Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Saturday arvo is literally the standard time slot for football matches all around the world.

But anyway, let’s just schedule all our matches for Friday prime time —- where we get 49k.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Footballer - 28 Oct 2018 6:28 PM
Saturday arvo is literally the standard time slot for football matches all around the world. But anyway, let’s just schedule all our matches for Friday prime time —- where we get 49k.

But this is Straya.

We unique.

And different. 

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 28 Oct 2018 2:58 PM
bettega - 28 Oct 2018 2:51 PM

I'll add this to the list of excuses.

The list must be a book by now :laugh:
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

FOX RATINGS - SUNDAY

MV v PG - 64k
BR v WEL - 40k
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Waz - 27 Oct 2018 1:32 PM
@footyindustryAU tweet:“Fri A-league last night rated 49,000 between Adelaide and Newcastle on Fox. The Friday match between Brisbane and Adelaide, from Round 2 of the 2017-18 season rated 88,000. Recent survey suggests streaming numbers are ~1/3rd of the TV numbers which would make it ~72,000.”Can’t believe the streaming numbers aren’t released, they should be known to within +/- 1 resolution

would like to see some evidence of streaming numbers coz if they are running at about 1/3 of TV viewers, it doesn't make the fugures look aso bad. 

TheSelectFew - 28 Oct 2018 11:40 AM
Sydney derby on fox got 70k lol

what about FTA? 

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

nomates - 28 Oct 2018 1:36 PM
Its like the A-League is dying????? Those TV numbers are low as fk.  Bring back SBS!

It's OK

Dandenong and MacArthur will fix it

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

someone said

"Foxtel put in place a few qualifiers already into the contract. People divide the $346 mill by 6 to come up with an annual figure, but that figure is NOT what Foxtel is paying, because a few conditions need to be met to get maximum dollar (and on current ratings figures, we can already wipe $30 mill of that headline figure), and that's before we even get to the high amount of contra.
Another $6 mill can be wiped because the extra two teams didn't come in this season (and may even be delayed one more season), although, even when that comes in, it won't fund be enough to fund the two additional teams in any event." 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Feed the Bronx

Yeah, me too. That was a direct quote on the 1/3 streaming number but no further explanation was provided.

If true it doesn’t add value to Foxtel but does make football attractive to a pay tv and mobile provider. Optus here we come I recon.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Melbcityguy - 29 Oct 2018 1:15 PM
someone said

"Foxtel put in place a few qualifiers already into the contract. People divide the $346 mill by 6 to come up with an annual figure, but that figure is NOT what Foxtel is paying, because a few conditions need to be met to get maximum dollar (and on current ratings figures, we can already wipe $30 mill of that headline figure), and that's before we even get to the high amount of contra.
Another $6 mill can be wiped because the extra two teams didn't come in this season (and may even be delayed one more season), although, even when that comes in, it won't fund be enough to fund the two additional teams in any event." 

I don't think there was ever any expansion money until 19/20 (4 seasons x $6m)

And I also understand the metrics cash was only $7.5m for each of the last 2 seasons ($15m total)

With Contra running at (6 x $6m ) $36m worth you're down to about $271m in cash (or $45m/p/a).  Not sure whether the Marquee fund is seperate.

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

This isn't good news for A League. Lucky the TV deal was already signed.

If these trends continue, Fox will pull the TV Deals money next time leaving the A League high and dry.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 29 Oct 2018 2:59 PM
This isn't good news for A League. Lucky the TV deal was already signed.

If these trends continue, Fox will pull the TV Deals money next time leaving the A League high and dry.

I don't think they'll pull it, but growth might depend on whether someone like Optus battles Fox for it

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 29 Oct 2018 1:52 PM

absolutely stunned by these numbers.  but if you add streaming, it works out to be about the same, right? or am i sounding desperate?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 29 Oct 2018 3:15 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 29 Oct 2018 1:52 PM

absolutely stunned by these numbers.  but if you add streaming, it works out to be about the same, right? or am i sounding desperate?

No way to know unless we get exact figures. I recall last year streaming accounted for roughly 3-5k extra viewers. More options this year but even if you double it to 10k the numbers are still dire.
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Speaking from personal experience, I am watching more football in total but less Foxtel, mainly due to Optus showing EPL, all ECL, Europa and League of Nations games, plus their other other football shows offering better viewing.

Also with VAR, constant back passing, recycling and slow pace of HAL, it is getting harder to watch.

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Are illegal streams part the problem? If so then I’m guilty SKY Sports cost to much $-$$$

Wellington Phoenix FC

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Southmelb

Yeah, we need exact numbers on streaming to know. But even if they’re decent they’re still a threat to the Foxtel deal as it’s not their revenue.

The post I referenced from twitter said 1/3 of Fox figures were streaming on MyFootball but no proof or explanation was offered - Telstra will know the exact number as will the ffa.

The_Wookie
The_Wookie
Hacker
Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)Hacker (349 reputation)

Waz - 29 Oct 2018 4:58 PM
@ Southmelb Yeah, we need exact numbers on streaming to know. But even if they’re decent they’re still a threat to the Foxtel deal as it’s not their revenue. The post I referenced from twitter said 1/3 of Fox figures were streaming on MyFootball but no proof or explanation was offered - Telstra will know the exact number as will the ffa.

The post you referenced was based on a brief twitter poll ran last week, which indicated that streaming/mobile numbers could be equal to 1/3rd of the Foxtel numbers . Fox wont overly care if they transition from Fox to Foxtel Play subs - still money in the bank for Fox. However if they dump Foxtel altogether for the Telstra/myfootballlive streams that becomes an issue.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Wookie

The Foxtel streaming numbers are extremely low (for HAL) which makes sense. I’ve got Foxtel and the only time I’ve used their streaming is when I’ve been travelling and the hotel doesn’t have it, otherwise why use it?

The MyFootball App via Telstra is different as it appeals to non Foxtel customers so should pickup new viewers, which is problematic for the ffa as it’s of no use to Foxtel and undermines the current tv deals worth.

I can believe MyFootball is doing okay as plenty of football supporters don’t have Foxtel but Optus probably have most of the hardcore supporters because of their other football packages. And the best you can say about MyFootball is it’s a cheap mans Foxtel unlike the Optus service it doesn’t offer anything new or compelling.

If I was to predict the next FFA deal now I’d say it’s an Optus/SBS deal. I think football and Foxtels relationship is coming to an end if these numbers are correct.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Waz - 29 Oct 2018 6:58 PM
@ Wookie The Foxtel streaming numbers are extremely low (for HAL) which makes sense. I’ve got Foxtel and the only time I’ve used their streaming is when I’ve been travelling and the hotel doesn’t have it, otherwise why use it? The MyFootball App via Telstra is different as it appeals to non Foxtel customers so should pickup new viewers, which is problematic for the ffa as it’s of no use to Foxtel and undermines the current tv deals worth. I can believe MyFootball is doing okay as plenty of football supporters don’t have Foxtel but Optus probably have most of the hardcore supporters because of their other football packages. And the best you can say about MyFootball is it’s a cheap mans Foxtel unlike the Optus service it doesn’t offer anything new or compelling. If I was to predict the next FFA deal now I’d say it’s an Optus/SBS deal. I think football and Foxtels relationship is coming to an end if these numbers are correct.

SO waz do you think the a league is better off with Optus then foxtel? I would think less people are watching the epl on optus then when the epl was on foxtel. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

The trend in viewing numbers has been in decline for some time.  It will be interesting to see what the new board do to arrest this trend.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ MelbCityGuy

I don’t know and I don’t know would be the answer to all those questions.

I think there’s a few more developments to come in this sector before a final picture emerges, not least Foxtels own sports streaming channel rumoured to be launching soon.

Optus are unlikely to get their hands on AFL, NRL and Cricket so they’re going to be looking for content and with a focus on football already they might value HAL more than Foxtel do. Not least because they can monetise it over subscription tv and mobile.

A lot depends on what happens next season, if the independent A League is run as incompetently as the FFA have done it we’re in a lot of trouble. But if the HAL is well run, expands appropriately and engages clubs and fans better, who knows?

But 7PM kick offs on a Sunday - Fox do that.

Expansion club location - Fox pick those.

Biggest barrier to p/r - Fox not wanting to lose market content.

So for me there is a question mark over whether Fox are good for football. Right now Id say not personally, but to be fair the whole thing is run by rank amateurs so maybe it’s an unfair question?
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ aok

The new Board can fuck right off.

It’s what an independent A League can do to arrest sliding viewing figures.
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

southmelb - 29 Oct 2018 3:25 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 29 Oct 2018 3:15 PM

No way to know unless we get exact figures. I recall last year streaming accounted for roughly 3-5k extra viewers. More options this year but even if you double it to 10k the numbers are still dire.

https://twitter.com/DeanRosario/status/1057045092651851776

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

I can't find this on any news site either News.com or the TerrORgraph but it was an article with GOR in the TerrORgraph talking about our fall in ratings ... twas an interesting article in many ways...

The bad news is ratings this year are down 34% on last year which also experienced a 24% drop from the years before...

I then measured this in a simple way

Say 1, 000 viewers lost 24% = 760 viewers

760 viewers lost 34% = 482 viewers.

Meaning we have lost 518 out of 1, 000 or say 52% of our viewers in say 14 months .... 

IS this possible 

The maybe good news, the ratings for streaming are not known yet and will not be ready for about two weeks, early indications made by people outside Football indicate they are huge... Telstra are also indicating they may refuse to release the ratings for publication citing commercial confidence meaning I think they are either very good or very bad.

GOR said he and FFA management where waiting for the figures where he said its a far more complex measurement system than existing ratings and takes time...GOR  said memberships & crowds are up on the last two years and why should ratings fall.

Given Telstra may refuse to release the figures its  hhhhmmmm  the mushroom treatment for us .... but if indications are correct our streaming ratings are quite large...
Edited
6 Years Ago by Midfielder
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Midfielder - 31 Oct 2018 11:12 AM
I can't find this on any news site either News.com or the TerrORgraph but it was an article with GOR in the TerrORgraph talking about our fall in ratings ... twas an interesting article in many ways...

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/2710634/ALeague-ratings-down-but-new-streaming-app-likely-to-blame

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 12:29 PM
Midfielder - 31 Oct 2018 11:12 AM

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/2710634/ALeague-ratings-down-but-new-streaming-app-likely-to-blame

i just don't understand how people are sitting watching on their phone instead of watching on tv 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

Buggalugs 2.0 - 30 Oct 2018 11:42 AM
southmelb - 29 Oct 2018 3:25 PM

https://twitter.com/DeanRosario/status/1057045092651851776

so we're looking at 10% extra for streaming
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Melbcityguy - 31 Oct 2018 12:34 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 12:29 PM

i just don't understand how people are sitting watching on their phone instead of watching on tv 

may not have Fox ... phone is much cheaper
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search