4th test

4th test

Author
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 5 Sep 2019 11:24 AM
City Sam - 5 Sep 2019 10:45 AM

Good to see you back posting, CS.

Labu would be a very useful long term number 3 for us as he can bowl reasonable leggies too and is a good fielder.

The key to our batting woes is to find a leggy who apparently can't bat. That strategy is working out well so far
Edited
5 Years Ago by City Sam
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

gogos - 5 Sep 2019 11:24 AM

Boycott said Smith can't bat 7 or 8 years ago. He said was merely County standard.

Stokes got very lucky. Day 4 pitch was best of match. Bowlers were tired. Poor umpiring. Short rope.

Seen many better innings from Lara or Sachin. Even Smith's knocks in test 1 were better. Much tougher conditions, better bowling, not played for 18 months.

Scoring 135 on a good pitch against tired bowlers with heaps of luck doesn't rate in the top 10.

Waugh 200 against the Windies in the 90s against a great attack far better.

The current Aussie attack isnt that good.Lyon averages over 30. Hazelwood is mostly a new ball bowling. Struggles after. Cummins is hot and cold. Pattinson is no Ambrose.

Boycott is full of it.

I think our bowling attack is good, Cummins has been ridiculously consistent for a while and is a top 2 bowler in the world and we got a number of good options around him.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

City Sam - 5 Sep 2019 12:19 PM

I think our bowling attack is good, Cummins has been ridiculously consistent for a while and is a top 2 bowler in the world and we got a number of good options around him.

Yeah, Bumrah, Archer, Cummins and Rabada seem to be forming their own lil competition, like Dev, Botham, Khan, Hadlee had, or Root, Kohli, Williamson and Smith have.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 12:21 PM
City Sam - 5 Sep 2019 12:19 PM

Yeah, Bumrah, Archer, Cummins and Rabada seem to be forming their own lil competition, like Dev, Botham, Khan, Hadlee had, or Root, Kohli, Williamson and Smith have.

Archer is only one and a half Tests into his career ATM, Paddles.

If he bowls as well as he did in the first innings of  his first Test, which was Test 3 of this Ashes series, then he is a stand out.  He hasn't even played a complete Test series at this point of his career though to consider him as one of the world's top bowlers.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
gogos - 5 Sep 2019 9:55 AM
gogos - 5 Sep 2019 9:32 AM

Tim Tam
Speaking 7/10
Keeping 4/10
Batting 2/10
Drs 0/10

Awful series.
Needs to be axed.

His keeping has been better than  4 out of 10.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class

Decentric - 5 Sep 2019 12:33 PM

If he bowls as well as he did in the first innings of  his first Test, which was Test 3 of this Ashes series, then he is a stand out.  He hasn't even played a complete Test series at this point of his career though to consider him as one of the world's top bowlers.

He doesn't seem to have the stamina, looked absolutely rubbish this test so far all be it he is very young still. My feel is he will be a similar player to Starc, unstoppable on his day and crap the next.

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 5 Sep 2019 12:33 PM

But he is a superstar already, and was before he played a single test. I upped him before his debut, I still up him now. You can better believe he is following the fortunes of Bumrah, Cummins and Rabada. And you can be damn sure they're following him. The list has nothing to do with "top" bowlers, or I would have included Abbas and Philander. Its their age bracket, and their bowling style. Abbas, and 29, is too slow to compare, ditto Philander who is much much older. Ditto with Holder, though still youngish at 27, is slower and an allrounder to boot. 

When KW, Root, Williamson and Smith formed as a thing written by Crowe in 2014, the best batsmen in the world were KP, Sanga, Clarke, Amla and ABdV etc. Crowe just said, this is the next generation of greats. At the time, KW and Smith were averaging in the 30's, and only Root over 50.

But Archer, Bumrah, Cummins and Rabada is where all the future anticipation of fast bowling excitement lies right now. 

https://sport360.com/article/cricket/international-cricket/333614/jofra-archer-jasprit-bumrah-pat-cummins-and-kagiso-rabada-give-a-new-meaning-to-fab-four

You also mean test 2, this is his third test.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Good to see you back posting, CS.

Labu would be a very useful long term number 3 for us as he can bowl reasonable leggies too and is a good fielder.

There may have been some luck, but you can’t take it away from Stokes that he got the job done under enormous pressure. England all out for 67 in first innings, not expected to win. Then 9 wickets down in second innings - not expected to win. He rotated the strike intelligently, protected his number 11, kept the scoring rate up. Psychologically, England had been hammered, yet he single-handledly won them a game they should not have won. Maybe not from a purist’s view, but from a never-say-die view, you can’t fault it.

Here’s an idea for you: Carey to open. He’s done it in white ball.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

ThingyBob - 5 Sep 2019 2:52 PM

There may have been some luck, but you can’t take it away from Stokes that he got the job done under enormous pressure. England all out for 67 in first innings, not expected to win. Then 9 wickets down in second innings - not expected to win. He rotated the strike intelligently, protected his number 11, kept the scoring rate up. Psychologically, England had been hammered, yet he single-handledly won them a game they should not have won. Maybe not from a purist’s view, but from a never-say-die view, you can’t fault it.

Here’s an idea for you: Carey to open. He’s done it in white ball.

No. To Carey opening. You have young openers to continue trying. And Joe Burns is still a thing too.

Carey should be your keeper, though. If Aus don't win this Ashes, he has to be axed.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Scoring 135 on a good pitch against tired bowlers with heaps of luck doesn't rate in the top 10.

I wrote same on other forum and was shot down in flames. "the greatest ever test match innings" they gushed. Bull.. it was a terrific white ball innings. Dozens have probably done something similar in ODI matches but as this was a test match it gets more publicity.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

How good is Marnus Lasagne as a batsman?

That's really my question from this Ashes so far. 

4 50's on the trot is not to be laughed at, even if no Anderson. This is still England with a Dukes ball.

How good is this kid? Thoughts.

Id this just a purple vein of form, or is a star emerging. Cos there is nothing in his domestic or past to suggest star material. So how is he making all these runs so consistently?

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 5 Sep 2019 3:53 PM

I wrote same on other forum and was shot down in flames. "the greatest ever test match innings" they chided. Bull.. it was a terrific white ball innings. Dozens have probably done something similar in ODI matches but as this was a test match it gets more publicity.

LOL. I kinda like your angle here. I think it needs refinement. But I hear you.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 3:15 PM
ThingyBob - 5 Sep 2019 2:52 PM

No. To Carey opening. You have young openers to continue trying. And Joe Burns is still a thing too.

Carey should be your keeper, though. If Aus don't win this Ashes, he has to be axed.

Continue with Bancroft and Harris? Not Bancroft until he rectifies falling across his front pad and Harris who does not seem to be able to pass 30 before he throws away his wicket. There simply is a dearth of quality openers at home. I hope Renshaw hits back this summer. He is one of my long term openers.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 5 Sep 2019 3:58 PM
Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 3:15 PM

Continue with Bancroft and Harris? Not Bancroft until he rectifies falling across his front pad and Harris who does not seem to be able to pass 30 before he throws away his wicket. There simply is a dearth of quality openers at home. I hope Renshaw hits back this summer. He is one of my long term openers.

There was a scratch in my mind and I couldn’t place it. Renshaw. Thank you. Reminds me of Bairstow. But isn’t he another leftie?? 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ThingyBob - 5 Sep 2019 4:18 PM
baggygreenmania - 5 Sep 2019 3:58 PM

There was a scratch in my mind and I couldn’t place it. Renshaw. Thank you. Reminds me of Bairstow. But isn’t he another leftie?? 

Yes Renshaw is a lefty Bairstow is a r/hander.. England keeper?

btw welcome to the forum.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class

Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 3:54 PM
How good is Marnus Lasagne as a batsman?

That's really my question from this Ashes so far. 

4 50's on the trot is not to be laughed at, even if no Anderson. This is still England with a Dukes ball.

How good is this kid? Thoughts.

Id this just a purple vein of form, or is a star emerging. Cos there is nothing in his domestic or past to suggest star material. So how is he making all these runs so consistently?

His technique looks solid and even from his initial debut he seems to have a good temperament. Which is something you want from a number 3, not sure if he will be a star but seems he will at least be a decent player.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 5 Sep 2019 4:28 PM
ThingyBob - 5 Sep 2019 4:18 PM

Yes Renshaw is a lefty Bairstow is a r/hander.. England keeper?

btw welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I know who Bairstow is! :p Renshaw reminds me of him because they are both physically imposing! Matthew Hayden-seque
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

ThingyBob - 5 Sep 2019 4:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I know who Bairstow is! :p Renshaw reminds me of him because they are both physically imposing! Matthew Hayden-seque

Unlike Labuschagne who is undistinguished in every way except for balls of steel and self belief, it seems.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

City Sam - 5 Sep 2019 4:31 PM
Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 3:54 PM

His technique looks solid and even from his initial debut he seems to have a good temperament. Which is something you want from a number 3, not sure if he will be a star but seems he will at least be a decent player.

He sure has been the surprise packet for us. And to think had Smith not been clocked by that Archer bouncer he may never have played. I like his character and attitude and his passion for the baggy green. Evidently he is bit like Smithy.. meticulous in his training and preparation. I am also hearing he is a bit of a pest.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I was not being flippant. Sorry if it came across as that. I dont regard Renshaw as Hayden-esque.. is not as imposing as Hados. I have never seen Renners march down the track and try to smack a perfectly good Test paceman back over his head. Perhaps Stokes is more Hayden-esque than Bairstow. 
Edited
gogos
gogos
Under 7s
Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)

Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 12:10 PM

I find Lyon interesting

Boycott still has a responsibility to sell the game, as much as be critical. Nathan Lyon is going to become an interesting case, though about where he stands. Cos he will end up being the second highest wicket taker for a finger spinner. Clearly he no Murali. And I don't think he rates too well with Laker, Underwood, Gibbs, or doosra inventer Mushtaq. That's before considering any of the famous Indian spinners. But Lyon is going to clear all these guys by hundreds and hundreds of wickets if he remains in the team till non-injury retirement. 

Lyon unfortunately, and it looked like Cook would till until retiring young, really display that the career tallies now of India, Aus and Eng, is only a  3 way current contest, and the past greats of those 3 countries, and all countries, are not in the running. SL do typpically play more tests than anyone not in the Rich 3, though. Hence Herath and Murali getting the chances they did. 

Current FTP cycle:

• India (203): 51 Tests, 83 ODIs, 69 T20Is
  • West Indies (186): 43 Tests, 75 ODIs, 68 T20Is
  • England (175): 59 Tests, 66 ODIs, 50T20Is
  • Australia (174): 47 Tests, 68 ODIs, 59 T20Is
  • Pakistan (164): 40 Tests, 61 ODIs, 63 T20Is
  • South Africa (160): 38 Tests, 66 ODIs, 56 T20Is
  • Sri Lanka (160): 43 Tests, 71 ODIs, 66 T20Is
  • Bangladesh (160): 44 Tests, 59 ODIs, 57 T20Is
  • New Zealand (159): 38 Tests, 62 ODIs, 59 T20Is
  • Ireland (142): 13 Tests, 64 ODIs, 65 T20Is
  • Zimbabwe (130): 21 Tests, 59 ODIs, 50 T20Is
  • Afghanistan (109): 13 Tests, 51 ODIs, 45 T20Is
  • The Netherlands (33): 24 ODIs, 9 T20Is

The saddest part of this list to me is Safrica and NZ. How on earth we get so many less games than WI, Bangladesh is just beyond me. Rabada will never get to rival Broad and Anderson. Kane Williamson may never get to rival Alastair Cook. All seems a lil odd to me. 

You can see from this list, Joe Root should end up scoring more test runs than Smith, Kohli and Williamson, despite having an averge under 50.

But it is interesting that Australia is allowing a game to grow to them and Ind/Eng. If CA care about this, at some point, CA is going to have to take on AFL, and League, and look to share all of March. An obvious difference is England will play a test series before hoisting the Ashes, or this year an entire world cup and an Irish test, where as Australia will just play 5 tests. England normally play about 7, even if hosting ICC events likr Champions Trophy! They just let football be football. 

But you guys share grounds. It could be time to look at some smaller intl grounds for lesser tours. 

Lyon bowls ok but his 2nd innings stats are poor. Aussie off spinners are crap so no competition. He would struggle to get a game if he was Indian.

Mcgrath was way better than any current quick as well.

Dale Steyn was better as well plus all the big names from 70s, 80s and 90s.

World cricket is weak atm.

gogos
gogos
Under 7s
Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)Under 7s (9 reputation)

gogos - 5 Sep 2019 7:45 PM
Paddles - 5 Sep 2019 12:10 PM

Lyon bowls ok but his 2nd innings stats are poor. Aussie off spinners are crap so no competition. He would struggle to get a game if he was Indian.

Mcgrath was way better than any current quick as well.

Dale Steyn was better as well plus all the big names from 70s, 80s and 90s.

World cricket is weak atm.

No way Smith avgs 63 if he was playing in the 80s. The bowlers were better, bats not as good and pitches tough to bat on. His avg would be 50 or so.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 5 Sep 2019 5:40 PM

I was not being flippant. Sorry if it came across as that. I dont regard Renshaw as Hayden-esque.. is not as imposing as Hados. I have never seen Renners march down the track and try to smack a perfectly good Test paceman back over his head. Perhaps Stokes is more Hayden-esque than Bairstow. 

I am thinking we will be looking at 350 from here. As long as Smith remains even more is possible. The others have to lift and stay with the master batsman.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Head goes. Broad round the wicket aiming for the stumps

ARNIE= LEGEND

JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Will somebody other than Smith please stand up for once? Been the same story for 4 years or so now, yawn.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Smith with another 100. Incredible. 26th test hundred- how many more can he get?

ARNIE= LEGEND

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

What can we say about Steven Smith that has not already been said ad nauseum.  Here is a little stat that does not surprise me but is nevertheless special.
If (when) Smith reaches 135* he will have scored 5620 runs in his last 50 tests. A figure exceeded only by Bradman (whose 50-test best was 6977).

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

RedKat - 5 Sep 2019 8:23 PM
Head goes. Broad round the wicket aiming for the stumps

Brain explosion by Wade. Reckon he just saw his recall go down the gurgler with that shocker.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

should get at least a par score here!

We've done ok through labu smith and so far paine
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

new ball taken

can we last 10 overs with no loss and get a big score?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search