Eurosnobs

Eurosnobs

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Melbcityguy - 18 Mar 2019 3:14 PM
Decentric - 18 Mar 2019 2:36 PM

thank you everyone here should be looking to discuss issues to improve the game if not you might as well go join bigfooty 

The problem is - to discuss issues to improve the game here, you have to address the current state of the game, etc...  Some are in complete denial about the current state of the game and immediately accuse you of downtalking the local game as soon as you start to analyse shortcomings.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 18 Mar 2019 2:22 PM
Benjamin - 14 Mar 2019 1:02 PM

They couldn't.

They didn't qualify for  a WC in 32 years of NSL.

Interesting observation, particularity since NSL was formed in 1977 and was only around for 28 seasons.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 15 Mar 2019 9:52 AM

Sadly, as time has progressed this forum has become a lot more cynical and negative. The culprits probably aren't very happy in their lives off forum.

Perhaps the posters on here are a reflection of the wider footballing community and are losing interest in the HAL. Just check out the Fox numbers for the Saturday night MV BR match, 19K! If that doesnt give the fanboys a reality check, not sure what will.

Finally, trying to deflect the HAL's problems onto peoples personal lives is quite cynical & negative, dont you think?

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Benjamin - 18 Mar 2019 2:54 PM
Decentric - 18 Mar 2019 2:44 PM

The squad developed in the NSL era is considered to be our Golden Generation - that's not selective information.  As the Golden Generation players have dropped away, so to has the quality of the national team.  You and I both know that given an Asian qualification pathway, with the back up of a play-off for being the 5th best team in the federation, the 1998, 2002 and 2006 squads would have breezed into the world cup finals.

I think Asian football has improved immeasurably since that epoch, but so have other federations.

I don't like the term GG. It has connotations of a naive 'European fan boy mentality'. European football isn't a homogeneous entirety, but one that exudes heterogeneity in terms of quality of European nations overall.

Some of the GG pundits on TV, exude a lack of knowledge about contemporary football compared to their mates who've studied contemporary  coach education since they hung up their boots.

In terms of  club careers the term GG may have merit, but in terms of international football in the same era,  the supposed GG didn't qualify for the WC in 1994, 1998 and 2002.

When I go back to the old videos, most of  the GG players don't look that good when one uses comprehensive technical football performance criteria to evaluate the GG players in Socceroo games - and -   the tactics look naive. Poignantly, global  football has improved markedly since.

I know these points that have been discussed ad infinitum on here. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Group: Awaiting Activation
AJF - 18 Mar 2019 4:03 PM

Perhaps the posters on here are a reflection of the wider footballing community and are losing interest in the HAL. Just check out the Fox numbers for the Saturday night MV BR match, 19K! If that doesnt give the fanboys a reality check, not sure what will.

Finally, trying to deflect the HAL's problems onto peoples personal lives is quite cynical & negative, dont you think?

I'm guilty of the first sentence, AJF!

People who constructively elucidate issues as to why  football is declining are fine.

It is some who take delight in laughing at any failure of our national teams, and, club teams in the ACL that is the issue.

My decline in interest in the HAL, is because Gallop and Lowly knocked back an excellent bid for a team in my neck of the woods.

It is more to do with Fox running football in Oz, and their overlord, Murdoch ( who has induced me to become a political activist against everything he stands for) who  dictate where football will be played that is my grievance.

I'd have also been much keener on the HAL if a new bid had included an established NPL club like South Melb, SU, Melb Knights, ( to see if it works) or/and a regional club, like Canberra. If not Tassie at least give the ACT a go, or Wollongong.

If you are correct that MV and Roar only drew 19 000 spectators, football is struggling even more than I thought.

I blame mismanagement, ego and vendettas, at the highest level football governance for destroying the game in the last four years.

Sadly, we've already seen in in the Tony Labozzetta era in the NSL.  

Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Decentric - 18 Mar 2019 9:48 PM

I think Asian football has improved immeasurably since that epoch, but so have other federations.

I don't like the term GG. It has connotations of a naive 'European fan boy mentality'. European football isn't a homogeneous entirety, but one that exudes heterogeneity in terms of quality of European nations overall.

Some of the GG pundits on TV, exude a lack of knowledge about contemporary football compared to their mates who've studied contemporary  coach education since they hung up their boots.

In terms of  club careers the term GG may have merit, but in terms of international football in the same era,  the supposed GG didn't qualify for the WC in 1994, 1998 and 2002.

When I go back to the old videos, most of  the GG players don't look that good when one uses comprehensive technical football performance criteria to evaluate the GG players in Socceroo games - and -   the tactics look naive. Poignantly, global  football has improved markedly since.

I know these points that have been discussed ad infinitum on here. 

Asian football has moved forward...  Global football has moved forward...  Yet our football has stood still...  Once again, not a strong defence for the quality of the A-League, the FFA's actions, etc.  If our "Golden Generation" wasn't that good - what does that say about the current squad?
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Sadly, as time has progressed this forum has become a lot more cynical and negative. The culprits probably aren't very happy in their lives off forum.

A plethora of positive posters have left 442 in the last five years - and - their loss has detracted from the quality of the forum.  

Good on you for starting threads, Melb City Guy.

Some who incessantly criticise others, never start any threads, never have constructive ideas or see anything positive in what others post.

To digress,  what some local female politicians have incurred from male online trolls has been made public. One can only deduce they are sadists - but also cowards.  

some good posting Decentric and and agree you thoughts re Melb City Guy. there are way too many half glass empty negative flogs doing the rounds.  
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

A plethora of positive posters have left 442 in the last five years - and - their loss has detracted from the quality of the forum.  

Good on you for starting threads, Melb City Guy.

Some who incessantly criticise others, never start any threads, never have constructive ideas or see anything positive in what others post.

To digress,  what some local female politicians have incurred from male online trolls has been made public. One can only deduce they are sadists - but also cowards.  

People are entitled to express and opinion, decentric, without you commenting on their private lives.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 19 Mar 2019 11:19 AM

some good posting Decentric and and agree you thoughts re Melb City Guy. there are way too many half glass empty negative flogs doing the rounds.  

I see it another way re the half glass empty quote.
All I see is passion from people frustrated where our game as a whole has not moved forward for the overall better good by now.
The main positive/s Lowy starting the AL was bringing more professionalism finally to our game and increased the exposure.
Massive positives they are but alot in between has been mis managed.
I won't go on about a Franchise system and no P/R other threads cover that but pointing the finger at Eurosnobs sure isn't a way to turn them around as well.
I'm a Eurosnob, a Socceroossnob, a SFCsnob, a PLsnob, others are not as invested and I am not going to criticise the many I know who support Euro leagues and don't go on about AL as I would.
Everyone is different.
Decentric and the many who have left (some troublemakers) makes you wonder why did they leave last 5yrs ?
Maybe its not the mood in the forum but the FFA etc as a whole ?
I watch near on every week whereas you have quoted you haven't much since Tas hasn't got a gig (i wish by the way) so your guilty like a Eurosnob no ? and by the way watching that 1st half of MV/Roar last Friday felt like I watching PL imo.
I go to many SFC over the seasons and at times its brilliant and others I'm like wtf frustrating.
Yer thats football you can't see brilliance every game I accept that but AL is struggling and I'm a passionate Football supporter who's willing to keep suffering with the good whereas for a casual it would be like roulette, IF they are lucky they will enjoy the show (a win) but in general they'd walk away thinking I've been there done that.
By the way Melb City Guy, keep it going mate.
Davstar, I like your input keep it going as well.
TBH were all in a large team, you can't like everyone but we should all get along for the better cause, a win right.

Love Football

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

LFC. - 19 Mar 2019 8:27 PM
I won't go on about a Franchise system and no P/R other threads cover that but pointing the finger at Eurosnobs sure isn't a way to turn them around as well.
I'm a Eurosnob, a Socceroossnob, a SFCsnob, a PLsnob, others are not as invested and I am not going to criticise the many I know who support Euro leagues and don't go on about AL as I would.

nah bugger them. name and shame. they deserve it. 
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Our game right now seems like it is in caretaker mode until the Clubs take over an independent league .
There are no innovations and no one is spending money to brighten things up.
We need fresh coaches fresh players and fresh ideas from clubs to connect us to our game again.
Every year we see coaches recycled in different clubs and even more players recycled .
Maybe with the clubs in charge and with an ability to make money they may spend more and look to change things .

I have loved football all my life but right now the A-League is boring me.....and its not just because my team is shit .....(Brisbane Roar)
I was watching Sydney FC play on the weekend .My God what a slow dull game . So much passing backwards and sideways ..and at snails pace . It seems the general A-League style now is to simply pass the ball around against an opposition that sits back in numbers . Eventually someone passes wide to a winger (back) who crosses and someone tries to head it in (and nearly always misses). The other team that sits back hopes they defend it and then can put a long ball forward to catch the other on the break .
It is all done slowly and is monotonous and predictable .

Teams need to become more inventive and try different forms of attack.
Never thought I would say this but.... Phoenix are the best team to watch at present ...they go forward with purpose... and at pace .
There.. I said it ...I am now going to wash my mouth out with soap.

Edited
5 Years Ago by miron mercedes
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

miron mercedes - 20 Mar 2019 1:00 PM
Our game right now seems like it is in caretaker mode until the Clubs take over an independent league .
There are no innovations and no one is spending money to brighten things up.
We need fresh coaches fresh players and fresh ideas from clubs to connect us to our game again.
Every year we see coaches recycled in different clubs and even more players recycled .
Maybe with the clubs in charge and with an ability to make money they may spend more and look to change things .

I have loved football all my life but right now the A-League is boring me.....and its not just because my team is shit .....(Brisbane Roar)
I was watching Sydney FC play on the weekend .My God what a slow dull game . So much passing backwards and sideways ..and at snails pace . It seems the general A-League style now is to simply pass the ball around against an opposition that sits back in numbers . Eventually someone passes wide to a winger (back) who crosses and someone tries to head it in (and nearly always misses). The other team that sits back hopes they defend it and then can put a long ball forward to catch the other on the break .
It is all done slowly and is monotonous and predictable .

Teams need to become more inventive and try different forms of attack.
Never thought I would say this but.... Phoenix are the best team to watch at present ...they go forward with purpose... and at pace .
There.. I said it ...I am now going to wash my mouth out with soap.

Good points but what about perth? 
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Decentric - 18 Mar 2019 2:44 PM

The squad developed in the NSL era is considered to be our Golden Generation - that's not selective information.  As the Golden Generation players have dropped away, so to has the quality of the national team.  You and I both know that given an Asian qualification pathway, with the back up of a play-off for being the 5th best team in the federation, the 1998, 2002 and 2006 squads would have breezed into the world cup finals.

and the guy who scored both our goals at the 2018 World Cup was developed in the NSL too haha. Fun fact, the Socceroos have scored 13 goals in the last 4 World Cup tournaments. 0 of the Goal Scorers started out in the A League. (Cahill, Jedinak, Holman, Kewell, Moore, Aloisi)

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Easier to convert a Eurosnob into a follower of their local club than an A League club.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

General Ashnak - 20 Mar 2019 5:25 PM
Easier to convert a Eurosnob into a follower of their local club than an A League club.

Ain't seen that username in a while. 
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

JonoMV - 20 Mar 2019 5:27 PM
General Ashnak - 20 Mar 2019 5:25 PM

Ain't seen that username in a while. 

Disturbed that I'm still one of the top posters here despite posting 10 times in 5 years haha

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.

JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro

General Ashnak - 20 Mar 2019 5:41 PM
JonoMV - 20 Mar 2019 5:27 PM

Disturbed that I'm still one of the top posters here despite posting 10 times in 5 years haha

It's pretty much a ghost town.. kinda like the A League at the moment. 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

JonoMV - 20 Mar 2019 5:21 PM

and the guy who scored both our goals at the 2018 World Cup was developed in the NSL too haha. Fun fact, the Socceroos have scored 13 goals in the last 4 World Cup tournaments. 0 of the Goal Scorers started out in the A League. (Cahill, Jedinak, Holman, Kewell, Moore, Aloisi)

So are you saying the A League is nearly as bad as the NSL at producing players? 
In my opinion, the A League is much better at producing players.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend

MarkfromCroydon - 21 Mar 2019 6:52 PM
JonoMV - 20 Mar 2019 5:21 PM

So are you saying the A League is nearly as bad as the NSL at producing players? 
In my opinion, the A League is much better at producing players.

I don't think the A League has produced any players, though it has allowed a few players to move onto clubs that have developed them.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

How easy it is to think a player in the NSL - which was played in slow motion, would be able to repeat his form in the HAL.

In a resort somewhere

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

paulc - 22 Mar 2019 9:48 AM
How easy it is to think a player in the NSL - which was played in slow motion, would be able to repeat his form in the HAL.

Unfortunately, we're talking about players developed in the NSL who's form was then displayed in European leagues and at international level...  Presumably neither being played in slow motion.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Ryan, Langerak, Mooy, Rogic, Arzani, Sainsbury, Kruse, Behich, Leckie, Mabil etc etc
Thanks A League.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

MarkfromCroydon - 22 Mar 2019 1:59 PM
Ryan, Langerak, Mooy, Rogic, Arzani, Sainsbury, Kruse, Behich, Leckie, Mabil etc etc
Thanks A League.

It's good that you're happy with that group as representatives of how good the A-League has been in the last 15 years...  Hard to argue with Ryan, Mooy and Leckie...  Hopefully Arzani fulfils his potential and doesn't crash like Oar did...  Rogic is pretty good so long as you don't expect him to play 90 minutes - and Sainsbury and Behich are showing signs of being top quality bench warmers in Holland...

That said, if we look at the last 15 years of the NSL we get Schwarzer, Bosnich, Bresciano, Grella, Culina, Popovic, Muscat, Vidmar, Holman, Emerton, Chipperfield, Sterjovski, Cahill, Viduka, Aloisi - all of whom played at a high level in Europe for a number of seasons...  .
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

A few people got very personal with me because I said they are plastic for supporting a overseas team coming here for a friendly instead of supporting an a league team. Strange world we live in 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

the strange world that some gens think is great and beyond :)

Love Football

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

fox sports football posted about the a league good to see the eurosnobs out in full force 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 25 Mar 2019 9:23 PM
A few people got very personal with me because I said they are plastic for supporting a overseas team coming here for a friendly instead of supporting an a league team. Strange world we live in 

Supporting a franchise is as plastic as they come. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

WSF - 17 Oct 2019 1:48 PM

Personally I think you’re BOTH demonstrating snobbish traits. 

I’v  no problem with people supporting an overseas club PROVIDING they don’t feel the need to bash the A-League to do it (that’s just f’kin insulting to supporters of “lower league” clubs the world over not just the A-League. 

Whether clubs are franchises or not (they’re not any more but let’s move on) is irrelevant - that refers to a legal operating structure not whether they are a “club” or not. It’s like arguing supporting Liverpool or Man City is plastic because they’re part of sports conglomerates that also use the franchising business model because of it’s tax benefits. 

Football has more than enough enemies in this country, we don’t need to fight amongst ourselves. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Waz - 17 Oct 2019 2:06 PM

Personally I think you’re BOTH demonstrating snobbish traits. 

I’v  no problem with people supporting an overseas club PROVIDING they don’t feel the need to bash the A-League to do it (that’s just f’kin insulting to supporters of “lower league” clubs the world over not just the A-League. 

Whether clubs are franchises or not (they’re not any more but let’s move on) is irrelevant - that refers to a legal operating structure not whether they are a “club” or not. It’s like arguing supporting Liverpool or Man City is plastic because they’re part of sports conglomerates that also use the franchising business model because of it’s tax benefits. 

Football has more than enough enemies in this country, we don’t need to fight amongst ourselves. 

well said close the thread 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro

Nearly as plastic as supporting a mono ethnic social club who just happens to field a semi pro football team on the side.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search