Dribbling compilation of great players ( and how to do the techniques)

Dribbling compilation of great players ( and how to do the techniques)...

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Decentric wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqPEpeokCg

Here is a youtube clip of the Brazilian Elastic, or Elastico.

Ronaldinho is performing it in match scenarios.

It is weird as to who can do it. A number of players I've coached, or players, who can hardly do any of what I find the easier easier evasion 1v1 techniques, can do this. They cannot necessarily execute it in match scenarios, but can individually with no player resistance. This is a move that New Signing and I find virtually impossible.

It is a brilliant evasion move. I have never seen one Australian professional player do it successfully on the pitch. It is a specific Brazilian move. A plethora of Brazilians can do it well in match scenarios, but I've seen few outside that county execute it successfully.

In the second post I've put up in this thread, Ronaldo is so good at it, he even nutmegs people with the second part of the move with the inside part of the foot .=d>

Edited by Decentric: 2/5/2015 09:40:06 AM

Saw the first Elastico performed in the HAL today.

Harry Novillo did an Elalastico close to the bi line against Sigmund or Manny Muscat, just before the goals in the second half.

He beat them all ends up, getting a good metre or two on the defender and put in an effective cross.=d>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqPEpeokCg

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 12:15:07 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

http://www.videojug.com/film/combination-ronaldinho-and-ronaldo-stepover

If one wants to see all three aforementioned techniques executed on the pitch in match scenarios, and the same combinations of the above, then I've seen just about every evasion 1v1 technique humanly possible in Cristiano Ronaldo's videos.=d>

Simply put, he uses all techniques that all the other contributors in this thread, Cruyff, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry, Messi and Denilson have done, all put together! It is like every technique that Brazilan Soccer Schools and Coerver impart to their players all put together. Sometime Cristiano does about 4 -10 tricks in succession.

What often happens though is he intimidates with all the brilliant footwork, then beats a player with a simple change of pace or shoulder feint. That is part form his Elastics, which he so good at, he can nutmeg his opponent as well.=d>

Thank goodness for this player. When young cocky males tell me they don't need to learn any evasion techniques, I citethem his videos.

They are too dumb to realise that Messi or Robben achieve much the same with a few techniques. :lol:

Any player trying to learn a lot of these techniques is going to become much more familiar with the ball.

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 04:52:16 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zToNoA3ND2E

Cristiano Ronaldo.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEsO_ysCt8s

More Cristiano Ronaldo.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 wrote:
The person I consider to be the best coach I've ever had told me that every player should have 3 different tricks in their arsenal, that they know very instictually and can execute them flawlessly. But not tricks as in to take a player one on one and nutmegs him, but rather to get a change of direction and free yourself from pressure for a brief time - similar to what EG is talking about above. And you need 3 because if you're cornered in somewhere and only use the 1, it will be predictable the next time. But 3 tricks, that each individual can choose on their own, to get a change of direction, should be imprinted in each players mind. How extravegent (sp) these tricks are is up to the individual player.

For that ability to change direction and get out of trouble, one trick, on both right and left side of the body, can also be very effective.

Very few Aussie players, even Socceroos , can do this on both sides of the body in match scenarios.

Carney is a good shoulder feinter on his left, but not right.

Neill and McKay both use the Standard Cut well on the right side, but not the opposite wing.

Kewell has a fabulous shoulder feint on the left side, but not as good on the right.

Dukes was very two footed, but didn't have the acceleration to get past players. Nevertheless, often his little shoulder feint, or Brazilian step over, reverse step over, gave him half a second of time, and a fraction of space to manage a shot at goal.

Kruse' right shoulder feint is his preferred option.

Oar loves the left shoulder feint.

Archie is very two footed and has an array of 1v1 moves. He can body swerve on right and left, Standard Cut on right and left, plus execute Bazilian and reverse stepovers on both sides.

However over time, he has lost a lot of his acceleration. Now he uses a move called La Croqueta more often, which is a move of a 45 degrees inside of the foot touch, followed by the opposite foot inside of the foot touch. Inexplicably, he has the confidence to try moves, even if they fail. Archie appears to have great self-belief.

Burns beat a German defender with a shoulder feint, then another with La Croqueta and forced a fingertip save. It would have been an incredible goal if he had converted.

Burns and Rogic are also quite two footed when it comes to evasion moves. ATM they are our best evasion exponents. If we had both of them on the pitch at the same time, along with Luongo, we would have better 1v1 Attacking skills talent than we usually put out. Burns and Rogic can also cause problems in tight spaces too.

Apart from Dukes and maybe Harry, none of the above, aside from Rogic and Burns, even have a kitbag of left and right shoulder feints/body swerves and left and right standard cuts good enough to execute in match conditions successfully.

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 05:18:15 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-otzeksAlo

This is La Croqueta that a number of players already viewed use. The guy's instruction is okay, but his skill level in execution is way below a professional footballer's.

My original video of Iniesta doing it superbly in a game, is slowly loading, but I should have another to add soon.

Burns and Archie do this well.=d>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBrFLGNvV7U

This is good, Iniesta does heaps of them in this video, not just one, like my original.

If we are going to get highly technical, Iniesta's weakness is that he always starts with his right foot, followed by his left.
He needs to perfect, the left followed by the right foot La Croqueta too. A top defender will exploit this after a while, jockeying him to receive and play on his weaker left side.

Maybe even Archie and Burns do it starting with both feet, even though nowhere near as good players as Iniesta is. This a brilliant move to use in tight spaces.

It has served a few players I've coached very well in futsal as well as outdoor. It is an effective move for players who are not blessed with great speed. The Brazilian Elastic is also an effective move for slower players too.

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 07:02:17 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVKgen5ZRBI&feature=related

This is the Standard Cut.

Many current and former players reading this will have used this, even if they don't realise they do it.

In every world class player's video we've observed in this thread I think all of them would have used the Standard Cuts in a sequence of techniques.

I had only one player in a feeder rep team to an underage state team who could do it beautifully.

I struggle to coach this technique.](*,)

With just about every other move, the footwork required, automatically pulls on e's body shape into the correct body position when executing the technique. This Cut is an exception. Even with all the complex moves, I can assume correct body shape to impart them to players observing them, who then take them seriously.

With this Standard Cut, I've never had a big enough mirror, or a video, to show me I have the current body shape when imparting this technique. I could look like a complete goose.#-o

Then when showing players, they can think the move is stupid, if the coach looks stupid doing it.#-o

According to the coach in the video, the Cut is the most common evasion move. However, I think from observing football, the shoulder feint/body swerve is.

In his specific instruction I feel, and I could be wrong because his players are showing the positive results of his coaching, his instruction is not right.

With the two girls in the video, the taller girl uses her arms well, and is better at the Cut than the shorter girl. To me both look better than the coach.

If one can do this technique, the Cut, little can go wrong, in executing it. It is more a question of timing and distancing relative to the proximity of one's opponent .

Some reading this all be gobsmacked I can confidently coach nearly all techniques seen by the best players in the world in the videos, confidently, apart from the Elastic, like New Signing, and this Standard Cut.

The secret, and this is a massive difference between the KNVB coach education I've done (I think KNVB are unequivocally correct) and FFA modern coaching, is that the KNVB advocate slowing everything down into component parts in technique acquisition.

I've had some big debates with some FFA coaches about this. The difference is that many staff FFA coaches, cannot do these techniques, or learn them, because they try and learn them utilising the FFA doctrine to make everything realistic in realistic game time.

Any PE teacher or martial artist, or sports coach, in any other sport, or music teachers, knows the secret behind mastery of technique, is to acquire complex techniques slowly, then increase speed gradually.

I'm not sure, but I'd surmise Brazilian Socceroo Schools and Coerver coaches do the same. The KNVB certainly do.

I'd also guess that many players who've done Coerver for an extended period, like Eastern Glory, would be able to learn most of these techniques quite quickly at slow speeds.

Edited by Decentric: 4/5/2015 07:03:54 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

quickflick wrote:
Decentric

I'll try to address some of the points/insight you have. I find it interesting to make sense of the notion that no senior Australian player (save Rogic and Burns) can do these more flashy things in match situations against defenders. It's also interesting (and very encouraging) if lots of the Australia U17s have most of these skills at their disposal. Also how important are they? I don't disagree with you that it's not really all that necessary for a player to do.

I was in Rome last year, backpacking. It was a summer night and I, along with a couple of other Aussie guys who were staying at the same hostel, had gone for a drink. A couple of English guys joined our group. One of the Aussie guys, who was probably interested in football but not that well-versed, was asking the English guy who he thought was the best footballer. I can't remember exactly how it went. But basically, the English guy probably explained that there were different types of footballers. I think he said that Cristiano Ronaldo is the most complete attacking footballer in the world (i.e. he has sublime touch, an outstanding shot, good on both feet, he has brilliant close control, all these remarkable 1 vs 1 skills, phenomenal speed and lovely vision). I agreed. I think I added that I thought Lionel Messi was the best natural footballer in the world today.

The Aussie guy then suggested something along the lines of Zlatan Ibrahimovic being the best footballer in the world. The English guy was appalled. Granted, Zlatan is amazing. I said to the Aussie guy. Zlatan is hands down the best in the world at doing overhead kicks from outside the penalty box and scoring. But often is that required in a match? The English guy then said that probably his favourite footballer ever was Paul Scholes. You rarely saw Scholes try to dribble around anybody. But his passing and positioning was so phenomenal that he opened up acres of space. He was just a very, very intelligent footballer.

So it's really a horses for courses kind of thing. I agree that doing Ronaldo-esque tricks is not always necessary. But I think they demonstrate outstanding levels of technique and ball control. If a student goes into a year eleven chemistry exam, but able to compete at the level of a year twelve, that's going to stand him in good stead.

What I found worrying in the past was that loads of Aussie kids were so appalling in 1 vs 1 situations. When I was in Paris in 2008/2009, I saw heaps of youngsters who not only had sublime touch (they'd kick the ball really high in the air and trap it perfectly), lots of them seemed to have these 1 vs 1 skills.

Good insights.

I think if a player can do the Standard Cut, in an instructional video a few posts back from this one, and the Body Swerve/shoulder feint ( wrongly called the Mathews Cut) in another aforementioned instructional video, and execute some sole of the foot dribbling, all with both feet and both sides of the body, it is all one needs at any level .

if these 3 techniques can be executed in match scenarios against opposition players in realistic game time, it is enough. Apart from Archie, Burns and Rogic, I cannot think of any other Aussie HAL player who has these three techniques and can has performed them successfully, beating defenders on both sides of the body in matches.

Harry Kewell could do all of them, except I've never seen him effectively body swerve on his right side, having a brilliant body swerve on his left side, possibly the best I've seen by any Aussie player.

When we play international games, heaps of players in the ACL, from China, Japan, and Korea, seem to have heaps of players who can do this. The same with a few Middle-eastern players too.

So much of our game relies on superior tactics, accurate passing and movement, effective attacking interplay and crosses to create goals.

Burns nearly pulled off a cracker against Germany, but this is the exception,not the norm. He beat two defenders in a row, inside the penalty box, with a body swerve to beat one and La Croqueta to beat the second, then forced the German keeper to make a fingertip save.=d>

Edited by Decentric: 5/5/2015 04:52:46 PM

Edited by Decentric: 5/5/2015 04:54:48 PM
spfc
spfc
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68vX7Hu_c-0

Lionel Messi.

The usual excellent balance, changes of pace, incredible acceleration, with superb control, like the ball is stuck to his feet.

Most of Messi, features fast ball carrying, or running with the ball, interspersed with judicious shoulder feints, mainly on his preferred left side.

Ronaldo uses so many more techniques than Messi, but the Argentinian is probably even better in 1v1 attacking evasion moves.

what stands out for me about lionel messi is his albilty to change direction so quickly with the ball at his feet. Combined with his natural ball skills when you look at messi's physique he has shorter leg length in proportion to his body height than most players, in particular he has very short tibia. This is an advantage for him in that he can change direction much more quickly than a longer legged backpedalling defender. So many times messi changes direction twice whilst a longer legged defender is still getting through one direction change. The effect is messi often has 3 or 4 totally confused and disoriented defenders around him. Watching messi as a junior he did exactly the same thing as he does now with virtually the same evasion moves. So I believe messi has been coached tactically which has made him even better, this is what I've heard top coaches say, they want players who know all the instinctive moves and techniques already, once the players show they have the ball skills the coach will teach them the rest tactically.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Eastern Glory wrote:
Decentric wrote:

The Cruyff turn, I found harder to do than stepovers.

There is a brilliant Brazilian Soccer Schools video for developing complex Brazilian stopovers and rolls.

What I've observed though, is that the only moves a player needs are what Cruyfff and Messi do, which are not flashy, apart from the Cruyff Turn.

As a current player do you have any views for the thread on here for players continuing to develop as seniors?

I've always considered the Cryuff turn to be super basic. Learned all those coever moves in under 10s and have always passed them on to teams I coach. I find they are excellent for allowing players to turn away from a defender and get their head up with the additional time and space.

With the Shoulder faint/body swerve, which the instructional video in this thread calls the Matthews Cut, and the other instructional videos on here demonstrating;

the Ronaldo /Ronaldinho combination move,

the Ronaldo,

La Croqueta,

the Cut and Double Cut,

which ones did you learn when you did Coerver in your development as a footballer?

What opportunity did your club/team coaches give players in terms of exercises, to develop these 1v1 attacking moves, against defenders as you progressed and aged as a player?

My theory is that a lot of Coerver has been:

*Coached in isolation, not against passive and active defenders.

*Not encouraged by team coaches in specific practice at training.

* If specific 1v1 exercises have been organised in team practices, the coach has provided no input into players developing specific evasion moves, because they don't know how to coach them. This even extends to NTC level. ](*,)

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

spfc wrote:

what stands out for me about lionel messi is his albilty to change direction so quickly with the ball at his feet. Combined with his natural ball skills when you look at messi's physique he has shorter leg length in proportion to his body height than most players, in particular he has very short tibia. This is an advantage for him in that he can change direction much more quickly than a longer legged backpedalling defender. So many times messi changes direction twice whilst a longer legged defender is still getting through one direction change. The effect is messi often has 3 or 4 totally confused and disoriented defenders around him. Watching messi as a junior he did exactly the same thing as he does now with virtually the same evasion moves.

Great observations.=d>

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 10:35:37 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Previously, PV4, mentioned a stop/start move he finds effective.

Stopping the ball with the sole of the foot whilst preciously ball carrying, then rolling the sole the foot backwards quickly, and pushing the ball forwards with the part of the foot just above the shoelaces again to resume the action.

Juric did this last night, with great effect, against Guangjhou.

He created metres of space between him and the confused defender. =d>

Juric seems to have a few nice 1v1 evasion moves in the kitbag, not quite remembering which ones he specifically uses, apart from this one in games.I think he has a few body swerves, Brazilian stepovers and reverse stepovers.

Clut has a nice shoulder feint on the right side, displayed in the ACL last night.

Borello displayed shoulder feints on both sides. Last night he beat defenders on both right and left in different actions, with a left shoulder feint, then later in the game a right shoulder feint.=d>

Broich constantly shoulder feints to hi sright cutting in from the left wing, using the top of his foot just above the shoelaces to ball carry, then interspersed with his right outside of the foot touching the ball, shoulder feinting.

However, like Cirio and BFK, they are too reliant on one side - the right. I'd expect more HAL defenders to be able to dispossess them, given their predictability.

Edited by Decentric: 6/5/2015 01:45:05 PM
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

A shame 3 of Robbens 4 moves are dives.

The Cruyff video is beautiful, and he did it in an age when footballs were glorified bricks. So many of his moves were timed for when the defender was either at full stretch or had his feet together which often resulted in the defender ending up on the ground. I loved Culina because he rarely left his feet when defending, especially when 1v1 with highly skilled players. Do you have any links to 1v1 defensive drills to help with lateral and backwards movement? (My sons weak point)
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Decentric wrote:

Stopping the ball with the sole of the foot whilst preciously ball carrying, then rolling the sole the foot backwards quickly, and pushing the ball forwards with the part of the foot just above the shoelaces again to resume the action.

I didn't get to watch Juric do it but it is such a useful move, that with practice is easy enough to execute. If you bring both feet into it, changing direction is quite easy to do too. It gives you such a wide amount of decisions available to do, and with the stop/start motion you're forcing the defender to make reactive decisions that throws them horrendously off course.

I'll think of ways to teach this technique to others. I find this quite an organic move, that is best done by just attempting it, but I wonder how you could make it a structured teaching drill for others..
Fredsta
Fredsta
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Decentric, I'm curious as to your thoughts on George Best's style.

Obviously looking at highlight video's you can see he's blessed with extraordinary balance and pace, but what I've recently found when going back to watch full match replays featuring Best is that his dribbling style is absolutely identical to Messi's. This isn't that apparent in highlight videos, but watching match footage Best regularly goes on mazy runs that are eerily similar to the way Leo moves with the ball, I thought the similarities were remarkable personally.

EDIT

I just found this video showcasing his dribbling
[youtube]ptEHgxirHsk[/youtube]

Edited by fredsta: 7/5/2015 02:36:20 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Fredsta wrote:

Obviously looking at highlight video's you can see he's blessed with extraordinary balance and pace, but what I've recently found when going back to watch full match replays featuring Best is that his dribbling style is absolutely identical to Messi's. This isn't that apparent in highlight videos, but watching match footage Best regularly goes on mazy runs that are eerily similar to the way Leo moves with the ball, I thought the similarities were remarkable personally.

EDIT

My NBN is a bit slow. i have only seen about half the video. One difference from Messi, as pointed out by SFC, is that Messi's shorter legs, make him appear to be moving very quickly, with lots of very short steps enabling sharp directional changes.

Best uses;

a right body swerve,

left and right foot cuts,

has tight, close ball control when moving slowly, takes big touches when ball carrying fast in open space, has great balance, keeps his head up, uses changes of pace, similar to Messi, Thierry Henri and Cruyff (apart from not using the Cruyff cut/turn).

Yes his techniques are similar to Messi's, but his stride is longer.

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 06:45:20 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Crusader wrote:
I loved Culina because he rarely left his feet when defending, especially when 1v1 with highly skilled players. Do you have any links to 1v1 defensive drills to help with lateral and backwards movement? (My sons weak point)

Yes.

I'm going to think of how I explain it on the internet as I don't have a video of the exercise.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Crusader wrote:
Do you have any links to 1v1 defensive drills to help with lateral and backwards movement? (My sons weak point)

Exercise 1

Try this.

9o

There is a line between two players about 3 - 4 metres apart.

9o denotes player with the ball.

9 denotes defender.

The player with the ball moves sideways on one side of the line using all sorts of ball carrying , evasion and feints for about 2 minutes.

The player without the ball note other side of the line, shadows, crouching, with the body side on in a decent jockeying stance. I will try to get a video for this to assist your son for jockeying body shape.

Every two minutes, or three minutes they change roles. This was in the Chelsea Academy exercises put up by Dirk Van Adidas on here , but it has been taken down from the internet.

It is not this exercise, but the next one, that is excellent for jockeying. This exercise assists the explanation.

Exercise 2

After players have done this for a while then get two players about 1- 2 metres apart.

Discard the line.

Then one dribbles and ball carries at the defender using many of the techniques on video in this thread - stepovers, shoulder feints, Brazilian rolls, etc.

The defender doesn't tackle, but practices moving backwards and sideways - jockeying, delaying , showing.

Do this all the way across the pitch, then players change roles once they reach the other side of the pitch . It is brilliant.

However, like you mention Culina was so good on his feet, which many don't recognise, the defender is passive in Exercise 2, never tackling , but always staying on his/her feet.

Also, the defender will need to change sides jockeying, sometimes left foot forwards, other times right foot forwards. It is brilliant for the ball carrier developing 1v1 attacking sequences, and the defender developing defensive techniques. It is also really hard physically, so players get really fit, plus they touch the ball a lot.

If you are young enough you can do this with your son yourself.

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 07:12:10 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZJ1CADebQ

At about 1 minute 26 seconds, this guy has decent defensive body shape for jockeying, but there is not enough on the finer points of it.

There is far too much talk from the coach and not enough demonstration.

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 07:34:31 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1S5sVxOTSA

The coach uses far too much instruction, rather than modelling it himself as an action, like all others in videos I've seen so far.

Basically, the instruction is not too bad for demonstrating effective body shape in a jockeying stance, except his players are not very good at it.

As a general rule he has far too many players watching the play for too long , and inactive. Once this Exercise 2 starts, from two posts ago, there is no break in play, unless a coach uses some interventions .

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 07:34:56 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Plese2FhlU

Some more Cruyff magic.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah8xBnjtYWw

Some of the footage is a bit blurred.

Maradona uses similar techniques to Cruyff - shoulder fonts, Matthews cut ( same foot inside and outside of the foot at circa 45 degrees with each foot), Zidane 360 degree turns ( although Zidane wasn't playing much when he played), as well as the usual changes of pace, acceleration, balance, keeping the head up, with one major difference to many of the others - strength .

Maradona doesn't seem to outpace his opponents like many of the other dribblers. Hence, he relies a lot more on strength. He constantly fends off players , pushing them. His balance when riding body on body contact is astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBAqGhqZq_M

In this second video, Diego probably has more space, displaying speed on more occasions than the first video. Again though his balance and ability to withstand physical attention is extraordinary.

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 12:12:07 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric wrote:
Fredsta wrote:

EDIT

My NBN is a bit slow. i have only seen about half the video. One difference from Messi, as pointed out by SFC, is that Messi's shorter legs, make him appear to be moving very quickly, with lots of very short steps enabling sharp directional changes.

Best uses;

a right body swerve,

left and right foot cuts,

has tight, close ball control when moving slowly, takes big touches when ball carrying fast in open space, has great balance, keeps his head up, uses changes of pace, similar to Messi, Thierry Henri and Cruyff (apart from not using the Cruyff cut/turn).

Yes his techniques are similar to Messi's, but his stride is longer.

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 06:45:20 PM

Just saw the whole video.

I'm delighted you put it up.

I missed a lot of English football in that era as I moved to Australia from England in 1966. All my English relatives raved about Best. I've hardly seen any footage of him.

Best is a phenomenal player in the video. He often just uses a quick, easy inside of the foot cut, that is just too quick for the defenders who mistime the tackle at the last moment.

He also uses the sole of the foot to great effect, where he can move the ball deftly forwards, backwards and to both sides.

Not quite in the Maradona class to withstand pushing and physical pressure, Best has excellent balance under defensive pressure.

Glad to see that era of shocking pitches has disappeared!

Thanks for putting the George Best video up, Fredsta.:)

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 10:16:00 AM

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 10:45:28 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCZH1eYr9A

At last, I have a good demonstration for the Matthews Cut, based on the great English player's signature move.

The foot touches the ball with the inside of the foot, then the outside of the same foot. The original touch inside of the foot touch should wrong foot one's opponent.

Some players seem to prefer this , and find it easier than the body swerve/shoulder feint. Thierry Henry and Fernando Torrees like it, as does George Best.

Many players in Asian opposition do this better than us.

As an exercise one can repeat this move over and over- inside of the foot, outside of the foot, inside, outside, inside, outside, forever moving forwards, touching the ball at about 45 degrees with each touch.

Then do it with the non-preferred foot.

This is a key technical move for 1v1 evasion.

This coach in the video demonstrates, instead of talk too much, like many of the defensive skill coaches in videos.

I'd also assume that many players viewing this can do this pretty well.

Edited by Decentric: 8/5/2015 10:33:27 AM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 wrote:
Decentric wrote:

I didn't get to watch Juric do it but it is such a useful move, that with practice is easy enough to execute. If you bring both feet into it, changing direction is quite easy to do too. It gives you such a wide amount of decisions available to do, and with the stop/start motion you're forcing the defender to make reactive decisions that throws them horrendously off course.

I'll think of ways to teach this technique to others. I find this quite an organic move, that is best done by just attempting it, but I wonder how you could make it a structured teaching drill for others..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlzcqr8Hyo

In this video, is this what you mean?

This is often instructed, but after the ball is pulled back by the sole of the foot in the aforementioned video, instead of the inside of the foot as used in the video, the ball is propelled forwards with the shoelace part of the foot.

This coach, Johnson, has good explanation of techniques.=d>
SydneyCroatia
SydneyCroatia
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Does most of this really need to be 'coached' these days? Has Australian football dropped off that much?

Go down to your local park this weekend and report back... id be surprised if most of the moves discussed arent completed a few times
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Decentric wrote:
pv4 wrote:
Decentric wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlzcqr8Hyo

In this video, is this what you mean?

This is often instructed, but after the ball is pulled back by the sole of the foot in the aforementioned video, instead of the inside of the foot as used in the video, the ball is propelled forwards with the shoelace part of the foot.

This coach, Johnson, has good explanation of techniques.=d>

Yep, this kind of move. In so many contexts it is brilliant. And mastering the technique forces you to get so much better ball control in every aspect of the game.

It's also really handy to do if you're running the ball and have a defender running alongside you, and is when I use it most. Because the motion of pull/push gives you miles of room as the defender reacts to it.

I find I use my laces or outside of my boot for the push more than the inside of my boot. But that's because I dribble with the outside of my foot, as I've been taught for ages now. It gives you so much more control of the ball.
Crusader
Crusader
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️
⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)⚽️ R.I.P. ⚽️ (5.9K reputation)

Decentric wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Do you have any links to 1v1 defensive drills to help with lateral and backwards movement? (My sons weak point)

Exercise 1

Try this.

9o

There is a line between two players about 3 - 4 metres apart.

9o denotes player with the ball.

9 denotes defender.

The player with the ball moves sideways on one side of the line using all sorts of ball carrying , evasion and feints for about 2 minutes.

The player without the ball note other side of the line, shadows, crouching, with the body side on in a decent jockeying stance. I will try to get a video for this to assist your son for jockeying body shape.

Every two minutes, or three minutes they change roles. This was in the Chelsea Academy exercises put up by Dirk Van Adidas on here , but it has been taken down from the internet.

It is not this exercise, but the next one, that is excellent for jockeying. This exercise assists the explanation.

Exercise 2

After players have done this for a while then get two players about 1- 2 metres apart.

Discard the line.

Then one dribbles and ball carries at the defender using many of the techniques on video in this thread - stepovers, shoulder feints, Brazilian rolls, etc.

The defender doesn't tackle, but practices moving backwards and sideways - jockeying, delaying , showing.

Do this all the way across the pitch, then players change roles once they reach the other side of the pitch . It is brilliant.

However, like you mention Culina was so good on his feet, which many don't recognise, the defender is passive in Exercise 2, never tackling , but always staying on his/her feet.

Also, the defender will need to change sides jockeying, sometimes left foot forwards, other times right foot forwards. It is brilliant for the ball carrier developing 1v1 attacking sequences, and the defender developing defensive techniques. It is also really hard physically, so players get really fit, plus they touch the ball a lot.

If you are young enough you can do this with your son yourself.

Edited by Decentric: 7/5/2015 07:12:10 PM

Thanks so much for all of that, really helpful stuff and thankfully I am still young enough to keep up with him. So much work to do.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

SydneyCroatia wrote:
Does most of this really need to be 'coached' these days? Has Australian football dropped off that much?

Go down to your local park this weekend and report back... id be surprised if most of the moves discussed arent completed a few times

Given FIFA Technical Departments have always identified Australoan players of the past, particularly in your beloved halcyon era of when we qualified for no World Cups in 32 years, as being defiicient in 1v1 Attacking evasion skills, yes we need to improve immeasurably.

If you get a chance to look at a video of the Australan under 16s, playing Japan, recently, you will note that those players have better 1v1 attacking skills than any previous era.

It is no good just learning random stuff in the park. I've coached many refugees and migrants. They are nearly always far too one footed and one sided. There is a sequence of 1v1 skills that are easier to acquire and easier to execute under match pressure.

Coaches need to impart the importance of developing technique on both sides of the body. Far too many HAL players are too one sided. I will add five techniques to this post, by video, that most Australian players, including Socceroos, don't execute on both sides of the body in realistic match scenarios.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2360374_do-matthews-turn-soccer.html

This is not the Matthews Cut, but the shoulder feint or body swerve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCZH1eYr9A

The Matthews Cut or inside/outside of the foot dribbling with the same foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVKgen5ZRBI&feature=related

This is the Standard Cut.

*If we add sole of the foot dribbling , with both feet, where a player can roll his/her foot over the ball, moving backwards and forwards, and sideways left and right, then these four techniques combined together are pretty simple and easy to acquire.

I haven't added any of the more complex Brazilian stepovers, reverse stepovers, elastics, either.

If one combines,

the shoulder feint,

the Matthews Cut,

the Standard Cut,

in the aforementioned videos,

and the sole of the foot dribbling,

it is a comprehensive skill set.

Yet I cannot think of one other Australian player, who has all these tools, apart from Rogic, Kewell and Archie, who has been able to apply all of them successfully in match scenarios.

So yes, they need to be coached and then practised in 1v1 scenarios within specific team training. The FFA Skills Acquisition Program is doing this for 25% of the time at training for 5 years between the ages of 9-13.=d>

Edited by Decentric: 10/5/2015 11:54:37 PM
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFBMUe3wqSc

Here is Arne Robben.

Alf Galustian claims him as a Coerver graduate.

Interesting because Robben, apart from the usual superb balance, changes of pace, dribbling and ball carrying with the head up , fast ball carrying, close control in tight spaces, alternating between big touches in open space ball carrying and small ones in tight spaces, uses simple techniques unlike many of the Coerver ones.

Robben uses:

* Shoulder feints.

* He uses Matthew Cuts, probably dribbling a lot with his dominant foot.

* Standard cuts.

* La Croqueta.

Edited by Decentric: 10/5/2015 11:52:19 PM
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search