European Super league.

European Super league.

Author
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14686517/man-utd-arsenal-chelsea-european-super-league-uefa/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunsportchelseafacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1618750181

All the objections to this league by former players, managers, pundits and even the UK prime minister are completely interchangeable with why the A League, as a closed shop, is fucked.

Member since 2008.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

It does give a bit of perspective to how the npl clubs feel 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

agreed, I'm pissed my FSG owners are part of it and not surprised for like any of these owners its all about the money.
Hope it fails to get up.

Love Football

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Money talks more than ever. To think If top players sign up they will be banned from future WCUP’s etc. maybe NT pride is runner up to cash these days. WCups would suck without the best players in the world playing. EPL, Laliga, etc would become more level playing field for clubs & players at least.
big clubs also probably still pissed off with Fifa antics of the last 10 years too
Edited
3 Years Ago by Balin Trev
Cyberia FC
Cyberia FC
Under 7s
Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)Under 7s (4 reputation)

The Death of Football 
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 19 Apr 2021 8:06 AM

It’s not entirely similar. 
A-League is a professional setup. 
The NPL is an amateur setup. 

No club currently in the NPL was ever professional. 
Perhaps south melbourne tried for a year but then reverted back to semi-pro. 

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

"The statement also outlined the planned structure of the new competition, due to start in August each year and finish in May.

In addition to the 15 founding clubs, who cannot be relegated from the closed-shop elite, five clubs will be entitled to qualify each season.

All matches will be played in midweek slots, with the clubs insistent they will be able to continue to play in their domestic leagues and “preserve the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game”."

Yeah nah... Hope this becomes a colossal fuck up. Or alternatively, the FAs fine them by every dollar they make ten fold. 

Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Butler99 - 19 Apr 2021 9:13 AM

It’s not entirely similar. 
A-League is a professional setup. 
The NPL is an amateur setup. 

No club currently in the NPL was ever professional. 
Perhaps south melbourne tried for a year but then reverted back to semi-pro. 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

And yet the Aleague aficionados are up in arms over this. Rugari and co are claiming this is the death of football... Ah the irony.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 19 Apr 2021 7:39 AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14686517/man-utd-arsenal-chelsea-european-super-league-uefa/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunsportchelseafacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1618750181

All the objections to this league by former players, managers, pundits and even the UK prime minister are completely interchangeable with why the A League, as a closed shop, is fucked.

Lowy was a visionary and way ahead of his time it seems. :)
Looks like we aren't "unique" after all. hahahahhahaha
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Hey they ripped off my idea of having teams qualify to get in each year but in my case only the Npl grand final winner that qualifys
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

I'm not a fan of the idea but I'd question the legality of UEFA's, FIFA's and all the various FA's threats. Restriction of trade is a pretty serious issue and with the legal resources of 10 of the richest clubs on earth, the threatened sanctions may not be possible. Those like Neville publicly calling it criminal and asking for titles to be stripped and teams to be relegated should definitely be careful what they say.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Difference here is the aleague was set up as a full time professional competition when the NPL is semi pro.

This concept however is all about a pure money grab and isolate the rest of the football pyramid to take all the money from themselves, this will change football forever and turn this into a NFL or NBA style of league.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The threats are meaningful at the end of the day these owners are bloody rich and will get what they want especially someone like Florentino Perez who is known to get his own way almost every time he makes an decision for Real Madrid's interest.

If more clubs join this, it will just give the clubs more leverage and therefore weaken the top 4 leagues as the talent pool will be vacuumed to the Super League concept.

I can see UEFA and the leagues do a deal so it keeps the big clubs happy if this Super League doesnt go through, but it will change the conception of football in Europe for good.
Zoltan
Zoltan
Hacker
Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)Hacker (482 reputation)

Kamaryn - 19 Apr 2021 10:12 AM
I'm not a fan of the idea but I'd question the legality of UEFA's, FIFA's and all the various FA's threats. Restriction of trade is a pretty serious issue and with the legal resources of 10 of the richest clubs on earth, the threatened sanctions may not be possible. Those like Neville publicly calling it criminal and asking for titles to be stripped and teams to be relegated should definitely be careful what they say.

I think you might find that the clubs could be in breach of various contracts...

If thats the case then the leagues are just using the leverage they have. 

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with restraint of trade just two pulls pushing and shoving..
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Barca4Life - 19 Apr 2021 10:32 AM

Difference here is the aleague was set up as a full time professional competition when the NPL is semi pro.

This concept however is all about a pure money grab and isolate the rest of the football pyramid to take all the money from themselves, this will change football forever and turn this into a NFL or NBA style of league.

Mate, NPL, NPL 2 and some NPL3 clubs all around the country pay their players (some very well BTW) AND charge admission to the ground for spectators.
No different to every other league in Europe being affected by this. 
Only difference is that in Europe 99.99% of fans hate this idea with a passion whereas in Australia it was seen as a great way of appealing to the AFL and NRL fans.... and keeping the wogs out.
IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS WHAT LOWY DID TO FOOTBALL IN AUSTRALIA 16 YEARS AGO!!! Only difference is that at least the Super League in Europe is inviting a select few of the existing clubs to participate.... I will absolutely shit myself if they decide to create one city mega franchises like here if some of the English and Italian Clubs change their minds... hahahahah Birmingham Victory vs Milan Jets anyone? hahahahahahha
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I’m probably never going to follow this league I’m sure a small minority will be the same. But eventually like the Qatar World Cup everyone will watch it 
Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro

Zoltan - 19 Apr 2021 10:47 AM
Kamaryn - 19 Apr 2021 10:12 AM

I think you might find that the clubs could be in breach of various contracts...

If thats the case then the leagues are just using the leverage they have. 

As far as I can see this has nothing to do with restraint of trade just two pulls pushing and shoving..

That'll be the question. But at the moment, they already have friendly games and even pre-season tournaments for "cups" and it is allowed. Obviously these aren't equivalent, but once they've established that other games and tournaments are allowed, they could argue they are being denied the opportunity to do this. Especially if they say they have no intention of leaving the various comps they are already in.

I'm not arguing for any of this by the way. I don't know what the contracts state, my comments are all complete speculation from a position of ignorance. I just wonder if they will legally be allowed to just ban clubs from playing in an extra comp.

It'll be messy to put it lightly.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kamaryn
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

So Europe copies Australia... no P & R ... play across different nations...

Interestingly ..... VERY INTERESTING.... would a 20 team ASIAN competition work, 

Australia 6 teams
Malaysia 6 teams
Indonesia 6 teams
Singapore 2 teams.   
Buggalugs the Third
Buggalugs the Third
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)Hardcore Fan (227 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
So, Top 5 might get relegated

Novel.

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Apr 2021 10:52 AM
Barca4Life - 19 Apr 2021 10:32 AM

Mate, NPL, NPL 2 and some NPL3 clubs all around the country pay their players (some very well BTW) AND charge admission to the ground for spectators.
No different to every other league in Europe being affected by this. 
Only difference is that in Europe 99.99% of fans hate this idea with a passion whereas in Australia it was seen as a great way of appealing to the AFL and NRL fans.... and keeping the wogs out.
IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS WHAT LOWY DID TO FOOTBALL IN AUSTRALIA 16 YEARS AGO!!! Only difference is that at least the Super League in Europe is inviting a select few of the existing clubs to participate.... I will absolutely shit myself if they decide to create one city mega franchises like here if some of the English and Italian Clubs change their minds... hahahahah Birmingham Victory vs Milan Jets anyone? hahahahahahha

You know what a difference between a full time professional to a semi pro environment looks like?

The Crawford report recommended a full time league to replace the NSL which had no legs anymore.

This is an completly different situation here where the clubs had no control of running their own clubs from the FFA (now FootballAustralia)

Anything to throw your agenda against Aus football, well done...anyway stop ruining threads like you always do.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

Midfielder - 19 Apr 2021 10:57 AM
So Europe copies Australia... no P & R ... play across different nations...

Interestingly ..... VERY INTERESTING.... would a 20 team ASIAN competition work, 

Australia 6 teams
Malaysia 6 teams
Indonesia 6 teams
Singapore 2 teams.   

Actually this won't surprise me if more Super League's are created around the world now, this could be a bad moment for football if the European one comes through.
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Everyone is up in arms about it, but if no one watches it will fail. The issue is the clubs know everyone will watch it because the love of football outweighs the hate of this idea and the clubs know it. 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Barca4Life - 19 Apr 2021 11:01 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Apr 2021 10:52 AM

You know what a difference between a full time professional to a semi pro environment looks like?

The Crawford report recommended a full time league to replace the NSL which had no legs anymore.

This is an completly different situation here where the clubs had no control of running their own clubs from the FFA (now FootballAustralia)

Anything to throw your agenda against Aus football, well done...anyway stop ruining threads like you always do.

So Lowy followed the Crawford report? hahahahahhah Oh man, thats gold. AND it recommended the league needed to be replaced? hahahah 
This mythical report has become like the Bible, no one has read it but everyone seems to quote from it ....
OK, Ill leave you to your thread about how terrible it is that a bunch of rich owners want to establish a closed off cartel super league separate from all the other teams in their respective countries... totally different to the Aleague which only does it because we are unique?
BTW If I had an agenda against Autralian Football I wouldn't dedicate so much of my life and money to following my club and country around.

Kamaryn
Kamaryn
Pro

Barca4Life - 19 Apr 2021 11:02 AM
Midfielder - 19 Apr 2021 10:57 AM

Actually this won't surprise me if more Super League's are created around the world now, this could be a bad moment for football if the European one comes through.

Yup. I wouldn't be suprised if eventually there are several tiers of a world league, followed by tiers of regional leagues. And I wouldn't be surprised if what effectively happens is every major city in the world becomes a 1 or 2 club city (and some small nations 1 team nations), and all the lower league teams are effectively feeders for the big clubs. Loyalty will be to the city and whole cities will unify behind their own teams, rather than individual clubs. The revenue involved would be phenomenal.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kamaryn
Slice of Cheese
Slice of Cheese
Weekender
Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)Weekender (48 reputation)

Checkout Gary Neville’s take right now. He’s not holding back!
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Whether the NSL was pro, semi pro or amateur is besides the point. 

The point is this new league and the A league are a closed shops.

Any team in Europe, in fact the world, can eventually make their way to the top tier on merit whether they're amateur when they start their journey or not.

The NSL 'it wasn't even pro' is a bullshit distraction.

Member since 2008.

Volkz
Volkz
Hacker
Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)Hacker (440 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 19 Apr 2021 11:31 AM
Whether the NSL was pro, semi pro or amateur is besides the point. 

The point is this new league and the A league are a closed shops.

Any team in Europe, in fact the world, can eventually make their way to the top tier on merit whether they're amateur when they start their journey or not.

The NSL 'it wasn't even pro' is a bullshit distraction.

There is a difference of a league trying to maintain itself in record to create a second division and ultimately make an open pyramid rather than this. This whole comparison to A-league is just mindless waffle again done by the same blokes over and over again. People for whatever reason, do not understand financials and structure. If the Australian football market (the general population who watch/play football and all potential sponsors) actually wanted to speed up the process and make it happen, it would of already happened. Not enough of the Australian football market cares at all hence the slowness and frustration.    
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

It'll be very hard to create a break away with no support
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

huddo - 19 Apr 2021 12:02 PM
It'll be very hard to create a break away with no support

People will support it like the Qatar World Cup or anything else that is stupid that’s popular 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search