Official AUFC Thread

Official AUFC Thread

Author
a1118868
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Another point sort of on the Ange situation - the lack of communication between Vidmar and the players worries me a little bit. I'm not slating Vidmar, I obviously think he's done very well, but when Salley announced his intention to leave, he said something about being out of the team and no-one telling saying anything about it to him. Now Costanzo has said something similar.

I know it's Viddie's perogative to pick who he likes and he shouldn't have to tell you why you're not in the side, but surely some of the reported ugliness about this situation could be avoided by pulling Ange to one side, telling him that Cornflakes will be taking his spot in the side for the time being, and reassuring him that with all the matches coming up his chance to establish himself will come again.
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

OT- Does anyone know how Ago went in his Youth League match. I'm assuming he didn't get on the score sheet :roll:
Timmo
Timmo
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Ted Jefferys wrote:
OT- Does anyone know how Ago went in his Youth League match. I'm assuming he didn't get on the score sheet :roll:

Just in from the Adelaide online advertiser "Agostino could be today annoucing his retirement"

What do you's guys and gals think?
manchester12
manchester12
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Timmo wrote:
Ted Jefferys wrote:

Just in from the Adelaide online advertiser "Agostino could be today annoucing his retirement"

It's confirmed
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

a1118868 wrote:
Another point sort of on the Ange situation - the lack of communication between Vidmar and the players worries me a little bit. I'm not slating Vidmar, I obviously think he's done very well, but when Salley announced his intention to leave, he said something about being out of the team and no-one telling saying anything about it to him. Now Costanzo has said something similar.

I know it's Viddie's perogative to pick who he likes and he shouldn't have to tell you why you're not in the side, but surely some of the reported ugliness about this situation could be avoided by pulling Ange to one side, telling him that Cornflakes will be taking his spot in the side for the time being, and reassuring him that with all the matches coming up chance to establish himself will come again.

I say going through what I heard, that is a load of crapola (the lack of communcation side) - do you honstely think that Ange and Salley were not told and yet both Ago and Mikey V knew where they stood, not likley!. Sounds to me like a couple of players who thought they were 'untouchable' have their egos dentented and dont like it much - Chritaino and Sarkies almost went that way but responded after being droped and told to pull their heads in, Bajic, Budjea and Aguis attitude was poor and hence why they were not kept on....why should these two be any differnt.

TBH I am glad to see that when we need Viddie to make the hard calls (the ones that are as correct as they are unpopular) that he will, as well as not allowing egos to overun the club and that the players know he is the boss, not them. Alot were questioning if he could do that being an ex-team mate of most of the senior players.

As for Ago - I hope whatever he does is successful post football

Edited by unitedgal: 30/12/2008 01:14:45 PM

Edited by unitedgal: 30/12/2008 01:17:01 PM
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
manchester12 wrote:
Timmo wrote:
Ted Jefferys wrote:

It's confirmed

Link Please if available?
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Found it
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24855744-12428,00.html

news.com wrote:
Agostino to call it a day
Article from: VAL MIGLIACCIO
December 30, 2008 10:55am
ADELAIDE United's marquee player Paul Agostino will announce his retirement at Hindmarsh Stadium this morning.

The former Socceroo, who has had an illustrious career in Europe - particularly with 1860 TSV Munich - has struggled with injury since joining the Reds in 2007.

Agostino has played just 15 A-League matches for United and scored four goals in 18 months.

The striker, who was world renown for bullet-like heading ability, has succumbed to a variety of injuries including recovering from a broken foot, adductor strains, torn calf muscles and driver strains since he landed in Adelaide last year.

a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

4 in 15... including a lot of substitute appearances and never having a proper run of games. Not a bad strike rate. Shame he couldn't get on the pitch regularly. All the best Ago.

Let the shopping begin...
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Ross Aloisi said on Fox Sports FC tonight that Ognenovski was heading to somewhere in Asia that wasn't Japan, and that it was virtually a done deal. Disappointing for mine, as he has really shored up our defence this season. If he goes, I can see our central defensive partnership next season being Cornthwaite and Fyfe - which is a bloody accident prone backline.

If Og goes, I think our first priority in new signings should be a centre half. Is there any chance that Leijer could be available?
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

a1118868 wrote:
Ross Aloisi said on Fox Sports FC tonight that Ognenovski was heading to somewhere in Asia that wasn't Japan, and that it was virtually a done deal. Disappointing for mine, as he has really shored up our defence this season.

I heard him say that too. Apart from trying to show how well connected he is by giving away club and player info (= prat!) I can only hope that his info is a good as his apallingly bad, monotone, "I could have done that better" commentary. I'd like to remember Ross for the good displays (don't mention the GF) he put in for Adelaide instead of his - hopefully short - media career. Sack him Fox!

If Og goes we're in trouble. His presence breeds confidence in the back four.
loki
loki
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

a1118868 wrote:

If Og goes, I think our first priority in new signings should be a centre half. Is there any chance that Leijer could be available?

Highly unlikely, he'll be loaned out by Fulham but they're keeping his contract and would probably want him playing in Championship or Div 1 where they can track him easier. Considering the main reason for loaning him out is to get him more match time i also think our season is far too short.

The chances of him coming back to the A-league next season are very low, the chances of him coming back and playing a season for a club other than Victory are extremely low. Better to focus on players like Chris Coyne.
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Og looks as good as gone now his media outburst in today's paper. Does anyone know whether he's likely to stay until the end of the season if/when Seongnam do sign him?
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

a1118868 wrote:
Ross Aloisi said on Fox Sports FC tonight that Ognenovski was heading to somewhere in Asia that wasn't Japan, and that it was virtually a done deal. Disappointing for mine, as he has really shored up our defence this season. If he goes, I can see our central defensive partnership next season being Cornthwaite and Fyfe - which is a bloody accident prone backline.

I'm pissed off cause I just got him on the back of my shirt. ](*,)
.:bp:.
.:bp:.
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Ted Jefferys wrote:
a1118868 wrote:

I'm pissed off cause I just got him on the back of my shirt. ](*,)

Shirts offically a hardcourt classic.

Edited by .:bp:.: 2/1/2009 02:53:39 PM

Edited by .:bp:.: 2/1/2009 02:53:57 PM
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

Does anyone have the feeling that John Aloisi will leave Sydney and return to his hometown, Adelaide and grab the marquee spot :(
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Ha! We already have a slow, ageing forward - except ours scores goals! Go Cristiano.

Can't see where Aloisi would fit. Don't need him.

Edited by Jessesdad: 2/1/2009 05:51:45 PM
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

I wonder what odds you would have got shortly after the death of the NSL on only 1 of the 4 Aloisi and Vidmar boys playing for United in the A-League, and none of them ending their career doing so...
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

Lol.

But Agostino and Aloisi are so similar.

I still think Aloisi has some good football left in him though. Maybe a change of club will do him well.

Unfortunately for him it will be extremely hard for him to win over the fans, if it's possible.
leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Yay 2009...!

It's nice to see an AUFC thread...once upon a time there were not much South Aussie's at FFT now there are many of us.
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Have updated my post on player movements on page 1 to include the latest on the Ogmonster - apparently FC Seoul have joined the race to sign him... by offering $25k LESS than what Seongnam did. Err... no thanks.
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

Just read your player movement post :cool:
Good work with it.
I didn't know Ante was lined up if Eugene left. IMO we would of been fine with Birighitti our #1 Keeper.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

If you bastards get Covic. :evil:
And Mrdja as well I will be majorly pissed. Wew are talks with them both ATM.

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

I don't really mind if we get either of them.

IMO Younis and Birighitti will be better than them!
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

wasnt the greatest game but with our workload comming up after the workload we have had im settling for us winning any way we can

I like Younis but he doesnt take the defenders on when requred - twice he had the ball on the edge of the pentlty but didnt take them on like he should
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

I didn't see the game last night, but from what I heard it was more of the same - 4-5-1, keeping it tight, pinching a goal or two, taking the 3 points. After a few similarly dour performances Viddie went to a 4-3-3 against the Phoenix and destroyed them. So my question is:

Do you think Viddie has gone back to the 4-5-1 to try and conserve a bit of energy over the next couple of weeks, or do you think it is his preferred formation? Unfortunately, I feel that the latter is more likely, and I think it may end up costing us. Although the system (just not the players in it) worked last season, fact is that we just don't have a Djite now to play the lone role up front. Cristiano is a good poacher, but just not suited to the hold up role. I just think if we went to a 4-3-3 permanently, with Dodd and Cassio flanking Cristiano, and three central midfielders sitting a bit deeper in Diego, Barbiero and Reid (Sarkies and Salley as back up), we could really tear through any side in the league, without losing our defensive shape.

Thoughts?
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Ted Jefferys wrote:
Just read your player movement post :cool:
Good work with it.
I didn't know Ante was lined up if Eugene left. IMO we would of been fine with Birighitti our #1 Keeper.

Quite an old rumour now, so not sure how true it is. But until I hear or read something to either substantiate or discredit it, I'll leave it up there.
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro

a1118868 wrote:
I didn't see the game last night, but from what I heard it was more of the same - 4-5-1, keeping it tight, pinching a goal or two, taking the 3 points. After a few similarly dour performances Viddie went to a 4-3-3 against the Phoenix and destroyed them. So my question is:

Do you think Viddie has gone back to the 4-5-1 to try and conserve a bit of energy over the next couple of weeks, or do you think it is his preferred formation? Unfortunately, I feel that the latter is more likely, and I think it may end up costing us. Although the system (just not the players in it) worked last season, fact is that we just don't have a Djite now to play the lone role up front. Cristiano is a good poacher, but just not suited to the hold up role. I just think if we went to a 4-3-3 permanently, with Dodd and Cassio flanking Cristiano, and three central midfielders sitting a bit deeper in Diego, Barbiero and Reid (Sarkies and Salley as back up), we could really tear through any side in the league, without losing our defensive shape.

Thoughts?

Id say more of a conserving energy mode....we have had the scheduel from hell with not letting it up . Dont forget, we also got CCM and Welly away from home last two days after having 5 games in two weeks. Really we should be happy with just winning as you are not always able or allowed to win pretty or win 10-0....these next 3 weeks may be one of those occasions. Our coaching and medical staff will need to be on the ball in terms of recovery and how we handle the boys betwen games - and so far they have done a wonderfull job!

and you say its unfortunate.......sure who would want to be top of the ladder and make an ACL final in the process....I wouldnt

Edited by unitedgal: 4/1/2009 02:19:12 PM
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

We usually play 4-5-1 anyway. I have to say I thought he (Viddie) would've gone more attacking seeing he knew it was going to be our biggest crowd of the season.

Does anyone know what's wrong with Diego. He wasn't out there last night?
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Diego has some muscle strain. Adductor or something. I reckon Tuesday might be too soon for him, but hopefully he'll be available within the next week or two.

When I said unfortunately, I only meant because I don't think 4-5-1 the formation that suits our players best - obviously our results have been outstanding, but I think we could play a lot better going with 4-3-3, as we did against the Nix. At the moment, I know it's about conserving energy as much as anything else, I just hope that Viddie unleashes some more attacking fury when the workload lightens a bit.

TO think that we are not currently playing anywhere near our potential is a bit of a scary thought, but I think it's true!
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

At least it's not his back done again.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search