The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Taggart has to be our starting forward next match

as for a back 3... wait for pasquali he can play the middle role perfectly after some much time at CB for Jong Ajax... good on the ball would be amazing there.. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by jas88
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
jas88 - 21 Apr 2019 11:53 AM
Taggart has to be our starting forward next match

as for a back 3... wait for pasquali he can play the middle role perfectly after some much time at CB for Jong Ajax... good on the ball would be amazing there.. 

Pasquali is 5"7 and doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. What Ajax did for development purposes in a couple of U21 games isn't going to translate to his senior football career. 
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Pasquali long term position is a deep-lying No.6, he's no No.8 or any advanced midfielder.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

We can clearly see Sainsbury isn't enjoying himself professionally at the moment. He is really becoming a disappointment in fulfilling his potential at club level. Just one full season of matches somewhere in Europe would be nice. 
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Deng for the Socceroos? The bloke is barely ALeague level, if it wasnt for his athleticism he’d be park league.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

jlm8695 - 21 Apr 2019 12:03 PM
jas88 - 21 Apr 2019 11:53 AM

Pasquali is 5"7 and doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. What Ajax did for development purposes in a couple of U21 games isn't going to translate to his senior football career. 

why did he leave after all the youth broek through this year now they in UCL semis th ought he was playing weekly at CB
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

jas88 - 22 Apr 2019 5:34 AM

why did he leave after all the youth broek through this year now they in UCL semis th ought he was playing weekly at CB

Because he was way out of the pecking order for Jong Ajax
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

johnszasz - 19 Apr 2019 4:22 AM
Bowden - 18 Apr 2019 10:09 AM

No info as yet. Firstly these playoffs need to be completed on June 6 and 11. Damn Macau away in Sri Lanka on the 11th when I'm in HK that day. Doubt you'd even catch wind of the match.

I reckon the draw will be in June or July at the latest. There'll be quiet a number of kilometres for us to clock again. Really curious who we'll get and FIFA need to announce their 2022 plan as it'll affect some aspect of qualifying at some point. I really can't see them having 2 large groups and allowing lower placed finishers going to Qatar. I'd actually be pretty uncomfortable with a CAF style qualifying where only the group winner goes through. Nervous stuff that'd be. 

I remember reading somewhere that FIFA will decide if they are expanding the number of teams in the 2022 WC on June 5th. So I guess if they announced they were expanding the competition the announcement would include the new qualification procedure.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
johnszasz - 20 Apr 2019 8:43 PM
chondro - 20 Apr 2019 7:46 PM

Playing every week in an average side. Not sure if he's a standout though. 

More than twice as much game time as Jurman, but he's still getting called up.

Neither of their teams are safe from relegation. Two rounds left to play. I'd love to have Rhys back at Victory.
Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

inala brah - 20 Apr 2019 8:32 PM
City Sam - 19 Apr 2019 5:42 PM

they need a solid break. 2 seasons with a world cup and asia cup. leckie, ryan, mooy, rogic are all overplayed atm and frequently injured because of it.

we really need to be breaking out the second team - or the aus based team in these periods. 

When the June matches were being discussed late last year there suggestions that the squad would be see some of the Confed Cup/World Cup/Asian Cup reps being rested to allow a decent offseason break.

I don't see a full B squad or Australian based side being selected given the combined World Cup and Asian Cup qualifiers will be starting in September. If I am wrong I reckon a largely Under 23 side would be more likely if GA is going to continue to hold both the Senior and Under 23 roles.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Glh37 - 22 Apr 2019 1:25 PM
inala brah - 20 Apr 2019 8:32 PM

When the June matches were being discussed late last year there suggestions that the squad would be see some of the Confed Cup/World Cup/Asian Cup reps being rested to allow a decent offseason break.

I don't see a full B squad or Australian based side being selected given the combined World Cup and Asian Cup qualifiers will be starting in September. If I am wrong I reckon a largely Under 23 side would be more likely if GA is going to continue to hold both the Senior and Under 23 roles.

either would be the smart thing to do. i am not expecting a smart thing done.

Glh37
Glh37
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Ameryn74 - 22 Apr 2019 10:33 AM
johnszasz - 19 Apr 2019 4:22 AM

I remember reading somewhere that FIFA will decide if they are expanding the number of teams in the 2022 WC on June 5th. So I guess if they announced they were expanding the competition the announcement would include the new qualification procedure.

I agree that an expansion announcement would need to spell out the revised qualification arrangements for all confederations, presumably these would be publicised in the weeks beforehand.

The hosts of the 2023 Asian Cup - China or South Korea - will also be announced on June 4.

An initial World Cup qualification draw (combined with Asian Cup qualification for AFC) is likely right after after July FIFA rankings are released on 25 July.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Glh37
Terre Astrale
Terre Astrale
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)Hardcore Fan (176 reputation)

highkick05 - 19 Apr 2019 1:36 PM
Wonder what the latest Mens Australia NT starting XI looks like lately.

I'd go something like this for 23 man squad:

Ryan
Vukovic
Langerak
Degenek
Milligan
Wright
Jurman
Grant
Karacic
Smith
Gersbach
Mooy
Luongo
Amini
Irvine
Rogic
McGree
Mabil
Leckie
Ikonomidis
Borello
Taggart
Nabbout

Sainsbury and Behich dropped due to lack of playing time.

Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Terre Astrale - 23 Apr 2019 8:52 AM

Ryan
Vukovic
Langerak
Degenek
Milligan
Wright
Jurman
Grant
Karacic
Smith
Gersbach
Mooy
Luongo
Amini
Irvine
Rogic
McGree
Mabil
Leckie
Ikonomidis
Borello
Taggart
Nabbout

You can’t drop sainsbury and behich for lack of playing time. If a guy goes to a world class club and has a crack and doesn’t succeed then you can’t penalise him for that. 
If he goes to somewhere shit and doesn’t play then yea punish him. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Glh37 - 22 Apr 2019 3:47 PM
Ameryn74 - 22 Apr 2019 10:33 AM

I agree that an expansion announcement would need to spell out the revised qualification arrangements for all confederations, presumably these would be publicised in the weeks beforehand.

The hosts of the 2023 Asian Cup - China or South Korea - will also be announced on June 4.

An initial World Cup qualification draw (combined with Asian Cup qualification for AFC) is likely right after after July FIFA rankings are released on 25 July.

the expansions are bullshit.  just compromising the entire competition so that 1) china's money can be involved 2)the saudi's money can "share" (steal) the extra games at qatar.

there are no other real reasons. it's purely more corruption and politics by fifa.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

josh sydneyfc - 23 Apr 2019 9:19 AM

You can’t drop sainsbury and behich for lack of playing time. If a guy goes to a world class club and has a crack and doesn’t succeed then you can’t penalise him for that. 

yes you can. every time we start relying on players who are not playing at their club we go to shit.  always the same.

the lack of competitive game time is always obvious and a weakness in our team.  we cannot reward mediocrity or rely on how good a player was

im a big sains and behich fan. probably one of the more vocal forumites supporting them over the years and calling for their inclusion - way before the made the squad permanently..  but they cannot be in current squads.

Edited
5 Years Ago by inala brah
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

@bundoora I’m hearing you. Normally I would support what you are saying. 
All I’m saying is sainsbury and behich took a massive risk in going to PSV. It was a high risk and high reward. 
We don’t want to send the message of, be happy where you are and not try to better yourself. 

im not saying they have to be in the first XI at the moment for the Roos, but I think they need to be there. 

If Aaron mooy leaves Huddersfield and goes to Liverpool and doesn’t play every week will we not pick him for Socceroos squads? I don’t think so. 

If aaron mooy leaves Huddersfield and goes to al-hilal (for example) and doesn’t play then yea, bye bye. 
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

inala brah - 23 Apr 2019 9:24 AM
Glh37 - 22 Apr 2019 3:47 PM

the expansions are bullshit.  just compromising the entire competition so that 1) china's money can be involved 2)the saudi's money can "share" (steal) the extra games at qatar.

there are no other real reasons. it's purely more corruption and politics by fifa.

More games = more money obviously. Cricket did the same thing by expanding the World Cup but they have concluded that watching UAE and Scotland play Cricket was hurting the tournament. FIFA are committed to 48 teams eventually so we have to get used to it. I'm just disappointed because it is likely the number of Socceroos games at the World Cup will reduce by 33%.
jas88
jas88
World Class

City Sam - 22 Apr 2019 9:38 AM
jas88 - 22 Apr 2019 5:34 AM

Because he was way out of the pecking order for Jong Ajax

but half the ajax squad will get signed in the off season..
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
josh sydneyfc - 23 Apr 2019 9:19 AM

Only academic anyway as Arnie's not about to drop his son-in-law.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

jas88 - 23 Apr 2019 9:45 PM
City Sam - 22 Apr 2019 9:38 AM

but half the ajax squad will get signed in the off season..

And replaced with their top young talent and other players with their millions they'll have to spend. Pasquali had no future at Ajax, none at all and would likely fall further down the pecking order with the next line of 16-17 year olds.

He has played in 9 games this season and doesn't even make the matchday squad half the time, it isn't like he is a regular. He is way out of the pecking order and Ajax losing 2-3 of their players won't change that.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Ajax is a football farm and very few get through. Pasquali has done alright but they're extremely stringent on who gets through. He's made the right call. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

So with the season end not too far away, our next squad should be due in around 5 weeks. Considering all injuries, form and fitness I'd select:

Ryan Vukovic Langerak

Grant Atkinson Sainsbury Degenek Wright Susnjar Davidson Behich

Milligan Mooy Irvine Rogic Luongo McGree 

Leckie Mabil Giannou Taggart Ikonomidis Williams

Gersbach appears to be out with something. Davidson, Smith or even Meredith could come in.

I'd like to see Susnjar again and his being based in Korea makes it a convenient thing to have another look. Wright has earned a return without a doubt.

I've included Ryan Williams but would probably expect Nabbout to also be there. Giannou and Taggart must be included while Mabil and Ikonomidis need to be persisted with.

Rogic and Luongo are both very important but they might like a rest. I'd welcome it if they're all raring to go in September. 
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Not sure we should be picking milligan or Vukovic when they will have no chance of being at the the WC. late 30s...
Thomas should be the 3rd choice keeper now and a new Dm should come in.
Edited
5 Years Ago by chondro
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

chondro - 23 Apr 2019 11:27 PM
Not sure we should be picking milligan or Vukovic when they will have no chance of being at the the WC. late 30s...
Thomas should be the 3rd choice keeper now and a new Dm should come in.

Milligan will have to announce his retirement before he stops getting picked I feel. McGree should be in the squad regardless of Milligan's situation.

Vukovic is getting even better. Whether he'll maintain the level for 3 more years is unknown. He's apparently amazing in training with the national team and is a very worthy number 2 for now. 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

johnszasz - 23 Apr 2019 11:15 PM
So with the season end not too far away, our next squad should be due in around 5 weeks. Considering all injuries, form and fitness I'd select:

Ryan Vukovic Langerak

Grant Atkinson Sainsbury Degenek Wright Susnjar Davidson Behich

Gersbach appears to be out with something. Davidson, Smith or even Meredith could come in.

I'd like to see Susnjar again and his being based in Korea makes it a convenient thing to have another look. Wright has earned a return without a doubt.

I've included Ryan Williams but would probably expect Nabbout to also be there. Giannou and Taggart must be included while Mabil and Ikonomidis need to be persisted with.

Rogic and Luongo are both very important but they might like a rest. I'd welcome it if they're all raring to go in September. 

Ryan Vukovic Langerak

Grant Atkinson Sainsbury Degenek Wright Susnjar Smith Behich

Bold are in for me. Atkinson, Wright, Luongo, Susnjar, Williams all don't know how they are going @ clubs. Davidson I have never liked (sorry Davo had a gr8 A-league but nup)

I guess Taggart is worth a spin again, but Boyle would take any of those front 3 spots. However, I do think Maclaren has proven more at a higher level over Taggart

Right now I would take Boyle and Gainnou over Maccas and Tags. 

Maclaren ? what's up with him haven't seen his name popup so I'll presume injured. Don't watch Melb City enough.

I liked how we brought Petratos and Borello into the mix a few NT games back. I think Borello is playing and Petratos has switched off a bit now he has nobody decent up front with him anymore. It's a shame how that unravelled so quickly @ Newy.

There would be others worth a gamble, Goodwin is another with enough credentials I feel. Maybe even done more than Behich this season.

All depends on what they're doing I guess to who gets into that frame

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Ryan
Vukovic
Langerak
Degenek
Milligan
Wright
Jurman
Grant
Karacic
Smith
Gersbach
Mooy
Luongo
Amini
Irvine
Rogic
McGree
Mabil
Leckie
Ikonomidis
Borello
Taggart
Nabbout

Would love to see Goodwin in there. I feel he's developed pretty well, enough to know what to expect from a game and do some good things around the box.

Jurman is another who could do ok in our next friendlies. I do wonder about Sainsbury and Behich not playing and how much that will effect there form in a match.

We've seen both Smith and Kruse go from elite level to amatuer in about the space of a few months. Just not in the right shape mentally or physically to be honest.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

highkick05 - 23 Apr 2019 11:53 PM
johnszasz - 23 Apr 2019 11:15 PM

Ryan Vukovic Langerak

Grant Atkinson Sainsbury Degenek Wright Susnjar Smith Behich

Bold are in for me. Atkinson, Wright, Luongo, Susnjar, Williams all don't know how they are going @ clubs. Davidson I have never liked (sorry Davo had a gr8 A-league but nup)

I guess Taggart is worth a spin again, but Boyle would take any of those front 3 spots. However, I do think Maclaren has proven more at a higher level over Taggart

Right now I would take Boyle and Gainnou over Maccas and Tags. 

Maclaren ? what's up with him haven't seen his name popup so I'll presume injured. Don't watch Melb City enough.

I liked how we brought Petratos and Borello into the mix a few NT games back. I think Borello is playing and Petratos has switched off a bit now he has nobody decent up front with him anymore. It's a shame how that unravelled so quickly @ Newy.

There would be others worth a gamble, Goodwin is another with enough credentials I feel. Maybe even done more than Behich this season.

All depends on what they're doing I guess to who gets into that frame

How fit is Boyle after that season ending injury? Irvine and Luongo have had massive seasons. I think a lot of players will be going to Australia for a visit and somewhere hot elsewhere in the world in the off season so these matches in Asia should be a good stop before heading to Oz to visit family.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Just realised I've totally forgotten Antonis. He's a class act and definitely comes into consideration.
I'll say it, our best 11 on paper will never be our best on the pitch. I think we need to mix it up to find the best team. 

In the days of Kewell and Viduka, Sterjovski contributed very highly pound for pound. Perhaps someone like Jeggo and Antonis would be a perfect match. Unfortunately we just don't have enough games to try it. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

josh sydneyfc - 23 Apr 2019 10:12 AM
@bundoora I’m hearing you. Normally I would support what you are saying. 
All I’m saying is sainsbury and behich took a massive risk in going to PSV. It was a high risk and high reward. 
We don’t want to send the message of, be happy where you are and not try to better yourself. 

im not saying they have to be in the first XI at the moment for the Roos, but I think they need to be there. 

If Aaron mooy leaves Huddersfield and goes to Liverpool and doesn’t play every week will we not pick him for Socceroos squads? I don’t think so. 

If aaron mooy leaves Huddersfield and goes to al-hilal (for example) and doesn’t play then yea, bye bye. 

they took a risk like every player going to a new club. this isn't a game of participation awards. our NT can't be giving out feel good squad spots. earn it.

sainsbury deserves no favours. he went to china and fkd his own career. he has played world cup and asian cup football. boy needs to sit on the sidelines until he sorts his shit out.

it's not just a case of missing a few weeks. he has hardly played. and if mooy did the same, sure there would be some breaks given at first - much like sainsbury got - but after a while i would be saying exactly the same thing. because it is always crippling to the NT to have rusty out of touch players on the pitch.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search