Sri Lanka and Pakistan in Australia 2019/20

Sri Lanka and Pakistan in Australia 2019/20

Author
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 22 Nov 2019 8:10 AM
ThingyBob - 20 Nov 2019 3:11 PM

So you are from Tassie. When did you move to WA.

Coming up 24 years. I had a friend get me on the list for SCG membership then changed my mind and moved here when I got into a particular uni course.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

ThingyBob - 20 Nov 2019 3:11 PM
baggygreenmania - 17 Nov 2019 9:02 AM

Haha good stuff. No wonder you are so fond of the Ashes! 
I stand corrected on my tuxedo gentlemen of yore.
One of the first matches I attended was the Pakistan Aus tri series at Bellerive that ended in a tie. Featured most of the World Cup winning Pakistan line up. I became a TCA junior member after that and particular enjoyed the Ashes tour a couple of years later where I think I already mentioned my claim to fame - Gatting made me a cup of tea lol.

So you are from Tassie. When did you move to WA.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 17 Nov 2019 9:02 AM
water misters, as opposed to messers with bow ties and umbrellas twirling Fred Astaire style

Oh what a wit you are. That would be Gene Kelly style "Singing In the Rain"?

You sound like a cricket purist.. like moir. I am betting I saw my first game of Test cricket a little before you. I recall being taken to the SCG by my mother (rather reluctantly I may add as I had no interest in cricket at that time) and watching the great Dennis Lillee and Thommo take down the Pommies. I was hooked. I will let you speculate what decade that was. 

Haha good stuff. No wonder you are so fond of the Ashes! 
I stand corrected on my tuxedo gentlemen of yore.
One of the first matches I attended was the Pakistan Aus tri series at Bellerive that ended in a tie. Featured most of the World Cup winning Pakistan line up. I became a TCA junior member after that and particular enjoyed the Ashes tour a couple of years later where I think I already mentioned my claim to fame - Gatting made me a cup of tea lol.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

water misters, as opposed to messers with bow ties and umbrellas twirling Fred Astaire style

Oh what a wit you are. That would be Gene Kelly style "Singing In the Rain"?

You sound like a cricket purist.. like moir. I am betting I saw my first game of Test cricket a little before you. I recall being taken to the SCG by my mother (rather reluctantly I may add as I had no interest in cricket at that time) and watching the great Dennis Lillee and Thommo take down the Pommies. I was hooked. I will let you speculate what decade that was. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 16 Nov 2019 8:08 PM
ThingyBob - 16 Nov 2019 6:15 PM
Lucky you. Not even live streamed on the net.
Young bats using feet to spin sounds very encouraging.
Sounds as tho you had a cool day with the kids.. even tho it was a sweltering 40. Langers Loft.. please explain. You mean mist as in water spray.

Yes, very lucky. Would have liked to have copped more of a look at Pakistan but just too hot. I think they may have been letting people into members just to get into the shade. Yep water misters, as opposed to messers with bow ties and umbrellas twirling Fred Astaire style. :D Very refreshing thanks very much. Langer’s Loft is a nice little 2 storey shaded decked area with bar stools etc. I think they probably use it as a corporate entertaining area at times. It’s square on to the wicket unfortunately, but it’s right next to the hill and the player rooms / commentary area and plenty of room for the kids to run around under the scoreboard.
Well I think the young Aus XI can hold their head up high with not letting Pakistan bowl them out and scoring three 50s to boot. And I have just seen on the match summary that only 5 of the team have first class experience. Well done, lads! 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ThingyBob - 16 Nov 2019 6:15 PM
baggygreenmania - 16 Nov 2019 10:03 AM

Haha nah, I thought that was a pretty good list too. I had no clue who they would have picked. So we have just got back from the waca. 40 degrees and outfielders receiving wet towels to their necks. Tell you what, the teenager Musa was getting a few to rear up sharply and hit Spoors and Merlo in the grill. Beat the bat plenty of times. Looked impressive. The two young batters were using their feet very nicely to spin before lunch but looked a bit tied down after the break.

The WACA crew hospitable as always. They put the misters on in Langer’s Loft, even though we were the only ones in there apart from a couple of staff. The ground crew brought out stumps and put them on the hill for us when we playing a family match (the sun doesn’t deter my 8yo!). Shaheen Afridi threw the ball back to my kids when it rolled onto the field and one of the Pakistan coaches stopped to play catch with them during the start of the lunch break. Such a lovely atmosphere 
Lucky you. Not even live streamed on the net.
Young bats using feet to spin sounds very encouraging.
Sounds as tho you had a cool day with the kids.. even tho it was a sweltering 40. Langers Loft.. please explain. You mean mist as in water spray.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 16 Nov 2019 10:03 AM
ThingyBob - 15 Nov 2019 6:20 PM

Are you having a loan Bobbie:P  I knew most of my picks were no chance as they had just finished four days of shield cricket. That list tho wud make a fairly talented team. The 'jinja ninja' Pope continues to impress. btw this tour match is only two days.. not three or four as has been reported.

Haha nah, I thought that was a pretty good list too. I had no clue who they would have picked. So we have just got back from the waca. 40 degrees and outfielders receiving wet towels to their necks. Tell you what, the teenager Musa was getting a few to rear up sharply and hit Spoors and Merlo in the grill. Beat the bat plenty of times. Looked impressive. The two young batters were using their feet very nicely to spin before lunch but looked a bit tied down after the break.

The WACA crew hospitable as always. They put the misters on in Langer’s Loft, even though we were the only ones in there apart from a couple of staff. The ground crew brought out stumps and put them on the hill for us when we playing a family match (the sun doesn’t deter my 8yo!). Shaheen Afridi threw the ball back to my kids when it rolled onto the field and one of the Pakistan coaches stopped to play catch with them during the start of the lunch break. Such a lovely atmosphere 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 15 Nov 2019 10:18 AM

So apparently they agreed with you on one:

Jake Carder
Jayden Goodwin
Matthew Spoors
Jonathan Merlo
Jake Doran (wk/c)
Bradley Hope
Daniel Drew
Tom O’Connell
Mitchell Perry
Tim Oakley
David Grant
Lloyd Pope. 

Are you having a loan Bobbie:P  I knew most of my picks were no chance as they had just finished four days of shield cricket. That list tho wud make a fairly talented team. The 'jinja ninja' Pope continues to impress. btw this tour match is only two days.. not three or four as has been reported.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

Jake Carder
Jayden Goodwin
Matthew Spoors
Jonathan Merlo
Jake Doran (wk/c)
Bradley Hope
Daniel Drew
Tom O’Connell
Mitchell Perry
Tim Oakley
David Grant
Lloyd Pope. 

...and btw, it seems the very same Lloyd Pope has 3 of the 5 wickets operating as 6th bowler.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

ThingyBob - 15 Nov 2019 10:00 AM

ha ha. You'd think they'd have announced the CAX1 squad by this. Or will it be the current NPS scholars? If not I will have a crack at some of them. Henry Hunt, Bryce Street, Jason Sangha, Cameron Green, Lloyd Pope, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith. They may even give 17 year olds Fraser-McGurk and Tanveer Sangha the nod too.

Jake Carder
Jayden Goodwin
Matthew Spoors
Jonathan Merlo
Jake Doran (wk/c)
Bradley Hope
Daniel Drew
Tom O’Connell
Mitchell Perry
Tim Oakley
David Grant
Lloyd Pope. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ThingyBob - 15 Nov 2019 10:00 AM
baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 8:28 PM

An extra long 3 day match. It says 15 - 19 November on cricket.com.au. !!

ha ha. You'd think they'd have announced the CAX1 squad by this. Or will it be the current NPS scholars? If not I will have a crack at some of them. Henry Hunt, Bryce Street, Jason Sangha, Cameron Green, Lloyd Pope, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith. They may even give 17 year olds Fraser-McGurk and Tanveer Sangha the nod too.
Edited
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 8:28 PM
baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 8:13 PM

Another match out of Perth so expect to wait half the day to watch it. It is a three dayer. No further info. 

An extra long 3 day match. It says 15 - 19 November on cricket.com.au. !!

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 8:13 PM
ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 7:29 PM

Very little publicity on this. See if I can find anything.

Another match out of Perth so expect to wait half the day to watch it. It is a three dayer. No further info. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 7:29 PM
grazorblade - 14 Nov 2019 6:20 PM

True, but then Head’s recent form is still better than Khawaja’s.

Has anyone heard anything about the CXI team for the tour match starting tomorrow? I have no idea who is in it. Not exactly big news compared with the test announcement, but even so.

Very little publicity on this. See if I can find anything.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 14 Nov 2019 2:22 PM
khawaja dropped

pretty harsh imo. Very good in the world cup and not alone in struggling in a successful ashes tour. 3rd highest average of our batters

Yes given it is a home series. He averages around @50 at home  If not mistaken. The truth of the matter is he has been in a huge hole since the Ashes. He is not alone there.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

grazorblade - 14 Nov 2019 6:20 PM
ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 4:18 PM

You can still have a top 6 of 

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labu
Wade

True, but then Head’s recent form is still better than Khawaja’s.

Has anyone heard anything about the CXI team for the tour match starting tomorrow? I have no idea who is in it. Not exactly big news compared with the test announcement, but even so.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 4:18 PM

Where would you put him though? Some would argue that Burns is long overdue his chance at the top, and Smith and Labuschagne are lock ins. Khawaja has had his chances and just didn’t capitalize. They are never gunna drop Warner.

You can still have a top 6 of 

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labu
Wade

ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

khawaja dropped

pretty harsh imo. Very good in the world cup and not alone in struggling in a successful ashes tour. 3rd highest average of our batters

Where would you put him though? Some would argue that Burns is long overdue his chance at the top, and Smith and Labuschagne are lock ins. Khawaja has had his chances and just didn’t capitalize. They are never gunna drop Warner.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

khawaja dropped

ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 11:42 AM
ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 8:46 AM

No above ground parking at the new stadium?

You heading across the ditch Bobbie? 

You can’t park at all at the stadium. No taxis or Ubers, either. They put on buses for the BBL and AFL etc but otherwise it’s  trains or else a long walk across the bridge.

No travel for me, looking forward to the day night test in Perth in December. :) More pink ball action and hopefully see Cummins and Smith in live action.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 9:34 AM
Dreadful news about Pucovski pulling out of the selection race due to his ongoing mental issues. I have to say this is the best possible time to make your Test debut. Home conditions.. home crowds.. supporting family and friends.

Makes you wonder will Puck ever want to play Test cricket.

Yes it’s a tough one. The word seems to be they are playing the long game with him and easing him into things. But one wonders how many opportunities he will get, in reality.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

ThingyBob - 14 Nov 2019 8:46 AM
Keyboard Warrior - 13 Nov 2019 9:37 PM

Unfortunately Optus is a different beast to the waca, which is a short drive down to the road and you can park right out front. You can’t take your car to the stadium, and with the early finish it wasn’t worth it once factoring in travel time. Looking forward to 2 days at the NZ test though!

No above ground parking at the new stadium?

You heading across the ditch Bobbie? 
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 14 Nov 2019 9:34 AM
Dreadful news about Pucovski pulling out of the selection race due to his ongoing mental issues. I have to say this is the best possible time to make your Test debut. Home conditions.. home crowds.. supporting family and friends.

With Pucovski out of the picture. My First Test X1: 
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labuchagne
Bancroft
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 13 Nov 2019 10:08 PM
Yaseem Shah is a good bowler for 16 years old! 

I dont see any bum fluff on his chin. Is he really only 16. Remember Shahid Afrida.. said the same thing. Turns out he was in fact 18/19.

KW sorry to say but I agree with you.. a pathetic statement for test selection by these pretenders to a Baggy Green.

Bancroft may have a tech flaw but the guy knows how to protect his wicket when that is what is needed. He did it in the Ashes warm up match and again here. What have the other duds done.. other than embarrassed themselves.
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

baggygreenmania - 13 Nov 2019 7:25 PM
baggygreenmania - 13 Nov 2019 7:08 PM

Two batsmen scored 3 centuries last season Marcus Harris and Nic Maddinson. Harris has been tried and gone missing in action while Maddo is on mental health leave. Next in line are the twin century scorers.. Wade, Patterson, Hughes, Larkin, Pucovski, Cooper and Mitch Marsh. Of those only Hughes (742 @39) and Larkin (687 @36) are specialist openers. Bancroft only played 4 matches .. compiled almost 400 runs @56. So he has to be well in the frame too. 

And now Pucovski has joined the casualty list. 
ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan

Keyboard Warrior - 13 Nov 2019 9:37 PM
ThingyBob - 13 Nov 2019 7:47 PM

Go to the cricket whilst it is on, mate. 

Unfortunately Optus is a different beast to the waca, which is a short drive down to the road and you can park right out front. You can’t take your car to the stadium, and with the early finish it wasn’t worth it once factoring in travel time. Looking forward to 2 days at the NZ test though!
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Yaseem Shah is a good bowler for 16 years old! 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Head is getting too front on against Afridi. 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

baggygreenmania - 13 Nov 2019 7:25 PM
baggygreenmania - 13 Nov 2019 7:08 PM

Two batsmen scored 3 centuries last season Marcus Harris and Nic Maddinson. Harris has been tried and gone missing in action while Maddo is on mental health leave. Next in line are the twin century scorers.. Wade, Patterson, Hughes, Larkin, Pucovski, Cooper and Mitch Marsh. Of those only Hughes (742 @39) and Larkin (687 @36) are specialist openers. Bancroft only played 4 matches .. compiled almost 400 runs @56. So he has to be well in the frame too. 

Good day, Baggers. 

You make make  some good points as usual, mate. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search