The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

The Orange Army. (Brisbane Roar Official Thread)

Author
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
someguyjc - 9 May 2022 12:15 PM
Roar in me Blood - 9 May 2022 10:34 AM

It really is the missing piece. If you look at the stats, if Roar had converted just 8 more goals for the entire season they could be in 6th and playing finals football. As an example, if Roar had Jason Cummings, I have no doubt they would be a top 4 side this season. 

And if we’d converted just 20 more goals, we’d have won the league!!!
For the past two seasons Moon has had 3 or 4 potential DM options and one AM option (O’Shea). Yet he insists on playing O’Shea deep, and Daley (a serviceable 6) in a more advanced position. And people wonder why we don’t score goals? 
Someone above posted that Moon knows O’Shea is better in the final third. We’ll he’s had two seasons to work out how to make this happen and has failed dismally.
If Moon stays it will be further evidence that we’ve become nothing more than a ‘participation’ club. 

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

micdry8 - 14 May 2022 11:59 PM
For me
Keep
Holmes, Brown, Aldred, Trewin, Neville, Zabala, Chapman, O'Shea, Adams, Mileusnic, Parsons, Hore, Ivanovic, Dehmie. 

50/50
Freke, Brindell-South, Daley, Hingert

Sel/Release
Steinmann, Olsen, Lofthouse, Lescano.

Interested to hear any thoughts. 

I mostly agree with your keep list - but not Dehmie and you forgot Akbari. Dehmie has something but his lack of balance and control is a luxury that we do not have the bank to allow. In a set and performing team bringing him on at 60 minutes could see him repay the faith - but we are not in that position yet. If Moon recruits well this pre-season and has the freedom to play people where they are best suited rather than where we need to fill gaps then Dehmie can be an unpredictable strike weapon.

The 50/50 list are all decent bench players and squaddies at worst - and I am not personally writing HIngert off as a starting player for one more season. Injuries aside (which may be an age factor that cannot be overlooked) when he was fully fit and had a week between games he was still performing at a good level and had some very good games. When we have a goal lead and want to cut down our opponents chances to equalise, Daley is a player made for that role and not a bad squaddie/bench player.

Olsen for me deserves to be in the 50/50 list too. Very new to the senior team scene and showing some inexperience, but I was impressed by a lot of what he did both with and without the ball. Might be one worth developing for the future.

Lofthouse I feel needs some age and muscles before we really know about him. He shows some promise but still has the reluctance of youth to put his commitment into challenges and beating players. Squad with the occasional bench role is where I see him now and I would love to have him stepping up as he grows.

Question is, how many emerging players can we afford to have on our books given the league's squad number limitation? First choice and a good backup for every position is a minimum you would expect - does not leave a lot of space for the developing players. 22 full players plus an emerging keeper, defender, midfielder and forward is the 26 maximum used up.

When I wear their colours, I am the club.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 11:44 AM

I mostly agree with your keep list - but not Dehmie and you forgot Akbari. Dehmie has something but his lack of balance and control is a luxury that we do not have the bank to allow. In a set and performing team bringing him on at 60 minutes could see him repay the faith - but we are not in that position yet. If Moon recruits well this pre-season and has the freedom to play people where they are best suited rather than where we need to fill gaps then Dehmie can be an unpredictable strike weapon.

The 50/50 list are all decent bench players and squaddies at worst - and I am not personally writing HIngert off as a starting player for one more season. Injuries aside (which may be an age factor that cannot be overlooked) when he was fully fit and had a week between games he was still performing at a good level and had some very good games. When we have a goal lead and want to cut down our opponents chances to equalise, Daley is a player made for that role and not a bad squaddie/bench player.

Olsen for me deserves to be in the 50/50 list too. Very new to the senior team scene and showing some inexperience, but I was impressed by a lot of what he did both with and without the ball. Might be one worth developing for the future.

Lofthouse I feel needs some age and muscles before we really know about him. He shows some promise but still has the reluctance of youth to put his commitment into challenges and beating players. Squad with the occasional bench role is where I see him now and I would love to have him stepping up as he grows.

Question is, how many emerging players can we afford to have on our books given the league's squad number limitation? First choice and a good backup for every position is a minimum you would expect - does not leave a lot of space for the developing players. 22 full players plus an emerging keeper, defender, midfielder and forward is the 26 maximum used up.

Don't you think that the mere fact that hingert is still in thus conversation is indicative of deep, deep problems with the standard of the squad? 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

clockwork orange - 15 May 2022 8:26 AM
someguyjc - 9 May 2022 12:15 PM

And if we’d converted just 20 more goals, we’d have won the league!!!
For the past two seasons Moon has had 3 or 4 potential DM options and one AM option (O’Shea). Yet he insists on playing O’Shea deep, and Daley (a serviceable 6) in a more advanced position. And people wonder why we don’t score goals? 
Someone above posted that Moon knows O’Shea is better in the final third. We’ll he’s had two seasons to work out how to make this happen and has failed dismally.
If Moon stays it will be further evidence that we’ve become nothing more than a ‘participation’ club. 

Yeah, I was the one who said it.

Moon did not get the DM he wanted in Steinmann, and none of the others were good enough by themselves to both hold the line and create going forward. Steinmann is on Moon, but his absence meant Moon had to cover the creative side of the DM role or risk the ball not getting forward with any level of control. Akbari can play creatively but his defence is not as sound. So Moon has used two players to fill one function and allowed them to run forward more than a single DM would. Chapman might be good enough to fill the role properly.

I see Moon tied to the players he inherited and the players he recruited and not having what he needs to field everyone where they belong when recruits failed and players got injured.

I have no problem with Moon putting O'Shea back if that is his only good option - but I can still point out what a poor outcome that is for us. Maybe he has learned more this season that he could at lower levels coaching where players could spill into adjacent roles without being too inefficient. At aleague men's level you cannot afford to have an 80% fit and expect 100% results. If Moon has learned this season then his development is continuing as a coach and we should see a different and better approach through the off season, pre-season and into the season proper.

I am hopeful of this and I think Moon knows what he has to do.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

charlied - 15 May 2022 11:55 AM

Don't you think that the mere fact that hingert is still in thus conversation is indicative of deep, deep problems with the standard of the squad? 

I think I may not have been clear enough.

I rate Hingert and always have. Fully fit and rested I would have him in my side gladly despite his 'age'. If he is physically able to perform at the level we need him to be week in week out then having him in the discussion is a no-brainer to me. He is quality as a RB for us even though he would be that much better if his crossing improved. I see Zabala as a capable replacement who needs time behind a first choice RB to learn his craft.

My 50/50 for Hingert is not knowing how his body is capable of going into and through next season.

So short answer is No - discussing Hingert for me is not indicative of problems in the standard of the squad.

I am happy for people to think the discussion is indicative of the problems with the standard of supporter Roar has (ie. me).

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 12:05 PM
charlied - 15 May 2022 11:55 AM

I think I may not have been clear enough.

I rate Hingert and always have. Fully fit and rested I would have him in my side gladly despite his 'age'. If he is physically able to perform at the level we need him to be week in week out then having him in the discussion is a no-brainer to me. He is quality as a RB for us even though he would be that much better if his crossing improved. I see Zabala as a capable replacement who needs time behind a first choice RB to learn his craft.

My 50/50 for Hingert is not knowing how his body is capable of going into and through next season.

So short answer is No - discussing Hingert for me is not indicative of problems in the standard of the squad.

I am happy for people to think the discussion is indicative of the problems with the standard of supporter Roar has (ie. me).

My view is that he wasn’t first team standard at his peak. Which was a long time ago. 

charlied
charlied
Pro

charlied - 15 May 2022 12:36 PM
Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 12:05 PM

My view is that he wasn’t first team standard at his peak. Which was a long time ago. 

And lack of playing time backs this. Standards at Brisbane have fallen precipitously over the past few years. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

charlied - 15 May 2022 12:37 PM
charlied - 15 May 2022 12:36 PM

And lack of playing time backs this. Standards at Brisbane have fallen precipitously over the past few years. 

I know your view was shared by many.

But for me, our backline (at full strength) has been bloody good over the last few seasons and is the one strength that defies the precipitous fall of our stakes.

Our midfield has rise and fallen many times depending on who plays and what position they play - but I actually dispute our precipitous fall outright when it comes down to it.

We have not had a consistent and reliable scorer over several seasons now. Replace any of our forwards with one of those (the hardest and most expensive player to get) and we would have been contenders each of the seasons from Fowler on with nothing more than the rest of the players we have had. We have been creative and dangerous, solid and resilient, all over the pitch except where games are won in front of goals.

Our depth has been our greatest weakness after a lack of a goal scorer - so every good player we lose hurts us more than it should. Lose a couple of our base players and none of my arguments hold true any more.

And that is probably the real snapshot and downfall of the club. Good first choice team and steep drop away the more of them we lose.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 11:56 AM
clockwork orange - 15 May 2022 8:26 AM

Moon did not get the DM he wanted in Steinmann.

I see Moon tied to the players he inherited and the players he recruited and not having what he needs to field everyone where they belong when recruits failed and players got injured.

Are you saying Moon did not want to sign Steinmann or that Steinmann was not as good as Moon thought he was?

When you say Moon is “tied to the players he inherited” this was a playing group that finished 4th. He already had a great foundation from which to build. (Note, Fowler was a novice coach who rebuilt a side from last to 4th (after losing 14 players).

In two seasons since Moon has lost Gillesphey, had some sort of bust up with Macca (our best attacker), and got rid of 2 crowd favourites in Young and DWH. None of our signings have improved the starting 11 Moon inherited.

So yes, he is tied to what he inherited - and he’s done pretty poorly with it.  Personally, I’d like my coach to be a fully fledged top level coach - not someone using my team as a “learning experience”.

Part of our problem going forward is that I doubt whether any top player out there thinks “Oh, I’d love to go to Brisbane to learn from Warren Moon, or play alongside <insert name here>.”
Our past coaches at least had connections and/or reputations that helped attract players.

The fact that Connor Chapman (who’s played 28 games in the last 4 seasons) is probably Moon’s best signing in two seasons, says a lot about how far we’ve fallen as a club.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 1:00 PM
charlied - 15 May 2022 12:37 PM

I know your view was shared by many.

But for me, our backline (at full strength) has been bloody good over the last few seasons and is the one strength that defies the precipitous fall of our stakes.

We have not had a consistent and reliable scorer over several seasons now. Replace any of our forwards with one of those (the hardest and most expensive player to get) and we would have been contenders each of the seasons from Fowler on with nothing more than the rest of the players we have had. 

Our depth has been our greatest weakness after a lack of a goal scorer - so every good player we lose hurts us more than it should. 
I pretty much agree with the above. But …
1. Moon pretty much inherited the defence. It is no better than it was when Fowler left - probably worse with the loss of Gillesphey.
2. Moon lost DWH and McDonald. Who’s job is it to ensure these players are replaced with equal or better?
3. Whose job is it to strengthen the squad by signing quality players or developing a system that makes the team better than the sum of individuals?

It seems like your expectations of a coach don’t include responsibility for transfers out, signings, getting the best out of his current players, or coming up with tactics based on the squad he’s got. 

If only we had signed better players, and the players we did sign played better, and we had the best striker in the league, we’d do better?

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

clockwork orange - 15 May 2022 1:06 PM
Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 11:56 AM

Are you saying Moon did not want to sign Steinmann or that Steinmann was not as good as Moon thought he was?

When you say Moon is “tied to the players he inherited” this was a playing group that finished 4th. He already had a great foundation from which to build. (Note, Fowler was a novice coach who rebuilt a side from last to 4th (after losing 14 players).

In two seasons since Moon has lost Gillesphey, had some sort of bust up with Macca (our best attacker), and got rid of 2 crowd favourites in Young and DWH. None of our signings have improved the starting 11 Moon inherited.

So yes, he is tied to what he inherited - and he’s done pretty poorly with it.  Personally, I’d like my coach to be a fully fledged top level coach - not someone using my team as a “learning experience”.

Part of our problem going forward is that I doubt whether any top player out there thinks “Oh, I’d love to go to Brisbane to learn from Warren Moon, or play alongside <insert name here>.”
Our past coaches at least had connections and/or reputations that helped attract players.

The fact that Connor Chapman (who’s played 28 games in the last 4 seasons) is probably Moon’s best signing in two seasons, says a lot about how far we’ve fallen as a club.

Totally saying Steinmann was not the player he thought he was.

I am not saying 'poor Moon has had it tough' - just that working with what he had could have been much better until Aldred got injured, then Ivanovic and Mileusnic in whatever order. His plans for the season were out from the start and the players he had left were not able to fill what was left by Aldred's injury and a poor Steinmann just as a start.

DWH, Young, Danzaki and even the prancing penalty taker were key to our 4th place finish (not in that order of course). The team that was fit and available this season was a big drop from Fowler's legacy and from last season too.

For us, recruiting to cover our losses over the last couple of seasons was a huge factor. I agree that Moon does not have the contacts and pull to lure a bigger name in - that would take sums of money that I have no idea of our chances of getting. I do have a strong feeling that we would have no chance but cannot back that by actual knowledge.

Sure, having a proven top flight coach would be better by far than a journeyman making his way. It is what we got though (and I am not down on the club for going local). The younger players Moon knew and has brought through are mostly doing well.

I don't see Chapman's lack of game time to be so relevant. Aldred and Gillesphey just for comparison were not 'names' that brought hope - and in fact many out there bagged their selections - but how they played and continued to play bore out that selection. Chapman may be as good and, being such a great place, maybe he will stay put too. On the flipside Steinmann actually came with a great deal of expectation that wasn't realised.

For Macca - I cannot see past my own view that Macca had only Macca in his thoughts and no bust up was required for him to go where he wanted to go. "I always wanted to play for Wanderers" said he was always looking for a step up in his mind, and it ended up with the same ring of truth as Dimi wanting to be near family then going to Korea, and Ange here to build a legacy the day before he ditched us for Victory.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Roar in me Blood - 15 May 2022 1:32 PM
clockwork orange - 15 May 2022 1:06 PM

Totally saying Steinmann was not the player he thought he was.

I am not saying 'poor Moon has had it tough' - just that working with what he had could have been much better until Aldred got injured, then Ivanovic and Mileusnic in whatever order. His plans for the season were out from the start and the players he had left were not able to fill what was left by Aldred's injury and a poor Steinmann just as a start.

DWH, Young, Danzaki and even the prancing penalty taker were key to our 4th place finish (not in that order of course). The team that was fit and available this season was a big drop from Fowler's legacy and from last season too.

For us, recruiting to cover our losses over the last couple of seasons was a huge factor. I agree that Moon does not have the contacts and pull to lure a bigger name in - that would take sums of money that I have no idea of our chances of getting. I do have a strong feeling that we would have no chance but cannot back that by actual knowledge.

Sure, having a proven top flight coach would be better by far than a journeyman making his way. It is what we got though (and I am not down on the club for going local). The younger players Moon knew and has brought through are mostly doing well.

I don't see Chapman's lack of game time to be so relevant. Aldred and Gillesphey just for comparison were not 'names' that brought hope - and in fact many out there bagged their selections - but how they played and continued to play bore out that selection. Chapman may be as good and, being such a great place, maybe he will stay put too. On the flipside Steinmann actually came with a great deal of expectation that wasn't realised.

For Macca - I cannot see past my own view that Macca had only Macca in his thoughts and no bust up was required for him to go where he wanted to go. "I always wanted to play for Wanderers" said he was always looking for a step up in his mind, and it ended up with the same ring of truth as Dimi wanting to be near family then going to Korea, and Ange here to build a legacy the day before he ditched us for Victory.

RIMB, I love your passion and optimism for the team. But it is ultimately the coach’s job to get the right players and get the most out of them. 
The main problem I have with Moon, is that he doesn’t seem to have a vision for the front 5-6. He just seemed to be experimenting with something different every game. O’Shea at DM, at CM, RM, Left striker etc. Akbari at DM, RM, Striker…. Etc. I get it if he’d just taken over, but this was his second season with these players.
I think a four man midfield (or 3-1) of Daley, Steinmann, Akbari and O’Shea could have been ok, but no formation was given more than a few games to develop.
I just went through our lineup for every game this season and it’s difficult to see what Moon’s preferred formation is, let alone his ideal first 11.

micdry8
micdry8
Under 7s
Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)Under 7s (6 reputation)

Akbari would be a keep for sure. I agree Dehmie is not quite the final product yet and is not starting quality, but I am hoping he fulfills his potential as from all reports he is doing well in the youth league and is only 19 (Where a lot of the other young prospects in the first team are 22 odd). I love Hingert as a long time outstanding servant to the club and yeah I think he might have one more season in him, but honestly I have rated Zabala as a better prospect at right back whenever he has done a job there. Would love to see Zabala given more shots at starting. Daley is just there for the legs really in my opinion, bench player at best. 

To be brutally honest, Olsen is a shocking footballer imo. I cant fault his work rate and runs off the ball, but his touch, passing, crossing ability is terrible. Simple stuff that lets him down a lot of the time. Lofthouse's decision making was so frustrating to watch this year, I never had any doubts about his technical ability but he just seems like a very selfish player who doesn't suit the team as plays constantly breakdown with his poor decisions to try and take on 2/3 players. Hopefully could mature with age as he's technically very tidy. 

Absolutely right there, how many emerging players can we afford. I feel like we have many youth players with potential, but we need proper first team level starters to improve the team.  
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

I agree mostly with All said here and do really think Moon cannot decide on best formation or players best positions apart from backline.
And if that’s is the case, I’m still worried for him for next season because that should have been decided on months ago.

All our  signings have failed to live up to standard this year with the exception of Mileusnic.

And look at DWH in a grand final and Daggers should have been. 
These young guys are performing but we let them go and bring in well below par players that I bet we are paying more for.

im just not sure Moon is the guy, much as I like him.

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

Mello-D - 9 May 2022 8:38 AM
Anyone heard anything about Moreton Daily stadium ongoing? 
Likely reading too much into it, but club just posted on Twitter for tomorrow's game "Our final fixture, our home farewell, and our last chance this season to upset the Smurfs", 
Wonder what home farewell means? 

Roar now posting about Suncorp, hinting at a return. I'm guessing a few of our bigger games will be at Suncorp but will still play at Redcliffe to keep costs down for smaller games.

Would be great to head back to Suncorp for any games really. 
Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star
Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)Rising Star (976 reputation)

I have to say I like Redcliffe, it’s easy for food, a beer, viewing is good.
it feels like you are closer to the action.
I know it doesn’t suit everyone but many do like it.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Mello-D - 24 Jun 2022 6:58 PM
Mello-D - 9 May 2022 8:38 AM

Roar now posting about Suncorp, hinting at a return. I'm guessing a few of our bigger games will be at Suncorp but will still play at Redcliffe to keep costs down for smaller games.

Would be great to head back to Suncorp for any games really. 

I live close to Dolphin and I would welcome a return to Suncorp.

Opening the games up to more people beats my convenience easily and there is something about walking into Suncorp that is an unmatchable feeling even for a little game.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

I also have my fingers crossed for Charlie Austin.

Would fit the 'proven striker' requirement and it would be nice to have another decent goal scorer for a season before WU, SFC, MV, MC or WSW took him off us ;)

Jimo8
Jimo8
Rising Star

Reading the ins and outs doesn’t give much excitement for Roar fans so far.
Great that Hore has resigned and he’ll score some goals.
Players who can find the net consistently when the opportunity arises are the hard to find, but that’s what we need.
i think it’s an endemic problem in Aussie football, with the exception of Cahill, Viduka etc.
I guess it results from kids just not spending time kicking the ball in the net, simple as that.
Couple boys I know have spent countless hours just having fun kicking the ball in the net and are now becoming prolific finishers with any sniff they get.

Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

Jimo8 - 25 Jun 2022 9:28 AM
Reading the ins and outs doesn’t give much excitement for Roar fans so far.
Great that Hore has resigned and he’ll score some goals.
Players who can find the net consistently when the opportunity arises are the hard to find, but that’s what we need.
i think it’s an endemic problem in Aussie football, with the exception of Cahill, Viduka etc.
I guess it results from kids just not spending time kicking the ball in the net, simple as that.
Couple boys I know have spent countless hours just having fun kicking the ball in the net and are now becoming prolific finishers with any sniff they get.

Parsons and Olsen were both potential good players - but had not hit their peak so they are not going to be missed as much as a more established player might be. Wada just never got off the ground so I don't know if we have missed an opportunity with him.

Mlinaric signing is an OK squad signing for me but not a raver.

Hore is another who can develop into a really good player based on his nose for goals in lower level football and what he has shown so far at the senior level. I am glad we have re-signed him.

Assuming the Austin rumours/discussions are true is a fantastic indicator. To me it shows we are looking for the right sort of player in our key area of weakness.

Will be interesting to see what team we field for the Queensland Champions Cup with Aston Villa and Leeds and how (if?) our structure and play might have changed since the league finished. Regardless, will be great to see good live football between seasons. One game at Suncorp (not Roar), and one at the Gold Coast - I am not making the trip to the third game up North.

Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

So Charlie Austin announced, new major sponsor and 3 games at Suncorp (with reference to eventually moving back to Suncorp full time). Memberships on sale 7 July as well, so assuming prices/packages should come out soon. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Mello-D - 27 Jun 2022 11:11 AM
So Charlie Austin announced, new major sponsor and 3 games at Suncorp (with reference to eventually moving back to Suncorp full time). Memberships on sale 7 July as well, so assuming prices/packages should come out soon. 

Good to see Roar making positive steps forward. How many would you expect at suncorp? 
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur

Melbcityguy - 27 Jun 2022 12:16 PM
Mello-D - 27 Jun 2022 11:11 AM

Good to see Roar making positive steps forward. How many would you expect at suncorp? 

Would depend on the day of the week, who the opposition is and sadly, how the team is performing. I imagine if the first game back at Suncorp is a Friday night game against Sydney or Victory early on in the season you might see 12,000. I imagine that would drop off for the next two games, but if they can average 10,000 at Suncorp I think that would be good. 
If the games are later on in the season and we're sitting 2nd from the bottom, we'd probably be looking at 7,000 I reckon. 
Booney
Booney
Amateur
Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)Amateur (667 reputation)

I could never understand why Roar let DWH go?  A busy striker willing to put himself about and make those runs in behind defenders.Sure he missed some sitters but he did score some beauties and in the season just gone he went from strength to strength with the Lost Boys of Melbourne.

Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)Super Fan (139 reputation)

Random question and sorry if its been mentioned already, but where do the roar train? And is it a permanent home?
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur

Squidley - 27 Jun 2022 6:32 PM
Random question and sorry if its been mentioned already, but where do the roar train? And is it a permanent home?

Training on the Gold Coast at the moment, but there is a potential move back to a Brisbane training ground at some point. 
Hillbilly55
Hillbilly55
Amateur
Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)Amateur (533 reputation)

Apparently Robbie Kruse has signed. Good news. Without injuries he should have had a great career, even so, good CV.
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

Hillbilly55 - 27 Jun 2022 8:58 PM
Apparently Robbie Kruse has signed. Good news. Without injuries he should have had a great career, even so, good CV.

that is not good news, we absolutely do not need another injury prone attacker. Ivanovic and melusenic couldnt put 2 games together last season and the disjointedness ruined our chances. Kruse's body is shot at 34, he played 10 games last season. Im sure a lot dont remember how he left the club the first time around but it left a bad taste in a lot of fans mouths, sure he has matured a lot since then but surely he is done at this level. 

if we are looking at wingers why would you not give borrello a look. at least at 26 he has time to overcome his injuries. 
Roar in me Blood
Roar in me Blood
Pro

sirhcdobo - 28 Jun 2022 9:13 AM
Hillbilly55 - 27 Jun 2022 8:58 PM

that is not good news, we absolutely do not need another injury prone attacker. Ivanovic and melusenic couldnt put 2 games together last season and the disjointedness ruined our chances. Kruse's body is shot at 34, he played 10 games last season. Im sure a lot dont remember how he left the club the first time around but it left a bad taste in a lot of fans mouths, sure he has matured a lot since then but surely he is done at this level. 

if we are looking at wingers why would you not give borrello a look. at least at 26 he has time to overcome his injuries. 

Like him or not, at least it shows some very serious intent from our owners to improve the football we are playing and the team we have to do it.

Kruse has the capability to create opportunities at a very high level. Put Charlie Austin on the end of those chances and we have gone from promising youth creating and wasting opportunities to proven skilled players hopefully converting those chances to points.

We may have played it cheap through covid as money got tighter the world over - but the direction we seem to be heading now is such a great step forward that we might even see some of our estranged peers giving the team a little more consideration than they have been since both our slump and move to Dolphin.

I am happy to give Kruse the benefit of the doubt and will be cheering him on 100% as a more mature version of himself and ignoring the down side of his history with us.

The squad is looking significantly better already and, more than the usual pre-season interest, I am looking forward to seeing more entertaining and rewarding football in the new season from a better rounded and professional outfit.

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Roar local youth policy seems to be over as Eli Adams follows Parsons out the door.Adams to our development club.
Edited
2 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search