Happy Australia Day

Happy Australia Day

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
libelous - 26 Jan 2021 8:51 PM
sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 8:44 PM

It’s just the f****d up 442 forum. It needs to be destroyed and re-invented.

There's a thread for that :D
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 8:54 PM
johnszasz - 26 Jan 2021 8:49 PM

I'm not sure tbh.

All good. Cheers for the clarification. 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

johnszasz - 26 Jan 2021 8:34 PM
I'm confused. It says Carlito posted two posts ago but when quoted by Libelous it says MvFCArsenal16.8 as the poster.

How does that work? 

Used to go by mvfcarsenal.  But now use my actual nickname i grew up with.  
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 26 Jan 2021 10:13 PM

Do you remember how to change it? Just curious.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

As in "Hey Carlito.... Carlito Brigande my friend how you doin?" Top flick if so....

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

charliecat - 26 Jan 2021 11:47 AM
I agree with you Paul C Aus is the best country in the world  even before the USA .I came to Australia as a 7year old back in 1948 that's 73 years ago and the secret is that if you migrate to this country you have to ASSIMILATE .......Happy Australia day to all................charliecat

Sorry my friend, your assumption regarding assimilation are, outdated, illegal and both morally and ethically repugnant...
Happy Australia Day to one of the most multicultural societies on earth, long may we stay that way.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 7:01 PM
Change the date.

There is nothing wrong with Australia Day in itself but celebrating it on a date which is insensitive to Indigenous people shows that we have some way to go before being a fully inclusive society.

#alwayswasalwayswillbe

Every day is considered insensitive to aboriginal people, that’s the problem. One racial group that forms a section of the Australian population holds the rest accountable for any perceived crimes of centuries past. It’s very tiresome, and as current society shows fostering this victim mentality isn’t helping anyone. My great grandparents were murdered by the nazi SS, I don’t go cap in hand to Germany every year asking for reparations and placing blame.

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Dan_The_Red - 27 Jan 2021 9:13 AM
sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 7:01 PM

Every day is considered insensitive to aboriginal people, that’s the problem. One racial group that forms a section of the Australian population holds the rest accountable for any perceived crimes of centuries past. It’s very tiresome, and as current society shows fostering this victim mentality isn’t helping anyone. My great grandparents were murdered by the nazi SS, I don’t go cap in hand to Germany every year asking for reparations and placing blame.

There’s zero substance behind that statement.

The campaign is literally “change the date” not cancel Australia Day together. There’s so many other more appropriate dates which we can pick.

The crimes you mentioned aren’t centuries past, they were still happening just over 50 years ago. 

The vibe I get from you is that you think Aboriginals are moochers when that isn’t the case. It will take generations to close the gap because Indigenous people weren’t treated as human for the best part of 200 years.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

clockwork orange - 26 Jan 2021 5:32 PM
Decentric 2 - 26 Jan 2021 5:03 PM

So the usual rent-a-crowd...

So that’s only about 25,990,000 who didn’t attend your little parade.

The make of the attendees are purely political.

If they were that concerned they would be focusing more on the real major problems aboriginals face these days.

Changing a date will do nothing to stop them whining or protesting because the date doesn't help their political end game..

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

libelous - 26 Jan 2021 6:59 PM
Craig Foster, who today received an OAM, has written an excellent article in the Guardian. I suggest everyone reads it. 

The Guardian is as Lefty a newspaper can get.

In a resort somewhere

paulc
paulc
Legend

sub007 - 27 Jan 2021 12:46 PM

The campaign is literally “change the date” not cancel Australia Day together. There’s so many other more appropriate dates which we can pick.

The crimes you mentioned aren’t centuries past, they were still happening just over 50 years ago. 

The vibe I get from you is that you think Aboriginals are moochers when that isn’t the case. It will take generations to close the gap because Indigenous people weren’t treated as human for the best part of 200 years.

What date would you prefer? The grievances would still be there if the date is 25th or 27th Jan or any other day. Would make no difference.

He's something else good about the 26 Jan Australia Day. On this day in 1949 law was introduced via an Act that whites and aboriginals shall for the first time all be legally called Australians and shall all hold an Australian passport equally.

There's been great steps made to improve the plight of the indigenous people and this is one date we should all celebrate.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
paulc
paulc
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Jan 2021 10:34 PM
charliecat - 26 Jan 2021 11:47 AM

Sorry my friend, your assumption regarding assimilation are, outdated, illegal and both morally and ethically repugnant...
Happy Australia Day to one of the most multicultural societies on earth, long may we stay that way.

There needs to be a complete level of compliance with regards to the law of the land. Some cultures practice activities that are morally and ethically abhorrent that do not resonate with Australian values. I'm sure that charliecat (as I am) would be more than in total agreement about the value of multiculturalism to our great nation.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

paulc - 27 Jan 2021 2:07 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Jan 2021 10:34 PM

There needs to be a complete level of compliance with regards to the law of the land. Some cultures practice activities that are morally and ethically abhorrent that do not resonate with Australian values. I'm sure that charliecat (as I am) would be more than in total agreement about the value of multiculturalism to our great nation.

I dont disagree at all, compliance with the laws of the land is key to this statement.  Cultural practices that are morally or ethically NOT in line with Anglo Australian values, as long as they are NOT against the law, cannot be discriminated against.  As much as you would like to, you cannot for example, prevent someone speaking in their mother tongue or congregating in "ethnic" groups to participate in cultural activities they deem important to them.  Multiculturalism, as a credo, means exactly that, lots of different cultures coexisting in one nation. This overwhelming concept of "true blue Dinky di Ozzieness" may resonate with you but it doesn't for hundreds of thousands of other citizens of this great land.  I didn't have any relatives die at Gallipoli, none of my ancestors ever came here in chains and I have never had a meat pie in my life but still consider myself Australian.. Who are you to tell me I have to assimilate to a particular way of thinking or acting to comply with this failed notion of "white Australia"?
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 7:14 PM
GDeathe - 26 Jan 2021 7:09 PM

That's a creative way of framing a date that is associated with invasion and attempted genocide.

There was no attempted genocide.  (Even 'invasion' is a stretch.)  Stop saying that.  Were aboriginals dispossessed?  Yes.  Were some murdered or massacred?  Yes.

But to use emotive language like 'genocide' which brings up images of Rwanda, Cambodia and the Nazi holocaust is ridiculous in the extreme.  There was never a government policy to exterminate aboriginals.  NEVER.

Change the date by all means but lets cut out rampant bullshit while we're at it. 

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
paulc
paulc
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 27 Jan 2021 2:18 PM
paulc - 27 Jan 2021 2:07 PM

I dont disagree at all, compliance with the laws of the land is key to this statement.  Cultural practices that are morally or ethically NOT in line with Anglo Australian values, as long as they are NOT against the law, cannot be discriminated against.  As much as you would like to, you cannot for example, prevent someone speaking in their mother tongue or congregating in "ethnic" groups to participate in cultural activities they deem important to them.  Multiculturalism, as a credo, means exactly that, lots of different cultures coexisting in one nation. This overwhelming concept of "true blue Dinky di Ozzieness" may resonate with you but it doesn't for hundreds of thousands of other citizens of this great land.  I didn't have any relatives die at Gallipoli, none of my ancestors ever came here in chains and I have never had a meat pie in my life but still consider myself Australian.. Who are you to tell me I have to assimilate to a particular way of thinking or acting to comply with this failed notion of "white Australia"?

Sending 12 year olds overseas to pre-arranged marriages is an example of unacceptable cultural values. I don't have to be a white Anglo to know that.

In a resort somewhere

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Yeah I'm not 100% sure of that.  Reckon there'd be plenty of hand wringers and bedwetters that would be happy to never celebrate Australia Day ever again.

It's funny because I'm not a big 'Australia is the best' cape wearing flag patriot but the eternal carry on makes me just go 'fuck it I'm going all in'.

And 'always was, always will be' doesn't help one dot.  Like I said in ET the subtext, as I read it is, no matter what you do, no matter how long you or your family are here you'll always be an interloper.

Hardly inclusive.  If anything it drives a giant wedge in.

Want a treaty, do it.
Want constitutional recognition, do it.
Want reparations, do it,
Want the anthem changed, do it.
Want a new flag, do it, 
Want Australia day changed, do it.
Whatever they want.  Do it.

But after that can we please just get on with enjoying Australia day without all the other baggage. 

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

johnszasz - 26 Jan 2021 10:30 PM

Do you remember how to change it? Just curious.

Click on the person avatar top right next to your name.  Click on edit profile.  Change first name.

Member since 2008.

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Which part of my statement do you believe has zero substance?

Sections of the protesters were not only calling for Australia Day to be abolished, but Australia itself to be abolish. Seems as tho you missed the memo.

The key part about these supposed crimes, is they are in fact a past event, like many other past crimes around the world that current generations share no guilt of, you’re being ridiculous.

I made no mention of my beliefs towards aboriginal people generally, you’re trying to put words in my mouth, not cool. I assume many of the fools as those protests have no aboriginal ancestry. Australia has existed as a federated country since 1901, and its people (ALL of its people) considered Australian since 1949 so any issue prior those dates, take it up with the British.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Dan_The_Red
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

paulc - 27 Jan 2021 1:56 PM

What date would you prefer? The grievances would still be there if the date is 25th or 27th Jan or any other day. Would make no difference.

He's something else good about the 26 Jan Australia Day. On this day in 1949 law was introduced via an Act that whites and aboriginals shall for the first time all be legally called Australians and shall all hold an Australian passport equally.

There's been great steps made to improve the plight of the indigenous people and this is one date we should all celebrate.

Australia became a Federation on January the 1st so there's one option. Another would be March the 3rd given that was the day the 1986 Australia act commenced. The Act formally separated all legal ties to the UK.

My preference would be to become a republic and make the day we become a republic Australia Day.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 27 Jan 2021 2:24 PM
sub007 - 26 Jan 2021 7:14 PM

There was no attempted genocide.  (Even 'invasion' is a stretch.)  Stop saying that.  Were aboriginals dispossessed?  Yes.  Were some murdered or massacred?  Yes.

But to use emotive language like 'genocide' which brings up images of Rwanda, Cambodia and the Nazi holocaust is ridiculous in the extreme.  There was never a government policy to exterminate aboriginals.  NEVER.

Change the date by all means but lets cut out rampant bullshit while we're at it. 

The Stolen Generations were absolutely genocide but not in the same way as those other ones.

Mixed raced children were taken from their parents, were basically forced to denounce all of their culture, being taught that being black is bad and were basicially made to marry white people and basically breed out their Abroiginality while other Indigenous people were pretty much left to their own devices and excluded from society so they'd eventually die out. All of this stuff is taught in schools now.
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

There is actually a 1/365 (or 366 in leap years) chance that the very first human placed a foot in Australia on that day. But the date itself is not the point.

I acknowledge that this has nothing to do with football and my part in contributing to that.

From my very limited exposure, for the main part the issue will be lessened considerably by the majority of Australians genuinely understanding what happened to the 'Australian Aborigine' in the years since colonial settlement. From the killings and poisoning through to the young woman who had to line up at the local townhall for hours to ask for some of the money she had earned to be able to buy a dress to go somewhere with her boyfriend. If people heard the stories from the people who are willing to tell them, and substituted any other person they know and think fairly of, they would proudly and protectively stand up and say 'this is not on'. As a nation we strongly oppose the actions that happened historically.

Clashing values with political tag-alongs, career activists and money hungry opportunists has so clouded this issue that resolution is made such a difficult prospect.

Only some want financial reparation - I think that real understanding and recognition means so much more to the majority of the people affected by it.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

sub007
sub007
World Class

Dan_The_Red - 27 Jan 2021 3:01 PM

Which part of my statement do you believe has zero substance?

Sections of the protesters were not only calling for Australia Day to be abolished, but Australia itself to be abolish. Seems as tho you missed the memo.

The key part about these supposed crimes, is they are in fact a past event, like many other past crimes around the world that current generations share no guilt of, you’re being ridiculous.

I made no mention of my beliefs towards aboriginal people generally, you’re trying to put words in my mouth, not cool. I assume many of the fools as those protests have no aboriginal ancestry. Australia has existed as a federated country since 1901, and its people (ALL of its people) considered Australian since 1949 so any issue prior those dates, take it up with the British.

That every say is insensitive to Indigenous people. Literally no one has ever said that.

These crimes aren't supposed and the effects can still be seen today so I'm not being ridiculous.

You pretty much did by implying that if you give them any of their demands they'll make further demands in another post and saying that their "Victim mentality" is tiresome instead of considering their legitimate grievances.

Also Indigenous people were considers "Flora and Fauna" by the Australian constitution until 1967 and Indigenous people have only been able to vote in Fereral elections since 1962 when the Commonwealth Electoral Act was passed.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

paulc - 27 Jan 2021 2:26 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 27 Jan 2021 2:18 PM

Sending 12 year olds overseas to pre-arranged marriages is an example of unacceptable cultural values. I don't have to be a white Anglo to know that.

Again, not if it happens within the confines of Australian law. Sending your child to another country, provided they are exempt to travel internationally or are accompanied by an adult is legal - what happens overseas is absolutely vile to me too, I agree with you on that. You, of course, are bringing up the most extreme of examples however, where do you sit on the issue of Muslim women wearing the full face covering for example? Is this "Non Australian" for you? What about the African Cup of Nations Soccer tournament held in Melbourne and Sydney recently, is that "Non Australian"?
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class

sub007 - 27 Jan 2021 3:15 PM

That every say is insensitive to Indigenous people. Literally no one has ever said that.

These crimes aren't supposed and the effects can still be seen today so I'm not being ridiculous.

You pretty much did by implying that if you give them any of their demands they'll make further demands in another post and saying that their "Victim mentality" is tiresome instead of considering their legitimate grievances.

Also Indigenous people were considers "Flora and Fauna" by the Australian constitution until 1967 and Indigenous people have only been able to vote in Fereral elections since 1962 when the Commonwealth Electoral Act was passed.

When activists want the day abolished all together, it’s hardly a stretch on my part to say “every day is insensitive”.

Than by your reasoning every crime ever committed creates such disturbance to never allow stability. It’s a ridiculous notion and the very root of the widening divide in this country.

It is right to assume of further demands. We’ve have the reconciliation walks, we’ve had the government issued apologies, government money is poured in and we have NUMEROUS days throughout the year to commemorate aboriginal culture etc. It’s never enough, as yesterday clearly demonstrated. Go ahead, change the date, then what? What does that actually accomplish? Does that stop the fools calling for $1M for every aboriginal person? No it doesn’t. So give them another million each, then what? This rubbish has to stop.

1967 was 54 years ago. Eventually, people need to let go and move on. Considering many aboriginal people don’t live past 60 (substance abuse and domestic violence being the biggest killers before you attribute anything to some racist nonsense) few would be alive who experienced any of that.

paulc
paulc
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 27 Jan 2021 3:57 PM

Again, not if it happens within the confines of Australian law. Sending your child to another country, provided they are exempt to travel internationally or are accompanied by an adult is legal - what happens overseas is absolutely vile to me too, I agree with you on that. You, of course, are bringing up the most extreme of examples however, where do you sit on the issue of Muslim women wearing the full face covering for example? Is this "Non Australian" for you? What about the African Cup of Nations Soccer tournament held in Melbourne and Sydney recently, is that "Non Australian"?

Playing in a competition that does not infringe in the law and decent humane values is never an issue.  Female genital mutilation is another example that is an issue however, often done in secrecy and hidden from the law. Whether these immoral acts happen overseas or not they are perpetrated from Australia by those living in Australia with cultural indifferences. These are not the values we support in Australia.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Off topic, but the African Cup of Nations is an annual event in Perth as well.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

petszk - 27 Jan 2021 4:20 PM

Off topic, but the African Cup of Nations is an annual event in Perth as well.

Sorry mate, no offence meant...  I think its a great event and wish other "ethnicities" like my own still did things like this.
Muz
Muz
Legend

sub007 - 27 Jan 2021 3:06 PM
Munrubenmuz - 27 Jan 2021 2:24 PM

The Stolen Generations were absolutely genocide but not in the same way as those other ones.

Mixed raced children were taken from their parents, were basically forced to denounce all of their culture, being taught that being black is bad and were basicially made to marry white people and basically breed out their Abroiginality while other Indigenous people were pretty much left to their own devices and excluded from society so they'd eventually die out. All of this stuff is taught in schools now.

The stolen generations were nothing to do with genocide.  It was a misplaced and misguided (some will disagree) attempt to 'rescue' half caste children on the assumption that full blooded aboriginals were going to become extinct given the rapid decline of their population since white settlement.  As wrong as it may have been it wasn't genocide by any stretch.

Calling it such doesn't help.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations

Member since 2008.

Muz
Muz
Legend

paulc - 27 Jan 2021 1:46 PM
libelous - 26 Jan 2021 6:59 PM

The Guardian is as Lefty a newspaper can get.

What the fuck has that got to do with what he's written?  It's his words not the Guardian's.  What a ridiculous statement.

Member since 2008.

Edited
Muz
Muz
Legend

sub007 - 27 Jan 2021 3:15 PM

#fakenews #neverhappened

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-20/fact-check-flora-and-fauna-1967-referendum/9550650#:~:text=Ms%20Clanton's%20claim%20is%20a,under%20federal%20or%20state%20law.&text=Experts%20told%20Fact%20Check%20that,constitution%20relating%20to%20Indigenous%20Australians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_and_Fauna_Act_Myth

Member since 2008.

Edited
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search