The A-league Expansion Thread

The A-league Expansion Thread

Author
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
stryker - 27 Jan 2017 6:57 PM
HortoMagiko - 27 Jan 2017 9:50 AM

You really dont have a clue when it comes to finance in football Do you?
 Russians Chinese  Americans get involved with football because they see 
a dollar in it.

THEY SEE IT AS AN INVESTMENT ! 
THEY DONT DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME

I wouldnt expect your immature mind to understand this!

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

stryker - 27 Jan 2017 7:06 PM

a dollar in it.

What is your point?

stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

a dollar in it.

My point is that they are not just owners with deep pockets They are shareholders.

Man UTD are listed on the New York stock exchange with thousands of shareholders.

Abramovich bought out Ken Bates to take over at Chelsea.

Stan Kroenke has the major shareholding in Arsenal followed by Russian  Alisher Usmanov,

Harry Stamoulis sold his shares in Melbourne Victory 3 years ago and made a profit of 8 million.

Muppets like Hortomagiko is trying to tell me they are owners. No they are more than that.
They are shareholders  , investors ,
 I like to call them a sugar daddy.  
99 percent of clubs in Europe have them.

stryker
stryker
Amateur

TheSelectFew - 27 Jan 2017 7:08 PM

What is your point?

It was you that called me out when I compared HAL owners with owners of European clubs.

They all have the same purpose whether it is Europe of HAL. Money!
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

stryker - 28 Jan 2017 10:32 PM

It was you that called me out when I compared HAL owners with owners of European clubs.

Many want success. 

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

People don't get into owning a football club as an investment, fmd 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
433 - 29 Jan 2017 7:13 PM

People don't get into owning a football club as an investment, fmd 

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend

paladisious - 29 Jan 2017 7:34 PM
433 - 29 Jan 2017 7:13 PM

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Just seen the MLS schedule for this season. They have 2 conferences of 11 teams and are playing an unbalanced 34 rounds (playing their 10 conference opponents twice and all 11 clubs in the opposite conference once. The remaining three matches on each team's schedule will come against conference foes, except the 2 new teams will play each other 3 times even though they're in different conferences).
If we expand to 12 teams and keep a stupid finals system we could also do a 2 conference system. West- (Glory, Adelaide, 2 Melbs, 2 new-say South Melb and Canberra) East- (4NSW, Bris, Wel). Play everyone in your conference 3x (15 matches) and everyone in the other 2x (12 matches). it would save a bundle on travel costs and limit the long distance travel that teams have to make by significant amount.
The advantages are that it gives a 27 round season (as currently), but with 6 games per round. Then play finals top 3 in each conference, (3v2, winner plays 1 for conference championship), conference champion to qualify for grand final, with venue decided by best regular season record. It's not great, but until we can get to a regular balanced season where everyone plays each other 2x (1 home and 1 away) and first past the post champion with no finals, then this system is no worse than the current one, and gives benefits of less travel costs.
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Leave conferences for the Americans.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

pippinu - 31 Jan 2017 12:04 PM
Leave conferences for the Americans.

Nah,

Get to have lots more Derbies 

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

bitza
bitza
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 31 Jan 2017 11:18 AM
Just seen the MLS schedule for this season. They have 2 conferences of 11 teams and are playing an unbalanced 34 rounds (playing their 10 conference opponents twice and all 11 clubs in the opposite conference once. The remaining three matches on each team's schedule will come against conference foes, except the 2 new teams will play each other 3 times even though they're in different conferences).
If we expand to 12 teams and keep a stupid finals system we could also do a 2 conference system. West- (Glory, Adelaide, 2 Melbs, 2 new-say South Melb and Canberra) East- (4NSW, Bris, Wel). Play everyone in your conference 3x (15 matches) and everyone in the other 2x (12 matches). it would save a bundle on travel costs and limit the long distance travel that teams have to make by significant amount.
The advantages are that it gives a 27 round season (as currently), but with 6 games per round. Then play finals top 3 in each conference, (3v2, winner plays 1 for conference championship), conference champion to qualify for grand final, with venue decided by best regular season record. It's not great, but until we can get to a regular balanced season where everyone plays each other 2x (1 home and 1 away) and first past the post champion with no finals, then this system is no worse than the current one, and gives benefits of less travel costs.

I like your idea (think I have posted something similar) but would prefer a championship round like they do in Belgium.

Maybe top 3 teams in each league play each other h/a (aggregating their precious scores together) for 10 more games and have a league format to determine to winner.

Something like that.
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

After abit of GENUINE input, at the moment I'm mucking around making a crest and kit for a Geelong franchise and I'm stuck on a name.

Obviously 'Victoria Patriots' is bloody awful and Geelong Football Club is taken as is Geelong Rangers(what I originally wanted to go with). I was going to look at something like Sporting Geelong, Inter Geelong, Geelong Rovers, Geelong Athletic but all seemed to fake/tryhard as names like Athletic and Sporting are clubs that have evolved from genuine Athletic and Sports clubs and there isn't much history in that regard. 

Geelong AFC or AFC Geelong could work but is it too similar to Geelong FC(AFL)?

Also thought of something like Geelong 1851- the year Victoria was colonised and helps with the whole 'patriotic' theme they want to go with or Geelong 1910 -the year Geelong became a city, could also work.

Genuine input would be appreciated.
Edited
7 Years Ago by bigpoppa
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

It's a typo.

Should be Geelong Parrots

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

View from the fence - 31 Jan 2017 4:47 PM
It's a typo.

Should be Geelong Parrots

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

bigpoppa - 31 Jan 2017 4:35 PM
After abit of GENUINE input, at the moment I'm mucking around making a crest and kit for a Geelong franchise and I'm stuck on a name.

Obviously 'Victoria Patriots' is bloody awful and Geelong Football Club is taken as is Geelong Rangers(what I originally wanted to go with). I was going to look at something like Sporting Geelong, Inter Geelong, Geelong Rovers, Geelong Athletic but all seemed to fake/tryhard as names like Athletic and Sporting are clubs that have evolved from genuine Athletic and Sports clubs and there isn't much history in that regard. 

Geelong AFC or AFC Geelong could work but is it too similar to Geelong FC(AFL)?

Also thought of something like Geelong 1851- the year Victoria was colonised and helps with the whole 'patriotic' theme they want to go with or Geelong 1910 -the year Geelong became a city, could also work.

Genuine input would be appreciated.

Barwon FC- Kit of Black and white hoops like XV de Piracicaba. Benefits of having hoops like local AFL team. maybe generate some immediate support from multi-sports followers. Or Geelong panthers for the same reason, and there is a local legend re panther sightings.
Sporting Club Geelong, Geelong Sporting Club, Sporting Geelong- Green and White hoops (Celtic) or navy and light blue (Sporting Kansas) Benefits of the word "Sporting" are that it can be used for future entertainment venues to raise revenue, or for 'multi-sports' e.g. if they branch into futsal, or darts and pool at the club for fat middle aged men like me!

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

Geelong Parrots 40151 to keep the SJWs onside
SoccerLogic
SoccerLogic
Amateur
Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)Amateur (702 reputation)

Public real actual Bids:

South Melbourne
Geelong
Tasmania

Likely working in the background but not presented publicly:

Woolongong
South Coast
Sutherland
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane Strikers

Maybe thinking about it:

Canberra
Western Pride
Adelaide City
West Adelaide
Perth 2

Fuck off. Not happening. This is not happening. There are no backers:

South East Melbourne

williamn
williamn
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

Once again, the MLS shining when it comes to expansion.

They've made it clear they wanted 28 teams by 2020. They are 4 short of that total and hence have the expansion criteria put in place (with applications now closed) and now it is up to 12 bids to be brought to 4, with most of these bids being USL or NASL clubs looking for promotion. Competition for spots has led to every single one of these bids promising to build soccer specific stadiums.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/expansion/2017/expansion-cities-bids?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

my bets are:
west: sacramento republic, san antonio fc
east: fc cincinnati, st louis 
Edited
7 Years Ago by williamn
stryker
stryker
Amateur

williamn - 1 Feb 2017 10:54 AM
Once again, the MLS shining when it comes to expansion.

They've made it clear they wanted 28 teams by 2020. They are 4 short of that total and hence have the expansion criteria put in place (with applications now closed) and now it is up to 12 bids to be brought to 4, with most of these bids being USL or NASL clubs looking for promotion. Competition for spots has led to every single one of these bids promising to build soccer specific stadiums.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/expansion/2017/expansion-cities-bids?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

my bets are:
west: sacramento republic, san antonio fc
east: fc cincinnati, st louis 

Even if they dont have the stadium built and ready they do play out of NFL stadiums for the first couple of years. eg Orlando Atlanta

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

SoccerLogic - 1 Feb 2017 10:45 AM
Public real actual Bids:

South Melbourne
Geelong
Tasmania

Likely working in the background but not presented publicly:

Woolongong
South Coast
Sutherland
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane Strikers

Maybe thinking about it:

Canberra
Western Pride
Adelaide City
West Adelaide
Perth 2

Fuck off. Not happening. This is not happening. There are no backers:

South East Melbourne

Canberra goes in the FONH list. Nobody has sounded out a bid and the person who steered the last bid said no never again.

SE Melbourne has backing of 3 councils and some sort of idea for a stadium ad training centre location. They at least get to the maybe thinking about it list. Certainly above Canberra which I repeat has made no suggestion whatsoever of bidding.
HortoMagiko
HortoMagiko
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
stryker - 28 Jan 2017 10:05 PM

My point is that they are not just owners with deep pockets They are shareholders.

Man UTD are listed on the New York stock exchange with thousands of shareholders.

Abramovich bought out Ken Bates to take over at Chelsea.

Stan Kroenke has the major shareholding in Arsenal followed by Russian  Alisher Usmanov,

Harry Stamoulis sold his shares in Melbourne Victory 3 years ago and made a profit of 8 million.

Muppets like Hortomagiko is trying to tell me they are owners. No they are more than that.
They are shareholders  , investors ,
 I like to call them a sugar daddy.  
99 percent of clubs in Europe have them.

Muppets like you are trying to say that we have the same model as europe.

And now youre playing a dumb game of semantics. Which pronoun should i refer to them with?

"I like to call them sugar daddy"

I rest my case your honor.

Is Wellington diverse?  Dont know, however this is a club that has no historical or existing link to a specific migrant group - Rusty Einstein

The negative stereotypes are perpetuated by people who either have no idea or are serving a vested interest; neither viewpoint should get anywhere near running Australian football -
Ange Postecoglou

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bohemia - 1 Feb 2017 9:04 PM
SoccerLogic - 1 Feb 2017 10:45 AM

Canberra goes in the FONH list. Nobody has sounded out a bid and the person who steered the last bid said no never again.

SE Melbourne has backing of 3 councils and some sort of idea for a stadium ad training centre location. They at least get to the maybe thinking about it list. Certainly above Canberra which I repeat has made no suggestion whatsoever of bidding.

Such a shame about Canberra - there is some definite talent in the region (Rogic, Valeri and Geria are three current footballers that come to mind from Canberra, I'm sure there are more) and it's always nice to have the nation's capital represented. Clearly the local business and government community however is jaded and doesn't want to support it anymore which is a crying shame. Their loss.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 31 Jan 2017 10:20 PM
bigpoppa - 31 Jan 2017 4:35 PM

Barwon FC- Kit of Black and white hoops like XV de Piracicaba. Benefits of having hoops like local AFL team. maybe generate some immediate support from multi-sports followers. Or Geelong panthers for the same reason, and there is a local legend re panther sightings.
Sporting Club Geelong, Geelong Sporting Club, Sporting Geelong- Green and White hoops (Celtic) or navy and light blue (Sporting Kansas) Benefits of the word "Sporting" are that it can be used for future entertainment venues to raise revenue, or for 'multi-sports' e.g. if they branch into futsal, or darts and pool at the club for fat middle aged men like me!

There is already a Barwon SC, and tbh as a Geelong resident, the Barwon River is not what I think of when I think of Geelong lol. It'd be like calling a new Melbourne team Yarra FC.

I think any Geelong team would be playing in blue and white hoops - it's unique in the A-League and, like it or lump it, it is a colour scheme that is embedded in the city through a very successful AFL side. As for the name, something simple as Geelong City FC would be fine imo. If we end up with something bullshit like the Greater Western Victoria Budgies I'll give up lol.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro

Valkanis now commenting that he wants an expanded league.
I think everyone involved wants more teams and pretty soon.
I've put together my own set of criteria that I think would work :
- Bid location - value on population of registered football particpants within 50km/1 hr drive - extra value for derby location- t.v market
- Initial Capital buy in - $5 million licence fee
- Evidence of Working Capital - evidence of at least $5 million or access to same for at least 3 years (ie $15 mil)
- Stadium Deal - Stadium of at least 10k capacity/suitable lights, meets minimum ALeague standards,  with lease signed or pre-lease agreement signed for at least 3 seasons
- Marketing and engagment strategy - Plan mapped out to sign at least 6k members within 2 seasons (that's only CCM levels), and 8k within 5 seasons
- Sponsorship - details of any existing proposed sponsorhsips and likely new revenue from same.
- Details of any connections to agents/likely marquee players
- Last, and actually least- details of how team colours and name will be decided. (mock ups will be usefule to give an idea of how the teamwill engage with the fan base).

for me, those are the criteria. it's really about a financial decision, backing up a sporting ideal. As i see it at the moment, (with only outsider knowledge) i reckon South melbourne would seem to meet most of those criteria. on a personal note, if South got in, i'd like them to adopt the white and red V kit they originally had just to differentiate more from victory.

World Class

MarkfromCroydon - 3 Feb 2017 5:14 PM
Valkanis now commenting that he wants an expanded league.
I think everyone involved wants more teams and pretty soon.

Valkanis is more concerned about his own job being monotonous

Adding 2 more teams to the closed league is just going to make it a bit less monotonous for coaches,

All it will actually do for fans is create 2 more teams whose season will end even earlier.

Expansion talk is just a sugar hit to get Gallop to the end of his contract

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Lakeside looking an absolute treat tonight with the temp stands put in....
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

southmelb - 4 Feb 2017 11:06 PM

temp stands for what??? pics please
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

southmelb - 4 Feb 2017 11:06 PM

I've been meaning to take a peek, do you know when they're coming down?

It would have been great to see Usain Bolt's event, even though he wasn't competing, what a legend!
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Also, anyone know why SM doesn't have any home games until Round 8 in April?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search