The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 30 Jun 2020 9:38 AM
LFC. - 30 Jun 2020 9:13 AM

I don’t hold the situation against him. Add on the reality he is a major business owner back in the UK, property developer etc and he’ll have his hands full. 

Disappointed, but understandable is my stance.

In Australian terms he has completed nothing - where the finals count for a lot.
In UK terms he has completed a huge task - taken a failing team out of relegation and into contention for at least one of the Championship competitions.

Had Robbie grown up in our landscape he probably would have come back for the all critical finals series. In his eyes and those watching him I think he has successfully completed a transformation and made the start of a name for himself with the boots off.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 30 Jun 2020 9:46 AM

Disappointed, but understandable is my stance.

In Australian terms he has completed nothing - where the finals count for a lot.
In UK terms he has completed a huge task - taken a failing team out of relegation and into contention for at least one of the Championship competitions.

Had Robbie grown up in our landscape he probably would have come back for the all critical finals series. In his eyes and those watching him I think he has successfully completed a transformation and made the start of a name for himself with the boots off.

For Robbie a lot depends on what comes next  - if he sits on the sidelines for a year then he’s wasted his time. 

Mind you, reports out of Birmingham seem to have him as favourite so he’s wasted no time 

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Recent media on God, he's got a few other good candidates to contend with.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-manager-odds-fowler-18381560

Love Football

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

LFC. - 30 Jun 2020 9:13 AM

I don’t hold the situation against him. Add on the reality he is a major business owner back in the UK, property developer etc and he’ll have his hands full. 

Just another example of lack of loyalty in the game. I’m pretty much done with the club and league (I know it’s not their fault). Who wants to support a club with no club house, and different coach and a different team every season? These days the idea of a ‘club‘ is not much more than a bank account and a post office box.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Professional sport means playing your heart out while you wear the uniform. As players get older 'loyalty' should mean keeping them on our books even when they are not producing. We would not allow that as supporters, so why should it be one-sided?

It is unfair to expect different from people playing for their livelihood in what we know is a short career.

Any player, or administrative person, who changes clubs has to then commit to their new club. There is no room or place in professional sport for anything less.

My support is for my club and whoever runs out as my team or holds a role with us - not to the individuals as such who come and go.

Up to everyone else to work out where they stand and what they will accept I guess.

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 30 Jun 2020 4:02 PM
Professional sport means playing your heart out while you wear the uniform. As players get older 'loyalty' should mean keeping them on our books even when they are not producing. We would not allow that as supporters, so why should it be one-sided?

It is unfair to expect different from people playing for their livelihood in what we know is a short career.

Any player, or administrative person, who changes clubs has to then commit to their new club. There is no room or place in professional sport for anything less.

My support is for my club and whoever runs out as my team or holds a role with us - not to the individuals as such who come and go.

Up to everyone else to work out where they stand and what they will accept I guess.

I can see both points of view .
I do think clubs need to have a core of players who stick around long term ...club men and women .
It gives supporters something to cling to and identify with .
We need club Legends .
The current team is completely new so hasn't had a chance to bond properly with us yet .
In the past we had McKay, Broich ,Theo, Massimo and others we could identify with as being ours ....we don't really have many like that now.
The closest I guess would be Jamie Young.
We need to have a few club "stalwarts" who stick around so we can latch onto them and give us "ownership" of our club again. 
Players will always come and go but if we have a core group it keeps the club culture alive.
..and it is a two way street....if we see a player who "plays for the badge" the crowd will make him a favourite and respond to him positively ..thus only increasing his pride in the badge . ..and ours .
If Aldred hangs around a few years he could become one but we need a few more .

dirk vanadidas
dirk vanadidas
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

just have to dump the fowler statue in norman creek

Europe is funding the war not Chelsea football club

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Yeah, maybe the problem is that at this point in time I’m looking for a ‘club’ and what that means, not just a ‘team’. 
But I agree with you - each to his own. 
The other problem is, when no one sticks with any club you don’t even have any opponents that you can grow to hate. I can only really think of Rhyan Grant and Matt Simon that fall into the ‘perpetual villain’ category at present. 

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

clockwork orange - 30 Jun 2020 9:49 PM

Yeah, maybe the problem is that at this point in time I’m looking for a ‘club’ and what that means, not just a ‘team’. 
The other problem is, when no one sticks with any club you don’t even have any opponents that you can grow to hate. I can only really think of Rhyan Grant and Matt Simon that fall into the ‘perpetual villain’ category at present. 

Jamieson ?

roarland
roarland
Under 7s
Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)Under 7s (10 reputation)

miron mercedes - 30 Jun 2020 4:58 PM

The current team is completely new so hasn't had a chance to bond properly with us yet .
In the past we had McKay, Broich ,Theo, Massimo and others we could identify with as being ours ....we don't really have many like that now.
The closest I guess would be Jamie Young.

Hingert...
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

miron mercedes - 30 Jun 2020 10:17 PM

Jamieson ?

It's funny, but I find it tends to be more wanting to do well against ex-Roar players these days than hating other teams' players.

Fallandrolli is always a good backup for Matt Simon - but it just isn't the right sort of hatred in my books.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Not quite as black and white as I spelled it out. We have some similar feelings in there wanting some ownership and feeling like they are our team.

I felt we were getting there.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Roar in me Blood - 1 Jul 2020 6:43 AM

Not quite as black and white as I spelled it out. We have some similar feelings in there wanting some ownership and feeling like they are our team.

I felt we were getting there.

Yeah I kind of like the idea of having Aldred around- a solid defender, decent leader, but someone who was not likely to be a target for other clubs in the next 18 months. 
Shows how bad things had become when management is saying a guy who was in charge for <20 games before abandoning ship, had “brought stability” to the club.

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

clockwork orange - 30 Jun 2020 3:21 PM

Just another example of lack of loyalty in the game. I’m pretty much done with the club and league (I know it’s not their fault). Who wants to support a club with no club house, and different coach and a different team every season? These days the idea of a ‘club‘ is not much more than a bank account and a post office box.

the problem is that we are still a very young club. there really hasnt been enough time to really cement an identity and develop the club but the foundations are being laid. 

we now have an academy that should start to provide home developed players and provide opportunity for ex players to come through and stay with the club after their playing days are done. previously we have only had Moore that has stayed on with the club after playing, now we have Steff, doing the media managing, henrique, managing the under 16's Moon who was with the youth team now in the top job. Hopefully with players that start to come through playing a brisbane roar style of football as some more consistency in coaching and development takes place through the club. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

sirhcdobo - 1 Jul 2020 12:40 PM
clockwork orange - 30 Jun 2020 3:21 PM

the problem is that we are still a very young club. there really hasnt been enough time to really cement an identity and develop the club but the foundations are being laid. 

we now have an academy that should start to provide home developed players and provide opportunity for ex players to come through and stay with the club after their playing days are done. previously we have only had Moore that has stayed on with the club after playing, now we have Steff, doing the media managing, henrique, managing the under 16's Moon who was with the youth team now in the top job. Hopefully with players that start to come through playing a brisbane roar style of football as some more consistency in coaching and development takes place through the club. 

Good post. It’s hard not to empathise with Clockworks original post but as you say, it’s all work in progress. 
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

Waz - 1 Jul 2020 1:25 PM
sirhcdobo - 1 Jul 2020 12:40 PM

Good post. It’s hard not to empathise with Clockworks original post but as you say, it’s all work in progress. 

Clubrooms with a bar where supporters can go should be an absolute priority for the club.
Waz
Waz
Legend

CS - 1 Jul 2020 2:54 PM
Waz - 1 Jul 2020 1:25 PM

Clubrooms with a bar where supporters can go should be an absolute priority for the club.

I’d put training facilities and a stadium ahead of that. But certainly a priority - a stadium with club rooms would be perfect. 
JiMMM
JiMMM
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)Hardcore Fan (263 reputation)

Waz - 1 Jul 2020 3:15 PM
CS - 1 Jul 2020 2:54 PM

I’d put training facilities and a stadium ahead of that. But certainly a priority - a stadium with club rooms would be perfect. 

I would put some sort of fan ownership model at the very top of the list, doesn't need to be anywhere near a majority stake (like the bundeliga model everyone defaults to) but hell even a 5% stake for the fans and a seat at the table would be good, and would help ease the burden on the owners.

Waz
Waz
Legend

JiMMM - 1 Jul 2020 5:33 PM
Waz - 1 Jul 2020 3:15 PM

I would put some sort of fan ownership model at the very top of the list, doesn't need to be anywhere near a majority stake (like the bundeliga model everyone defaults to) but hell even a 5% stake for the fans and a seat at the table would be good, and would help ease the burden on the owners.

That’s on the agenda with Roar; the RSF have cleared the concept with the FFA and we’ve had no resistance from the club (although that doesn’t mean they’d have to sell - it’s a private business after all). 

But I think you’d need 20% to get “a seat at the table” 

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

David Squires on ... Robbie Fowler's contribution to the A-Leaguehttps://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jul/03/david-squires-on-robbie-fowlers-contribution-to-the-a-league?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
Waz
Waz
Legend

Very funny, he’s obviously been paying attention. 

Sadly for Robbie this is basically how he will be remembered and if he’s serious about coaching he’s going to have to do the “first coaching gig” all over again somewhere else. 

For Roar it’s now a case of how the visa players react to a new coach, whether Moon/Davies can work with the players/systems RF leaves them, and then of course - who follows RF full time in the gig.  

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

It will be interesting to see how Moon goes, he had Lions playing very well in the NPL.  It can be argued that the squad he had at Lions was possibly the most expensive in NPL QLD (that's not meant to take anything away from Moon's coaching).  So with the Roar gig, he will have to rely more on his management abilities than team budget (the inverse of Sydney).   I'm assuming he will be the one calling the shots.  Hopefully he can get the team going for the run home.  Only a few more sleeps to go.
Waz
Waz
Legend

aok - 3 Jul 2020 7:50 AM
It will be interesting to see how Moon goes, he had Lions playing very well in the NPL.  It can be argued that the squad he had at Lions was possibly the most expensive in NPL QLD (that's not meant to take anything away from Moon's coaching).  So with the Roar gig, he will have to rely more on his management abilities than team budget (the inverse of Sydney).   I'm assuming he will be the one calling the shots.  Hopefully he can get the team going for the run home.  Only a few more sleeps to go.

Can’t argue the Lions team was the most expensive but the Cap system there is based on player-points not dollars. 

Roar don’t need to outspend their opponents, they just need a sensible budget and a great football Dept to back it up. City and WSW are living proof that having a bigger budget doesn’t guarantee success - arguably Wanderers decline started when they started splashing the cash on useless visa players. 

overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

Waz - 3 Jul 2020 8:01 AM

Can’t argue the Lions team was the most expensive but the Cap system there is based on player-points not dollars. 

Roar don’t need to outspend their opponents, they just need a sensible budget and a great football Dept to back it up. City and WSW are living proof that having a bigger budget doesn’t guarantee success - arguably Wanderers decline started when they started splashing the cash on useless visa players. 

90% correct there Waz. Be nice to have a little cash splash on a fit Azani tho - I know dreaming!!!!

Proud Dad
Proud Dad
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)Hardcore Fan (240 reputation)

Does he have Pro-Diploma? 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

Proud Dad - 3 Jul 2020 8:10 AM

Does he have Pro-Diploma? 

I'm not sure.  I know Ben Cahn from Olympic has the AFC Pro.  The pleasing part is that we have produced a few decent young coaches in Qld recently.  Hopefully they get a chance to show their abilities on the national stage at some point soon. 

I'm genuinely excited for Moon - it's a great opportunity. 
Waz
Waz
Legend

aok - 3 Jul 2020 8:55 AM

I'm not sure.  I know Ben Cahn from Olympic has the AFC Pro.  The pleasing part is that we have produced a few decent young coaches in Qld recently.  Hopefully they get a chance to show their abilities on the national stage at some point soon. 

Agree on all that. 

Davies didn’t have the pro-diploma and I haven’t seen him on the QLD course announcements, but he may be doing his with UEFA (Tony Grant didn’t have the pro-diploma either) 

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

Ben Chan is a quality coach , could him and Moon work together?

Waz
Waz
Legend

Some big announcement this arvo apparently. Not related to the first team 
aok
aok
Pro

notarobot - 3 Jul 2020 9:50 AM

Ben Chan is a quality coach , could him and Moon work together?

Not sure.  If Moon doesn't work out Cahn would be a good replacement.  I hope he gets his chance - maybe next cab off the rank for a struggling A League team.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search