Eurosnobs

Eurosnobs

Author
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Davstar - 14 Mar 2019 7:54 PM
The HAL cant survive with good attendance during the final series but poor attendance during the season - the final series under minds the point of topping the ladder and every league game making the league inherently less interesting because you can theoretically come 6th and win the title so most casual fans dont take notice until towards the end of the season. 

you can blame the FFA on that. As a Victory fan, I still consider Sydney to be last years title winners and so do most purists. its the FFA that push the narrative of the GF winners. 

As for the casual fans not taking notice until the end of the season... are you suggesting we get rid of the finals so the casual fans don't follow the HAL at all? Or did i misinterpret you?
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Burztur - 15 Mar 2019 9:09 AM
NixCrewCross - 15 Mar 2019 6:21 AM

Championship is a clear example.

I don't mind the finals. What's annoying is that the winner of the finals is deemed the champions. The premiers should be held in higher regard.

This in bold.
That is our Games pinnacle from its origins.
1st past the post are the REAL Champion and should be held in much higher regard and reported as such.
I do like finals having grown up here due to the Aussie afl/nrl/aru format/system but we followed which ok thats fine BUT lets get this corrected that first past the post after so many games is THE Champ, the other is Finals Champ thats it and not in higher regard.

Seriously what a wank over euro snobs and new dawners or whoever you are.
Were all Football supporters in the big picture be it Euro Clubs or AL or PL, to tell someone what they should be doing lol.....

Love Football

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)World Class (8.8K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 15 Mar 2019 9:28 AM
Davstar - 14 Mar 2019 7:54 PM

you can blame the FFA on that. As a Victory fan, I still consider Sydney to be last years title winners and so do most purists. its the FFA that push the narrative of the GF winners. 

As for the casual fans not taking notice until the end of the season... are you suggesting we get rid of the finals so the casual fans don't follow the HAL at all? Or did i misinterpret you?

Im suggesting casual fans would more likely go to a league game if there was no 'final series' which potentially might make them real fans or at least watch the sport a bit more....  - people dont realize this but attendance doesnt matter much it is TV viewers that brings the money into the sport u need people watching all season long not just during the play offs - 

Ill use an example right now the NBL 'finals' are on i have no idea that the NBL was going on until about 2 weeks ago because all the marketing is focused on the 'final series' instead of the actually competition. I as a non-NBL fan would probably go to the final series but if there was no final series i would probably check out a NBL game now and then but because im not a hard core NBL fan im less likely to watch during the regular season because there is no major stakes...

The whole idea of a finals play off is moronic if anything the team that wins the league should win the 'major champion' and the team that wins the play offs should be like a minor title or something like a cup comp kind of thing.

Stop thinking about the HAL and think about another sport you dont particularly care...When does the marketing for it occur? during the BBL it was a little during the season but all the media was focuses during the finals which is exactly what you dont want... you need people to check out the sport during the season even if it is just the big matches ie MVFC vs City  because thats how they join the club. Finals play offs is the more plastic shit and call me a eurosnob for it i dont really care that is my opinion and it wont change...

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

Edited
3 Years Ago by Davstar
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

A few people made fun of me for making this discussion but three pages and a lot of good points made on both sides 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Davstar - 15 Mar 2019 9:38 AM
Im suggesting casual fans would more likely go to a league game if there was no 'final series' which potentially might make them real fans or at least watch the sport a bit more....  - people dont realize this but attendance doesnt matter much it is TV viewers that brings the money into the sport u need people watching all season long not just during the play offs - 

I get what you're saying, but I just don't agree with your logic. how do you know casual fans won't switch off altogether without the finals? plus the HAL finals are only for 3 weeks. I can't see how removing them would bring extra TV viewers for the regular season. perhaps if the fight for the premiers place was tight? but wouldn't that still be the case even if we had finals? I can tell you from my perspective that the league was a boring as batshit this time last year because Sydney were miles ahead. But there was a bit more invigoration once the finals started. 
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

AJF - 14 Mar 2019 8:20 PM
Its a bit like comparing the snags at bunnings (HAL) to a rib eye at Squires Loft, both are bbq'd meat and fill you when you are hungry, but given a choice most people will go the steak.

The people brought up on cheap sauages (HAL fanboys) have difficulty understanding what the fuss is about a ribeye because old Myrtle at bunnings gives them extra oinions (star wars round) for free and thats ripper bonza mate!!

Is this the Rib Eye you were referring to ;) 

Sometimes shit on a plate with a foreign name is still shit on a plate
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

LFC. - 15 Mar 2019 9:36 AM
Burztur - 15 Mar 2019 9:09 AM
NixCrewCross - 15 Mar 2019 6:21 AM

Championship is a clear example.

I don't mind the finals. What's annoying is that the winner of the finals is deemed the champions. The premiers should be held in higher regard.

This in bold.
That is our Games pinnacle from its origins.
1st past the post are the REAL Champion and should be held in much higher regard and reported as such.
I do like finals having grown up here due to the Aussie afl/nrl/aru format/system but we followed which ok thats fine BUT lets get this corrected that first past the post after so many games is THE Champ, the other is Finals Champ thats it and not in higher regard.

Seriously what a wank over euro snobs and new dawners or whoever you are.
Were all Football supporters in the big picture be it Euro Clubs or AL or PL, to tell someone what they should be doing lol.....

Completely agree but would not like to see the finals not played. Sudden death football is an enjoyable spectacle.

More emphasis on the premiers is needed but a massive part of the problem is at grass roots level where no one really gives a shit about finishing top of the table.

The FFA and the state feds, the players, coaches and fans really need to start pumping up the achievement of the premiers because at the moment no one cares. All the talk towards the end of the season is whether your team will make the semi's or not.  And if those at the grass roots don't care how can we blame fans of the A-League for not giving a shit either?

Even at the big presentation after the GF (at least where I am) they never even mention, or present a trophy to the premiers.

I've said for years, if they must have finals, have 2 trophies and call the premiers the 'premiers' (or 'league champions') and the GF winners 'finals champion'.

Then punters can argue the relative merits of the teams to their hearts content.

Member since 2008.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

aok - 15 Mar 2019 11:26 AM

Eventually you get used to the onions falling out of your bunnings snag and it appears quite normal

Image result for brisbane roar numbers fall off

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

aok - 15 Mar 2019 11:26 AM

The most shocking thing about that video is that Celina is only 22, who in their right mind would give youngsters that sort of responsibility?!

You'd never see that in the HAL, over 30's only

Edited
3 Years Ago by AJF
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

There is no reason why a proper football league would have finals.
The sooner we get rid of them the better.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 15 Mar 2019 11:43 AM
LFC. - 15 Mar 2019 9:36 AM

Completely agree but would not like to see the finals not played. Sudden death football is an enjoyable spectacle.

More emphasis on the premiers is needed but a massive part of the problem is at grass roots level where no one really gives a shit about finishing top of the table.

The FFA and the state feds, the players, coaches and fans really need to start pumping up the achievement of the premiers because at the moment no one cares. All the talk towards the end of the season is whether your team will make the semi's or not.  And if those at the grass roots don't care how can we blame fans of the A-League for not giving a shit either?

Even at the big presentation after the GF (at least where I am) they never even mention, or present a trophy to the premiers.

I've said for years, if they must have finals, have 2 trophies and call the premiers the 'premiers' (or 'league champions') and the GF winners 'finals champion'.

Then punters can argue the relative merits of the teams to their hearts content.

Having played Prem levels for yonks and now in my vet years O35/O45 1's now mucking about with mates in lower Div the Minor Prem gets promoted so I don't get the mind set making the semi's more important to them for its about winning.
Sure those in the minor placings its all they have left and it is fun but no way is it above being Premier.
In the Association Comp I play end of the Finals the Premier is always mentioned and presented with their medals.
I suppose thats the new dawn mentality, I started when there was NO Finals but for Cup and other sideline comps.

The blame is entirely on the Governance, sheep follow.

Love Football

aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)