Western United Thread

Western United Thread

Author
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
:Whistling:
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Heart_fan - 9 Sep 2020 11:47 PM
soccerfoo - 9 Sep 2020 5:22 PM

Whitten Oval will be a disaster for any game with inclement weather. There is one stand with seating and the rest is open to the elements. 

As much as I want to see them play at Somers Street as it’s a football specific stadium, it’s less than ideal in terms of access. The showgrounds would also have draw backs overall, so things aren’t exactly looking that promising.

Geelong and Ballarat have to still be in the equation, but I can’t see more than a few games at each next year. The focus will shift more to the western suburbs, but without a venue that is fit for purpose, can’t see it bringing people along to see the games. 

Still waiting until they add Melbourne to their name as soon as they get a chance :)

Maybe they won't add it in ever.

If they didn't, i'd prefer they just dropped the "united" and were just "Western FC".

You know there is a football club in Brazil who are just Oeste. I think that works better. As a side note,  the Brazilian club shares the same colours as our WSW.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators

SEroos
SEroos
Super Fan
Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/western-united-and-wyndham-council-sign-off-on-training-venue-20200918-p55wyb.html

Here we go - news on training facility to be built in Tarneit. 3 pitches - one of which which having 5,000 seats for W-League and academy teams. 
Edited
4 Years Ago by SEroos
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

SEroos - 18 Sep 2020 4:42 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/western-united-and-wyndham-council-sign-off-on-training-venue-20200918-p55wyb.html

Here we go - news on training facility to be built in Tarneit. 3 pitches - one of which which having 5,000 seats for W-League and academy teams. 

Good news but slightly concerning that it will be open for other sports like rugby to use. Just wait until AFL X (If it still exists) get their hands on it too :(

Honestly, it’s still a big step for them that shows progress at least. Getting the stadium started would be a far bigger step, but this is showing some life from them.

df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Heart_fan - 18 Sep 2020 5:13 PM

Good news but slightly concerning that it will be open for other sports like rugby to use. Just wait until AFL X (If it still exists) get their hands on it too :(

Honestly, it’s still a big step for them that shows progress at least. Getting the stadium started would be a far bigger step, but this is showing some life from them.

Why wouldn't they just use the main stadium for W-League and Y-League teams? They are going to own the ground, there won't be any other prospective tenants, and it's going to be a boutique size. Doesn't seem to make much sense to have a 5000-seater venue as well.
df1982
df1982
Rising Star
Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)Rising Star (949 reputation)

Good news but slightly concerning that it will be open for other sports like rugby to use.

Luckily nobody in Victoria plays either rugby code.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

df1982 - 18 Sep 2020 5:58 PM

Luckily nobody in Victoria plays either rugby code.

Hwat?? Lol a lot of people play both rugby codes here. Especially in wyndham .
SEroos
SEroos
Super Fan
Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)Super Fan (123 reputation)

https://www.wufc.com.au/news/western-uniteds-new-elite-training-facility-next-step-stadium-precinct-development

Image of the training precinct in that link. Looks great. It’s a very full on grandstand though, they may as well not bother with that and just focus on the actual stadium but overall it still will be a good thing. 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

SEroos - 18 Sep 2020 9:26 PM
https://www.wufc.com.au/news/western-uniteds-new-elite-training-facility-next-step-stadium-precinct-development

Image of the training precinct in that link. Looks great. It’s a very full on grandstand though, they may as well not bother with that and just focus on the actual stadium but overall it still will be a good thing. 

Just get 7500 seats and 3-5000 grass or terraces and that’s they’re solution for a home.
Doesnt need all the bells and whistles.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

aussie pride - 18 Sep 2020 9:50 PM

Just get 7500 seats and 3-5000 grass or terraces and that’s they’re solution for a home.

Tend to agree.

Have the main stand, a smaller seating area on the other opposite side of the field, with corporate facilities in that multi level building shown. Doesn’t even need seats or a hill behind the goals, as that can be just a wall if it needs to be.

A 10,000 seat stadium would suit them well, and if things really do well look to build the main stadium concept or expand the existing one. 

Overall, love the concept but would be good to know whether it will look anything like that in the end. It certainly looks like far more than a $23 million build even with just the 3 grounds and the Grandstand, let alone the multi level building mentioned earlier in this post. 

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 18 Sep 2020 6:12 PM
df1982 - 18 Sep 2020 5:58 PM

Hwat?? Lol a lot of people play both rugby codes here. Especially in wyndham .

Yeah I've played rugby in Wyndham a lot of times. There and endeavor hills would be the closest area either game has to a heartland in Victoria due to the huge amount of pacific islanders who live in the area. You can bet that Storm or Rebels are going to investigate playing some games at this facility, especially pre season.

Viennese Vuck

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

melbourne_terrace - 18 Sep 2020 10:35 PM

Yeah I've played rugby in Wyndham a lot of times. There and endeavor hills would be the closest area either game has to a heartland in Victoria due to the huge amount of pacific islanders who live in the area. You can bet that Storm or Rebels are going to investigate playing some games at this facility, especially pre season.

Better make sure they have a good ground maintenance team if rugby are going to use it. 

Given the bulk of the money is being invested by the council, will be interesting to see what level of control that WU have over the facility. In other cases though, the AFL for instance have been very good at investing a smaller stake but still gaining revenue and control of some of the facilities they use. 

Let’s hope this is the start of great things for WU and the game as a whole. With this and the home of the matildas, it certainly is starting to bring some benefits. Interesting that rugby and football seem to have benefited from both this and the Bundoora announcement. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

In wyndham vale they have a rugby pitch thats used for both and football.  Also the altona roosters is the draw for league. Iirc gaz widdop played there as a jnr 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

I think the biggest news out of all of this is that planning permission has been applied for in regards to the stadium, after most getting to the point of losing any hope that it was even on the horizon (including myself).

Hopefully more details, in terms of the actual design and project staging of the overall masterplan will be available soon. The more I look at it, the more excited I am about the prospects of the precinct, but knowing that the initial plan is listed to cost $23 million, it doesn’t actually tend to buy as much as many think. 

Given the road and services infrastructure Is also required, that may also be included in this budget which maLes it even more interesting as to what the end design and buildings included in the initial stages will be. 

Better be good funding for earthworks and large trees to act as a windbreak out there too. Gets crazy windy on those plains :)

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 18 Sep 2020 10:45 PM

In wyndham vale they have a rugby pitch thats used for both and football.  Also the altona roosters is the draw for league. Iirc gaz widdop played there as a jnr 

Correct. There has been a few others from that club as well who have gone onto the NRL.

Viennese Vuck

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

Heart_fan - 18 Sep 2020 11:24 PM
I think the biggest news out of all of this is that planning permission has been applied for in regards to the stadium, after most getting to the point of losing any hope that it was even on the horizon (including myself).

Hopefully more details, in terms of the actual design and project staging of the overall masterplan will be available soon. The more I look at it, the more excited I am about the prospects of the precinct, but knowing that the initial plan is listed to cost $23 million, it doesn’t actually tend to buy as much as many think. 

Given the road and services infrastructure Is also required, that may also be included in this budget which maLes it even more interesting as to what the end design and buildings included in the initial stages will be. 

Better be good funding for earthworks and large trees to act as a windbreak out there too. Gets crazy windy on those plains :)

* makes 

Added to that, someone suggested naming it something in this complex Diamanti. With another great season, I think there may be value to that :)

Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Heart_fan - 18 Sep 2020 11:28 PM

* makes 

Added to that, someone suggested naming it something in this complex Diamanti. With another great season, I think there may be value to that :)

WU_fan?
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

Glory Recruit - 18 Sep 2020 11:39 PM
Heart_fan - 18 Sep 2020 11:28 PM

WU_fan?

Nah, still a City fan but given I grew up in the West and lived there until recently, even though I still believe Team 11 was a  stronger bid overall, 

I do have a soft spot for WU though I will admit, as I have a few friends that follow them and the last thing we needed was another failure.

Let’s just hope more investment goes into the game. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 18 Sep 2020 11:24 PM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 18 Sep 2020 10:45 PM

Correct. There has been a few others from that club as well who have gone onto the NRL.

Iirc there was another kid in gaz's year playing who played for the storm . Dunno what happened to the kid he was talented as hell. A kiwi but wanted to play for Australia.  Also went to school with gaz's wife . Man he is one lucky guy 😆😂
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

wyndham council have approved the stadium . They're waiting on wu .  This is a start . But there is already people complaing saying infrastructure is needed before any stadium is built as roads havent been put in place 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 19 Sep 2020 12:08 AM

wyndham council have approved the stadium . They're waiting on wu .  This is a start . But there is already people complaing saying infrastructure is needed before any stadium is built as roads havent been put in place 

Wyndham council aren’t the only ones that have to approve this though, as there are state government approvals required also from what I understand. That process is underway and is awaiting an outcome soon.

There will be many NIMBY types everywhere that will be only too happy to cause a scene about anything, so I’m not surprised. It’s a valid point in many ways though that Transport infrastructure will have to be put in place, but as much of that is required to facilitate existing planned growth in the area, it’s a compelling case to be completed now anyway.

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

Heart_fan - 19 Sep 2020 12:20 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 19 Sep 2020 12:08 AM

Wyndham council aren’t the only ones that have to approve this though, as there are state government approvals required also from what I understand. That process is underway and is awaiting an outcome soon.

There will be many NIMBY types everywhere that will be only too happy to cause a scene about anything, so I’m not surprised. It’s a valid point in many ways though that Transport infrastructure will have to be put in place, but as much of that is required to facilitate existing planned growth in the area, it’s a compelling case to be completed now anyway.

Surely you need backyards in the area before you can even get NIMBYS!

Viennese Vuck

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

melbourne_terrace - 19 Sep 2020 2:05 AM
Heart_fan - 19 Sep 2020 12:20 AM

Surely you need backyards in the area before you can even get NIMBYS!

Thats were you're wrong.  The people complaining do live in tarneit,but in the othe side of tarneit where infrastructure has been already been done. Also a lot of wyndham residents can be a little dumb. Ie the proposed juvenile jail was protested by people who said its near schools and the housing.  Which I found strange since  the  majority protesting live in truganina have 2 prisons  near by and ignored it when they moved in 

Edited
4 Years Ago by MvFCArsenal16.8
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

PLenty on sokkahtwitter speculating that that may well be the end game.
Check this out from the council:

Appears to be suggesting that the whole development, which looks quite nice above, is taking up the whole of the site.
Seems to suggest that the ground with the 5k stadium is it.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Yeah just leave a little space for temporary seats on the other three sides of that pitch, would be more than sufficient for the short to medium term for WU, certainly miles better than their current collection of ovals, and it'd buy them up to a decade until they had to get the proper stadium finished.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Heart_fan - 18 Sep 2020 10:32 PM

Tend to agree.

Have the main stand, a smaller seating area on the other opposite side of the field, with corporate facilities in that multi level building shown. Doesn’t even need seats or a hill behind the goals, as that can be just a wall if it needs to be.

A 10,000 seat stadium would suit them well, and if things really do well look to build the main stadium concept or expand the existing one. 

Overall, love the concept but would be good to know whether it will look anything like that in the end. It certainly looks like far more than a $23 million build even with just the 3 grounds and the Grandstand, let alone the multi level building mentioned earlier in this post. 

I think post Covid it’s the best the club can do for the time being and is scalable with the clubs stature for the time being.
Expecting someone to part with over $100m right now is a bit of a dream but if they scale it back they can achieve a happy medium that gives the club a solid foundation moving forward.

Like you say, opposite to the main stand can be corporates, media, broadcasting and change rooms with club house and multi purpose function areas for flexible use and income streams.

If they can get 7,000 seats with min overall capacity of 10,000 it achieves everything they need in the next 3-5 years and gives the club a true home, something they can really build from.

Currently having a vague identity and multiple homes is really dragging the club down so I do hope they work with this facility and make do with it.

This type of facility is similar to what Team 11 was aiming for. I wonder if they’ll look for council funding to continue building the community facilities at Casey Fields.
gul15
gul15
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)Hardcore Fan (175 reputation)

Not knowing much about the area or even the state for that matter, could a potential name change to Wyndham United ever be on the cards? 
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class

gul15 - 20 Sep 2020 9:27 AM
Not knowing much about the area or even the state for that matter, could a potential name change to Wyndham United ever be on the cards? 

Even though at first it would at least appear to give them more of a specific identity, Wyndham is only one of quite a few council areas in the Western region. Naming it after that alone would be too limiting in terms of potential reach and appeal across the catchment area.that they are trying to tap into.

They would be more likely to add Melbourne or Victoria to their name than Wyndham. 

Carlito
Carlito
Legend

gul15 - 20 Sep 2020 9:27 AM

There's already  a club called wyndham United. Plus like heart fan stated they don't want to pigeon hole themselves as representing just wyndham  
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search