2024 Australia Cup

2024 Australia Cup

Author
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
southoftheyarra - 12 Sep 2024 12:26 AM
Im really conflicted about the hume fans, on one hand its really good seeing active support from a rival team, creates a better atmosphere... But its worrying seeing these new fans (they weren't around last few seasons) openly display the wolf salute (look it up). Drumming...cool, türkiye...cool but the wolf stuff just doesn't fly (especially when posted by Australia cup lol). Did anyone notice the 3-4 melbourne victory chants during the cup game...odd, but not the first time far right melbourne victory fans have done this bullshit, if people remember the south preston game from this year a section of the 'fans' in the south area were apparently golden dawn horda members (apparently they threw the flair onto the pitch), haven't seen them since ... good, we all hate them. I want to see more people at npl games but srs, melbourne victory fans stay at home. However they are just teenagers (funny because they probably weren't alive for any of the nsl), I'm going off who was trying to start something during the south hume dockerty cup game and that was both teams, the hume 'fans' and the south 'fans', I think its all just for social media. Hopefully they age out of it. I'm all for the palestinian flag but its just ironic that erdoğan has done nothing for them ... anyways thoughts?

I think it's a bit of a teenage thing, can be more of a problem at NPL levels when clubs have no ongoing active support to self regulate young joiners.

Victory chants don't necessarily mean Victory fans are there. A lot of NPL fans go to A-League games and many NT chants are just part of football culture in Melbourne now. Seen them chanted at NPL games, by Aussie Rules teams and even in nightclubs.

Regarding Horda, they seem to pop up at any big game. Unfortunately for South, they have featured in a few of those this year...
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)

SoccerLogic - 12 Sep 2024 12:51 AM

I think it's a bit of a teenage thing, can be more of a problem at NPL levels when clubs have no ongoing active support to self regulate young joiners.

Victory chants don't necessarily mean Victory fans are there. A lot of NPL fans go to A-League games and many NT chants are just part of football culture in Melbourne now. Seen them chanted at NPL games, by Aussie Rules teams and even in nightclubs.

Regarding Horda, they seem to pop up at any big game. Unfortunately for South, they have featured in a few of those this year...

Interesting, I guess its just strange after going to npl games for almost a decade now I'm hearing all those chants now. To be honest I've only ever spotted horda recently at the preston game, they don't really rock up to home games (good) and horda arne't welcome. That said with preston getting promoted...
HappyGuus
HappyGuus
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)Hardcore Fan (250 reputation)

openly display the wolf salute (look it up)

I'd never heard of it. Google says it's a "neo-fascism"?

southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)Fan (64 reputation)

HappyGuus - 12 Sep 2024 1:21 AM

I'd never heard of it. Google says it's a "neo-fascism"?

ding ding ding! During the euros it was featured pretty heavily from some select fans and players.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

The weather killed any chance of a big Hume pay day, crowd was announced as 1,700 i think. I've barely missed a game all season but didnt go tonight, the weather was atrocious and Hume have a tiny stand. Personally know heaps of ppl that didnt go. I know soneone in the Hume commitee and they were hoping for 4,000+ in the leadup.

For the sake of the club i hope Macarthur beats Oakleigh so we can host the semi. Would have the potential to be a monster crowd, just need the weather to behave.

Thought both teams played well, South didnt look panicked like the grand final and nowhere near as many long balls tonight. Hume would be gutted to lose to South 5 times this season.

The rumour is that Sawyer indeed played his final game for South tonight, big blow heading into the semi. Hopefully Jake Marshall will return.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Active support has basically plagued this sport in this country for decades.

Everyone loves the atmosphere they bring but we can't deny it also brings the dickheads who are looking for trouble. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

SoccerLogic - 12 Sep 2024 12:51 AM

yer I was hearing the chants through watching 10+ - couldn't make it out very well mind you.
Definately teenage and early 20's idiots that are not really there for the football but a gathering as called today and cause probs, same applies with APL coherts tbh.
Whoever leads them should be found and banned imo.

Yes real shame the weather sucked in Melb last night for it should have been a bigger crowd.
Was a pretty good game, I was more impressed with Humes play 1st half, they looked the better side.
Kudos SMH hanging in coming back and winning during ET.
Real shame if Sawyer is gone for next game for his size and play would be missed alot.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

southmelb - 12 Sep 2024 1:42 AM
The weather killed any chance of a big Hume pay day, crowd was announced as 1,700 i think. I've barely missed a game all season but didnt go tonight, the weather was atrocious and Hume have a tiny stand. Personally know heaps of ppl that didnt go. I know soneone in the Hume commitee and they were hoping for 4,000+ in the leadup.

For the sake of the club i hope Macarthur beats Oakleigh so we can host the semi. Would have the potential to be a monster crowd, just need the weather to behave.

Thought both teams played well, South didnt look panicked like the grand final and nowhere near as many long balls tonight. Hume would be gutted to lose to South 5 times this season.

The rumour is that Sawyer indeed played his final game for South tonight, big blow heading into the semi. Hopefully Jake Marshall will return.

You missed a classic mate. great second half and ET from our boys... Harry has played his last for us sadly, direct quote when i asked him after the game was "Ive already played longer than I was supposed too" he wont be playing us in the CUP even if MacArthur make it thankfully (cup tied) that would break my heart.

Jakey is in Europe and wont be back (maybe for final if we make it) and Esteban stilla round tipp cup run ends .... and maybe longer judging by the annoyed look I got when I asked about it... hahahahah

Andy is on one leg but is up for the fight... whatever happens happy with the run, 4th semi final, gotta win one of these things. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Im really conflicted about the hume fans, on one hand its really good seeing active support from a rival team, creates a better atmosphere... But its worrying seeing these new fans (they weren't around last few seasons) openly display the wolf salute (look it up). Drumming...cool, türkiye...cool but the wolf stuff just doesn't fly (especially when posted by Australia cup lol). Did anyone notice the 3-4 melbourne victory chants during the cup game...odd, but not the first time far right melbourne victory fans have done this bullshit, if people remember the south preston game from this year a section of the 'fans' in the south area were apparently golden dawn horda members (apparently they threw the flair onto the pitch), haven't seen them since ... good, we all hate them. I want to see more people at npl games but srs, melbourne victory fans stay at home. However they are just teenagers (funny because they probably weren't alive for any of the nsl), I'm going off who was trying to start something during the south hume dockerty cup game and that was both teams, the hume 'fans' and the south 'fans', I think its all just for social media. Hopefully they age out of it. I'm all for the palestinian flag but its just ironic that erdoğan has done nothing for them ... anyways thoughts?

Welcome to the forum......

Apart from the grey wolves bullshit, some chant about Constantinople in  some foreign language (Arabic?), the "Admiral Akhbar": and "something, something baklava" the rest of it just sound like Eintracht Frankfurt songs :)  No trouble (that I witnessed) and in fact in the car park after the game I had a chat to a carload of the Turkish boys. All pretty young, packing their flags and drums into the car, I congratulated them on the noise they made and the passion and they all were really nice, humble kids. They said thanks, apologised for some of the "effnik" stuff but I told them not to worry its just words, as long as there is no aggro its all good and to make sure they stick around next year... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 12 Sep 2024 1:42 AM

And the few long, diagonal balls where hit well from Jordi and Marco straight to the wing and timed to catch the defence with back to goal.... lovely to watch.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 11 Sep 2024 9:32 PM
grazorblade - 11 Sep 2024 7:47 PM

And the Victorians laugh at Western United’s crowds. 500-600 max.

Are there any Sydney clubs left in the Australia cup so we can compare? hahahahahahahaha 

Mate, Ill play along just for shits and giggles,
it hailed 3 hours before kickoff in Melbourne,
rained steadily (and at times heavily) from 1 hour before KO to the start of second half of ET
two clubs that have played each other 4 times this season already
It was a Wednesday for some bizarre reason (I thought quarters, semis and finals where "promised" to be weekend games)

1,700 was a half decent crowd, could have been 4k in better circumstances... 
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Sep 2024 10:46 AM

Apart from the grey wolves bullshit, some chant about Constantinople in  some foreign language (Arabic?), the "Admiral Akhbar": and "something, something baklava" the rest of it just sound like Eintracht Frankfurt songs :)  No trouble (that I witnessed) and in fact in the car park after the game I had a chat to a carload of the Turkish boys. All pretty young, packing their flags and drums into the car, I congratulated them on the noise they made and the passion and they all were really nice, humble kids. They said thanks, apologised for some of the "effnik" stuff but I told them not to worry its just words, as long as there is no aggro its all good and to make sure they stick around next year... 

Good to hear
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

ah good sounds like nothing in that case good to read.
From the couch I thought it was good hearing chanting mind you, thats what lack in the other aussie codes to me compared to our game.

Yer welcome southoftheyarra handfull to type out haha

good ol sutho haha but you couldn't help yourself to respond :)

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

LFC. - 12 Sep 2024 11:34 AM

From the couch I thought it was good hearing chanting mind you, thats what lack in the other aussie codes to me compared to our game.

hahaha yeah mate, you know me..... I bite every time :P    To be honest crowd was surprisingly good for such a small ground and horrible weather.... Thats why I would prefer an Aleague opponent in the Semi. Lakeside will be pumping.... If its Oaks at Bundoora, I reckon 2 thousand max which is shite for semi final. 
Totti10
Totti10
Super Fan
Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)Super Fan (109 reputation)

Congratulations south on making an Australia cup semi. Hope you go all the way.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Totti10 - 12 Sep 2024 4:04 PM
Congratulations south on making an Australia cup semi. Hope you go all the way.

Thanks brother.... 
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Sep 2024 11:54 AM
LFC. - 12 Sep 2024 11:34 AM

hahaha yeah mate, you know me..... I bite every time :P    To be honest crowd was surprisingly good for such a small ground and horrible weather.... Thats why I would prefer an Aleague opponent in the Semi. Lakeside will be pumping.... If its Oaks at Bundoora, I reckon 2 thousand max which is shite for semi final. 

I think the Cup attracts a lot more interest than the domestic comp. A semi against Oakleigh would get double the crowd of the grand final, problem is the venue doesnt have the infrastracture to accomodate such an attendance and it would be a terrible fan experience.

Thats why a semi at lakeside with both stands open where everyone can get a seat and the facilities can accomodate the attendance is the ideal outcome. Plus Oakleigh will prob charge $50 for one of those granstand seats in Bundoora.

Dont like our semi prospects though, Sawyer is gone and Marshall has gone on a holiday to Europe.
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

southmelb - 12 Sep 2024 4:39 PM

I think the Cup attracts a lot more interest than the domestic comp. A semi against Oakleigh would get double the crowd of the grand final, problem is the venue doesnt have the infrastracture to accomodate such an attendance and it would be a terrible fan experience.

Thats why a semi at lakeside with both stands open where everyone can get a seat and the facilities can accomodate the attendance is the ideal outcome. Plus Oakleigh will prob charge $50 for one of those granstand seats in Bundoora.

Dont like our semi prospects though, Sawyer is gone and Marshall has gone on a holiday to Europe.

There's nothing wrong with seeking a different venue for a one-off game. O'Connor did it in Canberra when Macarthur came to town (although that was more based out of necessity than demand...)

Edited
2 Weeks Ago by NicCarBel
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

$10 says he plays Lucas Inglese up top.... hahahahahahahahah
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

NicCarBel - 12 Sep 2024 4:44 PM

There's nothing wrong with seeking a different venue for a one-off game. O'Connor did it in Canberra when Macarthur came to town (although that was more based out of necessity than demand...)

3 x finals there in the space of 4 weeks is bullshit thought mate..... 
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Sep 2024 10:56 AM
SUTHERLANDBEAR - 11 Sep 2024 9:32 PM

Are there any Sydney clubs left in the Australia cup so we can compare? hahahahahahahaha 

Mate, Ill play along just for shits and giggles,
it hailed 3 hours before kickoff in Melbourne,
rained steadily (and at times heavily) from 1 hour before KO to the start of second half of ET
two clubs that have played each other 4 times this season already
It was a Wednesday for some bizarre reason (I thought quarters, semis and finals where "promised" to be weekend games)

1,700 was a half decent crowd, could have been 4k in better circumstances... 

Think small and that is what you will end up as. No wonder the NST is a dead duck.

All the crowds in the cup are quite poor, in ALL states.

Just a question for you. What kind of crowds would SMH attract if they were in the top division.
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 12 Sep 2024 5:23 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Sep 2024 10:56 AM

Think small and that is what you will end up as. No wonder the NST is a dead duck.

All the crowds in the cup are quite poor, in ALL states.

Just a question for you. What kind of crowds would SMH attract if they were in the top division.

Honestly I think we'd get a really good crowd for the first year IF we played well and we weren't playing in the dregs of winter, I don't think we have any trouble attracting casuals and or nostalgia merchants but its getting people to stick around during winter witch is incredibly hard.
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

U've got to be joking, on Holiday ... FUCK! Home of the Matilda's is poison if ur not watching from home, it looks great on the computer but not so flash irl. It's purpose is a training ground and its abundantly clear when trying to keep track of the game.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

southoftheyarra - 12 Sep 2024 5:55 PM

U've got to be joking, on Holiday ... FUCK! Home of the Matilda's is poison if ur not watching from home, it looks great on the computer but not so flash irl. It's purpose is a training ground and its abundantly clear when trying to keep track of the game.

For a crowd of 1500-1500 its fine. Anything beyond that becomes a real issue. The toilets dont even have urinals which is why the lines are ridiculous.
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)Amateur (705 reputation)

southmelb - 12 Sep 2024 6:10 PM
southoftheyarra - 12 Sep 2024 5:55 PM

For a crowd of 1500-1500 its fine. Anything beyond that becomes a real issue. The toilets dont even have urinals which is why the lines are ridiculous.

Agreed, no urinals was a ridiculous call. But yeah, great venue for less then 1500.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 12 Sep 2024 5:44 PM

Honestly I think we'd get a really good crowd for the first year IF we played well and we weren't playing in the dregs of winter, I don't think we have any trouble attracting casuals and or nostalgia merchants but its getting people to stick around during winter witch is incredibly hard.

Fair enough, but the top division is played mainly in summer.

Going by what Mono says, I think anything short of 10,000 would be really disappointing, considering games against the three other Melbourne teams would boost it.
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 12 Sep 2024 10:21 PM

Going by what Mono says, I think anything short of 10,000 would be really disappointing, considering games against the three other Melbourne teams would boost it.

10,000 maybe a bit generous after a hypothetical first season, but a victory and city home game would be electric!
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Turn it up you old shitstirrer you....  ahahahah it will take at LEAST 2 seasons to get up to the 10k mark. lol

But back in the real world, if your question is sincere, I agree with Sth of the Yarra, first season would have see some decent crowds (who know numbers but considering NPL finals at Lakeside used to draw 4-6 thousand a few years ago I would think this would be the "pass mark"?) Sure some of the lesser matches would be pretty small crowds but I would bet that both us and Preston will draw good crowds against each other, both home and away, against the old NSL rivals like Marconi, Syd Olympic and Syd United, possibly even Wolves and APIA... Dont underestimate the power of nostalgia... 

Its the second and third season that is the worry at this stage... if the match day experience isnt improved, if access to the league isnt easy on TV/Streaming, if the actual football is lacklustre... if, if, if... then perhaps the crowds wont come back a second or third season.... 

All this is moot anyway Sutho, your franchises have won the war mate, its not happening... The big bad scary "effniks" will never get the access they deserve to better themselves... its dead before it even started. 

The "concept" will get brought up again in a about a decade by which stage there wont be anyone around that even cares anymore.... 

SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 13 Sep 2024 9:47 AM
Turn it up you old shitstirrer you....  ahahahah it will take at LEAST 2 seasons to get up to the 10k mark. lol

But back in the real world, if your question is sincere, I agree with Sth of the Yarra, first season would have see some decent crowds (who know numbers but considering NPL finals at Lakeside used to draw 4-6 thousand a few years ago I would think this would be the "pass mark"?) Sure some of the lesser matches would be pretty small crowds but I would bet that both us and Preston will draw good crowds against each other, both home and away, against the old NSL rivals like Marconi, Syd Olympic and Syd United, possibly even Wolves and APIA... Dont underestimate the power of nostalgia... 

Its the second and third season that is the worry at this stage... if the match day experience isnt improved, if access to the league isnt easy on TV/Streaming, if the actual football is lacklustre... if, if, if... then perhaps the crowds wont come back a second or third season.... 

All this is moot anyway Sutho, your franchises have won the war mate, its not happening... The big bad scary "effniks" will never get the access they deserve to better themselves... its dead before it even started. 

The "concept" will get brought up again in a about a decade by which stage there wont be anyone around that even cares anymore.... 

You really don't do irony, do you ?

BTW, they are, Australia's franchises, not mine .
Edited
3 Weeks Ago by SUTHERLANDBEAR
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 13 Sep 2024 1:16 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 13 Sep 2024 9:47 AM

You really don't do irony, do you ?

BTW, they are, Australia's franchises, not mine .

Ive told you before I let the wife do the irony (I wonder if NINJA has an iron so I can support Australian football, anniversary is coming up and Im stumped for a gift.)

Dont you support one of the franchises?  One of the effnik ones too from memory? Jewish or something arent they? Like Spurs... do they chant "Yid Army" like their cousins overseas perhaps?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search