The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
chondro - 22 Nov 2018 2:30 PM
Ryan GK1Vukovic GK2Langerak GK3Sainsbury CBDegenek CBWilliams or Jurman CBMilligan CB/DMRisdon RBGrant RBBehich LBGersbach LBLuongo DM/CMMooy DM/CMAmini or Mcgree CMIrvine CM/AMRogic AMPetratos AM/WGoodwin WMabil WBoyle W/SLeckie W/SNabbout S/WMaclaren STo keep an eye onDeng, Dougall, Jeggo, Ikonomidis, Folami, Taggart, Giannou

Ikonomidis could be a bolter ... can play as an AM too I am pretty sure.

I think Deng will be lucky to make it (don't see him displacing any of those you have listed, and not sure they'll take that many defenders).

Dougall I think is injured, so might just be wrong time for him unfortunately.

I'd have Jeggo, Amini, McGree all above Irvine as a CM/AM role (probably slot Ikonomidis and Nabbout in that role before him too). They are all better on the ball and passing then him. Irvines biggest assets are his pressure (Amini out shined him against Lebanon in these stakes) and heading prowess (why I'd have Giannou in the squad ... who in your squad would be that target man??). However, neither are the key attributes I want for my AM when trying to play a possessive style (which they should against all Asian sides). I don't think Irvine suits the style Australia are trying to play unless he is a DM (which you've shown we have great depth there already). He is alright as a AM if we are going to park the bus (because of his pressure but he can't hold the ball up like Rogic did at the WC).
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 3:52 PM
sokorny - 22 Nov 2018 2:07 PM

Taggart was brilliant about a year ago in the HAL - just before a long term injury.

He is nowhere bear that form now.

Giannou was decent against Kuwait, with a superb, well taken goal, but he didn't create enough other shots. Cahill averages about 5-6 per game.

I just think Giannou might need an extended run ... he is in and out of the squad, so hasn't been able to get the confidence up IMO (feeling more part of the squad too he may be more encouraged to shoot ... I know many new players to an established team will try to be the team player when they start out until they earn their stripes to shoot more often). He also can present a bigger target up front than any of the others can ... which could be critical against Asian nations (look at the problems Cahill's leap caused them, or Kennedy used to cause teams ... I think Giannou is the only striker we have who could cause similar troubles in the air). His finish seems more polished than Juric, better with the ball at his feet and faster.
Mr Cleansheets
Mr Cleansheets
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Nabbout can certainly jump.

I was near the fence at Oz v France in Kazan so could see how high he was jumping against the taller French defenders - and occasionally beating them. I reckon there was close to four feet between his boots and the ground on a couple of occasions. No wonder he keeps landing on his shoulder...

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Not sure this is the squad I would take to the Asian Cup - but it is the one I expect with Langerak the third keeper. Kruse and Milligan and possibly Vukovic to go after the Asian Cup or early WCQ. Azani when fit to replace Kruse in the squad.

First XI
---------------------Ryan  

Risdon-----Sainsbury-------Milligan----Behich

--------Luongo----------------Mooy-----------

---------------------Rogic-------------------

-------------Leckie---------Boyle

---------------------Maclaren-----------------  

Second XI     

------------------Vukovic 

Deng--------Degenek------Jurman-------Gersbach

--------Amini----------------Irvine-----------

-------------------McGree-------------------

-------------Mabil---------Kruse

-------------------Juric-----------------

Edited
6 Years Ago by patjennings
zord
zord
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)

patjennings - 22 Nov 2018 4:57 PM
Not sure this is the squad I would take to the Asian Cup - but it is the one I expect with Langerak the third keeper. Kruse and Milligan and possibly Vukovic to go after the Asian Cup or early WCQ. Azani when fit to replace Kruse in the squad.

First XI
---------------------Ryan  

Risdon-----Sainsbury-------Milligan----Behich

--------Luongo----------------Mooy-----------

---------------------Rogic-------------------

-------------Leckie---------Boyle

---------------------Maclaren-----------------  

Second XI     

------------------Vukovic 

Deng--------Degenek------Jurman-------Gersbach

--------Amini----------------Irvine-----------

-------------------McGree-------------------

-------------Mabil---------Kruse

-------------------Juric-----------------

I'd been thinking of this formation and I'd love to see it experimented with
-----------------------Ryan-----------------------------

Risdon------Degenek-----Milligan----Behich

Luongo-----Mooy

Boyle--------Rogic----------Mabil

Leckie

That is definitely a pacey formation that uses all our best players. I think leckie at striker should be tried, ange had used him as a striker and in our last game leckie managed to score off a boyle assist. Also leckie has in fact scored more goals than tomi juric who's considered our best striker despite the fact he hasn't spent much time there. Now we have boyle and mabil we'll have better service. Have nabbout and maclaren as back up strikers on the bench. It might also be worth considering this
--------------------Ryan------------------------

Risdon------Degenek-----Milligan----Behich

Luongo-----Mooy

Leckie--------Rogic----------Boyle

Nabbout

See if nabbout out performs leckie as a striker. I think it's definitely worth trying and the emergence of Boyle and Mabil have definately added something extra to our side. Exciting times

And I'd be happy to see sainsbury take milligans spot he's just a bit out of form at the moment. Needs to be match fit

Edited
6 Years Ago by zord
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

The thing is that the way GA is setting up the nominal wingers are playing more centrally and we are essentially playing with three strikers. The width comes from Risdon and Behich. More people in front of goal means more attempts which hopefully means more goals.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 12:39 PM
City Sam - 22 Nov 2018 10:49 AM

The strength and conditioning coach, Burgess, stated  recently that Kruse and Leckie are the best athletes in the Socceroos. They not only have great speed, but the stamina to keep running hard - something Usain Bolt found difficult.  Even though extremely fast, Bolt said track sprinting  involved a lot of time between races. Bolt said he wasn't fit enough for football.

This is what's wrong with the entire setup... yeah I get it they can run all day long... but can they do the basics? can they trap the ball? can they make a pass? can they actually look up when they are dribbling? can they shoot a target?  if they can't do these things... then it doesnt matter how long they run for.. I get we wanna press from the front but fuck me dead.. its just crazy you got every bloke playing for socceroos they got all the gear.. the gps vests, the special recovery goggles the flashy boots, but some of the semi-pro's playing for lebanon were more skillful.
Edited
6 Years Ago by jas88
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

So who ended up being better Rhyan or Risdon ?

I don't know who played better ...

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Let's pray that Daniel Arzani makes a full recovery. If he does and also... If we can overlook the controversy of somebody who hadn't stepped foot in Australia being selected to represent the NT... I reckon Martin Boyle might as well just play up front. Who else can run at defenders and can finish chances? Sure he may not be a natural striker. But I think given how shit we are up front, his ability up there would translate well enough.

Things look unusually bright going forward. Post Asian Cup, I'm hoping that every match we start with

-----------------------------------------Boyle------------------------------------------

Arzani--------------------------------Luongo--------------------------------Leckie

----------------------Mooy------------------------------Irvine-------------------------

Behich-----------------Sainsbury--------------Deng---------------------Risdon

--------------------------------------------Ryan-----------------------------------------

And virtually every match, Tom Rogic comes on at the hour mark. And maybe Awer Mabil, too.
zord
zord
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)Hardcore Fan (212 reputation)

quickflick - 22 Nov 2018 7:54 PM
Let's pray that Daniel Arzani makes a full recovery. If he does and also... If we can overlook the controversy of somebody who hadn't stepped foot in Australia being selected to represent the NT... I reckon Martin Boyle might as well just play up front. Who else can run at defenders and can finish chances? Sure he may not be a natural striker. But I think given how shit we are up front, his ability up there would translate well enough.

Things look unusually bright going forward. Post Asian Cup, I'm hoping that every match we start with

-----------------------------------------Boyle------------------------------------------

Arzani--------------------------------Luongo--------------------------------Leckie

----------------------Mooy------------------------------Irvine-------------------------

Behich-----------------Sainsbury--------------Deng---------------------Risdon

--------------------------------------------Ryan-----------------------------------------

And virtually every match, Tom Rogic comes on at the hour mark. And maybe Awer Mabil, too.

I dunno whether Boyle looks tall or strong enough as a striker. I guess we could try him there but my gut feeling is that he would be more effective as a winger where he has more space to operate. 

The striker issue is just a bitch to solve. How much longer till we can nationalise bruno formation? 
Anyone know? 
He's 31 atm, heck even a 34 year old fornaroli would be better than what we've got. 
Maybe we ought consider playing like Spain at Euro 2012 without a striker and just overload our side with midfielders which we seem to have an awful lot of :lol:
giannou, juric,maclaren,nabbout they're all shit 
nabbout or leckie for me but I understand that's not their natural position 

Edited
6 Years Ago by zord
chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Ryan
Risdon/Sainsbury/Degenek/Behich
Mooy/Milligan
Leckie/Rogic/Mabil
Boyle

Boyle, Leckie and Mabil all switching.
Edited
6 Years Ago by chondro
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Funny Luongo keeps ending up in many people's lineups yet he can't get on the pitch under 2 managers so far.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

n i k o - 22 Nov 2018 11:07 PM
Funny Luongo keeps ending up in many people's lineups yet he can't get on the pitch under 2 managers so far.

Only cos no Jedi mate.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
sokorny - 22 Nov 2018 3:57 PM
Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 3:52 PM

I just think Giannou might need an extended run ... he is in and out of the squad, so hasn't been able to get the confidence up IMO (feeling more part of the squad too he may be more encouraged to shoot ...His finish seems more polished than Juric, better with the ball at his feet and faster.

Just having a look at the  Kuwait game again, Giannou is our current best target  striker.

The goal he scored was a beauty. It oozed class.

I'm not sure why he wasn't playing against South K and Lebanon? Unless he is currently injured.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

n i k o - 22 Nov 2018 11:07 PM

It was the only thing that puzzled me in Bert's tenure.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

highkick05 - 22 Nov 2018 7:34 PM
So who ended up being better Rhyan or Risdon ?

I don't know who played better ...

Risdon.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

At this stage choosing Luongo over Rogic would be a calculated risk worth taking.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)Legend (29K reputation)

Luongo is still an absolute gem. His worst game was vs Germany in Russia but quickly redeemed himself against Chile.

He was so good away to Honduras on that cow paddock. Full games against Colombia and Czech Republic with the former bringing a MOM performance. First half vs Hungary just fine only to get shafted all tournament in Russia.

Full 90 under Arnold against Kuwait and South Korea. It's actually a shame he wasn't picked up by a better club so soon after the Asian Cup. QPR have had terrible managers and don't particularly play a style he's suited too. How I'd want to turn back time and see him get signed to Italy somewhere in that player of the tournament form.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 11:32 PM
sokorny - 22 Nov 2018 3:57 PM

Just having a look at the  Kuwait game again, Giannou is our current best target  striker.

The goal he scored was a beauty. It oozed class.

I'm not sure why he wasn't playing against South K and Lebanon? Unless he is currently injured.

“I spoke to Giannou last night and explained to him why he wasn’t in the squad for this one,” said Arnold.

“He did great for me in Kuwait but it’s more about me getting the opportunity to look at Jamie Maclaren and Andrew Nabbout.

“It’s about me being able to tick every box with these players and giving them the opportunity.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/apostolos-giannou-has-been-left-out-of-graham-arnolds-latest-socceroos-squad/news-story/60332747ebf6c81630dcebb1a20c949f

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Edited
6 Years Ago by playmaker11
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Luongo's main problem has been positioning, he often isn't in place to defend against the cut back or the long shot

When he has the ball or is near an opponent with the ball he does well
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

grazorblade - 23 Nov 2018 5:37 AM
Luongo's main problem has been positioning, he often isn't in place to defend against the cut back or the long shot

When he has the ball or is near an opponent with the ball he does well

think your right.. when he plays for qpr(last time I saw anyways) he sits very deep almost like a sweeper and doesnt necessarily have to get up and down the pitch... which is what he use to do.. I think he's in a rut.. needs to move somewhere.. seeing him on the bench all the time is dissapointing. 
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

playmaker11 - 23 Nov 2018 4:53 AM

“I spoke to Giannou last night and explained to him why he wasn’t in the squad for this one,” said Arnold.

“He did great for me in Kuwait but it’s more about me getting the opportunity to look at Jamie Maclaren and Andrew Nabbout.

“It’s about me being able to tick every box with these players and giving them the opportunity.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/apostolos-giannou-has-been-left-out-of-graham-arnolds-latest-socceroos-squad/news-story/60332747ebf6c81630dcebb1a20c949f

This style or philosophy of 'looking at players' is completely bullshit. I mean what if one is playing more than the other. 

Serious, they play at their clubs and that should be enough to go on. Using this philosophy is unintellegent and potentially just makes it twice as hard to pick a player imo

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 11:34 PM
highkick05 - 22 Nov 2018 7:34 PM

Risdon.

Yeah that would be my call only based on highlights of the Lebanon game. I did not watch the full match.

Wish to god I watched both, Risdon has had similar games for Perth Glory, where he really bossed that position.

Specifically, intercepting play, going forward and contributing to build up. Was a good surprise to hear he did in the NT.

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

highkick05 - 23 Nov 2018 11:20 AM

This style or philosophy of 'looking at players' is completely bullshit. I mean what if one is playing more than the other. 

Serious, they play at their clubs and that should be enough to go on. Using this philosophy is unintellegent and potentially just makes it twice as hard to pick a player imo

Playing at their clubs when theyre playing different systems to the national team with different types of players around him and different setups makes a world of difference to how you actually play. Use the club form to get them into the squad but from there knowing if they actually gel into the squad is completely different- look at how different Mooy and Rogic play club and national team. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

patjennings - 22 Nov 2018 6:09 PM
The thing is that the way GA is setting up the nominal wingers are playing more centrally and we are essentially playing with three strikers. The width comes from Risdon and Behich. More people in front of goal means more attempts which hopefully means more goals.

this is really the problem we have had recently. as it is the fullbacks that have been our only, outlet we have resorted to crosses into the box from wide positions to "create" our chances. that is fine when you have the aerial threat of Cahill up front but is not really going to be high reward with our current crop of front players. none of them are really suited to this style of play so we will have heaps of balls into the box and "chances" but very low goals scored. 

the front 3 need early balls balls slipped through behind the more central defence from the 10 or 6 which just has not happened as he gaffer has us playing a more slow possession build up style. so we are forced back into the lofted balls into the box from our wing backs. this also doesn't really suite our "wingers" who tend to be more out and out wingers rather than narrow players. 

the best we have looked play wise was in the Asian cup where we played with out and out wingers and mostly 1 DM and really more 2 AM's where luongo was playing his more suited role of mobile box to box AM. since then we have reverted back to 2 DMs and have not looked anywhere near as good. Now more than ever i think we should be going back to that sort of play as we just do not have the aerial threat up front to sustain the slow possession build up leading to crosses from the wingbacks. we have a crop of out and out wingers (Leckie, Mabil, Boyle, Kruse) and creative players that can play the AMs (Rogic and Luongo) with Mooy covering the DM duties. our wing backs can get forward but they dont have to bomb on everytime to be the focal point of our attack. that should make us a bit less vulnerable to the counter and actually plays to the strengths of our strikers (mclaren, Juric, Gianou Nabout) where they dont have to compete for space up front or act as playmakers, just act as poachers. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Like Highkick, I'm perplexed over this thinking from Arnie.

I suggest keeping Giannou around the squad.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Decentric - 22 Nov 2018 8:48 AM
In Ball Possession  Opposition, Australia played a flat midfield 4-4-2 most of the time.

On occasions it looked like a bowl shaped midfield 4-4-2, or a 4-2-4.

......X...............X................X..................X

.....X.................X................X.................X

...............X..............................X

In the South K game, they initially used a half press version of this 4-4-2 in  BPO.

That is, they kept this shape compact, and didn't  really try that hard to win the ball back until the Socceroos went over the half way line.

Later after the goal, when SK realised that Australia was playing with the two FBs so high up  the pitch in Oz's Ball Possession, they increased the press to a Full Press. This is where a team tries to win the ball aggressively in the opponent's half.

Without the width of the Oz FBs closer in a line with the CBs, South K was able to force more turnovers, as Oz struggled to play out with just 2 CBs and 2 DMs.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Ameryn74
Ameryn74
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)Hardcore Fan (285 reputation)

patjennings - 22 Nov 2018 6:09 PM

Considering our weakness is our lack of quality strikers and our strength is our defence (more precisely our defensive midfielders) then shouldn't we be playing a more defensive game? I always thought playing to your strengths was the best way to achieve success.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

RedKat - 23 Nov 2018 11:35 AM
highkick05 - 23 Nov 2018 11:20 AM

Playing at their clubs when theyre playing different systems to the national team with different types of players around him and different setups makes a world of difference to how you actually play. Use the club form to get them into the squad but from there knowing if they actually gel into the squad is completely different- look at how different Mooy and Rogic play club and national team. 

Yeah.. agree somewhat. These players have been around long enough to be flexible to certain tactics. It's baffling that they need to adjust to anything. I would think if they are good enough for a certain position they should be playing it. Luongo anf Mooy DMs , Nabbout is known quantity by now, awesome striker, Goodwin likewise.

It's like we DONT wnt goals or something. Giannou as Decentric was saying, intellegent around the box. (sigh)

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

Alternatively, players like Taggart, Maclaren, even Juric to an extent. Just don't seem to be able to produce anything special. 

By that I mean, it's the NT shirt. You have to try and push yourself , get smart enough to either create an assist or fkn get yourself in a position to score. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search