BDP

Author
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Any team news?
Is TBaz backing Flano or has he dropped him?
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Fvck the touch footy style. If I wanted to watch touch football I'd specifically look for touch football. Some teams will be expansive some will relish an arm wrestle. V'landys needs to let the teams sort it out and the fans enjoy it, not dictate what he thinks we want to see.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Marki - 13 Apr 2021 5:47 PM
Any team news?
Is TBaz backing Flano or has he dropped him?

Jacko out injured, replaced by Chris Smith.
Lewis still out.
No other changes to the side that I can see.

The Hammer out for the Cows, big JT might be back.
We will need a good performance and maybe a miracle....

It will help if you tip the Cows by plenty.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Marki - 13 Apr 2021 5:35 PM
hounddog - 13 Apr 2021 12:44 PM

I think you guys are nostalgic for a game of yesteryear where scores of 10-8 were not uncommon.

I dont mind the odd grind of a game here and there, but the reality is, the game sells better when theres at least 5 or 6 tries scored.

Theres nothing wrong with a 32-28 scoreline, although with the rules nowdays geared towards achieving momentum, there are too many games decided by the 60th minute which I dont think the NRL wants.

IMO decoy plays just add another element of strategy in the attack and create more doubt in the defence. I reckon gaining a penalty for obstruction and marching 30m downfield with a kick to touch is sufficient risk-penalty for it. 

I don't mind high scoring games as long as it is a quality contest.

I didn't like the flop, the wrestle, block plays or slow ball movement.
Coaches were trying to turn the game into NFL and steer the ship from the coaches box, players were being deskilled with low risk percentage football. Crowds were getting bored as every set of six looked the same.

Speed the game up, decision msking, skill technique and footy smarts come into it. Players start playing what they see, not playing like robots.

They need to dial it down a bit, but the changes this season are mostly successful.

I agreed with Zef because low effort decoys are deskilling players and getting them to play like robots while the coach works out the play on the whiteboard and pushes the limits of the obstruction rule.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

I’m still trying to work out when and how they came into the game. Pretty sure late 90’ early 00’, they just sort of snuck into the game and before we knew it they were f***in’ everywhere.

Newcastle ‘97 played a lot of the 2nd man out the back we see everywhere now, I think someone morphed that to on the line....

.... probably f***in’ Ando with Melb again.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 13 Apr 2021 8:12 PM
I’m still trying to work out when and how they came into the game. Pretty sure late 90’ early 00’, they just sort of snuck into the game and before we knew it they were f***in’ everywhere.

Newcastle ‘97 played a lot of the 2nd man out the back we see everywhere now, I think someone morphed that to on the line....

.... probably f***in’ Ando with Melb again.

If Des isn't to blame it has to be Ando.

Covid-19 - Blame Des.

The plague -  Blame Ando.

The Roosters- so bad we need to blame Des and Ando.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

hounddog - 13 Apr 2021 8:26 PM
Zef - 13 Apr 2021 8:12 PM

If Des isn't to blame it has to be Ando.

Covid-19 - Blame Des.

The plague -  Blame Ando.

The Roosters- so bad we need to blame Des and Ando.

We can't we just blame Des for everything?

Stop bringing Ando into it. You're confusing the situation. Keep it simple. Blame only Des.

Villi and I do it to great effect. 
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Very disappointed to see Napa named to start.... he shouldn’t be anywhere near 1st grade!

Lets see if he has a blinder, the cowboys are on the look out for props, if he had any brain, Napa would want to pull his finger out & show potential suitors that he’s still got plenty to offer
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Villi - 14 Apr 2021 7:35 AM
Very disappointed to see Napa named to start.... he shouldn’t be anywhere near 1st grade!

Lets see if he has a blinder, the cowboys are on the look out for props, if he had any brain, Napa would want to pull his finger out & show potential suitors that he’s still got plenty to offer

Yeah because he's shown us fvckall since he arrived here.
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Marki - 13 Apr 2021 11:10 PM
hounddog - 13 Apr 2021 8:26 PM

We can't we just blame Des for everything?

Stop bringing Ando into it. You're confusing the situation. Keep it simple. Blame only Des.

Villi and I do it to great effect. 

No doubt the only thing you and Villi do to great effect... ;)
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

The ‘any brain’ being bit the main issue...
ODF
ODF
Pro

As a long time supporter of this great club, over the years I have witnessed many unusual signings with the club, some successful and others...... well let's say they are less than memorable. Over the last 10 years though there have been some signings that have instantly brought a sense of uncertainty. The signings I had a bad feeling about and was not happy from the outset were:-
Hasler
Castle
Woods
Foran
Napa 
On the flip side the amount of good and promising talent we have let go borders on criminal. Sometimes I wonder whether the factions that run this club are for the greater  good of the Bulldogs or are they in it for themselves.
Marki
Marki
World Class

ODF - 14 Apr 2021 8:21 AM
As a long time supporter of this great club, over the years I have witnessed many unusual signings with the club, some successful and others...... well let's say they are less than memorable. Over the last 10 years though there have been some signings that have instantly brought a sense of uncertainty. The signings I had a bad feeling about and was not happy from the outset were:-
Hasler
Castle
Woods
Foran
Napa 
On the flip side the amount of good and promising talent we have let go borders on criminal. Sometimes I wonder whether the factions that run this club are for the greater  good of the Bulldogs or are they in it for themselves.

You have to acknowledge that some signings are not so much for the definite improvement of the club on the field, but rather to alleviate the wrath of fans.

Napa is perfect example. We had just lost Klemmer (the last of our rep level players) after losing JR, Mbye, Woods, Morris twins. The club was in damage control and fans were furious and media was all over us. 

The club sings Napa to dampen that fury and with hope that he can bring some stability and status to the forward line. 

It's obvious he hasn't justified the on-field reason we signed him for. But it kinda worked to relieve the heat off field.

The problem we have is that all names you listed (except Des) seem to have been signed for the same reasons. Castle was signed coz shes female, Foran signed to take heat off Des, and Woods was signed... probably coz he was mates with Klem and we didnt want to lose Klem

I think it's about time we recruited players for their ON-FIELD ability and leave the off field benefits or problems aside.
Marki
Marki
World Class

And this is the reason for my optimism for next year.....

The acquisitions of JAC and Burton are for the improvement of the team. JAC has pace, can score from anywhere and has football nous. Burton also has football nous but can also play the calm steady game manager role too. 

They arent recruited for off field reasons.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Napa is the one time I am disappointed to be proven right, he has even offered significantly less than my low expectations.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 14 Apr 2021 9:29 AM
And this is the reason for my optimism for next year.....

The acquisitions of JAC and Burton are for the improvement of the team. JAC has pace, can score from anywhere and has football nous. Burton also has football nous but can also play the calm steady game manager role too. 

They arent recruited for off field reasons.

We have to be optimistic as fans, I'm never supporting another club and I'm tired of whinging.

The same players are letting the team down each week, other players are young and lacking experience, but some players are busting a gut,  really trying hard, and not doing a lot wrong.

Get rid of the duds, recruit a few more quality and experienced players, all of a sudden fewer silly errors, dumb options, bad reads or poor missed tackles are happening. The young players get a bit more experience and confidence and the hard workers get some reward for their efforts.

That is enough to turn it around, and we have some good young players coming through the grades.

As for this season, I still think we can win a few games, the first win will be the hardest. Everyone has to stay in the fight and not give up.

It is interesting Baz isn't dropping players, we have a thin squad with few options. But he is giving players every chance to come good and making others earn their spot. I expect that his patience with some players will eventually run out, when they are dropped they will be dropped for a long time. I can see some getting dropped and never playing NRL again. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

The issue I have right now is that some of our contracted players for 2022 are playing reggies, whilst the likes of Napa, Floppa, Katoa etc won’t be around next year continue to get selected. 

Doorey, Wakeham, Schouup... give them a go now!

Move/change around the top 30 and make it happen T Baz

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 14 Apr 2021 10:31 AM
The issue I have right now is that some of our contracted players for 2022 are playing reggies, whilst the likes of Napa, Floppa, Katoa etc won’t be around next year continue to get selected. 

Doorey, Wakeham, Schouup... give them a go now!

Move/change around the top 30 and make it happen T Baz

Doorey and Schooup might be development players.

I would have 9. Topine, 14. Wakeham - I am puzzled my Katoa keeps getting picked.

The only time Katoa looked good was playing in the halves when Lewis got injured. Play Katoa in the halves in reserve grade and see if that is his best position.
Villi
Villi
Pro

hounddog - 14 Apr 2021 10:36 AM
Villi - 14 Apr 2021 10:31 AM

Doorey and Schooup might be development players.

I would have 9. Topine, 14. Wakeham - I am puzzled my Katoa keeps getting picked.

The only time Katoa looked good was playing in the halves when Lewis got injured. Play Katoa in the halves in reserve grade and see if that is his best position.

Doorey is in the Top 30

surely with injuries to JO and Crichton, we could get a dispensation to play Schoupp, like we’ve done with DeItz
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 14 Apr 2021 10:40 AM

Doorey is in the Top 30

surely with injuries to JO and Crichton, we could get a dispensation to play Schoupp, like we’ve done with DeItz

I am not sure how dispensation  works.

I don't understand why the NRL has rules which prevent teams fielding stronger sides.

Say 15 players outside the top 30 could be on a maximum wage, any player over 18 in the 45 is eligible to play NRL
Injuries and dispensations are less of an issue.

Hopefully they sort this out.

If Doorey and in particular Schoupp are available for selection, I don't know why they are not being picked.
BloodyNora
BloodyNora
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Doorey is in the Top 30

If it's a situation where it isn't possible to select him, still restricted in development squad or whatever, there'd have to be a clear shortage of top 30 players that play in the same position before they could apply to the NRL for permission to select him. At centre, there's already Hoppa, DWZ, Cotric & Averillo, possibly more (I haven't seen the squad list recently). So it just wont be happening. It was different for hooker at the start of the season, they only have 2 & 1 or both were injured at the time.
Edited
3 Years Ago by BloodyNora
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Christine Holgate certainly has her two feet in the trough with both hands out. What most of us would have seen as appallingly bad judgment for gifting Cartier watches (for whatever reason) has been turned into an attack on "women everywhere"....and why is she dressed like she is working at White Lady Funerals.
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Doorey is in the Top 30

Barrett's dilemma. NSW Cup last week. Schoupp: 8 tackles made, 5 missed tackles, 2 ineffective tackles. Deitz: 4 runs 22 metres, dummy half runs 1 for 2 metres. Hardly knocking the door down for selection.
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 14 Apr 2021 12:34 PM
Christine Holgate certainly has her two feet in the trough with both hands out. What most of us would have seen as appallingly bad judgment for gifting Cartier watches (for whatever reason) has been turned into an attack on "women everywhere"....and why is she dressed like she is working at White Lady Funerals.

I think the problem is differential treatment. In 2020, during the pandemic, NBN paid executives 4.3million in bonuses without the same outcry. Both are government owned
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 14 Apr 2021 12:58 PM
Steveswr33333 - 14 Apr 2021 12:34 PM

I think the problem is differential treatment. In 2020, during the pandemic, NBN paid executives 4.3million in bonuses without the same outcry. Both are government owned

Cash is king....the watches reek of vanity.

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Mooloolabadog - 14 Apr 2021 12:50 PM

Barrett's dilemma. NSW Cup last week. Schoupp: 8 tackles made, 5 missed tackles, 2 ineffective tackles. Deitz: 4 runs 22 metres, dummy half runs 1 for 2 metres. Hardly knocking the door down for selection.

Schoupp generally has good stats for tackle breaks and yards.
His defence may be the problem, I thought it was ok, weeks 1 & 2... but

11 tackles 4 misses - round 1
5 tackles 1 misses 2 inneffective - round 2
6 tackles 2 misses - round 3

Defence is an issue - hopefully he can improve - hard running with the ball.

Hoppa isn't racking up great defensive stats, but granted NRL is a significant step up.

Edit: Stats wise the NRL players are generally doing better than reserve grade. The rebuild might involve more recruitment, if reserve grade are worse than the NRL squad, we need better options.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
intrepidarts
intrepidarts
Super Fan
Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)Super Fan (157 reputation)

From a players perspective what's at Belmore that is so attractive??? The place looks like a hole.. There's distinction's that draw players to certain clubs we need to lift to sustain our position!Time for a refab!!
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 14 Apr 2021 2:53 PM
Mooloolabadog - 14 Apr 2021 12:50 PM

Schoupp generally has good stats for tackle breaks and yards.
His defence may be the problem, I thought it was ok, weeks 1 & 2... but

11 tackles 4 misses - round 1
5 tackles 1 misses 2 inneffective - round 2
6 tackles 2 misses - round 3

Defence is an issue - hopefully he can improve - hard running with the ball.

Hoppa isn't racking up great defensive stats, but granted NRL is a significant step up.

Edit: Stats wise the NRL players are generally doing better than reserve grade. The rebuild might involve more recruitment, if reserve grade are worse than the NRL squad, we need better options.

Without watching a replay of the game you may need to take these stats with a grain of salt.

For example... if in the process of making a group tackle, you slide off before it is completed but its completed by a teammate instead, it may go down as a missed tackle or ineffective tackle in the stats, but means nothing in the context.

If however you miss a one on one tackle that results in a break or a try, then that is highly critical.

Thats what Hoppa is accused of doing. Missing tackles that result in tries or breaks. 
Marki
Marki
World Class

intrepidarts - 14 Apr 2021 3:44 PM
From a players perspective what's at Belmore that is so attractive??? The place looks like a hole.. There's distinction's that draw players to certain clubs we need to lift to sustain our position!Time for a refab!!

I agree. Other than nostalgia, there is nothing that gives me any uplifting feeling around there. And I'm a Bulldog fan through and through. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

intrepidarts - 14 Apr 2021 3:44 PM

The attraction might be the general environment, the people the vibe, the club's history.
The gym is fairly well equipped.
When players walk down the shop for a coffee, shop keepers and people in general are friendly.
The field is adequate for training..

Players coming to the club consider
0. Money.
1. The coach and career opportunity 
2. The other players.
3. The other coaching staff.
4. Medical and rehab staff.
5. Facilities 
6. The vibe.

All reports are that players are happy to come here.

We need to improve everything that needs improving. But get the priorities right.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search