Independent A league thread

Independent A league thread

Author
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Here’s the article 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48971764

libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Glory Recruit - 13 Jul 2019 11:58 PM
Sage still pushing for Asian A-league sides.

Ah yes, and we know he is not the only owner keen on this...

And with domestic broadcast revenues set to dry up after the current Lowy TV deal expires, it will make sense in a lot of owners eyes.
Edited
5 Years Ago by libel
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

"New Zealand side Wellington - technically not even from the same Confederation after Australia were affiliated to the Asian Confederation (AFC) in 2006 - play in the A-League, so why not introduce teams from other countries whose own domestic competitions are weak?"

Anyone else think this part of the article is not only super ignorant, but embarrassing? Not exactly like our league is a powerhouse 

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

jaymz - 14 Jul 2019 7:15 AM
"New Zealand side Wellington - technically not even from the same Confederation after Australia were affiliated to the Asian Confederation (AFC) in 2006 - play in the A-League, so why not introduce teams from other countries whose own domestic competitions are weak?"

Anyone else think this part of the article is not only super ignorant, but embarrassing? Not exactly like our league is a powerhouse 

Sage is full of sh1te. 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Well, the whole concept is fanciful but compared to the NZ league the HAL is a powerhouse. 

Thankfully it doesnt appear to have broad support within AAPFC and I would guess that international expansion would be one of the things the FFA could veto. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Waz - 14 Jul 2019 7:38 AM

Well, the whole concept is fanciful but compared to the NZ league the HAL is a powerhouse. 

Thankfully it doesnt appear to have broad support within AAPFC and I would guess that international expansion would be one of the things the FFA could veto. 

Would rather than could.
Why would the clubs decide to add long distance flights other than Perth and Wellington to the costs. 
As I understand, the FFA pays for flights for A-league teams. Additional travelling squad members are paid by the clubs themselves.
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Paul01 - 14 Jul 2019 8:23 AM

Why would the clubs decide to add long distance flights other than Perth and Wellington to the costs. 

Because there's this thing called cost-benefit analysis...
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

I believe another team from NZ and one from Singapore would do the league good. Sky Sports would pay more $$$ so would the Singapore bids TV sponsor.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

nomates - 14 Jul 2019 8:42 AM
I believe another team from NZ and one from Singapore would do the league good. Sky Sports would pay more $$$ so would the Singapore bids TV sponsor.

Sky sports pay $100k now right, how much would they pay for two teams do you think? 

This will not get off the ground - FIFA know the European clubs want to form their own pan-european league and UEFA are blocking them. There is no way they will allow SEA to set a precedent that will lead to a European super league. 
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I seriously hate the idea. The reason I hate it is because we have plenty of football clubs or potential football clubs who would emerge if the right conditions existed. The main one being a pro/rel environment. There are plenty of stupid wealthy individuals would like the idea of owning a football club.  This investment just doesn't occur to the extent it does in other countries because we have a closed shop environment. The NZ team I would consider because we have a much closer affiliation with NZ than we do with Singapore but I would only consider it if we happen to be in the same confederation. Something needs to happen on that front either from FIFA or NZ football itself. 

I am totally against this idea of Super Leagues, whether they be in Europe or Asia. I understand that there are countries or regions who are represented in some domestic leagues ie Wales, Monaco etc but those are situations which I feel are a lot easier to manage. This idea of a team from Singapore has been tried before in the NBL and it doesn't work. It doesn't work in Rugby either. I just feel we have enough teams who would emerge and want to compete once we get all our ducks in a row. In all honesty we could have an amazing A-league, 2nd Tier and even 3rd Tier if we get this right. 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

RBBAnonymous - 14 Jul 2019 9:00 AM

I seriously hate the idea. The reason I hate it is because we have plenty of football clubs or potential football clubs who would emerge if the right conditions existed. The main one being a pro/rel environment. There are plenty of stupid wealthy individuals would like the idea of owning a football club.  This investment just doesn't occur to the extent it does in other countries because we have a closed shop environment. The NZ team I would consider because we have a much closer affiliation with NZ than we do with Singapore but I would only consider it if we happen to be in the same confederation. Something needs to happen on that front either from FIFA or NZ football itself. 

I am totally against this idea of Super Leagues, whether they be in Europe or Asia. I understand that there are countries or regions who are represented in some domestic leagues ie Wales, Monaco etc but those are situations which I feel are a lot easier to manage. This idea of a team from Singapore has been tried before in the NBL and it doesn't work. It doesn't work in Rugby either. I just feel we have enough teams who would emerge and want to compete once we get all our ducks in a row. In all honesty we could have an amazing A-league, 2nd Tier and even 3rd Tier if we get this right. 

But we have a Japanese club playing in Australia super rugby at the expense of Western Force as the Jap club brought in more money. So it can work and at the expense of Aus based clubs.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Waz
Waz
Legend

nomates - 14 Jul 2019 9:47 AM

But we have a Japanese club playing in Australia super rugby at the expense of Western Force as the Jap club brought in more money. So it can work and at the expense of Aus based clubs.

Problem No 1 - STOP comparing football to other codes, there’s a big reason we are in this mess in Australia. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Paul01 - 14 Jul 2019 8:23 AM

Would rather than could.
As I understand, the FFA pays for flights for A-league teams. Additional travelling squad members are paid by the clubs themselves.

I wonder who will pay the flights and land transport for the independent leagues.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

is the ffa going to organise the fixture for this season or is it the new a league board? 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

it makes more sense to have a team from Singapore and piss off the Nix.

Melbcityguy - 15 Jul 2019 11:03 AM
is the ffa going to organise the fixture for this season or is it the new a league board? 

I think the answer to this question is Foxtel. 

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Glory Recruit - 14 Jul 2019 2:12 AM

Thats an interesting article.

On Sages idea about expanding the A-League to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and creating some kind of Super Rugby competition.... I agree with comments to date please please please on bended knees don't do it .

The kicker tho is if what Sage's says is correct that by bring in 3 teams from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, would increase revenue to up to 300 to 400 million [which I doubt] would have a huge appeal to existing owners... another issues is all these countries already have their own professional leagues and why would people watch the A-League in preference to their own national domestic competition.
T1m
T1m
Super Fan
Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)Super Fan (141 reputation)

nomates - 14 Jul 2019 9:47 AM

The Western Force were not kicked out because of the Japanese club.  the Japanese club is getting kicked out itself.

Edited
5 Years Ago by T1m
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

If we were to ever expand into Asia, I see that as bad news for the Nix.
RyanM
RyanM
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Burztur - 15 Jul 2019 11:38 AM

If we were to ever expand into Asia, I see that as bad news for the Nix.

Why? They'll only do it if it makes sense financially and there asset that the Nix own shares in will grow as will profits

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

RyanM - 15 Jul 2019 12:37 PM
Burztur - 15 Jul 2019 11:38 AM

Why? They'll only do it if it makes sense financially and there asset that the Nix own shares in will grow as will profits

Geographic. Put it another way, if we were to limit the HAL to 10 teams now and the 10th spot is either the Nix or a Singaporean club, I think the Singaporean club would win financially.
nomates
nomates
World Class

Burztur - 15 Jul 2019 1:55 PM
RyanM - 15 Jul 2019 12:37 PM

Geographic. Put it another way, if we were to limit the HAL to 10 teams now and the 10th spot is either the Nix or a Singaporean club, I think the Singaporean club would win financially.

That's probably true to some extent, being in the heart of Asia helps with sponsors and investors. But the independent HAL makes the argument redundant as we don't know just how financially better off the clubs are going to be in the coming years.     

Wellington Phoenix FC

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Australische A-League zoekt uitbreiding in Azië

Nu in de eigen competitie de toeschouwersaantallen zakken, willen de Australische profclubs het over een andere boeg gooien. Ze nemen de A-League in eigen handen en willen die openstellen voor buitenlandse clubs.

Google translate 

“Australian A-League is looking for expansion in Asia

Now that the number of spectators is falling in their own league, the Australian professional clubs want to take a different approach. They take the A-League into their own hands and want to open it up to foreign clubs.”
https://sportmagazine.knack.be/sport/magazine/australische-a-league-zoekt-uitbreiding-in-azie/article-normal-1489907.html

nomates
nomates
World Class

scott20won - 26 Jul 2019 4:47 AM

Australische A-League zoekt uitbreiding in Azië

Nu in de eigen competitie de toeschouwersaantallen zakken, willen de Australische profclubs het over een andere boeg gooien. Ze nemen de A-League in eigen handen en willen die openstellen voor buitenlandse clubs.

Google translate 

“Australian A-League is looking for expansion in Asia

Now that the number of spectators is falling in their own league, the Australian professional clubs want to take a different approach. They take the A-League into their own hands and want to open it up to foreign clubs.”
https://sportmagazine.knack.be/sport/magazine/australische-a-league-zoekt-uitbreiding-in-azie/article-normal-1489907.html

Yep its just a matter of time before they head overseas for financial gain, HAL will deff have a Asian club in the comp cum 2022.  

Wellington Phoenix FC

CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

The super rugby competition is one of the things contributing to Rugby Unions demise in Australia. A domestic competition played across 4 continents is absolutely stupid. Should be a lesson to the A-League as to why we shouldn’t even think about expanding into Asia, Australia is already big and hard enough to try and get around. It would be a logistical nightmare.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Surely the AFC would put an end to this silly idea before it begins?
Waz
Waz
Legend

Barca4Life - 26 Jul 2019 9:22 AM
Surely the AFC would put an end to this silly idea before it begins?

They would. And UEFA are holding back the formation of a European super league and they would not want some third world football country like Australia setting a precedent 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

The European Super League makes more sense than an Australian/Asian league, at least with the Euro league, all the main countries are no greater than the size of WA

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Waz - 26 Jul 2019 9:25 AM
Barca4Life - 26 Jul 2019 9:22 AM

They would. And UEFA are holding back the formation of a European super league and they would not want some third world football country like Australia setting a precedent 

another reason for #NixOut ;)
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Australian sports admin are so fucking clueless we really need FIFA to take control of our game like they did a while back

Maybe instead of spending hundreds of millions on building tiny stadiums we can actually use that money to buy players and be competitive in an open market

If they want to give up on the Australian market and move to Asia, then they can go overseas and manage an Asian league

Waz
Waz
Legend

Feed_The_Brox - 26 Jul 2019 9:37 AM
Waz - 26 Jul 2019 9:25 AM

another reason for #NixOut ;)

They’ll be tolerated until NZ has a pro-League I recon. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search