Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Glory Recruit - 28 Jul 2019 11:46 PM

With the exception of the Manly/Storm game, all those ratings are terrible, clearly it isn't just Football that is losing Foxtel viewers. It will be interesting to see what Foxtel's ideas for growth are if they are pulling out of Football when, clearly, putting more money into AFL/NRL and Cricket isn't going to provide any growth.

I would be very happy if 10 is serious about building a platform around football, I dont think it will immediately reap ratings but I think as a long term strategy it could be very successful. There is so much potential for growth, in the league and second division, ACL, women's football and improved men's national team.

Beaten by Eldar

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I’d watch power vs midgets 
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Eldar - 29 Jul 2019 7:51 AM
Glory Recruit - 28 Jul 2019 11:46 PM

With the exception of the Manly/Storm game, all those ratings are terrible, clearly it isn't just Football that is losing Foxtel viewers. It will be interesting to see what Foxtel's ideas for growth are if they are pulling out of Football when, clearly, putting more money into AFL/NRL and Cricket isn't going to provide any growth.

I would be very happy if 10 is serious about building a platform around football, I dont think it will immediately reap ratings but I think as a long term strategy it could be very successful. There is so much potential for growth, in the league and second division, ACL, women's football and improved men's national team.

If done correctly, TEN could have all year content with football. Obviously the Socceroos/Matildas and the A-League will probably be the main drawcards, but there is plenty of football happening around the world at any one time that they can have one sports strategy cover 12 months. Unlike the other codes, which stop abruptly at the end of their seasons, forcing the stations to fork out on other content (see channel 7 and having to pay big bucks for both AFL and cricket).
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

walnuts - 29 Jul 2019 8:48 AM
Eldar - 29 Jul 2019 7:51 AM

If done correctly, TEN could have all year content with football. Obviously the Socceroos/Matildas and the A-League will probably be the main drawcards, but there is plenty of football happening around the world at any one time that they can have one sports strategy cover 12 months. Unlike the other codes, which stop abruptly at the end of their seasons, forcing the stations to fork out on other content (see channel 7 and having to pay big bucks for both AFL and cricket).

For an interesting comparison, The Australian Rugby team playing an international test against Argentina in prime time rated 151k on 10. If we can get ratings of 100-150k to start with on the prime channel, with advertising, promotion, exposure and an improved product with independent clubs investing more, then that is a good, achievable target to begin with.

Beaten by Eldar

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

So HAL rates around half the ratings of NRL and AFL?
So pretty much the same ratio,if not better than five years ago.
I wonder if Foxsports will be reading the riot act to those sports?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Sydney FC is expecting a TV audience of more than 55 million for the game against PSG and have signed a one game front of shirt sponsorship with Chinese company Mediland Pharm.

Beaten by Eldar

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Eldar - 29 Jul 2019 12:05 PM
Sydney FC is expecting a TV audience of more than 55 million for the game against PSG and have signed a one game front of shirt sponsorship with Chinese company Mediland Pharm.

Well played and they won't have to share a cent. 

I would say it'll be more than that for sure. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

I wonder if the AFL attracted any commercial sponsorships from China at all?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

The funny thing is that I haven't heard a thing about it in the Australian media but this game alone will make SFC comfortably amongst the top 5 most watched sporting clubs in Australia this year.

Beaten by Eldar

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

“Neymar will not join his team-mates in Suzhou for PSG's friendly against Sydney on Tuesday July 30, the next stop on their Asian tour. “

https://www.google.se/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiy0MfG6dnjAhWNB5oKHWKWCZ0QzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sport-english.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2Fbarca%2Fneymar-kept-apart-again-psg-will-not-pick-him-vs-sydney-7572912&psig=AOvVaw3VGDyMlrl2abPhSSotkCro&ust=1564479261863194

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

No shit. The ultras have made it very public they dont want him as well. 

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

paladisious - 29 Jul 2019 6:15 PM

I wonder if the AFL attracted any commercial sponsorships from China at all?

Hmm good question to ask kochie haha 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

Melbcityguy - 29 Jul 2019 8:54 PM
paladisious - 29 Jul 2019 6:15 PM

Hmm good question to ask kochie haha 

Nothing from what I see BUTI would imagine they could have asked for a little bit more dough from their current partners.

See: https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/corporate/corporate-partners

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

can't tell from Port Adelaide's annual report
http://footyindustry.com/files/2018%20reports/2018%20Port%20Adelaide%20Annual%20Report.pdf

it just shows total revenue of $59 million, and it has one big number called Revenue from Football Operations totalling $32 million, but who knows what that is

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

AFL sponsorship makes some sense for Chinese companies looking for exposure in Australia but it makes zero sense for Australian companies or international companies looking for exposure outside of Australia, this is the big advantage that Football has over AFL and one that the game, and Australian companies, should take advantage of.

Beaten by Eldar

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

2019 AFL viewing figures at the lowest since Fox Sports started covering the code. 4x the investment of HAL. 

(source: Dean Rosario on twitter) 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Waz - 31 Jul 2019 6:18 AM
2019 AFL viewing figures at the lowest since Fox Sports started covering the code. 4x the investment of HAL. 

It would be interesting to see if Foxtel doubles down on NRL and AFL or if they are going to make cuts all round. The reality is, they overpaid for both but will they adjust for it directly or take it out from other expenses (I.e HAL).
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Fold the AFL
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Burztur - 31 Jul 2019 6:55 AM

It would be interesting to see if Foxtel doubles down on NRL and AFL or if they are going to make cuts all round. The reality is, they overpaid for both but will they adjust for it directly or take it out from other expenses (I.e HAL).

In terms of audience, NRL and AFL are still dominant, but I agree that they clearly overpaid for both codes (along with cricket). Next rights negotiations Foxtel will be pushing not to pay a cent more, which in economic terms is a loss for the codes. Whilst it sucks we're the whipping boy for Foxtel because of our low numbers, I think it'll be a blessing in disguise long term to rid ourselves of our dependence on Foxtel - even if it means a short term hit to the hip pocket (which is going to happen anyway with Foxtel).
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

I can’t find it now but I read an article about 2-3 years ago in which one of the (supposed) godfathers of sports broadcasting in America was interviewed. He warned that the days of mega tv rights deals would come to an end soon given that there is such a saturation and multitude of platforms to consume sport now. I’d say his prediction is coming true.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

CHEP - 31 Jul 2019 9:47 AM
I can’t find it now but I read an article about 2-3 years ago in which one of the (supposed) godfathers of sports broadcasting in America was interviewed. He warned that the days of mega tv rights deals would come to an end soon given that there is such a saturation and multitude of platforms to consume sport now. I’d say his prediction is coming true.

yes i remember this article. sports need to adapt or lose money. I still think Optus could be our ultimate saviour eventually.
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

So Foxtel dropped the NBL, I’ll be incredibly surprised if they don’t drop the A-league.

Today NBL signed a new agreement with all games on ESPN, 4 games on SBS/ondemand. NBL will take all production costs and no rights fee was paid but they’ll receive a share of advertisement. Plus the Boomers are finally on FTA. Apparently this model has worked well with netball.

That means that now the NBL is on the same channels as the NBA, and available on Kayo, Foxtel, Fetch, FTA. If you have Fetch you can get ESPN for 6 bucks a month...

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/7/30/sbs-becomes-home-of-australian-basketball-in-shock-new-broadcast-deal

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Glory Recruit - 31 Jul 2019 12:36 PM
So Foxtel dropped the NBL, I’ll be incredibly surprised if they don’t drop the A-league.

Today NBL signed a new agreement with all games on ESPN, 4 games on SBS/ondemand. NBL will take all production costs and no rights fee was paid but they’ll receive a share of advertisement. Plus the Boomers are finally on FTA. Apparently this model has worked well with netball.

couple of points.

Firstly, Foxtel recently re-signed Bozza, Archie and some of their other football broadcast members, so they don’t intend on dumping football in the short term. But obviously they look like selling a couple of games to ch 10 to save a few dollars. 

Secondly, the NBL rights were sold for zero. and the NBL are covering production costs. So unless they get some big sponsors in, they will be making a pretty big loss on this. 

Thirdly, considering how many in the media were going on about how successful the last NBL season was, it’s interesting that they have gone backwards with their TV rights deal. going from ch 9 and foxtel to SBS and ESPN is a clear backwards step.  

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 31 Jul 2019 1:17 PM

couple of points.

Firstly, Foxtel recently re-signed Bozza, Archie and some of their other football broadcast members, so they don’t intend on dumping football in the short term. But obviously they look like selling a couple of games to ch 10 to save a few dollars. 

Secondly, the NBL rights were sold for zero. and the NBL are covering production costs. So unless they get some big sponsors in, they will be making a pretty big loss on this. 

Thirdly, considering how many in the media were going on about how successful the last NBL season was, it’s interesting that they have gone backwards with their TV rights deal. going from ch 9 and foxtel to SBS and ESPN is a clear backwards step.  

And while we’re adding perspective, Game 5 of the NBL Grand Final attracted 50k viewers while a HAL GF will pull 500k. They’ not directly comparable despite many similarities. 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 31 Jul 2019 1:17 PM

couple of points.

They won’t drop the AL now, they will once the broadcast agreement is over.

Foxtel and nine didnt pay for broadcast costs either.

Seems better to me, more games on FTA, same channel as NBA, it’s still on foxtel, and Kayo, just not Foxsports, all games in HD, Fetch access
Edited
5 Years Ago by Glory Recruit
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Ffa Cup didn’t make top 20 last night 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

cuts out at 29k
here's the top 5
1GRAND DESIGNS AUSTRALIALifestyle Channel66,000
2LIVE: AFL 360FOX FOOTY63,000
3PAUL MURRAY LIVESky News Live62,000
4LIVE: NRL 360FOX LEAGUE55,000
5THE BOLT REPORTSky News Live53,000

surely we can get above the Bolt Report??!

Waz
Waz
Legend

bettega - 8 Aug 2019 12:32 PM
cuts out at 29k
here's the top 5
1GRAND DESIGNS AUSTRALIALifestyle Channel66,000
2LIVE: AFL 360FOX FOOTY63,000
3PAUL MURRAY LIVESky News Live62,000
4LIVE: NRL 360FOX LEAGUE55,000
5THE BOLT REPORTSky News Live53,000

surely we can get above the Bolt Report??!

Why would it when people are watching on Kayo and Telstra and those numbers aren’t counted. 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Its pretty dumb by Foxsports to only let subscribers watch one game on GO,when FFA and Telstra allowed you to stream the other games as well.
So although i pay for Foxtel,i had to go to FFA's website to watch the Roar game for free on my tablet.
What type of business model is that?
Surely something else is going on?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Haha......that is the Foxtel audience now, AFL, NRL and the Bolt Report. 

Beaten by Eldar

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search