The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
southoftheyarra - 25 Sep 2024 11:30 PM
grazorblade - 25 Sep 2024 10:55 PM

Ah more pathways didn't think of that, makes sense tbh. Am I dense or would playing another team 3-4 times in a season work (Hint MLB)? Is there something logistical I'm over seeing?  

Mate, playing the same teams 3 or 4 times doesn't create more playing spots for footballers..... Perhaps it increases actual playing time, which is a good thing for developing players, but still keeps hundreds of talented players outside the tent.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

southoftheyarra - 25 Sep 2024 10:52 PM
Can I ask the question, why does the A-League need to expand? Personally I think 10 teams is fine, anything over 12 is pushing it. I'm for pro / rel (even though I think it will never happen) and I think creating franchises year after year is unsustainable. I understand having a NZ team but I'm not particularly for it, why does Canberra need a team? I know they have a women's team in the A-League W but I am completely unaware of them and npl capital football.

Becuase investors that have paid for a license expect to get a return on their initial investment. Distribution from broadcasting is almost non-existent now and is only going to get less ... only way they can inject some much needed funds into their coffers is selling more licenses at ever increasing rates.... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

southoftheyarra
southoftheyarra
Fan
Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)Fan (60 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 9:28 AM
southoftheyarra - 25 Sep 2024 11:30 PM

Mate, playing the same teams 3 or 4 times doesn't create more playing spots for footballers..... Perhaps it increases actual playing time, which is a good thing for developing players, but still keeps hundreds of talented players outside the tent.

Yeah an oversight on my part. What do we think the limit on teams is realistically?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southoftheyarra - 26 Sep 2024 9:34 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 9:28 AM

Yeah an oversight on my part. What do we think the limit on teams is realistically?

For the Aleague? No idea... Only limitation is the greed of the APL. I can foresee an attempt at "expansion" into neighbouring countries within the next 5-10 years and there are at least another 5-10 "markets" in Australia/NZ they will try and sell to someone.  
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Can I ask the question, why does the A-League need to expand? 

25 million reasons

plus the discussion also provides a smokescreen for gullible idiots as to why it's so shit

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Need at least 30 rounds so, 16 teams would be best 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

soccerfoo - 26 Sep 2024 11:11 AM
Need at least 30 rounds so, 16 teams would be best 

Should they start naming the "derbies" first and see where it goes?
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 11:19 AM
soccerfoo - 26 Sep 2024 11:11 AM

Should they start naming the "derbies" first and see where it goes?

Yes, I'll start with South Melbourne vs Sydney Olympic the Yeeros & tzatziki derby..Rockdale Illinden vs Preston Mac the Chuvapi derby.
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 9:54 AM

For the Aleague? No idea... Only limitation is the greed of the APL. I can foresee an attempt at "expansion" into neighbouring countries within the next 5-10 years and there are at least another 5-10 "markets" in Australia/NZ they will try and sell to someone.  

That is a gross oversimplification, and you know it. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

charlied - 26 Sep 2024 12:54 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 9:54 AM

That is a gross oversimplification, and you know it. 

Absolutely it is, but not incorrect. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

soccerfoo - 26 Sep 2024 12:03 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 11:19 AM

Yes, I'll start with South Melbourne vs Sydney Olympic the Yeeros & tzatziki derby..Rockdale Illinden vs Preston Mac the Chuvapi derby.

WTF is "yeeros"???  Going with your food theme are most plastic derbies the "sausage roll and soggy chips derby"? 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:40 PM

WTF is "yeeros"???  Going with your food theme are most plastic derbies the "sausage roll and soggy chips derby"? 

What's a yeeros? Prefer Giros? Are you a real Greek re?
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:38 PM

An oversimplification can only ever be partly correct. 
For example, APL, I would argue are motivated by survival. Greed, by any measure, is an inappropriate descriptor in the financial morass of the A League. 
charlied
charlied
Pro

Which I suppose, semantically speaking, is your point. 
HappyGuus
HappyGuus
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)

I see expansion to 18 to 20 APL clubs, and they'll be split over two 16 team divisions with the best of the future NST clubs. The third tier would then be 2 or 4 conferences because 8 or 9 feds going into a second tier would do a bit of damage to clubs. The conferences would be 12 teams in each to reduce travel costs. I really should get around to posting my pyramid on here haha.

The seasons don't need to align, the A-League and NPL/conferences stay about where they are, and the NST season between the two. Transfer windows would adjust to suit all tiers. One point to note is that without season alignment we can't have relegation playoffs.

I'm all for expansion if it brings pathways, facilities, finance, growth etc. to large enough areas. And the total travel costs of an NST and conferences are about the same. With conferences there are more clubs so the cost per club and per match is much lower and affordable.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

soccerfoo - 26 Sep 2024 3:09 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 2:40 PM

What's a yeeros? Prefer Giros? Are you a real Greek re?

Try Gyros.... its much tastier re lol
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

charlied - 26 Sep 2024 3:50 PM

An oversimplification can only ever be partly correct. 
For example, APL, I would argue are motivated by survival. Greed, by any measure, is an inappropriate descriptor in the financial morass of the A League. 

Indeed, however survival requires a degree of greed Its what the system is "propped up" by. OK perhaps "greed" is an oversimplification, would "uber-capitalism" suffice? hahahahahaaha
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

HappyGuus - 26 Sep 2024 4:00 PM
I see expansion to 18 to 20 APL clubs, and they'll be split over two 16 team divisions with the best of the future NST clubs. The third tier would then be 2 or 4 conferences because 8 or 9 feds going into a second tier would do a bit of damage to clubs. The conferences would be 12 teams in each to reduce travel costs. I really should get around to posting my pyramid on here haha.

The seasons don't need to align, the A-League and NPL/conferences stay about where they are, and the NST season between the two. Transfer windows would adjust to suit all tiers. One point to note is that without season alignment we can't have relegation playoffs.

I'm all for expansion if it brings pathways, facilities, finance, growth etc. to large enough areas. And the total travel costs of an NST and conferences are about the same. With conferences there are more clubs so the cost per club and per match is much lower and affordable.

Existing NST/NPL clubs will not be joining the Aleague in the near future... at least NOT in their current forms mate... Some may try a hybrid model like APIA has being trying to push since day dot, but their constitutions are as non for profit sports clubs...
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 26 Sep 2024 10:20 AM

25 million reasons

plus the discussion also provides a smokescreen for gullible idiots as to why it's so shit

The prosecutions case rests m'lud
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 4:12 PM
soccerfoo - 26 Sep 2024 3:09 PM

Try Gyros.... its much tastier re lol

Haha..
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 4:17 PM

Existing NST/NPL clubs will not be joining the Aleague in the near future... at least NOT in their current forms mate... Some may try a hybrid model like APIA has being trying to push since day dot, but their constitutions are as non for profit sports clubs...

what is the hybrid model APIA is going for?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

yeah the apl floated something like that. Promotion to the a league for a season is fine. They might struggle to expand much without the nst by the looks of it? They were planning to expand by 2 clubs per season
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 26 Sep 2024 4:47 PM

what is the hybrid model APIA is going for?

Selling 49% stake of the club to investors... trying to emulate the Bundi model.... 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 4:58 PM
grazorblade - 26 Sep 2024 4:47 PM

Selling 49% stake of the club to investors... trying to emulate the Bundi model.... 

sounds a great idea tbh
charlied
charlied
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 26 Sep 2024 4:14 PM
charlied - 26 Sep 2024 3:50 PM

Indeed, however survival requires a degree of greed Its what the system is "propped up" by. OK perhaps "greed" is an oversimplification, would "uber-capitalism" suffice? hahahahahaaha

Well, greed is appropriating more than you need. To be fair, the A League clubs are all running at an loss, with the possible exception of the Adelaide. 
HappyGuus
HappyGuus
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)Hardcore Fan (242 reputation)

Yeah, I'm thinking the APL might want to create a few more clubs at the same time the NST is building, then link them up down the track.
Tier 1 let's say would be 13 + Canberra, Tasmania, Gold Coast... then maybe Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Christchurch for example... and promote the best candidate from the NST for 20. Bottom four get cut to tier 2, and tier 2 drop their bottom four to the conferences. Then we're up and running with full pro/rel.

Basically, we need half a dozen clubs in the 2nd tier every season with the infrastructure/licensing to jump to A-League. Otherwise each season will always be an ad-hoc mess. But all this could be 50 years away haha. I'm just trying to find a way that works, regardless of attitudes and infighting.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search