Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
78K  watched last night on foxtel

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

You can stream from your phone ,tablet or pc to a tv.
Plus a lot of people do watch video on their large phones with HD.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Just on streaming measurement difficulties ....

You can get someone who is watching live and decides they want to check a post the see has been sent so they go away for say 10 minutes and come back...  on TV the leaving does not show...

So how do you measure do you count a 5 second view as a view or does the watcher have to not turn off ... and then you have the delayed viewer who watches after the game and stop's a couple of times and re starts... when do you stop counting the next hour after the match, next day, next week, next month ... and how do you measure what is a viewer how long do they have to watch.... and all this is somewhat new especially to our Telco's and advertisers ...

Football's demographic is young and it seems our supporters would be more into streaming than pay TV or FTA TV...

I do hope we do get to see these figures when they come out.
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 31 Oct 2018 12:34 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 31 Oct 2018 12:29 PM

i just don't understand how people are sitting watching on their phone instead of watching on tv 

exactly.

but this is also an issue for other sports.

people seem to suggest we're the only ones who watch our sport via streaming. from what i gather, all sports are having a small dip in tv ratings - due in part to the rise of online streaming/tablets etc.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

[quote]
Midfielder - 31 Oct 2018 2:19 PM
Just on streaming measurement difficulties ....

You can get someone who is watching live and decides they want to check a post the see has been sent so they go away for say 10 minutes and come back...  on TV the leaving does not show...

So how do you measure do you count a 5 second view as a view or does the watcher have to not turn off ... 

you can say the same thing for TV ratings when people might only turn on for 2 minutes to get a score update. thats why they post "average audience" and "peak audience" figures i can't see why streaming wouldn't be the same.  
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Footballer - 31 Oct 2018 2:48 PM
Melbcityguy - 31 Oct 2018 12:34 PM

exactly.

but this is also an issue for other sports.

people seem to suggest we're the only ones who watch our sport via streaming. from what i gather, all sports are having a small dip in tv ratings - due in part to the rise of online streaming/tablets etc.

The difference is, if you don't want to pay for Foxtel to watch AFL or NRL you can just watch on FTA.

If you want to watch A-League, EPL, UCL, La Liga, Bundesliga, World Cups and internationals you need to access a variety of platforms that largely doesn't include FTA.

Beaten by Eldar

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Just get a $10 a month iptv sub. Bt sports coverage of last nights game was flawless. No contracts, pay month to month, if it goes belly up move to the next one.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

The data below, which is an average for every match of the season, including finals, shows season 2012/2013 was strongest with an average over 70,000.

A-League season average on Fox Sports:

2005-2006 – 42,054
2006-2007 – 55,465
2007-2008 – 69,745
2008-2009 – 63,792
2009-2010 – 54,018
2010-2011 – 44,968
2011-2012 – 65,789
2012-2013 – 74,659
2013-2014 – 65,109
2014-2015 – 59,749
2015-2016 – 55,193
2016-2017 – 63,422
2017-2018 – 51,169

https://mediaweek.com.au/history-of-a-league-ratings/

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

12/13 was the del piero, Heskey, Ono + Wanderers debut.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

It shows expansion increases ratings when accompanied by big names.

:)
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 31 Oct 2018 8:01 PM
It shows expansion increases ratings when accompanied by big names. :)

Extremely unsustainable.

The current situation with player wages has seen us unable to compete toe to toe with wages overseas. If we are to get a quality marquee we would have to spend a lot something that is unlikely to return anything significant. As you see those figures lasted a season. 

But back on wages. When the A-League bought Del Piero his MV was 900k pounds at the age of 38. Since then we have seen the highest transfer fees surpass 100 million pounds. We are not keeping up with inflation due to zero transfer market.

With no one going impact, no threat of relegation and no chance to on-sell your product or your development why invest big money?

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

It shows moving Franchises increases ratings when accompanied by big names.:)

FTFY

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

It shows expansion increases ratings when accompanied by big names.:)

Only for the average tv viewers to drop by 10k the following year. They are sugar hits.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
southmelb - 1 Nov 2018 1:37 PM

Only for the average tv viewers to drop by 10k the following year. They are sugar hits.

But it works and its proven. Case closed.

Wellington Phoenix FC

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

nomates - 2 Nov 2018 2:05 AM
southmelb - 1 Nov 2018 1:37 PM

But it works and its proven. Case closed.

Has no long term benefit..so really it doesnt.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Buying marquees works but it’s unsustsinable. Even if we had a transfer market, we can’t match the costs of the CSL or MLS.

We need a sustainable strategy and that’s not easy.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Burztur - 2 Nov 2018 7:26 AM
Buying marquees works but it’s unsustsinable. Even if we had a transfer market, we can’t match the costs of the CSL or MLS. We need a sustainable strategy and that’s not easy.

So it doesn't work?

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Waz - 29 Oct 2018 6:58 PM
@ Wookie The Foxtel streaming numbers are extremely low (for HAL) which makes sense. I’ve got Foxtel and the only time I’ve used their streaming is when I’ve been travelling and the hotel doesn’t have it, otherwise why use it? The MyFootball App via Telstra is different as it appeals to non Foxtel customers so should pickup new viewers, which is problematic for the ffa as it’s of no use to Foxtel and undermines the current tv deals worth. I can believe MyFootball is doing okay as plenty of football supporters don’t have Foxtel but Optus probably have most of the hardcore supporters because of their other football packages. And the best you can say about MyFootball is it’s a cheap mans Foxtel unlike the Optus service it doesn’t offer anything new or compelling. If I was to predict the next FFA deal now I’d say it’s an Optus/SBS deal. I think football and Foxtels relationship is coming to an end if these numbers are correct.

Waz, there are a lot of scabs that use the foxtel streaming. my parents have foxtel and both me and my brother use their streaming account to watch football at our houses. I know that there are lots of young people that do this. leeching off one account holder. 

I think the down trend is emblematic of the wider public's move away from fixed cable services. i would like to know what the audience is like compared to other foxtel shows from last year. foxtel are announcing the "netflix of sport" soon but the reason netflix has been so successful is offering a product that has a large content base at a reasonable price point. foxtel are not known for there reasonable price points so I dont think they will be successful. however i do think streaming is the way of the future and the next broadcast deal will be heavily streaming based.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

sirhcdobo - 2 Nov 2018 11:21 AM
[quote]
Waz - 29 Oct 2018 6:58 PM

Waz, there are a lot of scabs that use the foxtel streaming. my parents have foxtel and both me and my brother use their streaming account to watch football at our houses. I know that there are lots of young people that do this. leeching off one account holder. 

Definitely. People do this with Netflix/Stan etc as well.
Not saying this is an excuse as all sports numbers would be affected by this.

I can only assume they can track that as well ie if 3 houses are watching on one subscription?
If they can, they obviously know it happens and figure thats a cost of having to provide services like Go to keep their actual subscribers happy with their options?

In the example above (a common one) 3 different houses(ie. "viewers") are watching one game. I wonder if this counts as one viewer or 3?

Go has just been made HD now as well instead of that old shitty app so they can't see it as TOO much of an issue
Edited
6 Years Ago by Davide82
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Also posted in another thread but Ihad a look at the Foxtel numbers for the other codes and average audience for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017), compared to 184,821 for the AFL (down 7 per cent on 2017.Interstingly, the commentators put this down to the NRL being a tight contest this year increasing viewers while AFL had alot of one-sided games causing the drop.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

TheSelectFew - 2 Nov 2018 8:49 AM
Burztur - 2 Nov 2018 7:26 AM

So it doesn't work?

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Haha fair point.

I should say it increases crowds but is unsustainable. So it doesn’t work...
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I wonder if fox sports having triple headers are effecting the ratings at all
chris
chris
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

As I direct comparison AFL and NRL have not had a 30% dip due to streaming services.
This is just a deflection and a short term one also.
Alarm bells
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Newcastle v Victory 52k
Wellington v Wanderers 36k
Perth v Brisbane 27k

City v Sydney still not available on Mediaweek site.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class

Chris, did those comps have a dip due to streaming? If so, what was it?

Agree with your assessment. Just want to see how it translates to our league
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

jayzus
chris
chris
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Burztur - 4 Nov 2018 3:28 PM
Chris, did those comps have a dip due to streaming? If so, what was it?Agree with your assessment. Just want to see how it translates to our league

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html

NRL actually grew YoY
Whilst AFL had a 13 PC dip YoY

Football with a 30pc dip with all the big derby games played in Melbourne and Sydney and there is a massive gap which may get bigger as the less tv friendly games now loom over the next few weeks
Also add in a bigger BBL program over summer

chris
chris
Pro

The average free-to-air audience for the NRL was 600,181 in 2018, compared to 307,793 for the AFL (down 13 per cent on 2017), acknowledging that the AFL has cross-over timeslots and doesn’t go free to air with the same games nationally.

The average subscription TV audience (Foxtel) for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017), compared to 184,821 for the AFL (down 7 per cent on 2017).

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

What a drop. It's round 3 lol. 2 new teams will not increase interest enough.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search