Macarthur South West Sydney Thread

Macarthur South West Sydney Thread

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
nomates - 22 Apr 2019 5:05 PM
Gyfox - 22 Apr 2019 4:45 PM

Gyfox do you think they will be the next WSW?

No.  They will market themselves to about one third of Wanderers area so they won't be as big as Wanderers.

The northern half of their market based on Fairfield and Liverpool is strongly held by Wanderers.  It has a number of "old football clubs" and a slowly reducing number of registered players.  I wouldn't expect them to get a lot of fans/members out of that part of their market but you never know especially when there will be about 200k population growth there up to 2036.

The southern part of their market is Macarthur (Camden, Campbelltown, Wollondilly) which is a big growth area that already houses a lot of recently arrived young families some of who are fans/members of Wanderers and some of Sydney FC.  Player numbers are growing quickly but at 3.1% of population there it is significantly below the average in Sydney.  With player numbers growing faster than the population growth rate and with another 200k expected by 2036 and no club in any sport competing nationally there is a significant future market.

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Will always be Sydney United 58 on steroids.

Fraud of a club
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Paul01 - 23 Apr 2019 7:40 AM

Fraud of a club

Shit it's only Tuesday & you've already won dumb arse statement of the week. Well done.  

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

The 2 expansion clubs have taken differing approaches to their launch.   These guys seem to be making some solid moves, it's a shame they weren't coming in next season. 
HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

aok - 23 Apr 2019 4:39 PM
The 2 expansion clubs have taken differing approaches to their launch.   These guys seem to be making some solid moves, it's a shame they weren't coming in next season. 

They'd rather take their time with it. The fact that they are going to play in 21-22 season gives them room to breathe. i assure you they'll use this time well

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Harry Kewell to be manager I reckon. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

aok - 23 Apr 2019 4:39 PM

not living in sydney, i don't have much of a grasp of what they have been doing. all i know is their announcement next month. but how much consultation have they done with their potential fan base re name, colours and crest? it seems like Western United's approach was pretty token. but has MSWS done any better in this regard?
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Archie Fraser to be announced as CEO.  I had hoped they would find someone who understood South West Sydney.
19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Fraud of a club

yeah they will be wearing red, white and blue, and a big U on their jerseys too. 

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

19-SU-58 - 29 Apr 2019 12:52 PM

yeah they will be wearing red, white and blue, and a big U on their jerseys too. 

Wow. Would pay a bunch of flogs to sing Croatia at the game. 

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Gyfox - 29 Apr 2019 12:35 PM
Archie Fraser to be announced as CEO.  I had hoped they would find someone who understood South West Sydney.

Sorry, but Archie is a football prostitute and would do anything to get a gig.

Amazing he hasn't joined Palmer's United Party

In a resort somewhere

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I would say that the appointment of Fraser is the first blemish in an otherwise great path towards the establishment of the club.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Milicic the man to lead South-West Sydney into A-League
A-League expansion franchise Macarthur South-West Sydney have all but settled on their inaugural coach, with Ante Milicic set to take the reins for the club’s entry into the competition in 2020-21.         Updated         By        Dave Lewis                Share          The current Matildas mentor has been linked with the job since late last year, and is understood to have begun sounding out potential signings over joining him at Sydney’s third A-League club.The newcomers - who today will officially unveil former A-League boss Archie Fraser as their CEO - also have ambitious plans to make ex-Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak their first marquee and on-field talisman.They can officially begin negotiating with and signing players in December, though Mililic is understood to already be formulating the make up of the squad he aims to lead into action at the club’s Campbelltown Stadium home.He is also thought to be piecing together his intended support staff behind the scenes.The club’s hierarchy, which also includes chairman Gino Marra and former Sydney United powerbroker Sam Krslovic, believe Mililic will be a catalyst able to drive them forward in his first appointment as an A-League head coach, despite being previously linked with a bid to repatriate Perth Glory coach Tony Popovic back to his hometown.Mililic, 45, has passed on signing an extension to continue with the Matildas after June’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in France to return to clubland.A trusted assistant at Melbourne Heart and then Western Sydney Wanderers, the top job has eluded him - until now.He has strong roots in the region, having both played and coached Sydney United under the auspices of Krslovic.Mililic has been a trusted operator under the FFA umbrella since 2014, first as assistant to Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou and then his successor Bert van Marwijk at the 2014 and 2018 FIFA World Cups. And also the 2015 AFC Asian Cup.His reach extends to Australia’s under age teams, with assistant and head coach roles for the Young Socceroos and Olyroos, most recently at last year's under-19 Asian Championship where the team fell short of under-20 World Cup qualification by losing to Saudi Arabia in the quarter-finals.

Wellington Phoenix FC

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

aok - 30 Apr 2019 10:54 AM

I would say that the appointment of Fraser is the first blemish in an otherwise great path towards the establishment of the club.

depends on what he does. not gonna judge him until i see what he does at the club first

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Link to article that includes video of the press conference announcing Archie Fraser.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/macarthur/inaugural-ceo-unveiled-for-regions-a-league-team/news-story/527b4877326d5d83792a4bc53c3b6a32

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class

Gyfox - 30 Apr 2019 6:51 PM

paywalled and not supported by outline too :(

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class

I dont know guys....

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

There seems to be 3 trademark names registered so far:

I'm not familiar with the region, does 'bulls' have any significance, or is it just a some animal they have picked?

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class

someguyjc - 6 May 2019 2:42 PM

I'm not familiar with the region, does 'bulls' have any significance, or is it just a some animal they have picked?

i have no idea to be honest with ya. i live in the area but i dont pay attention to history what so ever

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Very early on in the colony a bull and some cows escaped from Sydney and a number of years later a herd of cattle were found on the lush banks of the Nepean River that winds through the south west of Sydney.  The region was initially referred to as the Cowpastures.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Gyfox
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Gyfox - 6 May 2019 2:56 PM

Very early on in the colony a bull and some cows escaped from Sydney and a number of years later a herd of cattle were found on the lush banks of the Nepean River that winds through the south west of Sydney.  The region was initially referred to as the Cowpastures.

Cowpastures FC then?
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 May 2019 3:08 PM

Cowpastures FC then?

hahha 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

someguyjc - 6 May 2019 3:08 PM

Cowpastures FC then?

:)

It's the only link that the area has with bulls although I think the local shop may have sold a few red bulls in its time.

PS.  The escapees were 4 cows, a bull and a young bull that were picked up in South Africa on the way to Australia.  They were "black Cape cattle".
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

If the two new expansion sides are called Western United and FC Bulls then there really is no hope

ARNIE= LEGEND

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

This article gives me hope theyll go Macarthur FC with a bull in the logo:
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/it-s-the-running-of-the-bulls-as-a-league-new-boys-adopt-a-nickname?fbclid=IwAR0MD8dbu3zPdCHeXKHuZnu9JpwTzSUBo5Mgz4jJVcMAnHaaneBlW4LuNz4

ARNIE= LEGEND

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

That sounds the best option. RedKat.

How many Sydney FC fans do you think will go to away games in Campbelltown?
evolution
evolution
Hacker
Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)

Gyfox - 6 May 2019 4:40 PM

That sounds the best option. RedKat.

100% agree, Macarthur FC with a bull as the mascot the winner by a mile. Clean and simple. And as nice as the sentiment of having an indigenous name is I don't think it works for uniting the entire community behind it. I don't think Newcastle having been called Awabakal instead would have ever worked for example. Do like the idea of having the Dharawal name incorporated onto the logo or kti somehow though.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
evolution - 6 May 2019 5:23 PM
Gyfox - 6 May 2019 4:40 PM

100% agree, Macarthur FC with a bull as the mascot the winner by a mile. Clean and simple. And as nice as the sentiment of having an indigenous name is I don't think it works for uniting the entire community behind it. I don't think Newcastle having been called Awabakal instead would have ever worked for example. Do like the idea of having the Dharawal name incorporated onto the logo or kti somehow though.

All it'll take is one ABC or SBS story about it being appropriation and the whole thing goes up in smoke. Even if the Elders that the club spoke to (I assume) gave it the green light, someone is always willing to take offence vicariously.

Way too sensitive a topic to be literally risking your team's name on.
Edited
5 Years Ago by paladisious
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

If they do go Macarthur FC Im keen for what the branding of when we play them. It'll be something cringey like the FC Derby.

ARNIE= LEGEND

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search