The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
:) Dubbo FTW
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Have to admit that new stand they built at Shark Park would be awesome with some active support it.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

West Adelaide $15
South Melbourne $26

Wtf?
GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Lokomotiv Lithgow
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

what if ffa announces 11th and 12th franchises at the same time.

surely if we now know that 18/19 is when two new clubs will come in, then the potential venues are cronulla, campbelltown, north hobart, wollongong, lakeside, geelong

would rule out south east melbourne, 2nd brisbane
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

williamn - 6 Dec 2016 9:45 PM
what if ffa announces 11th and 12th franchises at the same time.surely if we now know that 18/19 is when two new clubs will come in, then the potential venues are cronulla, campbelltown, north hobart, wollongong, lakeside, geelongwould rule out south east melbourne, 2nd brisbane

IMO south east would be stupid. There is no unique identity whatsoever. Unless you are promoting existing clubs and new franchise would be nothing short of a complete and utter disaster. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

A team solely playing in Woolongong would fail because they have no investor/s.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Someone(sorry can't remember who) asked me last week, after I posted my Sutherland FC(Sharks RL owned) kits and crest for my interpretation on a South Sydney team. I wasnt sure if they wanted me to do solely a St.George styled kit/crest or the rumoured St.George/Sutherland merger.
What I have come up with is my interpretation of what I would like to see if the rumoured St.George/Sutherland style South Sydney came about.

So below is my interpretations. The crest isnt to dissimilar(pretty much a replica) than the previous Sutherland one I made. I really liked that crest and its a theme I think the South Sydney bid should take no matter who controls it. The ship represents the Endeavour Field(Shark Park(named after Captain Cooks ship)) there is also the Saint Georges Cross and a SSFC monogram(been playing around with these abit lately so thought I would throw one in).

The colourways(Heart tragics look away) is Red/white and a light shade of blue(red with a shade of blue thats too light look gross so I avoided the traditional Sutherland blue).
I have always had an attraction with Atletico Madrids kits so I tried to base the home kits off of that as I would love to see it in the HAL.

Would appreciate feedback.

*Also want to throw in that if I was to do a solely South Sydney/St.George theme this would be pretty much it but replacing the blue with black.

Crest:
free photo hosting
Home Kit:
print screen windows
Away/Clash Kit:
free picture upload

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

scott21 - 6 Dec 2016 9:55 PM
A team solely playing in Woolongong would fail because they have no investor/s.

Bullshit. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Who is the investor?
williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

bigpoppa - 6 Dec 2016 10:03 PM
Someone(sorry can't remember who) asked me last week, after I posted my Sutherland FC(Sharks RL owned) kits and crest for my interpretation on a South Sydney team. I wasnt sure if they wanted me to do solely a St.George styled kit/crest or the rumoured St.George/Sutherland merger.
What I have come up with is my interpretation of what I would like to see if the rumoured St.George/Sutherland style South Sydney came about.

So below is my interpretations. The crest isnt to dissimilar(pretty much a replica) than the previous Sutherland one I made. I really liked that crest and its a theme I think the South Sydney bid should take no matter who controls it. The ship represents the Endeavour Field(Shark Park(named after Captain Cooks ship)) there is also the Saint Georges Cross and a SSFC monogram(been playing around with these abit lately so thought I would throw one in).

The colourways(Heart tragics look away) is Red/white and a light shade of blue(red with a shade of blue thats too light look gross so I avoided the traditional Sutherland blue).
I have always had an attraction with Atletico Madrids kits so I tried to base the home kits off of that as I would love to see it in the HAL.

*Also want to throw in that if I was to do a solely South Sydney/St.George theme this would be pretty much it but replacing the blue with black.

Crest:
free photo hosting
Home Kit:
print screen windows
Away/Clash Kit:
free picture upload

would be the perfect compromise to suit st george and shire into one club. only downside is that it looks like a remnant of the melbourne city/melbourne heart fiasco.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

FFA asking broadcasters to submit their broadcast bid based on a 10 team and 12 team comp. The two extra teams will be a joint decision by the FFA and broadcasters. 

I'm starting to think no matter how strong other bids are FFA probably know where those next two teams will be. The ratings thread shows Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are clear leaders. I get the feeling that South Sydney and second Brisbane are front runners and it's well known the FFA favours those regions. A third Victorian club would have to be up there as well, South Melbourne or Geelong the strongest bids.

I reckon though if the broadcasters wanted to increase viewership (especially Foxtel) putting a team into Tassie would be a good way to open up a new market.

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

@azza

I honestly do believe people underestimate the attention a Tasmanian team will draw within Tasmania.
I believe it would get average crowds of 8-10,000 with membership numbers around 7-8000 but not only that it will catch the attention of in my opinion majority of Tasmanians. Interest in football from local levels, the HAL all the way through to the national team will grow tenfold in my opinion here in Tassie. It's shown in the interest this bid has garnered locally from not just football people either. They all might not become rusted on supporters but it'll draw their attention.

I can't imagine how many people are out there like me that has an interest in the HAL and watches games when I can but don't have a team to follow. In an instant I'd be a member, get Foxtel and become a100% supporter of the HAL not just someone with an interest.
NG21
NG21
Under 7s
Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)

Crest:
free photo hosting
Home Kit:
print screen windows
Away/Clash Kit:
free picture upload

It was me who asked you. These look really good! I completely agree if it were just a St. George team to trade the blue for black. Would transform it into a more Athletic Bilbao style rather than Atletico Madrid. However with striped jerseys I would always rather the stripes continue on the back of the shirt as well or at least around the number and name.

Awesome design, great work!

chillbilly
chillbilly
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

williamn - 6 Dec 2016 10:48 PM

would be the perfect compromise to suit st george and shire into one club. only downside is that it looks like a remnant of the melbourne city/melbourne heart fiasco.

I would like to see red, white and blue all used in the stripe pattern. Similar to what Southern Districts Rebels use, the only other combine Sutherland/St George merger that I can think of, who use hoops.

Image result for southern districts rebels jersey

wolfen
wolfen
Weekender
Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)Weekender (31 reputation)

Establish a second team in Newcastle with players that can complete simple passes then fold the Jets.

And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

wolfen - 7 Dec 2016 11:14 AM
Establish a second team in Newcastle with players that can complete simple passes then fold the Jets.

:D

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

williamn
williamn
World Class

would be brilliant if the a-league could follow the mls in planning well in advanced. surely the ffa know where they want their teams for the future for once the a-league does reach 18 teams.

the expansion plan should be something like this, name the next 2 clubs, however give out provisional licenses for the quality bidders who arent successful for immediate expansion but incentivise them that their entry is pending on having a suitable stadium built or redeveloped.

2 new teams for 2018/19 because they are ready to start.
11. sydney athletic (cronulla stadium)
12. geelong (given kardinia has received their upgrade and has better sight lines than most oval shaped stadiums)

then name the next 3 areas with provisional licenses because they suit the criteria but lack a stadium. if they get a rectangular stadium built then they are immediately brought in, similar to minnesota, atlanta, los angeles and miami in the mls who have all been approved as mls expansion destinations but had to wait their entry based on their stadium timeframes.

- Brisbane Strikers (requires 16,000 perry park for entry)
- Hobart Cascades (requires north hobart redevelopment into rectangle)
- Melbourne Rangers ( wearing dark blue shirts/white shorts/ dark red socks based in the south-east suburbs, needing the 22,000 seat stadium at dandenong showgrounds to be built).

then of those 3 with the provisional licenses, as soon as they are ready, they are brought in, regardless of order.
Edited
8 Years Ago by williamn
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

NG21 - 7 Dec 2016 10:24 AM

It was me who asked you. These look really good! I completely agree if it were just a St. George team to trade the blue for black. Would transform it into a more Athletic Bilbao style rather than Atletico Madrid. However with striped jerseys I would always rather the stripes continue on the back of the shirt as well or at least around the number and name.

Awesome design, great work!

My mind goes straight to the cross. 

I would go for this if it was a St George team only. I even think MC could use it next season as an away kit when they switch to sky blue. 
World Class

scott21 - 7 Dec 2016 2:35 PM

I would go for this if it was a St George team only. I even think MC could use it next season as an away kit when they switch to sky blue. 

NCIP says Hmmmmmmmm

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
8 Years Ago by View from the fence
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

View from the fence - 7 Dec 2016 2:54 PM

NCIP says Hmmmmmmmm

Saint George (GreekΓεώργιος GeṓrgiosLatinGeorgiusAD 275–281 to 23 April 303), according to legend, was a Roman soldierof Greek origin and officer in the Guard of Roman emperor Diocletian, who ordered his death for failing to recant his Christian faith. 

The old Greek chestnut

Edited
8 Years Ago by scott21
NG21
NG21
Under 7s
Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)Under 7s (20 reputation)

Spot on with this! would be good to throw a little black into that. Maybe even just reverse the colors it for the away strip?

I know its completely unrelated to the St. George / South Sydney area, but if they wanted to try and avoid any existing teams kit colors I wouldn't mind seeing a black and gold theme.. or all white?

These are some of the styles i think would suit a Southern Sydney / St George team.

Image result for athletic bilbao kitImage result for athletic bilbao kit
Image result for sevilla fc kit 16/17Image result for sevilla fc kit 16/17

Image result for red and blue kits
Not sure who this last team is but it looks good with black detailing. This would be ideal for a joint Sutherland/St George team being red and blue.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

bigpoppa - 7 Dec 2016 10:15 AM
@azzaI honestly do believe people underestimate the attention a Tasmanian team will draw within Tasmania. I believe it would get average crowds of 8-10,000 with membership numbers around 7-8000 but not only that it will catch the attention of in my opinion majority of Tasmanians. Interest in football from local levels, the HAL all the way through to the national team will grow tenfold in my opinion here in Tassie. It's shown in the interest this bid has garnered locally from not just football people either. They all might not become rusted on supporters but it'll draw their attention. I can't imagine how many people are out there like me that has an interest in the HAL and watches games when I can but don't have a team to follow. In an instant I'd be a member, get Foxtel and become a100% supporter of the HAL not just someone with an interest.

yep well said, my thoughts exactly.
sasha
sasha
Rising Star
Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)Rising Star (958 reputation)

scott21 - 6 Dec 2016 10:19 PM
Who is the investor?

there is plenty of wealthy businessmen who are ready to go but i am not going to mention names on a public forum
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

But it is all cloak and dagger stuff.

The mentality "give us a team and we will support it" is wrong, as is the "give us a team now or we don't want one".

Woolongongs problem is its tv zone. I don't think a shire-Illawarra team means the end to a Wolves or Woolongong team but if people are interested it seems like the wrong tactic is to sit back and not let the public know.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

scott21 - 7 Dec 2016 9:21 PM
But it is all cloak and dagger stuff.The mentality "give us a team and we will support it" is wrong, as is the "give us a team now or we don't want one".Woolongongs problem is its tv zone. I don't think a shire-Illawarra team means the end to a Wolves or Woolongong team but if people are interested it seems like the wrong tactic is to sit back and not let the public know.

So much of the pro Tasmanian argument mirrors what was said about the Mariners when the league started. That it was a region without any representation in a national league, that they would be rewarded for their initiative, that there was tremendous reward in being first, and everyone would follow them. Didn't happen.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

bohemia - 7 Dec 2016 9:50 PM

So much of the pro Tasmanian argument mirrors what was said about the Mariners when the league started. That it was a region without any representation in a national league, that they would be rewarded for their initiative, that there was tremendous reward in being first, and everyone would follow them. Didn't happen.

You're talking about a coastal region within a state as opposed to a whole state which isn't represented having their own team.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

azzaMVFC - 8 Dec 2016 9:24 AM

You're talking about a coastal region within a state as opposed to a whole state which isn't represented having their own team.

The old broad based argument. Here I was thinking that was gone. 

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Except if people in Gosford ever wanted to watch a professional sport, they have multiple options in Sydney and even Newcastle that is accessible to them.

Both Hobart and Launceston only have that opportunity about 8 & 4 times a year.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Two completely demographics.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search