Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2018-19

Author
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
nomates - 14 Aug 2019 6:03 PM
NBL gave there FTA rights away for nothing other then advertisement money but however Fox Sports still play them $50m a year. HAL will be behind both NBL and Rugby next year. That  NBL advertisement money would easily be over $10m a year. 

Why do just make stuff up and post bull shit all the time 
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Midfielder - 14 Aug 2019 9:39 PM
nomates - 14 Aug 2019 6:03 PM

Why do just make stuff up and post bull shit all the time 

Soccer's A-League has been the biggest loser in the Australian sporting market.

Fox Sports has been leaking viewers for its A-League broadcasts according to published numbers collated by the website www.footyindustry.com.

Last season it averaged 33,000 viewers per match with some games drawing as few as 10,000 fans.

"The A-League has really under-performed for years," Mr Perry said.

Fox Sports still has the rights to the A-League, but a new free-to-air deal is currently being negotiated.

Mr Perry believes the A-League should consider a model like the one embraced by basketball and netball.

"I think this is a model that the A-League really should be looking at, because Foxtel have made it clear that the A-League is just not financially viable for them anymore," Mr Perry said.

"Niche sports have to be prepared to take on their own TV productions and work on their own revenue share model, rather than just expecting broadcasters to pay for the rights," he said.

Loeliger agreed: "I think it will become more the norm than the exception."

"I think more and more second-tier sports are looking at how to most effectively not just monetise but control there content," he said

Wellington Phoenix FC

Edited
5 Years Ago by nomates
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

nomates - 14 Aug 2019 11:29 PM
Midfielder - 14 Aug 2019 9:39 PM

Soccer's A-League has been the biggest loser in the Australian sporting market.

Fox Sports has been leaking viewers for its A-League broadcasts according to published numbers collated by the website www.footyindustry.com.

Last season it averaged 33,000 viewers per match with some games drawing as few as 10,000 fans.

"The A-League has really under-performed for years," Mr Perry said.

Fox Sports still has the rights to the A-League, but a new free-to-air deal is currently being negotiated.

Mr Perry believes the A-League should consider a model like the one embraced by basketball and netball.

"I think this is a model that the A-League really should be looking at, because Foxtel have made it clear that the A-League is just not financially viable for them anymore," Mr Perry said.

"Niche sports have to be prepared to take on their own TV productions and work on their own revenue share model, rather than just expecting broadcasters to pay for the rights," he said.

Loeliger agreed: "I think it will become more the norm than the exception."

"I think more and more second-tier sports are looking at how to most effectively not just monetise but control there content," he said

But, but .... viewership of the HAL is still 2-3 times that of the NBL (and that’s before Telstra and Kayo are factored in). 

So HAL value >>> NBL 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

An average of 33k is pretty low, I didn't realise it had got that low, with some games drawing as low as 10k, maybe Nix games?

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I don’t understand why people who hate the a league spend their time posting on a league forum 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 15 Aug 2019 7:53 AM
I don’t understand why people who hate the a league spend their time posting on a league forum 

Who hates the A-League?

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

yep. no mates has gone full negative troll. 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 15 Aug 2019 9:37 AM

Doesn't he support the Nix?

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

No way am I Mr Neg I'm just posting what's out there and how it is. I cant stand other sports like NBL or Rugby but they seem to be heading in the right direction. Rugbys next TV deal is set to be around $80m to $100m a season while NBL have TV deals with ESPN and SBS after fox dumped them.

Wellington Phoenix FC

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

nomates - 15 Aug 2019 4:03 PM

No way am I Mr Neg I'm just posting what's out there and how it is. I cant stand other sports like NBL or Rugby but they seem to be heading in the right direction. Rugbys next TV deal is set to be around $80m to $100m a season while NBL have TV deals with ESPN and SBS after fox dumped them.

You do realise the NBL deal is for free, right? No money is changing hands.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

nomates - 15 Aug 2019 4:03 PM

as I have said previously, i don't believe the NBL is moving in the right direction if you factor in their new TV deal. its a big step backwards.

As for Rugby... I highly doubt they will get the $80-$100 million they want. This is the same amount the FFA wanted last time around and fell well short. Plus trends suggest the money has dried up.

bettega
bettega
World Class

Speaking of media rights, this is a really interesting story:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-in-talks-to-extend-tv-deal-with-seven-by-two-years-20190816-p52hvi.html

AFL in talks to extend TV deal with Seven by two years

So even though there's another three years left on their current 6 year deal, they're already looking for a two year extension, for the FTA part of the deal.

They're basically aiming to get the same amount of  money.  This is a clear indication that even the AFL is expecting their broadcast revenue to decline next time round, and are getting in early for one more big pay day.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

bettega - 16 Aug 2019 10:51 PM
Speaking of media rights, this is a really interesting story:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-in-talks-to-extend-tv-deal-with-seven-by-two-years-20190816-p52hvi.html

AFL in talks to extend TV deal with Seven by two years

So even though there's another three years left on their current 6 year deal, they're already looking for a two year extension, for the FTA part of the deal.

They're basically aiming to get the same amount of  money.  This is a clear indication that even the AFL is expecting their broadcast revenue to decline next time round, and are getting in early for one more big pay day.

Or it could also mean the AFL is expecting other codes to pick up some rating but loose revenue. Which would effect their deal...

Rugby is in a very poor position in Australia, their media deal is via a collective called SANZAR of Australian, South Africa & New Zealand Admins, but the eyeballs are essentially in South Africa and Europe. The rating in Australia & NZ don't bring in the big dollars. Some issues are the SA team is losing players to Europe and the SA government wants quoters of black to white players and its effecting the quality of play and some of previous SA Super Rugby teams are now playing in a European competition. If SA jumps to Europe as many are suggesting Rugby in Australia will almost die overnight. 

But Basketball, Netball and hopefully Football are growing their base and League despite everything is holding its own.
bettega
bettega
World Class

They got their lowest Friday night rating for the year last night (according to Sports Industry)

nomates
nomates
World Class

Midfielder - 17 Aug 2019 1:19 AM
bettega - 16 Aug 2019 10:51 PM

Or it could also mean the AFL is expecting other codes to pick up some rating but loose revenue. Which would effect their deal...

Rugby is in a very poor position in Australia, their media deal is via a collective called SANZAR of Australian, South Africa & New Zealand Admins, but the eyeballs are essentially in South Africa and Europe. The rating in Australia & NZ don't bring in the big dollars. Some issues are the SA team is losing players to Europe and the SA government wants quoters of black to white players and its effecting the quality of play and some of previous SA Super Rugby teams are now playing in a European competition. If SA jumps to Europe as many are suggesting Rugby in Australia will almost die overnight. 

But Basketball, Netball and hopefully Football are growing their base and League despite everything is holding its own.

I really think the ARU will get there $100mil a year deal leaving nothing for HAL.

Wellington Phoenix FC

bettega
bettega
World Class

nomates - 17 Aug 2019 11:31 AM
Midfielder - 17 Aug 2019 1:19 AM

I really think the ARU will get there $100mil a year deal leaving nothing for HAL.

It's a difficult question.  The thing is, the overseas rights are now worth more than the Australian rights.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-figures-that-should-send-shockwaves-through-the-nrl-20190818-p52i8x.html

TV ratings down by 3 million viewers on this time last year. Down 15% in NZ

Beaten by Eldar

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Yeah, but sure let's be held hostage by Foxtel and their terrible ideas on expansion rofl.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Eldar - 18 Aug 2019 9:09 PM
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-figures-that-should-send-shockwaves-through-the-nrl-20190818-p52i8x.html

TV ratings down by 3 million viewers on this time last year. Down 15% in NZ

NRL struggling ng badly. Will we see Fox go public on them? 

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Waz - 18 Aug 2019 10:32 PM
Eldar - 18 Aug 2019 9:09 PM

NRL struggling ng badly. Will we see Fox go public on them? 

Its only down on last year, its about the same as the year before.  The NRL isnt struggling unless it becomes a trend over several years.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

jatz - 19 Aug 2019 12:59 AM
Waz - 18 Aug 2019 10:32 PM

Its only down on last year, its about the same as the year before.  The NRL isnt struggling unless it becomes a trend over several years.

Its struggling if it is hoping to grow its TV deal in a market that is looking to cut costs. 

Beaten by Eldar

nomates
nomates
World Class

Wallabies v NZ - 530,000 metro + Regional.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

nomates - 19 Aug 2019 9:55 AM
Wallabies v NZ - 530,000 metro + Regional.

Nice try,  but , Metro last test 535k metro this test 320k, 

Why don't you start a Union thread or go to the Union tab 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Midfielder - 19 Aug 2019 11:00 AM
nomates - 19 Aug 2019 9:55 AM

Nice try,  but , Metro last test 535k metro this test 320k, 

Why don't you start a Union thread or go to the Union tab 

i don't get what kicks trolling gives for people online 
bettega
bettega
World Class

it's the off season, I'm not fussed about seeing the wallabies ratings

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

wow the afl grand final was very close to clashing with the wallabies second world cup match that would of been interesting! 
bettega
bettega
World Class

Big news story,

Seven West Media crashes to a $444 million loss as TV assets continue to lose value

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/seven-west-media-big-loss-as-media-assets-continue-to-lose-value/11431362

There's a big opportunity for Ten to market itself to 2 million football participants and their families and close the gap on the bigger networks.  In turn, this will create big revenue opportunities for the A-League.

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

bettega - 20 Aug 2019 5:55 PM
Big news story,

Seven West Media crashes to a $444 million loss as TV assets continue to lose value

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/seven-west-media-big-loss-as-media-assets-continue-to-lose-value/11431362

There's a big opportunity for Ten to market itself to 2 million football participants and their families and close the gap on the bigger networks.  In turn, this will create big revenue opportunities for the A-League.

lol

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Could it be that tv execs are lovers of particular sports and therefore are conflicted into offering big money(which is not theirs) to prop up their desired sport(s)?

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Part of the problem for FTA is they need to make a quantum shift into the new media era, with younger audiences, niche/targeted programming, streaming, content sales etc and they are stuck overpaying for mature sports with flatlining audiences, reality TV and content that has limited youth and international appeal.

It is actually one of Footballs great strengths at the moment that it is so undervalued for a game that is hugely popular at both viewing and participant levels, has a strong avid following, particularly among young and multi-ethnic audiences and is by far the most globally integrated sport in the world.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search