Season 2016/17: A-League Clubs Membership thread

Season 2016/17: A-League Clubs Membership thread

Author
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
aufc_ole wrote:
Waz wrote:
Atlas wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
MikeDude wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
I'd say flat to down (slightly) unless there's a big improvement in marketing, by club:

Adelaide United: - same
Brisbane Roar: - down, fans are really unhappy at the moment
Central Coast Mariners: -same but only just
Melbourne City: - up, slightly
Melbourne Victory: - same
Newcastle Jets: -same
Perth Glory : up slightly
Sydney FC: down
Wellington Phoenix: same
Western Sydney Wanderers: up slightly

But if Victory and Wanderers knock it out of the park then all bets are off, numbers will rise; same with Roar if they do get new (and better) owners then they should rise to 9-10k but until nearer the season start I'd be very cautious on these numbers, its a tough economy as well

Hard to imagine Brisbane being less than last year. But I'm out of the loop there, so the unrest may just be that bad.

Perhaps the FFA will take them back before the season kicks off.

Not actually that close myself but various forums you read are not good reading, lots of disillusioned fans threatening not to renew in protest, even the new MD is getting flogged on the club web pages. if nothing changes I think membership will halve again, and if the FFA takes over it'll be just as bad - plenty of resentment towards the FFA's handling of a very poor situation for three years.

That's where Aussie Rules fans differ so much from football fans, they stick with their club/game no matter what. Far too much politics in football instead of putting the game first and foremost.

Yeah right, you can see the Brisbane Lions fans sticking by their club every home game lol

Rare exception to the rule. Essendon for example average over 30k despite barely having a team

A "rare exception" is it? It proves the original comment to be flawed though doesn't it! and soccer v AFL is a poor/unfair comparison, both the league and clubs are run on a shoestring marketing and promotion budget and rarely get FTA TV media profile unlike AFL and NRL. There's no doubt AFL is top dog in memberships-attendance but after ten years the FFA have taken average attendances for the national soccer competition from 3k to 13k, we'll take that as a win :) Roars unique ownership struggles don't deserve to be aired on this thread but enough to say after a succession of poor owners and three years of being lied to and misled by the current owners the fans are trying to force change in one of the few ways they can, membership boycots; membership down from 12,500 to 5,000 was designed to send a message last year (but no one listened, not the owners, not the FFA, and the BS started again 3 months ago) but average crowds went up to nearly 14k. What happens next is dependent on the ownership situation, few clubs in any vide would survive unscathed with owners treating fans do disrespectfully over such a sustained period.
FullBack4
FullBack4
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Waz wrote:
Atlas wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
MikeDude wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
I'd say flat to down (slightly) unless there's a big improvement in marketing, by club:

But if Victory and Wanderers knock it out of the park then all bets are off, numbers will rise; same with Roar if they do get new (and better) owners then they should rise to 9-10k but until nearer the season start I'd be very cautious on these numbers, its a tough economy as well

Hard to imagine Brisbane being less than last year. But I'm out of the loop there, so the unrest may just be that bad.

Not actually that close myself but various forums you read are not good reading, lots of disillusioned fans threatening not to renew in protest, even the new MD is getting flogged on the club web pages. if nothing changes I think membership will halve again, and if the FFA takes over it'll be just as bad - plenty of resentment towards the FFA's handling of a very poor situation for three years.

That's where Aussie Rules fans differ so much from football fans, they stick with their club/game no matter what. Far too much politics in football instead of putting the game first and foremost.

Yeah right, you can see the Brisbane Lions fans sticking by their club every home game lol

pretty much THIS LoL - by all accounts "away" supporters outnumber home supporters by 2 to 1 at Lions games, which in a 15k crowd shows where they're at. Lions have also been run poorly so again its not a surprise, but all 4 footballing codes have had good crowd averages when they've been well run and (in the case of NRL, Union, AFL) excellent crowd averages over 30k with success, even Roars best average of 19k is not too shabby. Sports fans aren't necessarily fickle but keep them in the dark and feed them sh!t and they will stay away, and in all codes - as the Reds and Lions and proving in this current season. Maybe its just a Brisbane thing?
perthjay85
perthjay85
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

End of June last year glory announced 1500 members.

So far we are at 2040 members.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

perthjay85 wrote:

Perth have undergone something of a transformation on and off the pitch - do you recon they can crack 10k members this year?
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Atlas wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
MikeDude wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:

No loyalty from football fans, eh? You should read the history of AFC Wimbledon.
perthjay85
perthjay85
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Waz wrote:
perthjay85 wrote:

Perth have undergone something of a transformation on and off the pitch - do you recon they can crack 10k members this year?

I doubt 10k members. Glory are aiming for 8.5k. With a good start to the season i can see realistically 9k members max.

But I'm hoping crowds to start at close to 10k and hopefully increase.
perthjay85
perthjay85
Pro

Atlas wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:
MikeDude wrote:
FullBack4 wrote:

Collingwood fans might disagree.
Lowest crowd since the 2nd world war.
Tambo
Tambo
Hacker
Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)Hacker (400 reputation)

Adelaide - 10k (up)
Brisbane - 6k (up) 8k if ownership sorted
CCM - 5k (down) why would any new members sign up? Plenty of reasons to not renew.
City - 11k (up) 13k with Cahill only, 14k with a lampard / pirlo type marquee only, 16k with both
Victory - 26k (down) 28k with decent named marquee
Jets - 10k (up) new owners, optimism, if people renewed last year then no reason why not this year + new members on optimism
Perth - 10k (up) needless to speak about their fast growing optimism and favoritism. The squad strength, home grown players, Castro resigned, fillipolous doing all the right things, stability with sage and Lowe. If they sign another marquee / Cahill 12k
Sydney 11k (down) 15k with a big name marquee
Phoneux 6k (up) stronger squad + you'd expect a bigger marketing budget in light of their situation and KPI's
WSW 20k (up) natural increase due to stadium increase. Waiting list becomes members plus extra 1k or so.

Total 115k.

With a room to grow of up to a further 15k based on future marquee announcements / sale of Brisbane roar.

So quite a positive outlook for mine!
soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Tambo wrote:
Adelaide - 10k (up)
Brisbane - 6k (up) 8k if ownership sorted
CCM - 5k (down) why would any new members sign up? Plenty of reasons to not renew.
City - 11k (up) 13k with Cahill only, 14k with a lampard / pirlo type marquee only, 16k with both
Victory - 26k (down) 28k with decent named marquee
Jets - 10k (up) new owners, optimism, if people renewed last year then no reason why not this year + new members on optimism
Perth - 10k (up) needless to speak about their fast growing optimism and favoritism. The squad strength, home grown players, Castro resigned, fillipolous doing all the right things, stability with sage and Lowe. If they sign another marquee / Cahill 12k
Sydney 11k (down) 15k with a big name marquee
Phoneux 6k (up) stronger squad + you'd expect a bigger marketing budget in light of their situation and KPI's
WSW 20k (up) natural increase due to stadium increase. Waiting list becomes members plus extra 1k or so.

Total 115k.

With a room to grow of up to a further 15k based on future marquee announcements / sale of Brisbane roar.

So quite a positive outlook for mine!

I'd be thrilled with 10 k. Think we might just hit the club's target of 8500 or maybe be just shy of it, depending on how we do early in the season . Would be stoked with 10k+ though.

Would like the A-League website/FFA to do another membership drive like last year. Liked seeing a target goal with an updated membership count for all clubs together in one list.
Waz
Waz
Legend

AU just tweeted they've passed 5,000 members - good start
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Waz wrote:
AU just tweeted they've passed 5,000 members - good start

Almost matched their levels from 2013/14. That's a definite sign of growth.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Positive news from most clubs. Downers are (my) Roar, CCM and Sydney. Should see overall an increase on 2015/16.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Edited
8 Years Ago by paladisious
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

great start from victory, Memberships start for the Wanderers on the 14th i think

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
8 Years Ago by View from the fence
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Won't be renewing mine. :)
Edited
8 Years Ago by Roar_Brisbane
Swarth
Swarth
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Swarth wrote:
great start from victory, Memberships start for the Wanderers on the 14th i think

my mistake the 19th

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:

What would change your mind? You have been very positive in years gone by.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Footballking55
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:

Your club may not be renewing theirs either. :)

Edited
8 Years Ago by TheSelectFew
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Edited
8 Years Ago by paladisious
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Adelaide's will probably look favourable if compared against previous seasons at the same time coz they really hit re-signing members hard and early this year. I could be wrong but the cut-off to get my same seat back this year felt insanely early. Trying to capitalise on the GF win I guess.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Davide82
The Dudist
The Dudist
Semi-Pro

Good on the Vuck. Keep it up! (Says that guy who doesn't have a membership).

I'm going OS for most of this summer, but I'm keen to get my first membership next season ;)
Edited
8 Years Ago by MikeDude
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Wanderers 12004

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Multibet
Multibet
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Swarth wrote:

Wanderers over 4k in front of same time last year. Auto renewals would be a big reason but still impressive.
Edited
8 Years Ago by Multibet
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Multibet wrote:
Swarth wrote:

Wanderers over 4k in front of same time last year. Auto renewals would be a big reason but still impressive.

huge improvement i know a lot of them are auto renewals but i know a lot of those didnt go through considering we got over 12k in one day even with auto renewals its still impressive

i think we are lucky because we have more of a membership culture than most other clubs even when we get our big stadium because we were forced to have memberships i think people will more likely to stay members than if we had a big stadium to start with

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
Swarth
Swarth
Pro

Edited
8 Years Ago by Swarth
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search