he's become a top quality striker? 

I'd love to see him in the Socceroos but Maclaren has proven himself more.
thewitness
thewitness
Semi-Pro

https://au.eurosport.com/football/scotland-risk-losing-john-souttar-to-australia-craig-levein_sto6897970/story.shtml

Anyone know much about Hearts player John Souttar, who we have just discovered is eligible for the Socceroos. I guess that makes his brother eligible as well.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Cap him!
Ds98
Ds98
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

No Joke he is actually class
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

thewitness - 23 Aug 2018 9:04 PM
https://au.eurosport.com/football/scotland-risk-losing-john-souttar-to-australia-craig-levein_sto6897970/story.shtmlAnyone know much about Hearts player John Souttar, who we have just discovered is eligible for the Socceroos. I guess that makes his brother eligible as well.

Brother Harry is a 1.98cm red head. Gun loan player on Fifa from Stoke. Interesting to see both being eligible. 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Redcarded - 23 Aug 2018 8:31 PM
Thought Giannou was good enough to persist with considering how light on we are in that section. His ability to hold and lay off to midfielders, as well as to draw fouls in good areas are surely worthwhile in a team with more midfield talent than anything else. 
Bowden. i thought Milligan had retired from international duty after the WC? I remember that that was the talk before the Peru game

Yes I liked the look of Giannou too i think he has the most quality of any of our strikers
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

johnszasz - 23 Aug 2018 10:03 PM
thewitness - 23 Aug 2018 9:04 PM

Brother Harry is a 1.98cm red head. Gun loan player on Fifa from Stoke. Interesting to see both being eligible. 

Cap. Cap. And O'boyle from hibs, cap. The other Scotsman Burgess at S   - oops, I just ate my own poop...horpe, cap. Irish eligible oneill at Sydney cap. Sunsnar cap. That Croatian right back cap. The right back in serie B cap. Need to play in one of those shit Asian tournaments again I think it was the east Asia cup, or even the ASEAN cup just to cap guys like this as well as blood promising youngsters 
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro

Juric does that stuff better. Giannou just a slightly more mediocre version of Juric IMO.
James Reid
James Reid
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 24 Aug 2018 12:02 AM

Cap. Cap. And O'boyle from hibs, cap. The other Scotsman Burgess at S   - oops, I just ate my own poop...horpe, cap. Irish eligible oneill at Sydney cap. Sunsnar cap. That Croatian right back cap. The right back in serie B cap. Need to play in one of those shit Asian tournaments again I think it was the east Asia cup, or even the ASEAN cup just to cap guys like this as well as blood promising youngsters 

Susnjar has already been capped for Australia.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

i agree with this.  we really need to start a b team going to blood newbs.  i always thought even having a europe and asian team has its merits, just to give more players game time.

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

inala brah - 24 Aug 2018 10:06 AM

i agree with this.  we really need to start a b team going to blood newbs.  i always thought even having a europe and asian team has its merits, just to give more players game time.

Facts
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Bondi Bossa Nova Allstar - 24 Aug 2018 9:26 AM

Susnjar has already been capped for Australia.

Has he been locked in though ie in a competitive fixture?! I don't think so
James Reid
James Reid
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 24 Aug 2018 5:23 PM
Bondi Bossa Nova Allstar - 24 Aug 2018 9:26 AM

Has he been locked in though ie in a competitive fixture?! I don't think so

At his current age of 23, I think he was locked in when he played for us earlier in the year, against Norway (if my memory is correct). It is difficult to change your nationality in football after you turn 21, if you have already played for a Senior National Team, or if you first play for a national team after this age, even if it was only a friendly.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bondi Bossa Nova Allstar - 24 Aug 2018 8:45 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 24 Aug 2018 5:23 PM

At his current age of 23, I think he was locked in when he played for us earlier in the year, against Norway (if my memory is correct). It is difficult to change your nationality in football after you turn 21, if you have already played for a Senior National Team, or if you first play for a national team after this age, even if it was only a friendly.

Although we don't have him officially, I don't think he'd change now. Important is to cap him in a qualifier or Asian Cup math. Arzani is ours now after his appearance against France.
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro

That was a friendly. You are only locked in when it is a fifa comp or qualifier. Giannou played once for greece but because it was a friendly it didnt count but he is locked to us now because he played in some wc qualifiers
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search