The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
agga78
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I can't believe we have so many people wanting to start clubs all over the country, you couldn't find anyone for 5 years & the people who have bought A league clubs,  have all been foreigners, it is a fantastic sign for the league and hopefully they get it right. 
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

sokorny - 23 Nov 2016 5:43 PM
Crusader - 23 Nov 2016 5:36 PM

I suppose that isn't really the FFA's role though. Surely it is cheaper for the FFA to simply invite formal applications, and therefore let others do all the grunt work (and then they can cast an eye over it at the end to see if it meets their criteria). Similar is done with numerous government agencies (that is private stakeholders have to "prove" up proposals according to government guidelines). On occasions government will do the work, but the vast majority of the time it is left up to private investors. (Better for them to take the risks than the FFA??)

The FFA would be better putting out a "blueprint" for what they did at WSW and encouraging others to follow suit (or at least use it as a base). I am sure any potential bidders would be provided with a brief by FFA about how they created WSW, if they asked.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

agga78 - 23 Nov 2016 5:48 PM
I can't believe we have so many people wanting to start clubs all over the country, you couldn't find anyone for 5 years & the people who have bought A league clubs,  have all been foreigners, it is a fantastic sign for the league and hopefully they get it right. 

You'd think with all this interest and capital that they (the clubs/investors) could surely create a second tier? Let's face it the FFA won't do this for years ... but if someone else came up with the capital, concept etc. etc. I am sure the FFA wouldn't say no. All the FFA would have to do is sanction the competition (don't even have to allow promotion / relegation) ... could even make money by charging the new competition administration / registration fees.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

agga78 - 23 Nov 2016 5:48 PM

I can't believe it either

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

A lot of these bids will be on the basis of playing top flight football, these backers will not invest in a 2nd tier.

You would imagine only the likes of strikers, SM, Adelaide city etc would put their hand up for such a thing if they don't get the nod for A league.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

southmelb - 23 Nov 2016 6:01 PM
A lot of these bids will be on the basis of playing top flight football, these backers will not invest in a 2nd tier.You would imagine only the likes of strikers, SM, Adelaide city etc would put their hand up for such a thing if they don't get the nod for A league.

True, but less investment would be needed for a second tier club / competition ... and especially if it gives them preference for promotion for any further expansion. Tassie and Auckland wouldn't invest in a second tier team I would imagine (although given the lack of representation of Tassie teams in sport they might still get dollars for a team in a second tier ... maybe just less).
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

yoshi2284 - 23 Nov 2016 11:16 AM
A third team in South sydney will end up moving to South West sydney when a new stadium is built. Wollongong deserves it own team in the future to service the South coast. 

I think people in the shire already identify with the Syd fc. The South West corridor from hurstville to Campbelltown and beyond would have massive support.

Sydney Athletic. 

south sydney now could be an instant success. As it stands, a team out in campbelltown would average 5k, theres no south-west sydney identity. people in liverpool associate with parramatta more than campbelltown. at the very minimum, the housing developments in badgerys needs to be populated before there is enough ppl to support a club.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

williamn - 23 Nov 2016 7:11 PM
yoshi2284 - 23 Nov 2016 11:16 AM

south sydney now could be an instant success. As it stands, a team out in campbelltown would average 5k, theres no south-west sydney identity. people in liverpool associate with parramatta more than campbelltown. at the very minimum, the housing developments in badgerys needs to be populated before there is enough ppl to support a club.

I think a team out of Campbelltown would average more than 5k, though agree the Badgery's/Oran Park area once built would make it ripe for a team
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

southmelb - 23 Nov 2016 6:01 PM
A lot of these bids will be on the basis of playing top flight football, these backers will not invest in a 2nd tier.You would imagine only the likes of strikers, SM, Adelaide city etc would put their hand up for such a thing if they don't get the nod for A league.

Really hope that is the case, would get everyone a lot more excited. 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Does southern sydney have its own idenity? Do people say theyre from southern sydney?
Edited
8 Years Ago by Iridium1010
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Iridium1010 - 24 Nov 2016 2:45 PM
Does southern sydney have its own idenity? Do people say theyre from southern sydney?

Only if someone else has embarrassed themselves by saying they're from western Sydney first.

In all seriousness though, no, not that I have ever heard. Campbelltown/Macarthur is how I've heard people identify themselves and I guess that's what you might be getting at, but it's not something I've heard commonly.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
RedshirtWilly - 24 Nov 2016 9:04 AM
williamn - 23 Nov 2016 7:11 PM

I think a team out of Campbelltown would average more than 5k, though agree the Badgery's/Oran Park area once built would make it ripe for a team

Aren't they building an airport at Badgery's Creek?
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

So looks like South Sydney will be admitted in the medium term.
What's our thoughts of them for example, in the current case of 13 home games, having 10 games at shark park and 3 at kogarah?

I think it allows them to also tap into and build support from anywhere south of the airport and include the LGA's of;

Sutherland Shire 210,863
Georges River Council 146,916 (The Council was formed on 12 May 2016 from the merger of the Kogarah City Council and Hurstville City Council)
City of Rockdale LGA 97,340 (since merged  with botany bay and formed bayside council)
Total: 455,119
These figures 2011 Census so I'd assume it would be closer to 500,000 now.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

MCMH - 25 Nov 2016 3:44 PM
So looks like South Sydney will be admitted in the medium term.
What's our thoughts of them for example, in the current case of 13 home games, having 10 games at shark park and 3 at kogarah?

I think it allows them to also tap into and build support from anywhere south of the airport and include the LGA's of;

Sutherland Shire 210,863
Georges River Council 146,916 (The Council was formed on 12 May 2016 from the merger of the Kogarah City Council and Hurstville City Council)
City of Rockdale LGA 97,340 (since merged  with botany bay and formed bayside council)
Total: 455,119
These figures 2011 Census so I'd assume it would be closer to 500,000 now.

The South District of Sydney has had its borders redefined with the Greater Sydney Commission including Sutherland, Georges River and Canterbury-Bankstown as part of the planning district.  The current population is 741,250 and is projected to rise to 945,350 by 2036 according to the document linked below which was published this month.  If this area is accepted as the catchment for the possible South Sydney franchise then Kogarah Jubilee might be a more central venue for the majority of games.

http://gsc-public.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/south_overview.pdf?b8XoXwKATNSPZHp.l1GXs18JvWM4Vf4_

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

kogarah has better location and transport but shark park is better facilities
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

bigpoppa - 25 Nov 2016 5:17 PM
kogarah has better location and transport but shark park is better facilities

Kogarah is much more expensive to hire also.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aussie pride - 25 Nov 2016 5:24 PM
bigpoppa - 25 Nov 2016 5:17 PM

Kogarah is much more expensive to hire also.

There was some talk of the FFA becoming the principal tenant of Kogarah Jubilee and using it as the base of the various national teams.  If this was the case then hire costs would diminish and be shared making it cheaper for the new team (?).
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Gyfox - 25 Nov 2016 5:36 PM
aussie pride - 25 Nov 2016 5:24 PM

There was some talk of the FFA becoming the principal tenant of Kogarah Jubilee and using it as the base of the various national teams.  If this was the case then hire costs would diminish and be shared making it cheaper for the new team (?).

It was Barton Park - St George Stadium - seems to be something that Les Murray and Mike Cockerill keeps pushing.  

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Soccer/Should-St-George-Stadium-be-the-home-of-Sydney-FC/2005/01/14/1105582720132.html

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=103

chatty_chancellor
chatty_chancellor
Fan
Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)Fan (80 reputation)

I think a south-Sydney super club encompassing Sutherland & St George, but NOT Wollongong, is a good idea. 10 games Shark Park, 3 games Kogarah. The divide is only an NRL thing.
A Wollongong team that encompasses the rest of Illawarra and represents the entire South coast will create an excellent rivalry with South Sydney.

Ultimately, however, I believe Tasmania, Wollongong or second Brisbane should be the first ones considered. We shouldn't dilute the derbies - our showpiece matches - just yet.
Geelong don't have a rectangular stadium, which is a big negative for me.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

pippinu - 24 Nov 2016 7:50 PM
RedshirtWilly - 24 Nov 2016 9:04 AM

Aren't they building an airport at Badgery's Creek?

Yep.  That whole area west of Liverpool, south of Penrith and north of Campbelltown is about to get a makeover
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

patjennings - 25 Nov 2016 7:27 PM
Gyfox - 25 Nov 2016 5:36 PM

It was Barton Park - St George Stadium - seems to be something that Les Murray and Mike Cockerill keeps pushing.  

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Soccer/Should-St-George-Stadium-be-the-home-of-Sydney-FC/2005/01/14/1105582720132.html

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=103

Gallop held taks with Doust and Council about Kororah Jubilee.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/st-george-illawarra-dragons/football-federation-australia-boss-david-gallop-considering-dragons-kogarah-oval-as-new-home-base-20150322-1m4wpk.html

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

So I got some new templates for kit making the other day and decided to redo some of the previous ones I have done. Ive only made the 3 "ready to go" bids so far in South Melbourne, Tasmania and Sutherland* and I thought I would share them with you lot.
*Yes I know there is still no "confirmed'' bid for Sutherland/South Sydney yet but it will pretty much be a guarantee in my opinion. My Sutherland kit/crest is based off a 100% Cronulla Sharks owned bid.

free image uploading
photo sharing
screen shot on windows
imag
image upload
free screenshot software

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend

nice nice, any particular reason for the black and white ?

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Iridium1010 - 25 Nov 2016 11:42 PM
nice nice, any particular reason for the black and white ?

Just trying to steer away from another sky blue kit to be honest. Cronulla are sky blue, black and white so just reversed the majority colours.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Bigpoppa never mind the V. I'd go the white strip with the blue stripe down the side and white socks as the home kit. Then they can go for the high vis forklift driver away top.

Your Tas and Sutherland kits are top shelf. I'd go gay for Jack Clisby if he were wearing them
Edited
8 Years Ago by bohemia
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 26 Nov 2016 1:30 AM
Bigpoppa never mind the V. I'd go the white strip with the blue stripe down the side and white socks as the home kit. Then they can go for the high vis forklift driver away top.

Your Tas and Sutherland kits are top shelf. I'd go gay for Jack Clisby if he were wearing them

Thanks
Here you go

image hosting over 5mb

Edited
8 Years Ago by bigpoppa
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

all 3 kits the colour ways are spot on. also love the south sydney logo. that white/sky blue/black colourways has huge potential.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

williamn - 26 Nov 2016 11:39 PM
all 3 kits the colour ways are spot on. also love the south sydney logo. that white/sky blue/black colourways has huge potential.

cheers mate.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I like them. You can't have the same socks though. For the Sharks away kit, it would perhaps need to change to all black or all white with blue/white or blue/black hoops?

NG21
NG21
Under 7s
Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)

@bigpoppa

Those kits look great!

Would love to see your take on a new Southern Sydney or St George team seeing as you have already made a Sutherland Shire one. Would you follow a red,white and black scheme with the logo and kits?

I can definitely envision an Athletic Bilbao or Sevilla style kit.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search