The Official University/Education Thread

The Official University/Education Thread

Author
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Fredsta wrote:
433 wrote:
Fredsta wrote:
keepersball wrote:
433 wrote:
I'm doing pretty well in most of my subjects, but I barely pass English. Anyone else the same?

Edited by 433: 27/5/2013 11:40:08 PM

Myself and everyone bar a few at my school. We kill Math every year with a few state rankings, yet English chews into our ATARs. A boy two years ago got state rankings in Physics and Chemistry, yet because of a poor English mark, he only got 99.90 (Yes "only" :lol: He was set to get .95 otherwise)

I was the opposite, I did two English subjects in year 12 and scored in the top 3% of the state, but if you were to have put a year 7 Maths or Science test in front of me I'd only be able to write my name on it...and then I'd probably get bored and cover the paper with phallic art :lol:

I dropped Maths and Science in year 10 and took on a purely English/Humanities timetable, I actually enjoyed school after that.

Are you serious? :shock: I'm completely the opposite. I hate those subjects where there is no definitive answer and most of your work is bullshiting your way to top marks.

:lol: That was my entire year 12.

My punctuation skills are pretty average but I can write and I enjoy analyzing texts, so I chose subjects that were assessed entirely by essays and just coasted through school with pretty much no homework other than reading texts and memorizing quotes.

Yep! Bullshitting and essays anyway of the week! I did:

Advanced English
Drama
Modern History
Studies of Religion (2 units)
Economics
Business studies

Maths, science and Tech subjects can feck righttttt off :lol:

Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:

Advanced English
Drama
Modern History
Economics
Business studies

Well played!
For me it was:
English
English Literature
History
Politics
Media
*Bible Studies - which was not a VCE subject but we had to choose one RE elective as I went to a Catholic school.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Fredsta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Advanced English
Drama
Modern History
Economics
Business studies

Well played!
For me it was:
English
English Literature
History
Politics
Media
*Bible Studies - which was not a VCE subject but we had to choose one RE elective as I went to a Catholic school.

Niceeee

Yeah, my economics class could never understand how I did both that and drama :lol:
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

I'm the same, was slightly above average at maths and crap at science, but I topped the year for English.
keepersball
keepersball
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Fredsta wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:

Advanced English
Drama
Modern History
Economics
Business studies

Well played!
For me it was:
English
English Literature
History
Politics
Media

3u Math
Adv English
Economics
Legal

+ I finished Business Studies last year accelerated
keepersball
keepersball
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Benjo wrote:
I'm the same, was slightly above average at maths and crap at science, but I topped the year for English.

How I envy thee.
MVFCSouthEnder
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

English
Global Politics
Legal
Art
Italian

Maths and Science are really not my thing as you can see.
StreetzFC
StreetzFC
Rising Star
Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)Rising Star (946 reputation)

English Advanced
Mathematics
PDHPE
Biology
French Beginners
Studies of Religion 1 Unit

Dropped chemistry at the end of year 11.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Benjo wrote:

I don't get you people. Maths and Science are so much easier than English for me. :lol:
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

I don't get you people. Maths and Science are so much easier than English for me. :lol:

I'm generalising massively here, but are of East Asian heritage by any chance?
chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Maths Extension 1
Maths Extension 2
Physics
Chemistry
Engineering Studies
Advanced English

I don't think I would have finished school if I had to do some of the subject selections you lot have. Having to do one essay based subject was too much for me.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

Haha no, but I used to live over there and I go to a school full of Asian kids (all of whom feel the same way as me).

I guess it's a confidence thing. In Maths and Science I KNOW I have the correct answer, whereas in English it's more up to the teachers/assessors interpretation of what I have written.

Edited by 433: 28/5/2013 10:13:41 PM
jonzey
jonzey
Hacker
Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)Hacker (342 reputation)

Roar_Brisbane wrote:
Think I'll be swapping to part time uni for next semester. I just hate being swamped with four 2500+ word essays due within one week of each other. I also have to do at least 100 possibly 200 hours of work experience to graduate as well. :(

I started going part time in my Engineering Masters this year. My biggest regret is that I didn't do it earlier because I was swamped last semester and ended up failing two classes. If I had my time over I'd have started last year going part time.
MVFCSouthEnder
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

433 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

Haha no, but I used to live over there and I go to a school full of Asian kids (all of whom feel the same way as me).

I guess it's a confidence thing. In Maths and Science I KNOW I have the correct answer, whereas in English it's more up to the teachers/assessors interpretation of what I have written.

Not Melbourne High by any chance? :p
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

English
Maths B
Accounting
IT
Physics
Chemistry

Got an OP5 for any QLD fags that understand.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

World Class

Edited by 433: 28/5/2013 10:26:58 PM
World Class

MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

Getting close ;) Not Macrob by the way :lol:
MVFCSouthEnder
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro

433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

Has to be either Scotch or Xavier then? Or Wesley?
World Class

MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

None of that private school shit :lol:

Suzanne Cory High school

afromanGT
afromanGT
Legend
Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)Legend (77K reputation)

Quote:

Could be St Kevins.
MVFCSouthEnder
MVFCSouthEnder
Pro

433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
MVFCSouthEnder wrote:
433 wrote:
Eastern Glory wrote:
433 wrote:
Benjo wrote:

None of that private school shit :lol:

Suzanne Cory High school
Oh thank God :d :lol:
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
maths + ext
English
physics
pdhpe (scored a 96 yew)
modern history
engineering
KenGooner_GCU
KenGooner_GCU
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

paulbagzFC wrote:
English
Maths B
Accounting
IT
Physics
Chemistry

Got an OP5 for any QLD fags that understand.

-PB

OP is seriously the worst system of determining suitability for higher academics. I didn't do that great but I know people who got OPs of 1-3 and still dropped out within the first semester of law school. Fuck, at least half, maybe two thirds of the original cohort dropped out.

Hello

Shaker
Shaker
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Thinking back to high school i did:
English
Maths (Trade and Business which is basically remedial)
Modern History
Ancient History
Geography
Rec and Sport.

Much preferred the Social Sciences to normal science, my how thats changed. Didnt get an OP because i didnt care about High School. Regretted that late last year.
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
3/4 subjects I finished:

English
Media
Philosophy
Legal
IT
Vet Multimedia
History Revolutions
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Currently studying a diploma of building and construction at careers australia an rto that's aligned with swinburne . Building codes are a bitch
Benjo
Benjo
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Year 12
Maths 3A/B
Modern History
English
Japanese
Media Production and Analysis

Got an atar of 85.70, more than enough for my course.
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend

Have a mini exam tomorrow for the subject i like the most.

It sucks when you realise that if you're this under-prepared for your best subject, you're screwed for the rest.
Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

It's such a great feeling when you go into a final exam and have already passed that subject.\:d/
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Currently ~800 words into a 2,500 word assignment on honour related violence. I'm probably going to fail the unit. I really can't be fucked with this assignment. The units a cunt.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search