marconi's Games Thread

marconi's Games Thread

Author
Funky Munky
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The multiplayer teaser for Black Ops looks cool. The RC shouldn't be a 3-kill streak though, 3-kill streaks should be non lethal. Deffinitely looking forward to replaying and saving awesome kills though.
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

If the PC version has dedicates back I might actually buy it.
anth
anth
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

When is Black Ops due out?
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Every time I hear of Black Ops I want it more and more
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

9th November Anth.
tiny455
tiny455
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Not really keen for Black Ops. Not a big fan of Treyarch.

Can't wait until the new Medal Of Honour is released.
anth
anth
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

9th Nov. Awesome... just after I get back from Europe :cool:
Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Fuck Black Ops.

Mafia II comes out next week! :cool:
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

leftrightout wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
leftrightout wrote:
Been a addicted to StarCraft 2 of recent (release 14/8 in Australia) especially the online 1v1 and 2v2 games. Just wondering if anyone else here is playing it?

FYI The name of this thread makes it hard to find.

Edited by leftrightout: 16/8/2010 01:12:47 PM

Is it only online play? Also have they nerfed it compared to the original?

No you can complete the campaign offline but it's better to be connected to battlenet.com for all the updates.

nah much the same as the original, terran actually seem stronger actually IMO - as I prefer to play with terran.

Hmm, have been offered a guest pass for it from a mate to try it out - was totally in love with SC and used to have an awesome partnership playing Protoss/Terran for team multiplayer. Favorite memory was having our entire deployment taken up by Protoss & Terran combat units and having 3/4 of the map under our stolen Zerg minions control as far as resource gathering was concerned. We got banned from playing together by our mates as they hated losing to us all the time.

Wish I still had the video from another of my mates taking on 4 AIs at once, that man was the shortcut king, brilliant solo but couldn't work in a team.

My main fear with getting it is that as I am on 3G at home game play will be too laggy to enjoy properly...

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
leftrightout wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
leftrightout wrote:
Been a addicted to StarCraft 2 of recent (release 14/8 in Australia) especially the online 1v1 and 2v2 games. Just wondering if anyone else here is playing it?

FYI The name of this thread makes it hard to find.

Edited by leftrightout: 16/8/2010 01:12:47 PM

Is it only online play? Also have they nerfed it compared to the original?

No you can complete the campaign offline but it's better to be connected to battlenet.com for all the updates.

nah much the same as the original, terran actually seem stronger actually IMO - as I prefer to play with terran.

Hmm, have been offered a guest pass for it from a mate to try it out - was totally in love with SC and used to have an awesome partnership playing Protoss/Terran for team multiplayer. Favorite memory was having our entire deployment taken up by Protoss & Terran combat units and having 3/4 of the map under our stolen Zerg minions control as far as resource gathering was concerned. We got banned from playing together by our mates as they hated losing to us all the time.

Wish I still had the video from another of my mates taking on 4 AIs at once, that man was the shortcut king, brilliant solo but couldn't work in a team.

My main fear with getting it is that as I am on 3G at home game play will be too laggy to enjoy properly...

I actually never really played the first StarCraft online - although I did play both StarCraft & Brood Wars campaign back then (12 years ago :shock:) My parents had dial up and it used to lag all the time so I never bothered with it. I did play a few games against my mate but I remember him slaughtering me with Zerg. Now I have adls2+ from tpg & 39.99pm it works perfectly. I had 3G before and it's a complete rip IMO. For what u pay and the service you get is shocking.

One disappointment with the new one is they should have introduced a new alien race. But I've always been Terran all the way!
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

I couldn't get ADSL2+ thanks to there being no points available on our nearest exchange (of course if I wanted to pay through the nose with Telstra I am sure one would magically appear) and the 3G plan I am on suits our budget and usage to a tee.

I as to go to lots of LANs rather than play online, one household of friends had a 30 player capacity and I went to regular organised LANs as well (like Valhalla and there are lots of smaller ones which are much better value). Star Craft, Team Fortress, Alien vs Predator 2, Serious Sam and Counter Strike were the staple games we played.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

leftrightout
leftrightout
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

General Ashnak wrote:
I couldn't get ADSL2+ thanks to there being no points available on our nearest exchange (of course if I wanted to pay through the nose with Telstra I am sure one would magically appear) and the 3G plan I am on suits our budget and usage to a tee.

I as to go to lots of LANs rather than play online, one household of friends had a 30 player capacity and I went to regular organised LANs as well (like Valhalla and there are lots of smaller ones which are much better value). Star Craft, Team Fortress, Alien vs Predator 2, Serious Sam and Counter Strike were the staple games we played.

I live in Richmond and they told me the same thing that I couldn't get ADSL2+, so I went for the regular ADSL and then 2 weeks later they told me I can upgrade to 2+ at no extra charge. So I did :d But it shits me that this day in age that in the capital of SA we have 2+ blackspots.

Yeah as I used to play the LAN games with my friends but never battlenet cos it lagged too much. Now it's great. My record on 1v1 is pretty shocking 37 games and only 8 wins :lol: But you can save all your games and re watch what you did wrong and try to improve. I should have stayed in the practice league longer. Sill learning though, there are heaps of little tricks that for some ppl must be second nature, like all your keyboard shortcuts.

macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Ordered a bunch of stuff for my computer tonight.

I've been stuck on "GPU, Case, PSU" for a while now. My old system, the PSU failed, so I replaced the PSU and case at the same time, and then the GPU failed so I replaced that.

I've been saving to get all the rest of the stuff to completely build the new system.

Today, I bought, on something of a whim, since I couldn't really find anything left to do with my money, and my g15 kb and g5 mouse are getting old and starting to fail. Plus they don't match my case because they are both orange led, and my case is blue led.

Very happy as I've saved about $125 on buying what I've bought today from the shop I was going to get everything at, macotechnology. They are still a great shop, they have a good range of parts and nice service, but some of their prices aren't as competitive as they could be, so I checked my usual cheap site (itestate) and found a few parts cheaper there.

Ordered tonight:
Logitech G110 and G9x - $179.90. Compared to the maco, it was like $47 cheaper. This might take weeks (according to the site), but I've got a g15 and g5 atm anyway so I'm okay with waiting. Free shipping.

Itestate: 2x 1.5tb Seagate HDDS, $91 each ($37 cheaper than maco). I've already got 1 of those 1.5 drives, so with these other 2, I'll not need more storage for about a billion years. I also ordered the the i7-930 CPU, which was $20 cheaper than Maco. $11 shipping, but that's still a saving of over $100.

The entire system as a whole I worked out tonight

CPU: i7-950
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Ram: 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600MHz CL8-8-8-24
GPU: Gigabyte 5870 1GB GV-R587UD-1GD
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
PSU: Antec CP-850 850 Watt PSU
SSD: 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro
HDD1/2: Two x 300gb Seagate ST3320620AS 7200 in Raid 0
HDD3: 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS 7200
HDD4: 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS 7200
HDD5: 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS 7200
Mouse: Logitech G9x
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Monitor: 24" BenQ G2420HD 2ms
DVD: Samsung 22X SATA Black DVD-RW

I tallied up all the costs, it'll be $2899. But basically everything except my headphones will be brand spanking new.

I've done well compared to the type of system I'd get if I was spending that all at once.

I'd probably drop some hard drives, not bother with the new kb/mouse, and get a 5970, but since I only play on 1 monitor, it'll still kill pretty much anything, and if I need to, a 2nd 5870 is a nice and reasonably cheap upgrade path (or wait long enough for the next gen of cards to drop in price).

Edited by macktheknife: 28/8/2010 04:20:34 AM

Edited by macktheknife: 28/8/2010 01:38:48 PM
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

How much did you pay for your monitor? I got the E2420 for $220 in February.
scouse_roar
scouse_roar
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

On a retro kick - playing through Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, Final Fantasy VII on the PS1 and snapped up Puzzle Quest II for the DS for a bit of "new" gaming action. :)
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend

martyB wrote:
How much did you pay for your monitor? I got the E2420 for $220 in February.

$225. Probably $11 shipping as well. Was the best price + shipping around at the time.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

[youtube]7JxbKKvA1Tc[/youtube]

Number 1 is just fucking tops :lol: :lol:

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Erebus
Erebus
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

:shock: 6GB of DDR3 RAM! FMD dude what are you doing, making Avatar 2 on your PC or something? :lol:
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend

Erebus wrote:
:shock: 6GB of DDR3 RAM! FMD dude what are you doing, making Avatar 2 on your PC or something? :lol:

That's pretty standard for i7/LGA1366 socket motherboards now, as it's a triple-channel RAM setup, you put in 3 sticks.

The next gen LGA2011/SandyBridge socket will be Quad Channel apparently.

I'm also thinking of getting a sound card too, so that'll be another $230 lol.

Edited by macktheknife: 29/8/2010 09:34:09 PM
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Anyone interested in doing a fifa league on xbox?

Nico
Nico
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Get a PS3 and I'll play you.
notorganic
notorganic
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

I really need to upgrade my PC, it's been about 6 years since I built a completely new system and I can't even play football manager on it anymore.

It's been a long time since I've been around the hardware scene and I cbf doing my research.

I need a new CPU/Mobo/Graphics and RAM for under or very near $1000. Suggestions?
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend

notorganic wrote:
I really need to upgrade my PC, it's been about 6 years since I built a completely new system and I can't even play football manager on it anymore.

It's been a long time since I've been around the hardware scene and I cbf doing my research.

I need a new CPU/Mobo/Graphics and RAM for under or very near $1000. Suggestions?

Prices are approximate.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz ~185
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3Motherboard ~$109
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 Direct CU 1GB ~$275
RAM: Mushkin Silverline PC3-10666 (2x2GB) DDR3 ~$99
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB HD502HJ ~$59
DVD: Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVDRW Drive ~$29
Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Tower Gaming Case ~79
PSU: 550W Antec TruePower TP-550 ~109

Total: Approx. $1060.

Last question, would you build it yourself?

--

In my own news, I just transferred the money for the rest of my equipment. I got 2 hard drives and the i7 950 CPU this week, and hopefully will have the rest by tuesday next week. I did end up getting the sound card. Now I'm looking at getting a new set of headphones in a couple weeks too lol.

\:d/

Edited by macktheknife: 3/9/2010 02:44:10 AM
Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer

TIER 1 PERKS - Your Tier 1 perks affect your soldier's appearance. THESE ARE :Lightweight. Scavenger. Ghost. Flak Jacket. Hardline.
TIER 2 PERKS - Hardened. Scout. Steady Aim. Sleight of Hand. Warlord.
TIER 3 PERKS - Marathon. Ninja. Second Chance. Hacker. Tactical Mask

Pro perks are returning

SCRAMBLER is NOT a perk, but an attachment for your gun.

EQUIPMENT - Camera Spike, C4, Tactical Insertion, Motion Sensor, Claymore

KILLSTREAKS - Dogs, Napalm Strike, Gunship, Mortar Team, the Radio Controlled Car, SAM Turret (it takes down a chopper), Archangel Missile, Care Package and a few other unconfirmed streaks. KS's won't count towards each other like they did in MW2. Top killstreak is 11, and you can select 3 like in MW2.

Miniguns, grenade launchers, M202 launchers, and anti air SAM can be found inside care packages now also.

Your soldier appears in the main menu.

YOU NOW EARN MONEY FROM MATCHES, AKA CP. YOU CAN SPEND THESE ON UNIFORMS, EMBLEMS, WEAPONS AND OTHER CUSTOMISATION. YOU CAN USE YOUR MONEY IN WAGER MATCHES AGAINST OTHER PLAYERS.

Contracts replace MW2 challenges, and are time limited challenges that you purchase with COD Points (CP). There are three categories -- Mercenaries, Operations, Specialist.

There are now BOTS.

NEW GAME MODES - Four brand new game modes -- separate from your standard rank progression in multiplayer competitive modes.
Wager Matches - Players bet their CP in an attempt to increase their earnings. The top 3 players in this mode will receive CP from the pot.
These wager modes include:

Gun Game - A series of progressive weapons, from pistol to shotgun to sniper rifle, granted to the player after kills.
Sticks and Stones - you're equipped with a Crossbow and Throwing knife.
Sharp Shooter - all players start with the same randomly selected weapon, which cycles. So everyone has the same weapon at the same time.
One in the Chamber - All players start with only a pistol and one bullet. If the player misses with the bullet they are left only with their knife. If the player lands the bullet they get another bullet.

Combat Training - This is separate to multiplayer mode where you can play against bots by yourself or with friends to practice for multiplayer. Not a Wager match.

CUSTOMISATION:
Differently painted guns with custom targeting reticules and decals on everything.
Flamethrowers, sniper rifles, shotguns... everything can be customized with stuff you've earned and unlocked.
There's also an emblem editor. There are decals that you can rotate, scale, layer and be placed upon a background (just like backgrounds of titles from MW2. There are no more titles in BO.)

Theater Mode - switch the player between any players perspective -- first or third person -- or free cam to move within a 3D space. (For recording gameplay presumably)
In the Theater, videos can be tagged, edited, searched...

Other confirmed weapons:
M1 Garand
M202 Grim Reaper Rocket Launcher
China Lake pump action grenade launcher
MP40.

Crossbow and Ballistic knife are special secondaries.

Other weapons can be found on the game's wiki and w/e
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

So stoked that Commando isn't in the game. Hopefully the mighty boomstick Spas-12 will return even better than before

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

marconi101 wrote:
So stoked that Commando isn't in the game. Hopefully the mighty boomstick Spas-12 will return even better than before

Pfft fuck that. Shotguns are so retardedly overpowered in MW2.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

Playing predominantly with a shotty is so much more of a challenge, but the relentless hitmarkers don't make sense to me. It's completely unrealistic that a knife can kill someone instantly yet a shotgun shell may take 3 or 4 rounds to bring someone down.

If you wanna talk about overpowered, mention the Ump45 or PP2000

Edited by marconi101: 3/9/2010 08:41:50 PM

Funky Munky
Funky Munky
Legend

It's also completely unrealistic that somone can get a one shot kill from across the room with a shotgun, But I've seen it happen.
macktheknife
macktheknife
Legend

Yeah. Shotguns are shit close range.
tiny455
tiny455
Pro
Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)Pro (3.5K reputation)

Tactical Insertions = Boosters.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search