2024 Australia Cup

2024 Australia Cup

Author
robbos
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Midfielder - 26 Sep 2024 1:18 PM
robbos - 26 Sep 2024 1:12 PM

Disagree, IMO Mono wants SM to play in a FIFA based model.... that they can't move by P & R to a Div 1 and play is his issue.... moreover any team could over time move to a Div 1..

My issue, while I support the concept, I don't believe professional football in Australia has the support needed to operate a full FIFA model today, that support needs to be developed

I don't think there are too many football fans in Australia that does not want this Mid, the fact that we don't have it, is that we don't have the support, money or whatever it is to have P&R. One only must look at all the problems (money I presume) that is stopping the NSD (not that I'm following it too closely, but I'm sure Mono will enlighten me).

I'm all for bagging out the administration, Soccer Australia, FFA, FA, APL for the running of football in this country.
The running joke that Poppa's kids will now be Socceroos, running in Social media, would be funny if it's not so true, with nepotism, agendas, influences (friends, money) running football (instead of the good of the game) for the 50 years or so I have been following this game in this country. 
Edited
2 days ago @ 1:47 PM by robbos
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

robbos - 26 Sep 2024 1:46 PM

I don't think there are too many football fans in Australia that does not want this Mid, the fact that we don't have it, is that we don't have the support, money or whatever it is to have P&R. One only must look at all the problems (money I presume) that is stopping the NSD (not that I'm following it too closely, but I'm sure Mono will enlighten me).

I'm all for bagging out the administration, Soccer Australia, FFA, FA, APL for the running of football in this country.
The running joke that Poppa's kids will now be Socceroos, running in Social media, would be funny if it's not so true, with nepotism, agendas, influences (friends, money) running football (instead of the good of the game) for the 50 years or so I have been following this game in this country. 

Well said robbos.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Now that we cleared all that..

So am I allowed to enjoy the Australia cup?? 
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)Fan (62 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:28 PM
Now that we cleared all that..

So am I allowed to enjoy the Australia cup?? 

Someone has to! 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 1:51 PM

Well said robbos.

Yep robbos gets it and for MCG’s mention yes it’s the suits no matter who when where and that this causes the divide angst banter from supporters in the mean time to this day.
Sorry Mid I disagree - it’s not about having the top functioning viable - no business or model works from top down it works by good guidance and structure bottom UP.
Thats how you gain growth, support by a system that is feeding the roots to grow.
Australia has always lacked this in our game and the reluctance and excuses sticks from wet to dry mud.
I have said this here many times and long before.
A game or product cannot have 2 separate entities.
All it does is cause the bitterness and divide big dick situations Middy loaths and so do I.
So you can’t have one and the rest fight amongst themselves for that’s what our game has.
Here’s a weird analogy off the top of my head - Lexus AMG MSeries etc would not be successful without their core base product doing well to the mass’s talking mass merchant type approach.
You can only add a top end division when you have a good core business underneath working sufficiently get it Middy.
Suits are to blame first and foremost - money comes when your model has vision and links to add layer upon layer.

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 2:30 PM
Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:28 PM

Someone has to! 

Someone bring them ruler we're at it again 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 11:49 AM
But it's the suits who are stuffing up the admin it's not your average bloke on a internet forum. We agree with you so I don't know why we have hostility 

What hostility???? We are all just "blokes/gals on the internet" offering opinions. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

robbos - 26 Sep 2024 1:07 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 9:35 AM

Just stirring mate lighten up.

Hahahaha I know mate, all good... I like to serve it back sometimes too eh :)
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

Score prediction for the final? 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:45 PM
Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 11:49 AM

What hostility???? We are all just "blokes/gals on the internet" offering opinions. 

There are girls on here?? That's the really twist 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 2:50 PM
Score prediction for the final? 

Victory will smash them that's the real story. Them and Sydney will be to good this season 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Disagree, IMO Mono wants SM to play in a FIFA based model.... that they can't move by P & R to a Div 1 and play is his issue.... moreover any team could over time move to a Div 1..

My issue, while I support the concept, I don't believe professional football in Australia has the support needed to operate a full FIFA model today, that support needs to be developed

Midd, this is were you and I part ways on our agreement... I believe support will come BECAUSE of ambition and opportunity not as an extension of it. Like South of the Yarra states above 20+ years of "waiting for the Aleague to be self sustaining" isnt getting us anywhere......  Making a franchise system closed off from the rewards (and risks) of competitive football hasnt awakened the "sleeping giant" I want TRUE equality for every single football club in this country (mine included)
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:51 PM
southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 2:50 PM

Victory will smash them that's the real story. Them and Sydney will be to good this season 

And thats something you are wanting to "enjoy"??? hahahahaha
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:52 PM
Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:51 PM

And thats something you are wanting to "enjoy"??? hahahahaha

No mono enjoy that at all just giving my unbiased views. 

They have been the best team in the cup and MacArthur don't offer much in attack. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 26 Sep 2024 12:32 PM

Mid, I think Mono does not want this, he has clearly stated here many times, he only cares for Sth Melb, which is fine.
I have many mates, who I class as Liverpool fans not football fans, they only care about Liverpool, they say clubs like Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Real Madrid as buying trophies & they see clubs like Southampton, Brighton, Porto as feeder clubs to them.
I go uhhhh. 

Of course I only care about South Melbourne.... but without other clubs to compete against then existence is pointless... I appreciate the existence of 99% of the football clubs in this country and all I wish for is for every single one of them to have the ability to fight for promotion on the pitch... Even the clubs I see as rivals or hate for whatever reason,. their fans. volunteers, members and players deserve this......  Without it we will NEVER be united.... 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:53 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:52 PM

No mono enjoy that at all just giving my unbiased views. 

They have been the best team in the cup and MacArthur don't offer much in attack. 

But dude you said you wanna enjoy the Australia Cup now.... how your club got kicked out ages ago? :P
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:56 PM
Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 2:53 PM

But dude you said you wanna enjoy the Australia Cup now.... how your club got kicked out ages ago? :P

Yeah I watch as many games as I can it's better then Netflix 👍
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

The Aleague also doesn't have the support, money or whatever yet it is still in existence???? NO, the ONLY reason we dont have P and R is because the APL doesn't want to lose money for its foreign investors... pure and simple corporate greed....  Why the so called FA allows this to continue is the major question... but then again we all know who is running football in Australia... and its not Australians. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Melbcityguy - 26 Sep 2024 3:00 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:56 PM

Yeah I watch as many games as I can it's better then Netflix 👍

Fair enough, plenty of racy stuff on Netflix, I watched Babylon last night :) hahahahaahah
Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 1:42 PM
Midfielder - 26 Sep 2024 12:32 PM

The A-League has had 20 years do create a 'respectable' league and it shoots itself in the foot every 5 years or so. The fans are there, the interest is there I think you would be surprised how many people of a certain generation follow (in the loosest terms) soccer than dare I say it ... AFL..., Members of the Australian public who are probably willing to go to a first division Australian soccer game (who don't already go) don't respect the A-League because theres no pro/rel and they don't care for expansion teams.

I hear you, and yep the A_l has had 20 years... but we also had 70 + years before the A-L.... 

Without writing a book on the why's and where's... Australian professional Football has never had the respect it needs to create a fan base that would support a proper first division and divisions below at a high level of quality .... 

Until we learn to respect the quality of our players and coaches, respect the game as a whole we will struggle....

Your point on how poor our management has been is very true.... its hurt a lot... 
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

Midfielder - 27 Sep 2024 2:29 PM
southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 1:42 PM

I hear you, and yep the A_l has had 20 years... but we also had 70 + years before the A-L.... 

Without writing a book on the why's and where's... Australian professional Football has never had the respect it needs to create a fan base that would support a proper first division and divisions below at a high level of quality .... 

Until we learn to respect the quality of our players and coaches, respect the game as a whole we will struggle....

Your point on how poor our management has been is very true.... its hurt a lot... 

Thats the question atm ... How do we get people to 'respect' Australian Football? Do we get respect and then change the system or change the system and then gain respect.

Edited
Yesterday @ 3:11 PM by southoftheyarra
Mr Cleansheets
Mr Cleansheets
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 27 Sep 2024 3:10 PM

Thats the question atm ... How do we get people to 'respect' Australian Football? Do we get respect and then change the system or change the system and then gain respect.

Interesting question.

We are so pluralistic as Oz football fans. But I do believe that no matter where you stand on the A League / PR spectrum you probably want the best for Australian football and all but despair of the major stakeholders eventually getting it right.

Personally, I want a genuine unified pyramid - it's the only way to unleash the sleeping giant.

But how the fuck do we get there?

Midfielder
Midfielder
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Yep

IMO you need strong financial systems in place to ensure you can get a higher quality of players.... and in the eyes of the broader mainstream its a solid and reliable competition... 

Changing the system, sounds the right way to go...my personal thoughts are Football would struggle to gain respect of the broader public and the Euro snobs would feel its befilth them to even talk about....

I often refer to the MLS and look at what and how they have achieved what they have from a starting point well well well behind where the A-L started and the NSL for that matter... they believe they need to build a fan base and so far they have and they receive less than 10% of their revenue from broadcast mostly from crowds, sponsors and merchandise sales. 

The A_l needs to build its crowds IMO to an average of 15K, with say Div 2 teams an average of around 5K.... then we have a foundation to build P & R... put in a plan to get there with measurable KPI's.... 

I believe if you told the good folk of SM, and similar clubs, you guys average 5 to 6K per game over a season with you guys helping the A-L get to 15K per season and we have the base to move to P & R... those Div 2 clubs would help build the A-L as it would be in their interest... 

IMO the secret is putting in place a model where its in everybody's interest for everyone to grow and get better..

Butler99
Butler99
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Midfielder - 26 Sep 2024 10:05 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 25 Sep 2024 4:18 PM

The theme of all boats rise on an incoming tide seems lost on many as you say tribal folk.

I wonder what the VFA, SANFL and WAFL clubs say to this, when the VFL turned into the all encompassing AFL?
southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan

Midfielder - 27 Sep 2024 7:19 PM

Yep

IMO you need strong financial systems in place to ensure you can get a higher quality of players.... and in the eyes of the broader mainstream its a solid and reliable competition... 

Changing the system, sounds the right way to go...my personal thoughts are Football would struggle to gain respect of the broader public and the Euro snobs would feel its befilth them to even talk about....

I often refer to the MLS and look at what and how they have achieved what they have from a starting point well well well behind where the A-L started and the NSL for that matter... they believe they need to build a fan base and so far they have and they receive less than 10% of their revenue from broadcast mostly from crowds, sponsors and merchandise sales. 

The A_l needs to build its crowds IMO to an average of 15K, with say Div 2 teams an average of around 5K.... then we have a foundation to build P & R... put in a plan to get there with measurable KPI's.... 

I believe if you told the good folk of SM, and similar clubs, you guys average 5 to 6K per game over a season with you guys helping the A-L get to 15K per season and we have the base to move to P & R... those Div 2 clubs would help build the A-L as it would be in their interest... 

IMO the secret is putting in place a model where its in everybody's interest for everyone to grow and get better..

The NPL is getting stale and unfortunately become more of a 'development' league so I don't see crowds averaging 5k (playing in winter = hell), yes Preston is one of the few bright spots but if they become npl stalwarts and encounter any period of mediocrity or massive slump (e.g. Late 10's South) unfortunately I don't think B.T. Connor Reserve will be as pumping as it is now (Same thing happened with South). NPL fans who don't go to / follow A League games are not going to start going any time soon, you wouldn't ask a Plymouth Argyle fan to start going to City games so save their crowds for the good of the league. Eurosnobs are not interested in going to A-League games because the quality is not good (e.g. MacArthur. respect to the 6 people who watch that team week in and out) / entertaining, they don't see it as a proper league anyway (No pro rel). They also sometimes have a far better connection to 'euro' teams as there grandparents form wherever in Europe (not just wogs) follow(ed) a team. 

P.S. Calling ANY MacArthur fans to write ANYTHING regarding the cup.
Edited
Yesterday @ 10:21 PM by southoftheyarra
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search