Aust. V Sri Lanka 2019.

Aust. V Sri Lanka 2019.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle 

Sections of this squad will now form the nucleus of our Ashes squad. Marsh brothers gone. Finch gone. Paine retains the captaincy.  Brave selections with the addition of Renshaw and Pucovski. Reckon they must had one eye on Renshaw's  short England County stint last year in which he scored 3 red ball centuries.. with a view to picking him for the Ashes. It certainly is not due to his  2018/19 Shield returns. Starc and Hazlewood survive. Again without Smith we lack that solid middle order. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

deleted
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 1:38 PM
The main question is can we handle puck in a mature way
don't put unrealistic expectations on the lad and drop him if he doesn't average 90
He has 12 games to get his average to 35. Let him settle and take his time

The last thing we should be doing is putting unrealistic expectations on Puck and any other youngster. Jason Sangha has been talked about as the next big thing since his school days. Was one of the youngest players to hit an away Youth ODI ton. He is the second youngest batsman since Tendulkar to score a red ball ton against an England touring side. He is now 19 ..no double hundreds but two centuries from his 8  FC games at @32 to his name.  Has the media put too much expectation on this kid?

I am not saying discriminate.. be wary. These mental issues stem I understand from his being hit and suffering concussion on three occasions. Not sure in what matches. But that is telling me he is uncomfortable with the fast short ball. So he will be going into his debut match with  added pressure thru his doubts over whether he will be hit again. and lose more game time. I would have eased him into international cricket via the A tour to England.

Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 1:45 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 1:38 PM

I am not saying discriminate.. be wary. These mental issues stem I understand from his being hit and suffering concussion on three occasions. Not sure in what matches. But that is telling me he is uncomfortable with the fast short ball. So he will be going into his debut match with  added pressure thru his doubts over whether he will be hit again. and lose more game time. 

Teenage years - 4 - 3 for Victoria last season...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/will-pucovski-out-of-cricket-with-mental-health-issue-20181026-p50c8u.html

It does say short ball problem a bit doesn't it - is he a compulsive hooker or something?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Jan 2019 2:30 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 1:45 PM

Teenage years - 4 - 3 for Victoria last season...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/will-pucovski-out-of-cricket-with-mental-health-issue-20181026-p50c8u.html

It does say short ball problem a bit doesn't it - is he a compulsive hooker or something?

Have not seen sufficient of him to verify that. But I suppose it appears obvious. I saw footage of his 240 odd for the Vics and there were very few horizontal bat shots. He did hit some sublime drives in the V tho. Almost Ponting like. Looks to have a big future.. providing he can overcome these mental issues.
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 2:37 PM
Paddles - 9 Jan 2019 2:30 PM

Have not seen sufficient to verify that. But I suppose it appears obvious. I saw footage of his 240 odd for the Vics and there were very few horizontal bat shots. He did hit some sublime drives in the V tho. Almost Ponting like. Looks to have a big future.. providing he can overcome these mental issues.

The reports are the mental issues are due to the concussions. 7 is plenty... Especially 4 when in teenage years... Brain is still developing then...

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Jan 2019 2:39 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 2:37 PM

The reports are the mental issues are due to the concussions. 7 is plenty... Especially 4 when in teenage years... Brain is still developing then...

Those whacks as a junior must have created acute trauma for Puck. Then to be hit three times as a senior.. does not help his mental state. Perhaps do away with the hook and pull. It worked for Steve Waugh after which he developed real steel in his game and finished a great.....
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 2:45 PM
Paddles - 9 Jan 2019 2:39 PM

Those whacks as a junior must have created acute trauma for Puck. Then to be hit three times as a senior.. does not help his mental state. Perhaps do away with the hook and pull. It worked for Steve Waugh after which he developed real steel in his game and finished a great.....

You have not commented on the team Paddles. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 2:47 PM

Another squad named. Tour match against the Sri Lankans.
Cricket Australia XI:  Joe Burns (capt), Kurtis Patterson, Scott Boland, Jake Doran, Jon Holland, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Will Pucovski, Jason Sangha, Matt Renshaw, Chris Tremain. 

Jake Doran are they for real. Has Burns ever skippered? This is a strong tour match team..more so in the bowling. Jason Sangha joins Puck as the two next gens.
Edited
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Not much to say - the Sri Lankan bowling is weak as hell, Lakmal may offer something in the day night test under lights with a new kookaburra - but that's rarely ever so well timed bar Faf's declaration at Adelaide two years ago...

Sri Lanka just lost their best batsman in Matthews. 

NZ has been smashing SL 6 ways to sideways - I think Aussie should succeed also. Without Matthews - they're weak in batting. They're weak in seam bowling. If Aus don't get it done - I'll laugh. :P

Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-test-squad-selections-sri-lanka-series-will-pucovski-shock-victoria-marsh-finch/2019-01-09

I imagine it will be something like this...

1 Harris 2 Renshaw 3 Khawaja 4 Head 5 Burns 6 Labu 7 Paine 8 Cummins 9 Starc 10 Lyon 11 Haze

Drinks mixed by Pucovski and banana prep by Siddle...

CA XI warmup game includes Pucovski, Burns and Renshaw - prolly due to BBL:

I'd say Pucovski would need a big score in that game with Burns or maybe even Renshaw failing miserably to get a shot in the test team...

Mind you - Renshaw may just be being groomed for the Ashes in mind...

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 9 Jan 2019 3:19 PM

Not much to say - the Sri Lankan bowling is weak as hell, Lakmal may offer something in the day night test under lights with a new kookaburra - but that's rarely ever so well timed bar Faf's declaration at Adelaide two years ago...

NZ has been smashing SL 6 ways to sideways - I think Aussie should succeed also. Without Matthews - they're weak in batting. They're weak in seam bowling. If Aus don't get it done - I'll laugh. :P

Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-test-squad-selections-sri-lanka-series-will-pucovski-shock-victoria-marsh-finch/2019-01-09

1 Harris 2 Renshaw 3 Khawaja 4 Head 5 Burns 6 Labu 7 Paine 8 Cummins 9 Starc 10 Lyon 11 Haze

I'd say Pucovski would need a big score in that game with Burns or maybe even Renshaw failing miserably to get a shot in the test team...

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 3:32 PM

Precisely why Renshaw was picked. He smoked  513 runs..incl. three centuries during his 11 innings stint with Somerset. last year. Took the club to the top of First Division until a broken finger ended his season. Scoring big runs in English conditions is like gold for an prospective Ashes tourist.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 3:38 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 3:32 PM

That is precisely why Renshaw was picked.  He smoked  513 runs..incl. three centuries during his 11 innings stint with Somerset. last year. Took the club to the top of First Division until a broken finger ended his season. Scoring big runs in English conditions is like gold for an prospective Ashes tourist.

Just when you praise the selectors for dumping dead wood and gambling on  youth..they mess it up by choosing a dud.. one of their project players that has never done anything to warrant the attention...Jake Doran.
I am dumfounded  Doran gets a tour match nod. When did he last keep? Tassie pick him as a batsman only. Why? When he only averages @28 from 32 games with a solitary ton. If they wanted to go for youth why not chooseJosh Philippe who has a ton in 8 Shield games, also keeps..  and has more talent in one finger than Doran has in his entire body.
Edited
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 2:54 PM

Another squad named. Tour match against the Sri Lankans.
Cricket Australia XI:  Joe Burns (capt), Kurtis Patterson, Scott Boland, Jake Doran, Jon Holland, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Will Pucovski, Jason Sangha, Matt Renshaw, Chris Tremain. 

Jake Doran are they for real. Has Burns ever skippered? This is a strong tour match team..more so in the bowling. Jason Sangha joins Puck as the two next gens.

Yeah, what has Jake Doran done? Neser should not be there either. Is Burns opening in this and then opening in the test match or is Patterson going to open like he did for Australia A against India?
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 3:46 PM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 3:38 PM

Just when you praise the selectors for dumping dead wood and gambling on  youth..they mess it up by choosing a dud.. one of their project players that has never done anything to warrant the attention...Jake Doran.
I am dumfounded  Doran gets a CA X1 nod. When did he last keep? Tassie pick him as a batsman only. Why? When he only averages @28 from 32 games with a solitary ton. They could have picked Josh Philippe who has a ton in 8 Shield games and also keeps..  and has more talent in one finger than Doran has in his entire body.

Should have been Pierson by a country mile with Carey playing the one day matches. If not then Wade could keep and be given a chance to show his batting. And you are right Philippe should be their in front of Doran as well, heck I would take Inglis, Gotch, or Nevill as well. Yes every other wicket keeper you can think of should have been selected ahead of Doran.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

So is Burns going to play in the middle order or is it between him and Renshaw to partner Harris with the tour match an opening shoot out between the two?
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Burns has never captained from my recollection, Hartley, then gave Khawaja a couple of games, now Peirson.

True to form the selectors have protected the CA big money players, Siddle???? to old, never a great performer, can't catch like a good 12th man, what's the point. I prefer the CAIX bowling attack, with Cummins for Neser, Lyon for Holland.

Doran selection will be because of the Big Bash, the other wicket keepers are performing there.

Forgot to ask you Baggers about Sangha facing Richardson, I fell off my lounge chair in laughter when I saw him play the bouncer, then realised the poor kid could have been killed. A lot of glaring problems for Sangha, can't play swing and it appears he wants to headbutt the bouncer, and out the next ball. I can only imagine what SA bowlers would be thinking if they played him in the Australian side. I just hope NSW coaches realise this problem early and work with him, unlike what happened to Phil Hughes, he couldn't play short deliveries either, and the poor bloke lost his life because of it.

In case you missed this from Paddles on another thread I've bought it across for you to enjoy the article from NSW media

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-damning-numbers-that-reveal-australia-s-bowling-struggles-20190101-p50p1n.html

But it should all be familiar to you if you've read what Paddles and myself have been discussing, typical media only 2 weeks behind. Don't mention it whilst relevant, its only Sri Lanka without their best batsman, so should be easy numbers for the bowlers.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 1:36 PM
Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle 

Sections of this squad will now form the nucleus of our Ashes squad. Marsh brothers gone. Finch gone. Paine retains the captaincy.  Brave selections with the addition of Renshaw and Pucovski. Reckon they must had one eye on Renshaw's  short England County stint last year in which he scored 3 red ball centuries.. with a view to picking him for the Ashes. It certainly is not due to his  2018/19 Shield returns. Starc and Hazlewood survive. Again without Smith we lack that solid middle order. 

I thought they were having an Aus A 11 next week at Bellerive against Sri Lanka , before they selected the squad?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 10 Jan 2019 4:31 AM
Burns has never captained from my recollection, Hartley, then gave Khawaja a couple of games, now Peirson.

True to form the selectors have protected the CA big money players, Siddle???? to old, never a great performer, can't catch like a good 12th man, what's the point. I prefer the CAIX bowling attack, with Cummins for Neser, Lyon for Holland.

Doran selection will be because of the Big Bash, the other wicket keepers are performing there.

Forgot to ask you Baggers about Sangha facing Richardson, I fell off my lounge chair in laughter when I saw him play the bouncer, then realised the poor kid could have been killed. A lot of glaring problems for Sangha, can't play swing and it appears he wants to headbutt the bouncer, and out the next ball. I can only imagine what SA bowlers would be thinking if they played him in the Australian side. I just hope NSW coaches realise this problem early and work with him, unlike what happened to Phil Hughes, he couldn't play short deliveries either, and the poor bloke lost his life because of it.

In case you missed this from Paddles on another thread I've bought it across for you to enjoy the article from NSW media

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-damning-numbers-that-reveal-australia-s-bowling-struggles-20190101-p50p1n.html

But it should all be familiar to you if you've read what Paddles and myself have been discussing, typical media only 2 weeks behind. Don't mention it whilst relevant, its only Sri Lanka without their best batsman, so should be easy numbers for the bowlers.

I am noticing that a lot of our youngsters struggle against the short ball. Pucovski 7 concussions since his junior days, Sangha as you point out.. Jack Edwards has not looked all that comfortable on a couple of occasions. Marcus Harris .. a little older than the others.. him as well. Keeps getting pinged on the helmet. Ponting says it is a case of  not watching the ball to the last second before evading. Another example of poor junior coaching?

Have already read that SMH article. I am not denying it. Still maintain Starc is the weak link. Could he be bringing down the others? Also has 
sandpapergate" have our quicks running scared to bowl reverse. Hazlewood for one has been a fine exponent of it in the past. As you know I have maintained he should dump swing  because frankly he is not good at it. The only time he has swung the ball conventionally to good affect is during the day/nite pink tests. He can do it then..why not during the day?
Edited
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 10 Jan 2019 9:52 AM

I thought they were having an Aus A 11 next week at Bellerive against Sri Lanka , before they selected the squad?

Perhaps that would have been a very good idea although the Sri Lankans are not exactly the toughest ever opposition.

Their bowling is quite weak although Lakmal did destroy the New Zealand top order in one innings of the recent series. Even their spinners seem to be quite poor.

Paddles is also correct that they have lost Matthews and the rest of their batting is nothing special. Chandimal is quite good, although maybe not in Australian conditions. Karunaratne is a decent opener but they have no one to pair with him. The squad also has 5 wicketkeepers in it. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Great stats to read, Mike!

Thanks for posting it.

Very, very interesting comparisons.

The strike rates are interesting.

When Lyon bowls so many overs as a stock bowler, it doesn't as matter as much that he is taking balls every 75 balls if the runs are kept down. Alarmingly, Hazlewood at 73, is poor for a paceman. He is using a lot more energy.

I've read all about strike rates over the years. Most of the top pace bowlers had strike rates about 50 -52 over the duration  of long careers.

Warne had  a SR at about 58. Hover, he bowled more overs, and averaged only about 2.5 runs per over.

Cummins is very good ATM at a SR of 43.

Starc at 62 SR isn't that bad.

All this data comparing bowlers over the world over a year makes for interesting  reading. I think the current selectors are rewarding  reputation, name and potential more  with the bowling group.

The local press is angy about Wade's non-selection with so many runs scored this season and an average of 60 plus in the Shield.

I'm delighted Renshaw has been selected again - bit it is probably based on potential rather than peprfmance in this year's Shield. I think has has good technique ( according to experts I know) and bats time well under pressure. Outside Smith, I think Renshaw is potentially the best batter  we have. He has played some dogged innings in Asia.  

I'd have preferred t the deletes to wait until after the tour game, and see how Meredith's extreme  pace compares to military medium Tremain and Boland against Sri Lanka.

Why hasn't Michael Neser been thrown in as an all rounder? He has performed in the Shield this year with bat and ball.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 10 Jan 2019 9:52 AM

A CAX1 DC tour warm up match. Australia A is a different squad altogether. I can understand why you are confused. CAX1 sides usually comprise next gen players. Not this one next week.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 10 Jan 2019 10:16 AM

Thanks for posting it.

When Lyon bowls so many overs as a stock bowler, it doesn't as matter as much that he is taking balls every 75 balls if the runs are kept down. Alarmingly, Hazlewood at 73, is poor for a paceman. He is using a lot more energy.

I've read all about strike rates over the years. Most of the top pace bowlers had strike rates about 50 -52 over the duration  of long careers.

Warne had  a SR at about 58. Hover, he bowled more overs, and averaged only about 2.5 runs per over.

All this data comparing bowlers over the world over a year makes for interesting  reading. I think the current selectors are rewarding  reputation, name and potential more  with the bowling group.

The local press is angy about Wade's non-selection with so many runs scored this season and an average of 60 plus in the Shield.

I'm delighted Renshaw has been selected again - bit it is probably based on potential rather than peprfmance in this year's Shield. I think has has good technique ( according to experts I know) and bats time well under pressure. Outside Smith, I think Renshaw is potentially the best batter  we have. He has played some dogged innings in Asia.  

I'd have preferred t the deletes to wait until after the tour game, and see how Meredith's extreme  pace compares to military medium Tremain and Boland against Sri Lanka.

Why hasn't Michael Neser been thrown in as an all rounder? He has performed in the Shield this year with bat and ball.

DC Renshaw has been picked with the Ashes in mind. As I posted earlier he tore County cricket apart last year with his stint for Somerset. 

In my opinion Neser is no where near an all rounder. His bowling is not even first class. He is on the improve tho..specially with the bat.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 10 Jan 2019 10:16 AM

Thanks for posting it.

Neser has not done anything special with the ball this season, but he is in the match in Hobart.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

No Meredith for CA 11?

Ridiculous!

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 10 Jan 2019 9:59 AM

I am noticing that a lot of our youngsters struggle against the short ball. Pucovski 7 concussions since his junior days, Sangha as you point out.. Jack Edwards has not looked all that comfortable on a couple of occasions. Marcus Harris .. a little older than the others.. him as well. Keeps getting pinged on the helmet. Ponting says it is a case of  not watching the ball to the last second before evading. Another example of poor junior coaching?

Have already read that SMH article. I am not denying it. Still maintain Starc is the weak link. Could he be bringing down the others? Also has 
sandpapergate" have our quicks running scared to bowl reverse. Hazlewood for one has been a fine exponent of it in the past. As you know I have maintained he should dump swing  because frankly he is not good at it. The only time he has swung the ball conventionally to good affect is during the day/nite pink tests. He can do it then..why not during the day?

These young players are being promoted well and truly before they are ready. There is a big difference between U19 pace compared to shield level pace, they're too slow in avoiding. One of these young players could be killed, and the Sangha incident against Richardson shows how little experience he has even in avoidance. They need an U23 tournament at the same time as shield. Get the talented a chance to adapt in the step up in grade, if they do well, then by all means promote them to shield, then on further if they continue to develop. Pucovski is not ready in my opinion, against Sri Lanka sure, nothing really above shield level pace, but if he does well, Ashes? Liam Plunkett can get it close to 150 as can Tymal Mills, For NZ Adam Milne can also get the pace up there. It is dangerous especially if as you said he has suffered concussion previously from being struck and that was against junior bowling.

Why would sandpapergate prevent someone from bowling reverse? The more obvious question is why since sandpapergate can our bowlers no longer bowl reverse? How much effect was the tape, that Warner "our designated ball shiner" was wearing, having. It which was questioned by SA, IMO the masters of ball tampering, they know all the tricks. I'll say it, if others are afraid to, if any team in the world has a designated ball shiner, something dodgy is going on. I don't care which team it is, all players know which side of the ball to shine is.........the shiny one! you don't need special talents to work that out. Funny since Warner was asked to remove the tape from his hand, how his "injury", the reason for wearing the tape, miraculously healed and coincidentally Starc and Hazlewood, our "masters of getting the ball to reverse" can't do it any more, that was evident in the 2nd test SA prior to Sandpapergate. I still don't believe in coincidence. 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

MikeR - 10 Jan 2019 11:55 AM
baggygreenmania - 10 Jan 2019 9:59 AM

Why would sandpapergate prevent someone from bowling reverse? The more obvious question is why since sandpapergate can our bowlers no longer bowl reverse? How much effect was the tape, that Warner "our designated ball shiner" was wearing, having. It which was questioned by SA, IMO the masters of ball tampering, they know all the tricks. I'll say it, if others are afraid to, if any team in the world has a designated ball shiner, something dodgy is going on. I don't care which team it is, all players know which side of the ball to shine is.........the shiny one! you don't need special talents to work that out. Funny since Warner was asked to remove the tape from his hand, how his "injury", the reason for wearing the tape, miraculously healed and coincidentally Starc and Hazlewood, our "masters of getting the ball to reverse" can't do it any more, that was evident in the 2nd test SA prior to Sandpapergate. I still don't believe in coincidence. 

Hmmm SA accuse him of tampering with those bandages on Mar 11... Warner denies it. Then sandpapergate two weeks later... Post sandpapergate no reverse swing for Starc and Josh... the irony is - Warner is the eldest and would typically be the first to retire and the write the bio - but I can see him joining t20 tours post Australia rep days...
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Paddles - 10 Jan 2019 12:07 PM
MikeR - 10 Jan 2019 11:55 AM

Hmmm SA accuse him of tampering with those bandages on Mar 11... Warner denies it. Then sandpapergate two weeks later... Post sandpapergate no reverse swing for Starc and Josh... the irony is - Warner is the eldest and would typically be the first to retire and the write the bio - but I can see him joining t20 tours post Australia rep days...

I thought about it Paddles and I do believe that the reason Starc and Hazlewood have been poorly performing, is that Australia is missing their designated ball shiner, they don't know which side to shine.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

MikeR - 10 Jan 2019 12:21 PM

I thought about it Paddles and I do believe that the reason Starc and Hazlewood have been poorly performing, is that Australia is missing their designated ball shiner, they don't know which side to shine.

Surely if that is case it is more than they don't know which side to rough up or how to do it without getting caught.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 10 Jan 2019 12:21 PM

Don't joke about this!

A few off air, in the know, claim this is why they are struggling - not having illicit ball tamperers working on it.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search