2018/19 Shield Cricket

2018/19 Shield Cricket

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am baffled why Sangha has been slotted in at #8. Can not think of a worse way to give the kid confidence on his Shield debut.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

I am reading from the low second innings scores at the Gabba that this deck has been harder to bat on than the screaming greentop on the first day? That is puzzling. Perhaps our resident Qlder Mike could explain.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Defending champs smashed by 200+ runs.

Sweet revenge by the Tigers.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Congrats Copes on joining 300 FC wicket club. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/thumbs-up-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Someone has improved Jack Edwards odd trigger movement. His back foot does not go as far back as former Test capt Kim Hughes pointed out in the JLT Cup.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Jason Sangha just pulled out a Tendulkar like cover drive..technically perfect. This kid is a talent.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I am the lone ranger again here.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Debut FC century for one of britest batting prospects in the country..Josh philippe.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Vics hammer WA by an innings and some.

Pucovski 243 on debut.

Chris Tremain 9wkts

Josh Philippe 104.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Tigers v Bulls"
Jackson Bird (MOM) 10 wkts
Alex Doolan 115.
Matthew Wade 72*/51

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 11:14 AM
I am reading from the low second innings scores at the Gabba that this deck has been harder to bat on than the screaming greentop on the first day? That is puzzling. Perhaps our resident Qlder Mike could explain.

Rain, Rain, Rain. In 50 years I cannot recall wishing the rain would go away. The grounds here are saturated, and moving underfoot. Groundsmen can only prepare up to the first day. It fell perfectly for Bird, Bell, Rainbird and Rogers. They can move a ball around which is expected from Tasmanians. But the positive for Queensland is McSweeney's innings, to face 179 balls under difficult conditions is a great patient innings. Along with Josh Philippe, Matt Short and Will Pucovski, the batting from the juniors is looking promising. 

Read an interesting stat about Kurtis Patterson recently, 4 100's in last 90 innings last one being October 2016. But there is still a push by you southerners for his selection for higher honours. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 19 Oct 2018 2:16 PM
baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 11:14 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain. In 50 years I cannot recall wishing the rain would go away. The grounds here are saturated, and moving underfoot. Groundsmen can only prepare up to the first day. It fell perfectly for Bird, Bell, Rainbird and Rogers. They can move a ball around which is expected from Tasmanians. But the positive for Queensland is McSweeney's innings, to face 179 balls under difficult conditions is a great patient innings. Along with Josh Philippe, Matt Short and Will Pucovski, the batting from the juniors is looking promising. 

Read an interesting stat about Kurtis Patterson recently, 4 100's in last 90 innings last one being October 2016. But there is still a push by you southerners for his selection for higher honours. 

You know it is Baggers here Mike. Yes Patterson is running out of time to still be called the next big thing. He continues to have a problem converting 50/60/70s into centuries. CA has told him a Baggy Green evades him unless he does start converting.

Another kid that shows promise is Jack Edwards. But first he has to change his technique. Have you see it Mike.. the bizarre trigger movement he has? Kim Hughes was aghast when he saw it.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 2:39 PM

You know it is Baggers here Mike. Yes Patterson is running out of time to still be called the next big thing. He continues to have a problem converting 50/60/70s into centuries. CA has told him a Baggy Green evades him unless he does start converting.

Another kid that shows promise is Jack Edwards. But first he has to change his technique. Have you see it Mike.. the bizarre trigger movement he has? Kim Hughes was aghast when he saw it.

I asked you if you had ever seen as great a screaming greentop at the Gabba as on the first day..  and why it played better at the start than later.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

You're listening to Kim Hughes Baggers, Averaged 37 in tests and 24 in ODI's. His greatest moment was crying when deservedly sacked. Let the kid develop afterall S Smith walking across stumps is not in the coaching books and a quality fast bowler will find him out such as Rabada, but in general it works for Smith.  
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 1:06 PM
Jason Sangha just pulled out a Tendulkar like cover drive..technically perfect. This kid is a talent.

Did I read this right Baggers, you're comparing Sangha to Tendulkar. God you crack me up! 1st innings cleaned up by Sayers and 2nd innings pokes at an innocuous delivery by Mennie and gets caught behind, batting at 8 may be a bit high for him, Copeland did score 55 in the first innings. Sangha/Tendulkar LOL Baggers.
Edited
6 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 19 Oct 2018 2:52 PM
baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 1:06 PM

Did I read this right Baggers, you're comparing Sangha to Tendulkar. God you crack me up! 1st innings cleaned up by Sayers and 2nd innings pokes at an innocuous delivery by Sayers and gets caught behind, batting at 8 may be a bit high for him, Copeland did score 55 in the first innings. Sangha/Tendulkar LOL Baggers.

Sayers bowls few innocuous deliveries Mike. That was his five fer.
I am not comparing Sangha to Tendulkar. Where did I say that?  I said the cover drive was Tendulkar like. Meaning it actually reminded me of the way the little master played the cover drive. You obviously missed it. You forget Sangha has only just turned 19. He is ( I stand corrected )only the second youngest player behind Tendulkar to score a century against an English touring side. I have plenty of faith in the kid.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 19 Oct 2018 2:45 PM

You're listening to Kim Hughes Baggers, Averaged 37 in tests and 24 in ODI's. His greatest moment was crying when deservedly sacked. Let the kid develop afterall S Smith walking across stumps is not in the coaching books and a quality fast bowler will find him out such as Rabada, but in general it works for Smith.  

Have you seen Edwards trigger movement?  I dont want the kid to develop by learning bad habits.. Handscomb has been found out doing that. Edwards has developed this bizarre back foot movement from the plethora of limited overs cricket that our juniors have foisted on them. Hughes may not have the best average but there was nothing wrong with his technique that I can recall.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Sams what were you thinking? Hello.. this is red ball cricket not JLT?
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 3:24 PM
Sams what were you thinking? Hello.. this is red ball cricket not JLT?

Nifty did a good job.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Is there sufficient time to bowl out the Redbacks?

5 down now. C'mon Blues.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Time ran out for the Blues.. good captain's knock by Lehmann to ensure a draw.

Trent Copeland (MOM) 9 wkts. 64rns.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Shield Team of the Round:
Daniel Hughes
Alex Doolan
Will Pucovski
Jake Lehmann
Marcus Stoinis
Josh Philippe
Josh Inglis
Trent Copeland
Chadd Sayers
Chris Tremain
Jackson Bird.

Comments.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 8:26 PM
Daniel Hughes
Alex Doolan
Will Pucovski
Jake Lehmann
Marcus Stoinis
Josh Philippe
Josh Inglis
Trent Copeland
Chadd Sayers
Chris Tremain
Jackson Bird.

Comments.

Can't disagree with your side Baggers, except Gabe Bell for Sayers 5/42 by Bell against 6/151 by Sayers. Bell continuing his form from last year, and a great overall start to his first class career, 8 matches 36 wickets @18. Only 23 so he's still learning. Also Abbott's contribution with bat and ball along with Copeland was an impressive performance, it would have been a different outcome for NSW if it wasn't for those two.
Edited
6 Years Ago by MikeR
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 19 Oct 2018 2:58 PM
MikeR - 19 Oct 2018 2:52 PM

Sayers bowls few innocuous deliveries Mike. That was his five fer.
I am not comparing Sangha to Tendulkar. Where did I say that?  I said the cover drive was Tendulkar like. Meaning it actually reminded me of the way the little master played the cover drive. You obviously missed it. You forget Sangha has only just turned 19. He is ( I stand corrected )only the second youngest player behind Tendulkar to score a century against an English touring side. I have plenty of faith in the kid.

Sorry meant to write innocuous delivery by Mennie (not Sayers) and Mennie picked up Sangha.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 20 Oct 2018 7:10 AM

Can't disagree with your side Baggers, except Gabe Bell for Sayers 5/42 by Bell against 6/151 by Sayers. Bell continuing his form from last year, and a great overall start to his first class career, 8 matches 36 wickets @18. Only 23 so he's still learning. Also Abbott's contribution with bat and ball along with Copeland was an impressive performance, it would have been a different outcome for NSW if it wasn't for those two.

Yeh Sayers was surprisingly expensive. Still it is early season.  I also rate Bell. Abbott continues to be the great enigma. There is so much natural talent in the man but he has trouble harnessing it for consecutive matches. He really has not been the same player since the Hughes tragedy. Remember it was his ball that felled the little man.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Daniel Hughes
Alex Doolan
Will Pucovski
Jake Lehmann
Marcus Stoinis
Josh Philippe
Josh Inglis
Trent Copeland
Chadd Sayers
Chris Tremain
Jackson Bird.

Comments.

Will Pucovski's performance is all the more meritorious as he did it from first drop. The spot in the batting order that usually belongs to the side's best batsman.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 20 Oct 2018 3:02 PM

Will Pucovski's performance is all the more meritorious as he did it from first drop. The spot in the batting order that usually belongs to the side's best batsman.

One thing that is overlooked when looking at Pucovski's innings is the important role Matt Short played, and when you consider your side has 3 WA players consecutively in Stonis, Philippe and Inglis, a side comprehensively defeated, I would probably have Short replacing one of those 3. But that is the great thing currently a lot of talented youth appears to be coming through and they seem to be performing better at the longer form of the game.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

On a positive note for Qld, Matt Renshaw returned to grade cricket with 145, Joe Burns went berserk taking out his frustration of the first shield game with a mammoth 216 supported by McSweeney with 90 and Tom Healy (Ian's son) with 89.Unfortunately Charlie Hemphrey's poor form continued. Let's hope that with Renshaw and Labuschagne's return they continue with the development of McSweeney and replace Truloff and Hemphrey.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

MikeR - 22 Oct 2018 8:00 AM
On a positive note for Qld, Matt Renshaw returned to grade cricket with 145, Joe Burns went berserk taking out his frustration of the first shield game with a mammoth 216 supported by McSweeney with 90 and Tom Healy (Ian's son) with 89.Unfortunately Charlie Hemphrey's poor form continued. Let's hope that with Renshaw and Labuschagne's return they continue with the development of McSweeney and replace Truloff and Hemphrey.

Grade cricket is a bit of  a low  level to discuss national team selection aspirants.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 23 Oct 2018 9:00 AM

Grade cricket is a bit of  a low  level to discuss national team selection aspirants.

Pitch must have been an absolute belter. Is that the same McSweeney that skippered the national U19s a few years ago Mike. I also heard he had left cricket..or did I get my wires crossed?  After the confidence Labu must have taken from UAE tour I can see a standout year for him..specially with the bat. Peirson must also give him the ball more now than in past. This bloke is a wicket taker and a partnership- breaker.  Truloff keeps getting chances and not taking them. Hemphrey can be very good one day and horrible the next.. much like Qlds weather:P
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search