National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due within a month

National second division format announce! Expressions of interest due...

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
• A new national tier of football between the A-League Men competition and the National Premier Leagues, with the opportunity for promotion and relegation to be considered once mature 
• A home and away league structure with finals, comprised of between 10 and 16 teams and featuring between 24 to 36 games
• Successful Respondents to the Application Process would be required to depart their existing football competitions for the National Second Tier
• National Second Tier Clubs will enter into a Club Participation Agreement setting out the terms of participation, including but not limited to the following requirements: 
• professional playing contracts for all players, with salaries paid 52 weeks of the year; 
• ‘off field’ operations run by employed staff throughout 12 months of the year; 
• investment in and operation of a full talent development pathway within their club structure; and
• access to a suitable high-quality match day facility 12 months of the year.
numklpkgulftumch
numklpkgulftumch
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Why start another thread ?

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

numklpkgulftumch - 3 Feb 2023 2:23 PM
Why start another thread ?

its a big deal
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

You should have named the thread "National second division is kicking off with the FA"
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Anyway, let the speculation begin (again).
The FA have indicated they want a min of 10 clubs and a max of 16. 
Which clubs does everyone think will actually be able to meet the criteria.
The following are the clubs that signed the AAFC report last year. We can assume the majority of the submissions will come from this group, but feel free to speculate any club not on this list:
ACT
  • Canberra Croatia
  • Gungahlin United
NSW
  • APIA Leichhardt
  • Marconi Stallions
  • Rockdale Ilinden
  • Sydney Olympic
  • Sydney United 58
  • Wollongong Wolves
  • Edgeworth FC
QLD
  • Peninsula Power
  • Sunshine Coast
  • Wynnum Wolves
SA
  • Adelaide City
  • Campbelltown City
  • North Eastern MetroStars
  • West Torrens Birkalla
TAS
  • South Hobart
VIC
  • Altona Magic
  • Avondale FC
  • Bentleigh Greens
  • Bulleen Lions
  • Caroline Springs George Cross
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City
  • Melbourne Knights
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Preston Lions
  • South Melbourne
WA
  • Bayswater City
  • Perth SC

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 2:47 PM
You should have named the thread "National second division is kicking off with the FA"

Lol
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 2:52 PM
Anyway, let the speculation begin (again).
The FA have indicated they want a min of 10 clubs and a max of 16. 
Which clubs does everyone think will actually be able to meet the criteria.
The following are the clubs that signed the AAFC report last year. We can assume the majority of the submissions will come from this group, but feel free to speculate any club not on this list:
ACT
  • Canberra Croatia
  • Gungahlin United
NSW
  • APIA Leichhardt
  • Marconi Stallions
  • Rockdale Ilinden
  • Sydney Olympic
  • Sydney United 58
  • Wollongong Wolves
  • Edgeworth FC
QLD
  • Peninsula Power
  • Sunshine Coast
  • Wynnum Wolves
SA
  • Adelaide City
  • Campbelltown City
  • North Eastern MetroStars
  • West Torrens Birkalla
TAS
  • South Hobart
VIC
  • Altona Magic
  • Avondale FC
  • Bentleigh Greens
  • Bulleen Lions
  • Caroline Springs George Cross
  • Heidelberg United
  • Hume City
  • Melbourne Knights
  • Oakleigh Cannons
  • Preston Lions
  • South Melbourne
WA
  • Bayswater City
  • Perth SC

I said this on other NSD thread that will the a-league reserves sides would throw their hat in the ring too? 

Also will we see some mergers too?
Edited
Last Year by Barca4Life
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Barca4Life - 3 Feb 2023 3:08 PM
someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 2:52 PM

I said this on other NSD thread that will the a-league reserves sides would throw their hat in the ring too? 

Also will we see some mergers too?

There won't be any A-Leagues sides, this was dismissed a while ago. It is also a condition of entry into the NSD.
"Successful Respondents to the Application Process would be required to depart their existing football competitions for the National Second Tier"
This would apply both up and down.

As for mergers, it's definitely a possibility. Not sure how popular it would be though.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 3:15 PM

There won't be any A-Leagues sides, this was dismissed a while ago. It is also a condition of entry into the NSD.
"Successful Respondents to the Application Process would be required to depart their existing football competitions for the National Second Tier"

As for mergers, it's definitely a possibility. Not sure how popular it would be though.

Ok thanks for clarifying that, I remember something from Danny Townsend saying that he will wait to see what the NSD would look like or something like that before making a decision with regarding to the Y-League.

As for mergers I agree it might become a possiblity depending on how many clubs have the resources to go alone.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I reckon there about six, maybe seven, who right here, right now, can immediately meet what are pretty tough criteria.

Those old NSL clubs from Vic/NSW who still operate their own grounds, or have long term leases, are already ahead of the game.

Someone like Canberra Croatia, with a nice club sitting alongside their own boutique stadium might be a bit of a dark horse.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I have heard a very very tasty rumour........ If true will truly shock the shit out of everyone here...... 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 3:29 PM

I have heard a very very tasty rumour........ If true will truly shock the shit out of everyone here...... 

I'm curious?
Squidley
Squidley
Super Fan
Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)Super Fan (151 reputation)

I would say a quarter of the clubs mentioned here would actually be able to meet the requirements outlined by the FFA
Edited
Last Year by Squidley
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Barca4Life - 3 Feb 2023 3:22 PM

Ok thanks for clarifying that, I remember something from Danny Townsend saying that he will wait to see what the NSD would look like or something like that before making a decision with regarding to the Y-League.

As for mergers I agree it might become a possiblity depending on how many clubs have the resources to go alone.

having it full professional from the get go and forbidding reserve squads guarantees p and r to happen pretty quickly whether the fa intends this or not
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Away days in Wollongong, Apia, Marconi, Syd Croatia, Adelaide Juve, Brisbane .... in just over 12 months???? Holy shit have a died and gone to Heaven?

Before the "dissecting" begins can I just say that a huge congratulations should go out for all of us that patiently preyed for this to Nick Galatas and the other club presidents and visionaries in the AAFC who pushed the cause. Volunteered their own time and money and presented the new FA with the data and modelling they could no longer ignore.... Also to JJ and the new, improved FA who had the determination to see this through.......  A huge THANK YOU and CONGRATULATIONS to all involved....  It is going to be such a momentous occasion when, almost 20 years to the day, WE can finally have a national football comp again.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 3 Feb 2023 3:33 PM
Barca4Life - 3 Feb 2023 3:22 PM

having it full professional from the get go and forbidding reserve squads guarantees p and r to happen pretty quickly whether the fa intends this or not

I agree... that was my initial thought too.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 3 Feb 2023 3:31 PM

I'm curious?

Put it this way, two clubs of opposing "ethnicities" may be joining forces.... hahahahah no more hints :)

And no its not Hellas either.....
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Possible broadcaster???? Hope not :(
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 3:44 PM

Possible broadcaster???? Hope not :(

I'd say it's probably more than a possibility, it's actually likely.
The FA already have the national stuff and the Australia cup with 10/Paramount. They would definitely be trying to sell the NSD to them too.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I heard it was South Melbourne and Melbourne Knights. Is this what you mean?
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

someguyjc - 3 Feb 2023 3:51 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 3:44 PM

I'd say it's probably more than a possibility, it's actually likely.
The FA already have the national stuff and the Australia cup with 10/Paramount. They would definitely be trying to sell the NSD to them too.

This would be great and surely having it all in one place is for the best.
I'm no Paramount defender but we all wanted a home of football for years so I'm desperately hoping 10/Paramount stick it out and improve.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 3:54 PM

I heard it was South Melbourne and Melbourne Knights. Is this what you mean?

How did you guess?
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 4:01 PM
Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 3:54 PM

How did you guess?

Remember that mate's uncle's brother's sister in law who married her son's friend in a scandal 3 years ago but has been forgiven and released on weekends who went to school with one of the club's receptionist who has a thing for one of the players but is also a guy I was telling you about?

From him
Davide82
Davide82
Legend

PS I don't think many people here will fall off their chairs and turn grey if all that's SHOCKING about it is the ethnic origins of two of the clubs aha

If it's two former NSL clubs that would be a massive story though for sure
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 4:08 PM
PS I don't think many people here will fall off their chairs and turn grey if all that's SHOCKING about it is the ethnic origins of two of the clubs aha

If it's two former NSL clubs that would be a massive story though for sure

I think its a load of bullhsit to be honest but all sort of shit is being thrown around today.... One thing I know for sure is that ALOT of successful, ex "old soccer" supporters are being contacted frantically about sponosrhsips and deals....
One thing is for sure.. Its time to "put up or shut up" This is the final chance for all these clubs (mine included of course) I hope that this goes ahead.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 4:06 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 4:01 PM

Remember that mate's uncle's brother's sister in law who married her son's friend in a scandal 3 years ago but has been forgiven and released on weekends who went to school with one of the club's receptionist who has a thing for one of the players but is also a guy I was telling you about?

From him

George??? No he is a known shit-talker dude... 

I wonder how all the "usual suspects" are taking today's news btw? Its a little quiet......
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

grazorblade - 3 Feb 2023 2:20 PM
• A new national tier of football between the A-League Men competition and the National Premier Leagues, with the opportunity for promotion and relegation to be considered once mature 
• A home and away league structure with finals, comprised of between 10 and 16 teams and featuring between 24 to 36 games
• Successful Respondents to the Application Process would be required to depart their existing football competitions for the National Second Tier
• National Second Tier Clubs will enter into a Club Participation Agreement setting out the terms of participation, including but not limited to the following requirements: 
• professional playing contracts for all players, with salaries paid 52 weeks of the year; 
• ‘off field’ operations run by employed staff throughout 12 months of the year; 
• investment in and operation of a full talent development pathway within their club structure; and
• access to a suitable high-quality match day facility 12 months of the year.
• Successful Respondents to the Application Process would be required to depart their existing football competitions for the National Second Tier - makes sense
• professional playing contracts for all players, with salaries paid 52 weeks of the year; - good
• ‘off field’ operations run by employed staff throughout 12 months of the year; - cant see this being a problem
• investment in and operation of a full talent development pathway within their club structure; and - yes, yes and yes.
• access to a suitable high-quality match day facility 12 months of the year. - this is the only thing I am wondering about..... Why? Is it to stop clubs applying who just have access during soccer season? Does MV and Melb City have access to AAMI park for 12 months a year??? Strange?

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 4:12 PM
Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 4:08 PM

I think its a load of bullhsit to be honest but all sort of shit is being thrown around today.... One thing I know for sure is that ALOT of successful, ex "old soccer" supporters are being contacted frantically about sponosrhsips and deals....
One thing is for sure.. Its time to "put up or shut up" This is the final chance for all these clubs (mine included of course) I hope that this goes ahead.

Agreed.
This is either the turning point for our sport or, if it doesn't get over the line,  a sign that we are doomed to mediocrity for a long time to come.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Davide82 - 3 Feb 2023 4:21 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 4:12 PM

Agreed.
This is either the turning point for our sport or, if it doesn't get over the line,  a sign that we are doomed to mediocrity for a long time to come.

As long as the very next announcement isn't "all grand finals to be played in Sydney" we should be good :) hahahahahahahaha
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Monoethnic Social Club - 3 Feb 2023 4:18 PM
grazorblade - 3 Feb 2023 2:20 PM
• access to a suitable high-quality match day facility 12 months of the year. - this is the only thing I am wondering about..... Why? Is it to stop clubs applying who just have access during soccer season? Does MV and Melb City have access to AAMI park for 12 months a year??? Strange?

MV/MC don't have exclusive access, but they do have long term agreements in place.
This is probably to account for the Australia Cup as well as the ACL (in the event we get more spots and there is a pathway for a NSD club to secure a spot).
The other reason for this criteria is probably the direct result of Western United. The FA don't want to be in that position again.
That being said, I don't think this will be a problem for any of the NPL clubs that end up being shortlisted.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search